Tag Archives: stock
Next stop: the Pit of Despair?
by Adam Taggart
Friday, July 19, 2013, 4:41 PM
In the classic fantasy rom-com The Princess Bride, the beautiful maid Buttercup orders the farm boy Westley to perform numerous tasks to test his servitude. No matter the magnitude of the request, Westley simply answers "As you wish" and makes it so. Buttercup eventually comes to view Wesley with similar devotion, and true love is born.
Similarly, investors have fallen back in love with the capital markets, whose continual response their increasingly irrational hopes has been "As you wish."
Daily DigestImage by steve conry, Flickr Creative Commons
Saturday, May 25, 2013, 2:50 PM
- Wealth On A Plane
- Doomsday investors betting on market crash
- Gold & Silver – Markets Provide Us The Best Information
- Dispute Over Budget Deepens a Rift Within the G.O.P.
- States’ Policies on Health Care Exclude Some of the Poorest
- Bison-Loving Billionaires Rile Ranchers With Land Grab in American West
- On The Front Lines Of Food Safety
Daily DigestImage by Investing In Gold, Flickr Creative Commons
Thursday, April 25, 2013, 2:54 PM
- Falling into a Golden Twilight Zone
- Billions flow into the hottest new U.S. housing asset — rentals
- Sugar industry's secret documents echo tobacco tactics
- Goldman Sachs Just Covered Its Gold Short
- Lawmakers warn cost of federal free phone program spinning out of control
- Smartphones easily used to skim credit card data
- Jim Rogers Exclusive: It's a "Race to Insanity"
- Revealed: George Osborne’s secret veto on fraud inquiries
- In Florida, a food-stamp recruiter deals with wrenching choices
- The Retirement Gamble
- As Forewarned, The Irish Savers Have Just Been "Cyprus'd", And There's MUCH MORE "Cyprusing" To Come
- HUSSMAN: The Cover Of The Latest Barron's Is A Screaming Sign Of A Stock Market Top
- Cal Wenzel Calgary Election Video: Developer Outlines Million-Dollar Plan To Influence Ballot
- The coal-mining racket threatening Ukraine's economy
- Norway opens up arctic waters to oil exploration
- The Great Green Wall Of Africa: A 4,000 Mile Defense Against Climate Change
- Brazil congestion delays export of record soybean crop
Daily DigestImage by sacks08, Flickr Creative Commons
Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 3:14 PM
- Blue Angels Grounded by Budget Cuts for Rest of 2013
- Cyprus Faces Risk of Payments Freeeze, Budget Shortfall Looms
- Arizona gold bill moving forward
- Five million households in debt to energy firms
- Fitch Cuts China Yuan Debt Rating on Local Government Borrowing
- French economy stalls as budget deficit grows
- Stately Detroit Homes Rot As Appraisals Stall Sales
- US homeless numbers expected to rise as spending cuts deepen
- Italians' spending power crumbles in recession
- Bass Says Japan Bondholders’ Reaction to Stimulus Telling
- Interest on government student loans set to double this summer
- Americans Skipping Prescription Meds To Save Money
Sunday, January 16, 2011, 4:00 PM
- Data To Show Housing As Economy’s Achilles Heel
- A.I.G. Repays Fed Debt and Looks Toward Big Stock Sale
- Mauldin: Thinking the Unthinkable
- Early Warning: Misflation
- Miliband Environmental Worries Over BP Arctic Oil Deal
- Masdar City ’Energy Positive,’ Produces More Power Than Needs
- Major Environmental Ruling On Coal
Get started building resilience into your life with our ‘What Should I Do?’ guide
Thursday, November 18, 2010, 4:00 PM
- Man Makes Ridiculously Complicated Chart to See Who Owns His Mortgage
- How Hyperinflation Will Happen In America
- World of Worry Wednesday – The China Syndrome
- GM Stock Sale in High Gear
- Bernanke Makes Case to Senators
- Fed Announces New Stress Tests for Biggest Banks
- The Shale Gas Shell Game
- Interview with Chris Martenson: “Prepare for peak oil while there is time.”
From yesterday’s blog, jrf29 writes:
Chris, I’m not sure I understand this. How could baby boomers
outnumber the generation behind them? Total fertility rate for the
baby boomers is projected to settle around 2.1 (approximately equal to,
or just slightly below, the replacement rate).
The fact of the matter is that there’s a "hole" in the demographic profile right behind the boomers.
The chart below is not a "rate chart". The length of the bars corresponds to the numbers of people broken out into 5 year age increments. The longer the bar, the more people it represents.
We can state, unequivocally that there are more boomers than there are people in the cohort behind them.
See that pink box (below)? That represents the boomers. There are more of them than there are people in the next set of three bars.
by Chris Martenson
Thursday, January 1, 2009, 10:26 PM
Eleven months ago, in February 2008, I led a conference at Rowe (MA) along with Becca Martenson and Alejandro Levins. At that time, the current financial crisis was not even on the radar screen for most journalists and investment houses.
We made these financial recommendations:
- Reduce exposure to equities
- 10-50% of “Nest Egg” in Gold
- Watch the markets carefully! Know what to look for.
- 3 months’ expenses “out of the bank” and in cash (and remaining money in SAFER banks)