Would you agree our website kind of s#&%s? We know – we agree! In fact, we’ve been hard at work behind the scenes rebuilding the entire thing from scratch so that you can have the user experience you deserve.
Here is just a short list of complaints many of you have with the site. Being a user of the site for seven years myself before joining the management team, let me just say these are all my complaints as well.
- Can’t find content – searching is pretty much impossible once content disappears from the front page
- Signup process is clunky and confusing
- Comments occasionally disappear for no rhyme or reason
- The FAQ page provides lots of questions, but no answers
- Comments aren’t threaded!
- Premium access sometimes stops for no reason
- Video player lacks basic features
- SPAM filters need refining
Yeah – we’re fixing all that, and then some.
Over the past several months, we’ve been planning and building a shiny new website completely from scratch that will replace the existing one. As you can imagine, there are lots of moving pieces that need to be coordinated in order to migrate so much content:
- Over 150,000 user accounts (some active, some not)
- Over 10,000 posts put out by Chris and others
- Over 137,000 comments made on posts
- Over 146,000 messages posted in our forums
- Over 500,000 files uploaded by Chris and the community
- Over 12,000 private messages exchanged between users (in just the past 3 years)
It all needs to be sifted, sorted, dusted off, reorganized, repackaged, and put in its new home. Oh, and its new home needs to be built. About that new home, here is what you can expect:
- Better organization of content so as to provide intelligent searching and filtering
- Comments that are organized like proper conversations
- More individual control over which content you follow
- Better linkages between past framing content and the more news-y content
- Ability to more easily find and connect with other members of the community
- And more!
So when can you expect to see this land in your digital lap? If all goes well, we’re hoping to get the new site launched sometime in October. We might not get every bell and whistle turned on right away, but when the new site gets launched you can expect to see the meat and potatoes of the improvements all in place.
So hang tight for just a little bit longer. This bucket of bolts still has a little life left in her, but her days are numbered and a hot rod is coming.