You Like Drywall?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
You Like Drywall?

this is  a repost of an earlier post as i got sideways with jason ...............once again but i am not taking it personally.

as if the u.s housing industry needs any more bad news. (i happen to be a card carrying member of said industry) we now find on top of lead toys, tainted pet food, tainted fish, etc. and dont forget a great many of our pharmaceuticals and supplements are mede in china. we now find that the drywall they send us is a toxic waste dump.

ever wonder what they do in china with the flyash from all those coal plants in china? well now you know they make drywall out of it. we of course just pile it up and wait for a flood to create an epa superfund site but that is another thread and i really should not hijack my own thread.

if you google chinese drywall you will get over one million entries. i picked a few off the first page check them out especially if you live in a new house or apartment or if you have copper and silver that is corroding before your eyes which might be a little irritated along with your lungs but the drywall is not responsible. i rike chinese food tho.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ie34H2mMpMrC4-J4CKISFNwcEe3AD97H4QK80

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/04/11/Fla-officials-investigate-Chinese-drywall/UPI-92651239478495/

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/990750.html

http://www.usnews.com/articles/science/2009/04/11/chinese-drywall-poses-potential-risks.html

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies
used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.
In this April 8, 2009 photo, Mary Ann Schultheis displays the black
dust that is covering the copper tubes in the air conditioner in the
second story of her Parkland, Fla. home, while speaking about the
problems that she is having with her house.

Now that decision is haunting hundreds of homeowners and apartment
dwellers who are concerned that the wallboard gives off fumes that can
corrode copper pipes, blacken jewelry and silverware, and possibly
sicken people.

Shipping records reviewed by The Associated Press indicate that
imports of potentially tainted Chinese building materials exceeded 500
million pounds during a four-year period of soaring home prices. The
drywall may have been used in more than 100,000 homes, according to
some estimates, including houses rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina.

ps this is showing up in humid areas (southeast) right now, it might show up later in drier climates all over the u.s.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Re: You Like Drywall?

I changed the title of the thread.  I'm trying to build togetherness, not the opposite....

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
You Like Drywall?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: You *ike Drywall?

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

My intent and my purpose are clear - I want the written word on this site to operate just like spoken words in real life.

Since I would personally consider it bad taste for me to use "rike" directly to an unknown oriental individual in person I fail to see how it's appropriate when used here in printed form.

It's a simple litmus test really and I will quote the relevant portion of the posting guidelines:

We expect people to maintain the same level of civility in posting that they would use with their words at the dinner table at a wedding. Before drinks are served.

But perhaps our goals are misaligned.  Mine are to spread the messages contained in the Crash Course as far and as wide as possible and to do so while having fun and maintaining my dignity.  My goals do not include creating just one more spot on the internet where people "go for it" under the thin guise of free speech when what they really mean is "free to say stuff through my keyboard that I would never say to an actual stranger."

If your goal is to have those sorts of conversations there are literally thousands of sites where that goes on.  We are trying to create something different here and in fact we are all working very hard behind the scenes to accomplish that. 

Being as civil and careful in our posting as we are in our actual conversations is an important part of that equation.

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin

I agree 100% with Chris.  Bigoted and insensitive remarks have no place on this board.  It degrades the integrity of the site.  Anyone who wants to use that kind of language can take it somewhere else.  Personally, when I see this kind of thing, it makes me not want to pay attention to the post.

becky's picture
becky

I also agree with Chris.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
cmartenson wrote:

Being as civil and careful in our posting as we are in our actual conversations is an important part of that equation.

I wholeheartedly agree and fully appreciate your goals.  It is unecessary to question my motives, as I have made it clear in numerous posts that I support your mission and abhor rude behavior.  I object to hurtful conversation whereever it occurs, and I have gone on record objecting to same, directly and overtly, on this site, on numerous occasions. 

Apparently, I didn't make my point well, or I chose a poor occasion on which to express it.  My concern, as I have communicated elsewhere, is with the volume of rude behavior that goes unchecked, while a relatively lighthearted joke is censored.*  Perhaps this is best attrituted to the ratio of post volume to staff size.  I'd be happy to discuss this more explicitly, but in the interest of this community, that conversation would best be held offline. 

* I have no particular attachment to the way this forum was originally titled, I simply saw it as a striking contrast to the many rude comments, clearly not suitable to polite company, that are allowed to stand.  I would concur that it may be appropriate to rephrase the title.  I just personally don't find this kind of humor offensive, even when it is applied to my own ethnic group.  My view is that we are diverse, and that diversity is sometimes humorous.  If the context of the remark included a clear intent to inflict psychic pain or intimidation, I would feel very differently.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
c1oudfire wrote:
cmartenson wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree and fully appreciate your goals.  It is unecessary to question my motives, as I have made it clear in numerous posts that I support your mission and abhor rude behavior.  I object to hurtful conversation whereever it occurs, and I have gone on record objecting to same, directly and overtly, on this site, on numerous occasions. 

Apparently, I didn't make my point well, or I chose a poor occasion on which to express it.  My concern, as I have communicated elsewhere, is with the volume of rude behavior that goes unchecked, while a relatively lighthearted joke is censored.*  Perhaps this is best attrituted to the ratio of post volume to staff size.  I'd be happy to discuss this more explicitly, but in the interest of this community, that conversation would best be held offline. 

* I have no particular attachment to the way this forum was originally titled, I simply saw it as a striking contrast to the many rude comments, clearly not suitable to polite company, that are allowed to stand.  I would concur that it may be appropriate to rephrase the title.  I just personally don't find this kind of humor offensive, even when it is applied to my own ethnic group.  My view is that we are diverse, and that diversity is sometimes humorous.  If the context of the remark included a clear intent to inflict psychic pain or intimidation, I would feel very differently.

Re this post and your previous one - since you have previously referred to yourself as a "crotchety old nurse", I have only one thing to say:

Physician - heal thyself!

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
SamLinder wrote:

Re this post and your previous one - since you have previously referred to yourself as a "crotchety old nurse", I have only one thing to say: Physician - heal thyself!

Yup, Sam, I'm perfectly comfortable with self deprecation and self-examination.  I'm also comfortable with disagreeing with persons in power,  group thinkers, and bullies. 

Ready's picture
Ready
c1oudfire wrote:

Yup, Sam, I'm perfectly comfortable with self deprecation and self-examination.  I'm also comfortable with disagreeing with persons in power,  group thinkers, and bullies. 

Will you realize when you have become one of those bullies you despise? It seems dangerously close to being a bully to go to someone else's house and tell them how to run it, no?

Moderator Jason's picture
Moderator Jason

Jokes which gratuitously subject a broad ethinic group to puerile mockery are not permissible.  Political correctness does not enter into the equation. 

I think a note may be in order to clarify how the moderation system works here at

We moderators are not proxies of Chris Martenson
Both of us are independent volunteers.  We are not compensated for what we do.  While Chris sets the forum rules, we apply those
rules without any case-by-case interference from Chris or his
staff.  Beyond a general interest in Chris's excellent academic work,
much of which is reflected on this site, neither of us has any
particular incentive
or desire to censor one group over another.  I recently ejected a friend of
Chris' from the site.  I think I can speak for myself, as well as our
other moderator, when I say that we both bring strong principles of
fairness to our jobs, and would not do anything which we feel is
fundamentally unfair.  We have received no back-room directives or
secret charges, and the only factors we use in deciding what posts to remove are the same
posting guidelines available to all users.

While
it is unfortunate that some feel that moderation is intentionally targeted, this is
not the case.  To be frank, if Chris wanted to change the rules of the
website, he would not need to implement it through secret plans.  What would
be the point?  Changes to the rules, to they extent that they are made,
are done openly.  The rules posted on the forums are the rules.

In my opinion, the
moderation system here is a strength of the site, and is equivalent to a monarch who could have appointed a Cardinal Richelieu, and who has instead appointed an independent judiciary.

While
I am a moderator of this site, I will make my decisions based on an
independent, fair, and conservative interpretation of forum guidelines as they are laid out.

c1oudfire wrote:

My concern...is with the volume of rude behavior that goes unchecked

You may have noticed that
your own post was flagged.  It was flagged by another user who felt that it was a
personal insult to Chris and wanted it deleted.  "Rude" is open to a great deal of interpretation, and aggressive moderation cuts both ways.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Ready wrote:

Will you realize when you have become one of those bullies you despise? It seems dangerously close to being a bully to go to someone else's house and tell them how to run it, no?

First, I made no demands that Chris conform to my wishes.  Yes, I did offer my viewpoint to the highly intelligent, well respected, and determined founder of this website. . . . . . Bold, yes. . .  a bully, no . . .You see, I fully understood that I was risking the ire of the site's founder, who clearly has more credibility and power than I do on his website, as well as the pile-on reponse of other members.  I took that risk, and I am willing to graciously take the [expected] punishment for that action, out of sincere concern for what I consider to be a very valid mission. 

I would not presume to tell Chris or anyone else how to run their home, web site, or mssion.  If you reviiew my post, I was making an observation and expressing concern.  My boldness in doing so comes from my respect for Chris, a genuine affinity for his mission, and the observation that he is a big boy who can respond to criticism with cirsumspection, introspection, and with respect for the messenger.  I am sure that he is capable of taking the communication under consideration, and either seeking more information, or clarifying his position, which he has done.  I believe that Chris and I are both adult enough to disagree and question each other, frankly, and directly, without resorting to name calling, belittling, and generally unbecoming behavior.

I have expressed my concern, and will continue to watch the degree to which this website is a forum in which ideas can be expressed freely, honestly, and with dignity. 

Chris made a very accurate observation that there are plenty of websites in which very unrestrained communication prevails.  I would also point out that there are plenty of news and information sources where the content is so filtered that it is essentially useless.  Those extremes are of little use to anybody.  It is my sincere wish that CM is able to walk that line between incontinence and suppression, facilitating the discovery and implementation of true solutions.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
c1oudfire wrote:
Ready wrote:

First, I made no demands that Chris conform to my wishes.  Yes, I did offer my viewpoint to the highly intelligent, well respected, and determined founder of this website. . . . . . Bold, yes. . .  a bully, no . . .You see, I fully understood that I was risking the ire of the site's founder, who clearly has more credibility and power than I do on his website, as well as the pile-on reponse of other members.  I took that risk, and I am willing to graciously take the [expected] punishment for that action, out of sincere concern for what I consider to be a very valid mission. 

I would not presume to tell Chris or anyone else how to run their home, web site, or mssion.  If you reviiew my post, I was making an observation and expressing concern.  My boldness in doing so comes from my respect for Chris, a genuine affinity for his mission, and the observation that he is a big boy who can respond to criticism with cirsumspection, introspection, and with respect for the messenger.  I am sure that he is capable of taking the communication under consideration, and either seeking more information, or clarifying his position, which he has done.  I believe that Chris and I are both adult enough to disagree and question each other, frankly, and directly, without resorting to name calling, belittling, and generally unbecoming behavior.

I have expressed my concern, and will continue to watch the degree to which this website is a forum in which ideas can be expressed freely, honestly, and with dignity. 

Chris made a very accurate observation that there are plenty of websites in which very unrestrained communication prevails.  I would also point out that there are plenty of news and information sources where the content is so filtered that it is essentially useless.  Those extremes are of little use to anybody.  It is my sincere wish that CM is able to walk that line between incontinence and suppression, facilitating the discovery and implementation of true solutions.

(above bold/underline added by me)

c1oudfire,

I sincerely hope you are referring to definition #1 and not definition #2!

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/incontinence

incontinence:

Etymology

From French incontinence, or Latin incontinentia.

Pronunciation

• (UK) IPA: /ɪnˈkɒntɪnəns/

Noun

Singular
incontinence

Plural
uncountable

incontinence (uncountable)

1. (dated) Lack of self-restraint, an inability to control oneself; unchastity.
    • 1749, Henry Fielding, Tom Jones, Folio Society 1973, p. 119:
      Allworthy was sufficiently offended by this transgression of Jones;
      for notwithstanding the assertions of Mr Western, it is certain this
      worthy man had never indulged himself in any loose pleasures with
      women, and greatly condemned the vice of incontinence in others.
  2. (medicine)
    The inability of any of the physical organs to restrain discharges of
    their contents; involuntary discharge or evacuation (of urine or feces).
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
c1oudfire wrote:
Ready wrote:

Posted on: Wed, 03/04/2009 - 13:43  post #157 by c1oudfire
Re: Why Religion and Politics should never be combined

Sam;
I am bound by my faith to speak the truth when others' propagate untruths.

today:

I would not presume to tell Chris or anyone else how to run their home, web site, or mssion.

Hmmmmm. On March 4th you say one thing. Today, you say something else. Appears that you adjust your posts conveniently.

BTW, I have personally been chastised by the Moderator 2 or 3 times (appropriately so). You will note that I have never complained in "open court" about that. Nor have I complained that anyone else is receiving special attention.

I have even been a participant on threads that have been deleted by the Moderator in their entirety. So it goes.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And for my final shot, I don't think lambasting the owner of this site is good manners - you should return to diplomatic school and take a refresher course. Calling yourself a "crusty old nurse" does not give you any special attack privileges.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

This was a well-and-truly hijacked thread which, when you get right down to it, is frowned upon around these parts.  Guilty as charged. Embarassed

But I think this is a good conversation to have.

First, if there's any apparent "unevenness" in moderation response it is due to how thin we are spread and the fact that some degree of judgment and subjectivity goes with the territory.  I have given my complete faith to the moderators and heartily applaud all they've done.

Second, I changed the title because of the fact that forum titles display on the front page where they are featured prominently.  Anybody cruising by after being directed here by, say, the recent John Mauldin linking could have gotten what I consider to be the wrong impression about this site and the people who hang out here.  

You'll note that I left a similar comment inside of the original post itself because I reasoned that the only people who would see it would have taken the active step of clicking and reading that post and that it would then be mainly seen as belonging to Joe2Baba, not the entire site.

That was my thinking at any rate.  I am very conscious of creating a site where someone's grandma or boss could stop by on their recommendation without creating any social discomfort for them.

With that said, here's a small foreshadowing...the site is about one week away from the launch of a complete overhaul and redesign that will largely ameliorate most, if not all, of these concerns...

Stay tuned!

Jarhett's picture
Jarhett

I don't like dry wall anymore

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
cmartenson wrote:

This was a well-and-truly hijacked thread which, when you get right down to it, is frowned upon around these parts.  Guilty as charged. Embarassed

But I think this is a good conversation to have.

First, if there's any apparent "unevenness" in moderation response it is due to how thin we are spread and the fact that some degree of judgment and subjectivity goes with the territory.  I have given my complete faith to the moderators and heartily applaud all they've done.

Second, I changed the title because of the fact that forum titles display on the front page where they are featured prominently.  Anybody cruising by after being directed here by, say, the recent John Mauldin linking could have gotten what I consider to be the wrong impression about this site and the people who hang out here.  

You'll note that I left a similar comment inside of the original post itself because I reasoned that the only people who would see it would have taken the active step of clicking and reading that post and that it would then be mainly seen as belonging to Joe2Baba, not the entire site.

That was my thinking at any rate.  I am very conscious of creating a site where someone's grandma or boss could stop by on their recommendation without creating any social discomfort for them.

With that said, here's a small foreshadowing...the site is about one week away from the launch of a complete overhaul and redesign that will largely ameliorate most, if not all, of these concerns...

Stay tuned!

Chris,

This thread has been a good way to clear the air regarding how the Moderators operate. Hopefully, all who read this thread will come away with a better understanding of why things are done the way they are.

That said, you now have me absolutely intrigued with your final sentence. I await the overhaul with anticipation! Surprised

BTW, will the current forums be archived for historical reference or will we be starting with a blank slate?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
SamLinder wrote:

Posted on: Wed, 03/04/2009 - 13:43  post #157 by c1oudfire
Re: Why Religion and Politics should never be combined

Sam;
I am bound by my faith to speak the truth when others' propagate untruths.

today:

I would not presume to tell Chris or anyone else how to run their home, web site, or mssion.

Hmmmmm. On March 4th you say one thing. Today, you say something else. Appears that you adjust your posts conveniently.

BTW, I have personally been chastised by the Moderator 2 or 3 times (appropriately so). You will note that I have never complained in "open court" about that. Nor have I complained that anyone else is receiving special attention.

I have even been a participant on threads that have been deleted by the Moderator in their entirety. So it goes.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And for my final shot, I don't think lambasting the owner of this site is good manners - you should return to diplomatic school and take a refresher course. Calling yourself a "crusty old nurse" does not give you any special attack privileges.

Firstly, the two incidents are not equivalent; in matters of faith, an entirely different set of standards applies (in my life) than in matters pertaining to social rules for a website.  I don't expect you to understand the reverence with which I regard my faith.  For me, faith trumps all, and even silence can be a denial of one's belief.  That doesn't work well on a secular website, which is why I kept my participation in that particular forum minimal, and I wholeheartedly agreed with the discontinuation [by site management] of the The Religion and Faith thread, and emailed the moderator to say so.  Out of respect for the fact that this is Chris' "house", I avoid all but the most succinct references to faith, and ask those who inquire to email me to pursue a more in-depth conversation.  But it would be impossible for me to express myself fully and honestly without any reference to faith, as my faith is integral to my being. 

Secondly, I have never demanded that anyone do things my way, but I am guilty as charged of being assertive about expressing myself when I felt the cause was just.  As to demanding that someone believe as I do, or demanding that CM do things my way, either would be absurd and impossible. 

Clearly, I can stand the heat.  I take a great deal of it every day . . . every time I stand up for something I believe is right.  I realize that living a principaled life is out of vogue, but fashion has never been a guiding principal for me.

There's a difference between people who are willing to boldly speak up and take the heat, and those who simply enjoy bickering.  I do not enjoy bickering, and this is why I largely ignore most thoughtless remarks.  Many people have no desire to consider anything but their current perception.  I try to discern which ones have a sincere desire for information, and which are only looking for confirmation of their own position.  I chose to express my concerns to CM because I perceive him to be a competent, resilient, and capable of hearing criticism, weighing its merit, clarifying any misconceptions, and taking action to resolve any valid complaints.  What's more to the point is that I believe that he can stand the heat, and come out stronger. 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Ken C's picture
Ken C

I prefer lath and plaster over drywall.Smile

However, drywall is much less expensive to install.

Ken

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
SamLinder wrote:

BTW, I have personally been chastised by the Moderator 2 or 3 times (appropriately so). You will note that I have never complained in "open court" about that. Nor have I complained that anyone else is receiving special attention. I have even been a participant on threads that have been deleted by the Moderator in their entirety. So it goes. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I had to read this a couple of times to realize that you were implying that my motive in broaching this subject with Chris was in response to being chastised by the moderator.  For clarity, let me set the record straight.  I have never been chastised by the moderator.  Nor have any of my posts been edited.  This post was in response to what I perceived as an overall uneven application of the rules.  My concern was with how the website is perceived.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
c1oudfire wrote:
SamLinder wrote:

BTW, I have personally been chastised by the Moderator 2 or 3 times (appropriately so). You will note that I have never complained in "open court" about that. Nor have I complained that anyone else is receiving special attention. I have even been a participant on threads that have been deleted by the Moderator in their entirety. So it goes. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I had to read this a couple of times to realize that you were implying that my motive in broaching this subject with Chris was in response to being chastised by the moderator.  For clarity, let me set the record straight.  I have never been chastised by the moderator.  Nor have any of my posts been edited.  This post was in response to what I perceived as an overall uneven application of the rules.  My concern was with how the website is perceived.

c1oudfire wrote: This post was in response to what I perceived as an overall uneven application of the rules.

And my post was to point out that there is not "an overall uneven application of the rules." Those who deserve to be "chastised" are "chastised", no matter who it is.

It has been my experience that the Moderators are very even handed across the board. From newbie posters to veteran posters, we are all subject to the same guidelines. If we abuse them, we are rightly warned, and even ejected, if the Moderators deem it appropriate.

Frankly, I found your approach in this thread to be quite abrasive and unfounded - hence my reaction. It is a testament to Chris and the Moderators that our exchange, and others, are allowed to persist on this board in the interests of transparency.

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I offer again the wise council of my wife, to wit: "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."

Set's picture
Set

It seems ironic that the USA knows all about the quality control and environmental issues surrounding many of the products that we buy from the Chinese and China knows about the issues surrounding the “Money” with which we buy these products.  It seems like we’re getting what we pay for and they’re being paid with a currency that is essentially what their products are worth.     

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Set wrote:

It seems ironic that the USA knows all about the quality control and environmental issues surrounding many of the products that we buy from the Chinese and China knows about the issues surrounding the “Money” with which we buy these products.  It seems like we’re getting what we pay for and they’re being paid with a currency that is essentially what their products are worth.     

Now *that* is a really cogent summary of the issue.  I wish I'd thought of it...which is how I know I like it.

The wife & I would love to have a log home (although they're not all that energy-efficient in terms of heat retention) and have a number of "log home porn" catalogs as I call them.  "Ohh yeah, that porch is swwweeeet...<drool>"  One nice thing about them is...no drywall (Chinese or otherwise).

VIVA -- Sager 

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Set wrote:

I agree with Sager - that is such a well put together thought! My compliments!  Laughing

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Sam;

I think Chris, Jason, and I have worked this out.  Your comments have been duly noted, several times.  Let's give it a rest.  Good night.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

sager

i am a disciple of bucky fuller you know the guy who invented the geodesic dome, there is a music festival in blk mtn nc called leaf it is one of the best in the country i used to go there twice a year. it is on 600 acres of what used to be the black mountain college. some of the most brilliant minds in america taught there including bucky , einstein, robert rauschenberg and others. there are some beautiful murals by diego rivera.

anyway the main stage is right smack dab on the site where bucky built his first dome.

bucky's mantram was "do more with less" log cabins are the antithesis of that mantram. having watched the crash course you know by now that building a log cabin is about as impractical an endeavor as could be imagined for a home.

as some one involved in construction for 38 years i can tell you we have come a long way. there are much more efficient designs out there.

as far as drywall goes you dont have to use it. and if you want wood walls you can use thin pieces of just about any wood. oil it and you are done. my personal favorite is blk walnut and with any wood i use the lower grades  the ones that mostly resemble me you know knots, checks, reaction wood, and warps ............stuff with character. straight vertical grain fas is boring.

as far as the currency being worthless tell that to the people who worked their asses off for that worthless currency to buy a new house and now cant live in it or sell it ...................i love the compassion of the thought almost as much as the humor

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments