Your Chance to Interview Chris

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Your Chance to Interview Chris

Most of you are aware of the podcasts we run (nearly) weekly on the site. We've had notable guests over the past year,  such as Marc Faber, David Stockman, Jim Rogers, Eric Sprott  - 34 in total.

For 2012, we have a very aggressive target list of interview guests. We're going after some truly huge players and we also plan to surface some voices we consider to be hidden gems at the moment.

But, we also thought it would be fun & constructive for our audience to interview the Big Man himself: Chris Martenson PhD.

Now's your chance to ask the good Doctor the questions you've been most burning to hear him answer.

Write your question(s) here in the Comments below. After a few days, I'll compile them, sift out the wheat from the chaff, and then sit down with Chris for a recorded chat - which we'll then post on the site (along with a transcription). We'll answer as many of your questions as we possibly can. 

Looking forward to hearing your questions. Don't be afraid to make them tough!

cheers,
Adam

Marana-br's picture
Marana-br
Is The Crash Course still valid?

Dear Chris,

Do the Course need to be reviewed as some scenarios had changed recently?

regards,

Marcelo Correa Machado

RaviNathan's picture
RaviNathan
IRA Investing

Chris,
My wife and I have IRA's whose investments are restricted to market securities such as stocks, bonds and mutual funds. To invest in precious metals we have limited choices: ETF's such as GLD and SLV appear to be manipulated by short sellers, may be encumbered through (re) hypothecations and are not allocated. Trusts managed by people that you have interviewed on your show like Sprott who hold allocated physical sell for large premiums. For example PSLV, the Sprott silver trust was recently priced fat 30 percent until Sprott issued new units and is still at 12 percent premium to NAV. Are there alternatives that you can suggest for people with IRA's and 401 K''s that are trustworthy and truly hold unencumbered and allocated units?

littlefeatfan's picture
littlefeatfan
Global Warming

Chris, how big of a threat is global warming in your models? 

herewego's picture
herewego
Chris, can you talk about skillful communication of CC ideas?

What a cool invitation!  Questions for Chris....  Next best to having him do a workshop where I live.

By now you must have lots of experience of how people process the ideas in the CC and related material.  Can you share the common sticking places that crop up in peoples' thinking and how you work with them?  (Or anything else that you think would help us become stronger communicators about these big-picture issues.)  I am assuming you have moved past wanting to cry or tear out hair, which is where I end up!

Thanks

Susan

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Dear Chris

Without being to personal a quesion (I hope) - how are your children taking this? Did the move disrupt their lives? Are they dealing with negative peer pressure?

In a similar vein, I wonder how other your relations are taking this whole prepper thing. Did you come under criticism for quitting your job, selling your house, and changing your lifestlye? Feel free to share any parts of this that are not too revealing yet are instructive.

citizenman's picture
citizenman
Where to direct group retirement plans

Hi Chris,

I am a teacher in Canada and in my province, the teachers direct their own retirement plan with contributions from the gov't as well as from teachers.  This is done through an investment firm: Greystone Managed Assets.  What would your recommendation be to direct investments at such an institutional level?  This is only one fund as there are also insurance, health and an income continuance plan that all have their own segregated funds.  The idea is still to put something to the side for the future but also to have maybe have some investment return perhaps through dividends?

This may seem specific to my own situation but I think that there are probably other pension plans that exist in the US as well and if we do have a voice in their direction, what would be some general things to look at to create some change.

Thank you in advance for your consideration to this question.

Wybo

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Question for Chris--

Let me give some background.  I recently read Dmitry Orlov's 'Reinventing Collapse' and then a follow up post on his blog, 'Joined at the Wallet',  in which he sees all of the stalling/kicking the can down the road manuveurs of the central banks as compressing the first stages of his scenario of  5 stages of collapse.  He says "I thought that government interventions in private finance would prolong the agony somewhat; what I didn't think was that they would prolong it even onto the death of the governments themselves!"  So he sees both the financial and political collapse stages happening together without much if any time for 'public psychology' to adjust.

My situation is that my wife and I live 5 days a week in a medium sized city with a population that has a substantial and growing dependence on government subsidies and support and then spend two days in the country at a home in a small community 1.5 hrs away.   I still have my primary income, a dental practice, coming from the city.  We have close friends and religious community committments in the city and good aquaintances in the country.  If things go to hell in a handbasket quickly our plan is to weather the storm in the country and sort out the leftovers afterwards, hopefully in the city. 

Just this week I was reminded of how quickly things in a city can go south when my neighbor's sewer line backed up into his basement.  The loss of basic utility infrastucture will make close living very untenable. If you add probable martial law (if there is government) and limited food, life in the city is not good.

Here are two questions.  #1: Do you consider the sudden break down of private/public systems that Orlov foresees happening as he predicts, or will it continue in a more gradual fashion with time to leave town intact?  #2: Will a city that currently houses 1 million people ever be habitable again after the energy crunch/financial/political storm passes through town?

I know you have reinvented yourself and have moved to the country.  Having already reinvented myself by becoming a dentist at age 40, now at age 60  with a really viable business going, considering doing something big again seems more daunting.  You won't hurt my feelings one bit if you say you can't have your cake and eat it too, so I'd really like you to put yourself in my shoes as best you can and say what you'd do.  I'm hoping there are others out there with similar stories who will also benefit from the experience and knowledge in your answer.

Thanks

James

TimesAwasting's picture
TimesAwasting
How do you keep your head in the game?

Hi Chris,

When I first viewed the Crash Course (back in the fall of 2008), I instantly knew the Truth of your work and believed... it quite literally scared the crap out of me as much of my work and net worth was held in real estate!  I immediately went about restructuring my life and finances, preparing for a future of less, or at least, a future vastly different from the recent past.

I've been grateful for the past several years worth of time in which to prepare; your warnings and sage counsel (along with many other such voices) has even allowed me to prosper, while re-inventing myself! All good stuff!

But I've gotta tell ya, three and a half years of constant vigilance, concern and (honestly) worry, has me plum tuckered-out! I mean some days I am completely drained... mentally and physically. I find it very hard to plan for the future, knowing that all hell could break loose at any given moment. I am frequently and easily angered... by the daily theft, lying and fraud of the Wall Street Banksters... by the blindness, or worse, willful ignorance or maybe just plain complicity of our political leaders... and by the loss of a career that I very much enjoyed.

In fact, anger understates how I feel... what I really am is a pissed-off cowboy!  I hate watching our country and WE, The People get sodomized by these greedy b**tards!!!

So my question (yes, this isn't just a rant) is, how do you keep your head above all the (seemingly never-ending) destruction being wrought? I mean I've only been living between DefCon 1 and DefCon 2 for about 3 and a half years now... you've been pondering and deciphering the EEEs for more than a decade... surely you too must be tired?

Back in '08 the Deficit was ONLY $10 Trillion...  now, just three years later we're closing in on $16T with no chance of ever repaying it... How does this unholy alliance of mother-humping-thieving-b*stards continue to keep this deceptive game afloat??? 

I guess my short, concise question is, how do you keep your sanity (and perform your role as illuminator and info scout) while the Insane Game plays on?

Lars's picture
Lars
IRA Sell & Take the tax hit triggers

Chris,

I have just recently seen "Crash Course" and started receiving these posts.  Thanks by the way, for presenting this material in a systematic and dispassionate way.  Your course is the first thing on issue of a coming crash that I could get my wife to listen to.  Everything else seemed alarmist and overly much like "Republican fear mongering" to her.

Perhaps you have answered these elsewhere already;

1.   For those of use who are not yet ready to get out of our IRAs and take the tax hit are there specific triggers that you anticipate politically, economically or otherwise that would be a definite signal to get out now?

2.   One of the big scenario trolls is loss of employment/income.  My current income covers the bit of shortfall on our commercial rental property, our mortgage on the house, and the plans to develop and move to our agricultural land.  I am a hospital employed physician.  Do you recommend getting out of all debts to pay off the "retreat" property?  Future income from the commercial property until now had been a cornerstone of our retirement plans.

3.    What sources to you monitor to watch for potentially significant developments in Congress or in the propagation of Presidential orders?  E.g. in 2010 the Obama administration floated the idea of nationalizing our IRAs and similar savings and offering goverment backed bonds with "guarenteed" yields as a substitute.  I rather suspect if he wins a 2nd term we would see this again - and its probably equally likely if he is replaced by a Republican.

Thanks,

Lars

cnbbaldwin's picture
cnbbaldwin
Many of us who are

Many of us who are transitioning to a "simpler" more "resilient" lifestyle may be using existing technologies to help in that transition.  Solar systems, both PV and thermal, wind, geothermal, micro hydro as examples of taking more personal control of our energy needs (often at considerable expense), but other technologies used in personal food production, transportation, etc may also be part of our plans.  While these may be considered "logical" decisions to reduce our dependency on more centralized systems that are out of our control, create a smaller energy and environmental footprint and so forth, I worry that a failed inverter, panel, bearing, or any other component of these systems can substantially reduce their effectiveness or render them completely useless if repairs are not possible.  These possible failures could come one day, one year, or ten yrs into the future.  I know there is a large range of possible futures ahead of us, but if you had to assign probabilities how likely do you think it is that the support of these existing technologies will be able to continue into the future?  Do you think system analysis of the inherent weak points should be done now, so as to inventory components that are likely to fail before the useful life of the systems can otherwise be obtained?  I ask the question because, obviously, existing presonal capital would need to be used to inventory replacement parts rather than for implementation of additional planning options.  We have probably all personally experienced or heard of equipment failures that even now can not easily be repaired because of the inability to find proper replacement parts.  As a rule that is why my personal plans try to eliminate the use of more complicated systems (e.g. passive solar vs geothermal) where the choice is feasible. Because low tech solutions are not always possible, I wanted your feedback  for what I consider a very important planning question.

Estatesavr's picture
Estatesavr
echo of safewrite

Chris,

I have three home-school teenagers and a 9 year old with Down Syndrome.  They have watched the crash course, live a homestead lifestyle, and like life on our remote farm.

But ...

But they are 'normal' kids with dreams, hopes and desires and (as I have asked the forums elsewhere here) how do you balance your children's natural optimism with the harsh reality & very real probability of post-peak world in their lifetime?

Can you ever see creating a crash course for teens?  Perhaps a forum here on CM for teens and family?

thanks,

Jake 

Poet's picture
Poet
Poet's Questions

Dear Chris:

Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. Here are mine:

1. What advice do you have for skills, jobs, and careers that may remain viable in the coming 20 years? Do you have anything in particular for parents of young children who have limited time outside of work and child-rearing?

2. What advice for meeting the next 20 years, do you have for those who are elderly, poor, members of religious or racial minorities, those with physical or mental disabilities or those taking care of family members with disabilities (such as autism or MS, etc.)?

3. Are you still hedged 80/20 in your inflation/deflation outlook? If not, how has that changed, and was it recent?

4. I believe you've read John Michael Greer's Long Descent. What do you think of his idea of a long descent for civilization, like stair steps, rather than a sudden collapse into chaos?

5. Do you have an "outside-of-the-US" escape plan in place, or are you pretty much decided on your current home in New England?

Poet

JAG's picture
JAG
Questions...

Greetings Dr. M,

1. How in the world do you write about the same subject matter month after month, year after year, and still make it an interesting read? I find myself doing a great deal of this for my business and I must say that the "creativity-on-demand" aspect of it is not easy. How do you motivate yourself to write?
  2. What is next for you, business-wise? I've been around for awhile and I must say that any normal human in your shoes would be completely burned-out with a near-terminal case of MFS (Macroeconomic Fatigue Syndrome) at this point. If you could completely walk away from CM.com today, what would you pursue next?

Thanks....Jeff

Also, I regret to inform you that Captain Sheeple has a question for you:

The day finally comes to cash in your gold coins, so you go to your safe deposit box and pull out nine bags filled with gold coins and take them to your nearest gold dealer. Upon inspection of the coins in each bag the dealer says "Wow, you have a lot of gold here, but I've got to tell you that one bag is full of tungsten-salted gold coins".

"How do you know that?" you ask. The dealer replies " in one bag, all the coins weigh 1.1 ounces each, instead of an ounce each. The current tungsten alloy being used in fake gold coins is slightly heavier than gold." He then says " I won't report you to the GCP (Gold Confiscation Police) if you can tell me which bag contains the tungsten- gold coins by using my digital scale one time, and only one time."

So how do you tell which bag has the fake gold coins by using the dealer's scale only once?

dmmireles72's picture
dmmireles72
Retirement Savings

Chris, I'm a single guy, work as a Registered Nurse. Have a 403b and Roth IRA. If you were me, would you pull all your money out, pay the taxes due and penalties and use the rest to buy and hold precious metals? What would CHRIS do?

Sincerely,

Matthew
Charleston, SC

GiraffeOK's picture
GiraffeOK
Retirement Savings +1

What is your advice about leaving some money in “the system” (e.g., banks, brokerages, credit unions), especially with regard to retirement funds? Although I have withdrawn about half of my IRA/401(k) money, and have the rest in conservative Stable Value Funds, CD’s, money markets and conservative stocks (< 5%), I am hesitant to withdraw the rest from the system. I wonder if TPTB will come up with some way to indemnify holders of retirement accounts and other accounts that is better than my holding cash and PM’s. I am close to retirement age and my earning years are drawing to a close. I just can’t get my head around storing enough cash and PM’s to last for 20 years of retirement!

rmurfster's picture
rmurfster
Time to buy Silver?

Chris,

A few months ago you were expecting a downfall in Silver prices and said that you would inform us when it was time to buy.  I can't remember if you put out an alert saying you are purchasing (I already did at $26), so, I have the following questions:

1. Silver prices have been and are still down from their highs of around $48/ozt, have you purchased more yet?  Please expound on your decision.
  2. Can you give another update on where you see Silver/Gold prices heading in the near and not-so-near- future?
  3. What triggers are you currently looking at that will influence the prices of Gold/Silver?

Thanks!

Richard

Germanni's picture
Germanni
Student discount?

Hi Chris,

I don't know if this question has been asked to often by others already but I was wondering if you could provide a "student discount" for the internal page.

Please let me explain why:

- Most students (including me) live on a very tight budget. The current rate for the internat part of the page is too big for my available funds.

- Manyof us are well connected and pass the ideas on 3E on. I have bought the CrashCouse book as a gift and led many friends to your homepage but we all are only using the external part due to the high costs associated with the professional membership.

- Most students (again, including me) that I know are not into stocks, bonds etc. so there's little financial benefit that we could gain in case this isdiscussed internally.

- You would reach a broader audience and could help to raise awareness. If you get the students, there's a good chance you reach their families & friends too.

- Each one of us should be able to provide a high school / university enrollment certificate & a personal statement why we should get a discount. It's handled similar on other pages (trendsresearch... etc)

Food for thought. Thanks and pls keep up the good work.

TroyPDX's picture
TroyPDX
Political kabuki

One of the reasons your site has become one of my favorite resources is the fact that you don't  buy into the left/right false paradigm. It seems that the animonsity between the political parties has risen in direct inverse correlation to how little they actually differ.

We are on the threshhold of great changes for our civilization whether we are ready or not. Neither the left or the right have proposed anything even close to a viable plan to address even a fraction of the issues we face.

My question is this: How much do you feel the distraction of this false political dichotomy has actually prevented people from becoming aware of the issues you address in "Crash Course"?  Do you believe that people in high political offices are aware of the coming crises but intentionally don't address it because the solutions necessary to ameliorate the problems would be so painful that they would destroy any chance of reelection? 

Thank you!

shepvideo's picture
shepvideo
Questions for Chris

What's the most likely course for the Great Contraction, financial crash and chaos or a more gradual deleveraging through inflation and energy cost rises?

We as a people are woefully unprepared to fix things ourselves and keep some semblance of necessary services running, because we've been led into a society of extreme specialization.  Should younger folk today concentrate on learning a broad range of practical skills or trust that doing one thing very well will be of value in the future and of greater recompense today?  Of course a lot depends on that "one thing." 

tysonperez's picture
tysonperez
Shale Oil

Hey Chris,

I was wondering if your peak oil calculations have been altered due to the recent discoveries of large shale oil deposits?

shepvideo's picture
shepvideo
re: Political kabuki

Troy,

Nicely put!  A simpler way to state the question,  "Is 'kill the messenger' too much for our political system to cope with?" 

Doug's picture
Doug
Wow, excellent questions

This reinforces my high opinion of the CM community.  Most of my questions will be answered if all in this thread are addressed.  The one that I have is of more personal and immediate interest, what are your plans for Rowe this year?

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Books and Resiliency

What books are on your reading list for this year?

What do you have planned to make yourself more resilient this year?

Nate's picture
Nate
Poet wrote: 1. What advice
Poet wrote:

1. What advice do you have for skills, jobs, and careers that may remain viable in the coming 20 years? 

3. Are you still hedged 80/20 in your inflation/deflation outlook? If not, how has that changed, and was it recent?

4. I believe you've read John Michael Greer's Long Descent. What do you think of his idea of a long descent for civilization, like stair steps, rather than a sudden collapse into chaos?

5. Do you have an "outside-of-the-US" escape plan in place, or are you pretty much decided on your current home in New England?

Poet

Outstanding list of quesions!

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Thank you.

Great questions here!

I will get to as many of them as I can, but perhaps there's more than  one podcast's worth in here.  I really like knowing what is front and center for everyone around here and, as expected, there's quite a lot of diversity in the questions.

Thank you everyone.

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Q's for Chris

Hi Chris,

Spreading these out over a few podcasts is even better idea, please keep 'em coming!

As mentioned on your FB page, I'm sure many others appreciate the opportunity to pose a few questions, some serious, some more light hearted. :)

1) Obviously the people on CM.com are already "converts", ie they have understood and accepted the facts/data presented and have made some plans (however minimal) to ensure they plan for making their own future as positive and enjoyable as possible.

When I mention some of the facts and your theories to friends, people tend to just have a slightly nervous blank expression, as if the subject is simply too depressing or the facts are too much to contemplate.  My hope is that any downward trend will be in stairsteps (as mentioned by others above)

Do you have any suggestions for us that are "on board" in how we present the information to loved ones that maybe not as scientific or analytical in their thought process?  Would be a great shame if they realise the info too late and there's something we could of done to convince them earlier.  Maybe delivered in smaller simplier parcels because the big picture is too much for many to cope with?

2) I seem to remember a partial quote from you along the lines of "I realised I'm not just trying to present the facts, I'm in the business of changing beliefs".   I have observed your work has parallels with that of another great scientist, Richard Dawkins.  His work in presenting scientific facts has resulted in changing many people's world views and beliefs.  ie They have accepted the facts that the existence of the Universe does not require supernatural creator, they evolved on from former religous beliefs and embraced Humanism.  The moral goodness we have comes from natural selection.  I observe that your secular indifference to polictical or religious affliation in the Crash Course and your recommendations for living together, is an example that we can cooperate, build tighter communities and lead more fufilling & richer lives.

Have you read/seen any of Richard Dawkins?  Has his work influenced your world view?

3)  I do appreciate the serious nature of the situation that faces us, however I've found your dry humour helps in podcast interviews, the more entertaining the better.  Also how do you "unplug and switch off" from it all, (other than your family). i.e.  What makes you laugh, any favourite comedians/music/films, etc.

4) When are you next visiting the UK, would be great if you did some more presentations?  I'm sure some of our Universities would welcome you with open arms!

Again thanks for this great idea to interact.

All the best, enjoy your weekend(s)

Cheers

ScubaRoo

ao's picture
ao
Dawkins has just another religious orientation
ScubaRoo wrote:

2) I seem to remember a partial quote from you along the lines of "I realised I'm not just trying to present the facts, I'm in the business of changing beliefs".   I have observed your work has parallels with that of another great scientist, Richard Dawkins.  His work in presenting scientific facts has resulted in changing many people's world views and beliefs.  ie They have accepted the facts that the existence of the Universe does not require supernatural creator, they evolved on from former religous beliefs and embraced Humanism.  The moral goodness we have comes from natural selection.  I observe that your secular indifference to polictical or religious affliation in the Crash Course and your recommendations for living together, is an example that we can cooperate, build tighter communities and lead more fufilling & richer lives.

Have you read/seen any of Richard Dawkins?  Has his work influenced your world view?

Dawkins has a religious orientation which is that of atheism.  Disbelief is a belief.  So he's assuming he knows when, in fact, he can't know for certain because he's not omniscient.  I'd have more respect for him if he were an agnostic which I think is a very honest orientation, given our limitations.  What he presents are mostly theories, not mostly facts.  And there are many, many people who disagree with him and present information which is at odds with his information. 

Here's just one outstanding scientist who disagrees with him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Ross_(creationist)

Here's a doctor who has accumulated the largest database in the world on near death experiences (NDEs) in the world who would also disagree with him.

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Afterlife-Science-Near-Death-Experiences/dp/0061452556

I can tell you from talking to literally thousands of people over the years, there are a great many of them who have had experiences of a spiritual nature (that they are often afraid to talk about because of ridicule from people like Dawkins) that transcend the physical world.  And they were not hallucinating, delusional, psychotic, etc.  The nature of their experiences often confirms facts and realities in the physical world which could have no other source than a (spiritual) world that is beyond the 4 dimensions that are most commonly referenced.

Besides scientific inquiry, there are a myriad of anecotal accounts pouring in from all over the world of spiritual experiences.  While some of them come from liars, some from lunatics, some from attention grabbers, etc., they are many, many valid experiences.  I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

The question one must ask oneself is, exactly what criteria would be necessary for one to prove the existence of God and a supernatural world beyond our normal senses and our 4 dimensional construct of the world?  Whatever level of proof would be offered, one could always find a way to dismiss it and rationalize non-existence.

In an area separate from this discussion, another thing that Dawkins has come out strongly against is "alternative" medicine.  One of the areas of alternative medicine that he has attacked has been homeopathy.  However, he is simply wrong.  There have been double blind studies conducted including one that I'm aware of in the British Medical Journal that prove homeopathy indeed works.  Having a valid explanation for precisely why it works, however, is a different matter.  But then again, in science, we have often used things effectively (electromagnetic waves and fields, for example) without fully understanding how they work.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
AO... you said the "H" word.

You have inadvertently hit upon one of my hot button issues.... Homeopathy... if you had also mentioned ChemTrails in the same post, my head would have exploded     More on that in a minute.

Like ScubaRoo, one of my great frustrations is my inability to get the minds of others opened to the distinct possibility that our future is going to be very different than our past.  I mull this all the time... what is the "hook" that will be effective for many who are still in the matrix?  Is there one sub-topic that will be bring about a lasting recognition that something is amiss for the average sheeple?  If I had one question for Chris, it would be along these lines;  What is the most effective means to achieve that initial "aha" moment when you have maybe just a few minutes to make your case?  I know Chris has the "one chart" of debt growth that he uses... but this is still I think too esoteric for most to comprehend without a longer treatise on the nature of our debt money, etc.    

My thinking is that the one area most everyone can rapidly wrap their minds around is the cognitive dissonance one experiences between mass media headlines (perpetually on the cusp of recovery) and the much more dire outlook found in the blogosphere/alt. media (collapse ahead).  CHS did a wonderful piece on this last week;

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogjan12/corporate-media01-12.html

The Corporate Media in the U.S. is a handmaiden to the Financial and Political Elites, issuing simulacra of "news" and "analysis" in service of the Status Quo.

If there is any America "industry" ripe for widespread discrediting, it is the U.S. Corporate Media--the six corporations that own most of the media outlets the conventional American sees, hears and reads. This week's theme is You Can't Fool Mother Nature For Long, and this is how it plays out in MediaLand: when the disconnect between the actual economy and what the American people are told is factual and true about the U.S. economy and its Financial Elites by their Corporate Media widens to surrealism, then the conventional American who has passively accepted propaganda in place of reality will finally abandon belief in the "fairness and integrity" of the Mainstream Media, and see it for what it is: a corporate house of prostitution, where everything is for sale to the highest bidder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few comments on Homeopathy:  While I won't say that the placebo effect is not real... or that there is not power in intention... there is so much we have yet to understand about the mechanisms of our universe at the quantum level.. Homeopathy is grounded in ideas that are demonstrably false, and I have my own particular qualms with it based on my own expertise.

1)  http://theconversation.edu.au/doctors-orders-debunking-homeopathy-once-a...

"If the former sounds a bit like alchemy, that’s because it is. “Like cures like” is a fundamental principle of medical alchemy, endorsed by no less than the father of pharmacology Paracelsus.

Homeopathy reflects this idea because when its founder Samuel Hahnemann first formulated his approach in 1796, alchemy was on the wane but still influential."

2)  I have a background in trace analytical chemistry.. .and here is my own particular peeve about Homeopathy that I have not seen expressed in other discussions;  At the ultra-trace analytical level - there is simply no such thing as absolute purity.  Even the highest quality deionized, or distilled water will still have maybe 0.1 part per billion, or 100 parts per trillion of (total) organic contamination.  

My point is simple - to the non-chemist, it is possible to picture in one's mind the few molecules of active ingredient, or even the "memory" of it, in the pristine bulk of water.  To me, the bulk is not pristine.. in fact it's a sea of "additives", most of which swamp out the "signal" of the active ingredient by 10 or more orders of magnitude.  The reality is that the "active" ingredient has been diluted down with water containing countless other organic and inorganic contaminants, at levels much, much higher than the intended ingredient.  What we have here is a classic signal-to-noise problem.. .where your body, the intended target of this homeopathic "signal", is never going to receive it because, and thank God this is so, we have evolved a certain ability to tolerate low levels of all kinds of otherwise bad acting chemicals through the mechanisms of our liver, kidneys, DNA repair mechanisms, etc.  

Just for illustrative purposes, here is a worked example of how many molecules of atrizine exist in a liter of otherwise pure water that contains 1 part per billion (ppb) of the pesticide.

http://www.lenntech.com/ro/atrazine.htm        

The bottom line is pretty astounding.. and makes my point;      N = 2.79 x10EE15... yes, that's 10 to the 15th power molecules!!!!!

russiaways's picture
russiaways
Is Debt Fiction?

I've always had a problem conceptualizing debt as described in the Crash Course and while reviewing it yeterday I just stopped at Key Concept #6  "Debt is a claim on future human labor".  Now it all makes sense while Chris explains it but I have the feeling that I've just taken an excursion through an Escher drawing considering only one perspective.  As the couse goes on to demonstrate that total cumulative debt is unsustainable I come to the point of disbelief, if debt is a legitimate claim but leads to an illogical result (eventually claiming all future human labor) what gives?

Apparently that becomes the crash but could it not also be a viable perspective to just abandon the concept as an inapropriate fiction whose usefullness as a story has run it's course.  It may appear as debt forgiveness and that implies something was wrong to start with.  That is the perspective I hold. 

When debt is incurred (a loan to build a house) it merely alocates present labor and materials towrd that end but they all exist in that present, as well as enough food and shelter for most people, etc.  As it gets paid back materials and labor go on to other projects in real time, the "extra" needed to pay the debt seems to be a fiction of the monitary accounting system but it is this that "grows" and is put to use allocating new resources but they exist and must be available in the present to be of any use.

It seems to me that all this accumulation of debt (and interest and printing) merely distorts appropriate uses and tends to accumulate power and decision making.  The crisis of the moment is coming to terms with so many distortions over so long a time that rebalancing will be a difficult process.  But there is still plenty to work with and much of it waiting in the wings (unemployment, unused capacity) for appropriate deployment.  Unfortunately, by attempting to save the old story of how the world works we lose valuable time needed to readjust. 

If debt was seen as an illusion, a deception we applied to ourselves perhaps we could just drop it as no longer useful and get to work on a new story for the world we find ourselves in.  It would make for a lot of losers in terms of power and influence of those now holding the cards but without a new and improved perspective we all stand to lose by interpreting reality incorrectly. 

ao's picture
ao
My apologies for the thread

My apologies for the thread hijack but I just wanted to reply to Jim.

Jim,

With all due respect, I'm not sure what your point is.  If your point is that homeopathy doesn't work for the reasons homeopaths say it works, I agree with you.  If your point is that homeopathy doesn't work, I strongly disagree with you.  You can consider the placebo effect and intention that is operative with an "allopathic remedy" (i.e. a pharmaceutical) that is inappropriately used and it will not create the same positive effect as a homeopathic remedy appropriately used.

I'm not talking about homeopathy used by some New Age whackadoodle who doesn't have a clue as to what science is nor how homeopathy should be correctly applied.  I'm talking about a well trained, experienced homeopath, homeopathic medical doctor, or homeopathic veterinarian applying it as it should be applied.  I've seen consistent and reproducible successes again and again and again, not only in humans but also in animals (and the animal doesn't know what the remedy is supposed to do).  As for your first link below, it's simply wrong.  There are studies, good studies, double blind studies that support the effectiveness of homeopathy.  Jim, consider cui bono.  I could tell you stories about how physicians on the dole (Vitamin D comes to mind), physicians whose egos have been hurt by being made to look foolish by an alternative health practitioner or non-physician authority (Gary Null comes to mind), pharmaceutical companies protecting their bottom line (substances from statins to serratiopeptidase come to mind), etc., have distorted science and outcomes for financial benefit as well as ego gratification ... again and again and again.

If you're an engineer, you understand science and you probably also have some acquaintance with the history of science.  That history is filled with a plethora of situations that some scientific authority of the time pronounced as impossible only to be proven completely wrong by some upstart who didn't know it was impossible and discovered the impossible to be very possible.

It's interesting but your statement, "At the ultra-trace analytical level - there is simply no such thing as absolute purity." reinforces what the homeopaths have been alluding to for years.  They don't understand the science but they do understand the ultimate physiological outcome.   

But the science you mention below brings up an interesting point.  When I was examining the evolution vs. creation issue and the topic of the "primordial soup" came up, I decided to do a little math.  Looking at just one of many proteins in a cell membrane which is a highly complex structure but just one part of a cell with many, many other ultrastructural components that have to come together in an extremely precise way to allow life to come to be and perpetuate itself, I decided to look at what the probability was of a 400 amino acid chain sequence protein forming randomly.  I computed the known volume of water on the planet and the number of possible chemical reactions that could occur in a known volume of water (let's say a cubic centimeter) in a known unit of time (let's say a second).  The number I got was so astronomically huge that there is no way in hell that such a protein could randomly form in billions of years, much less the extremely complex and interrelated array of lipids, proteins, and carbohydrates that form single cell life nor would those compounds remain stable in an oxidative atmosphere being bombarded by UV light.  To me, the math showed it was an virtual impossibility.  And for that process to occur again and again defies any kind of reality. 

BTW, I have great respect for engineers coming from a family in which many of my male ousins were engineers (many with PhDs) including one who was instrumental in NASA and the Apollo Project.  I was considering going into electrical engineering myself but personal experiences of a physical, psychological, and spiritual nature drew me into the field I'm in and I've never regretted it.  It's given me a macro perspective that I never could have gotten another way.  It was what I was meant to do.  That fact that I'm as busy as I've ever been with work even in an economic downturn reinforces the correctness of that decision.

P.S.  I've never said this before but it's "ao" not "AO" (kind of like e.e. cummings).  ao is a little s*** spot on the universe.  AO is something else.

Jim H wrote:

You have inadvertently hit upon one of my hot button issues.... Homeopathy... if you had also mentioned ChemTrails in the same post, my head would have exploded     More on that in a minute.

A few comments on Homeopathy:  While I won't say that the placebo effect is not real... or that there is not power in intention... there is so much we have yet to understand about the mechanisms of our universe at the quantum level.. Homeopathy is grounded in ideas that are demonstrably false, and I have my own particular qualms with it based on my own expertise.

"If the former sounds a bit like alchemy, that’s because it is. “Like cures like” is a fundamental principle of medical alchemy, endorsed by no less than the father of pharmacology Paracelsus.

Homeopathy reflects this idea because when its founder Samuel Hahnemann first formulated his approach in 1796, alchemy was on the wane but still influential."

2)  I have a background in trace analytical chemistry.. .and here is my own particular peeve about Homeopathy that I have not seen expressed in other discussions;  At the ultra-trace analytical level - there is simply no such thing as absolute purity.  Even the highest quality deionized, or distilled water will still have maybe 0.1 part per billion, or 100 parts per trillion of (total) organic contamination.  

My point is simple - to the non-chemist, it is possible to picture in one's mind the few molecules of active ingredient, or even the "memory" of it, in the pristine bulk of water.  To me, the bulk is not pristine.. in fact it's a sea of "additives", most of which swamp out the "signal" of the active ingredient by 10 or more orders of magnitude.  The reality is that the "active" ingredient has been diluted down with water containing countless other organic and inorganic contaminants, at levels much, much higher than the intended ingredient.  What we have here is a classic signal-to-noise problem.. .where your body, the intended target of this homeopathic "signal", is never going to receive it because, and thank God this is so, we have evolved a certain ability to tolerate low levels of all kinds of otherwise bad acting chemicals through the mechanisms of our liver, kidneys, DNA repair mechanisms, etc.  

Just for illustrative purposes, here is a worked example of how many molecules of atrizine exist in a liter of otherwise pure water that contains 1 part per billion (ppb) of the pesticide.

http://www.lenntech.com/ro/atrazine.htm        

The bottom line is pretty astounding.. and makes my point;      N = 2.79 x10EE15... yes, that's 10 to the 15th power molecules!!!!!

1)  http://theconversation.edu.au/doctors-orders-debunking-homeopathy-once-a...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments