You bet your garden

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
bluestone's picture
bluestone
You bet your garden

I'd like to recommend a nice podcast called "You bet your garden" hosted by Mike McGrath.  This is a show that is played selected markets across the country on NPR, but is also available in podcast on Itunes.  Mike McGrath is an organic gardener with a broad depth of knowledge.  His show is mostly call in questions.  He does a great job troubleshooting the callers' gardening problems and has an entertaining way of speaking.

He also has a website: http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/index.html

Brian

ao's picture
ao
Re: You bet your garden

bluestone,

Very valuable post.  Thanks!  You solved our tomato problems (at least for future years).  If I may sum up what I learned (before going back and taking notes to make sure I got it all right):

1) It can be too hot for tomato growth since high heat can damage pollen (such as has occurred this summer).

2) The smaller the tomato type, the better they do in the heat which explains why cherries do better than plums do better than full size.

3) Plant tomatoes deep to take advantage of cooler soil to withstand heat.

4) Don't mulch early so as to allow soil to warm up earlier to allow earlier planting but once growth is established, mulch.

5) Water in the morning not in the evening, since evening moisture makes tomatoes more prone to disease.

6) Give them a long soaking rather than short watering. 

7) Plant tomatoes to take advantage of morning sun but have them shaded from the hottest afternoon sun.

I want to go back and listen again when I have more time tomorrow.  I could be wrong up some of these and I realize that some of these principles like the long soaking are fairly fundamental.  Forgive me for any errors since I'm the novice gardener in the family and basically just provide the labor as my wife directs me, not the know how.;-)

land2341's picture
land2341

Got into the tomato battle this summer!  I have grown tomatoes every summer for years and only in the last three have I had significant issues.

DH and I disagreed over one plant's placement,  me arguing that it was getting too much sun him saying there was no shade in the farmer's field!  The thing started to succumb to a blight and then got horn worm so I fed the entire plant to the chickens.  They enjoyed both plant and caterpillars!

Thanks for the link,  this has been a bad harvest year for us,  it made it clear how far we had to go to be more food self sufficient.  We'll be eating grape and apple products all winter,  got a decent amount of feed corn,  less sweet corn,  got ten lbs of potatoes but that doesn't last long,  lost all of our beans to something,  and am losing my pumpkins to downy mildew and an orange beetle.  Yell

bluestone's picture
bluestone

ao

Im a novice gardener myself and am just getting started.  My tomatoes have actually done well this year, but mostly due to luck.  I actually haven't explored Mike Mcgraths website much yet, but plan to in the future.  The podcast is a nice resource especially on my 1/2 hour commute.

Brian 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Tomato plants    Last year I cut holes in cardboard flats  this year I mulched with straw .    The cardboard was by far the best ,  both years I got a lt of tomatoes but lost too many in the weeds this year .

For  years I had  great vine crops  but  lost the vine crops this year  . . ..Squash and cucs .  I am going to try again on Monday  using the tips  given here and hope there is enough time  to get some yet .     Many here in our area  are having the same  story .  Maybe too much rain early and now to hot .  It had to be the moth worm as McGrath said .

Thank you for sharing .

FM

Tycer's picture
Tycer

Thanks. I live on podcasts and eggs. I'll give it a listen.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

Being both a poor and reluctant typist, I will post a link that has folks who will wisely advise cures for all your gardening woes. I've not the ability to explain but am concerned for yawls gardening education.

robie,  http://www.thebayougardener.com/ watch videos, join forum,(i hope ive done nothing wrong)

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Thanks Robie ,  

Half my problem is that I think I ought to be able to send the 12 year old down and pick the tomatoes  and such .   Then  He does a half ass job and does not even say that the okra is   six inches long .    Now there is okra , carrots , tomatoes  ,peaches ,pears , and elderberries all ready at the same time .   

I am a sidetrack  sister  that has a hard time saying no and takes on too many projects .  I should have told my family no we can not go to the lake until the garden is checked .      I have got to figure  out what to quit  !!!    

FM .

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Ok first thing tomorrow  I am going to go strip my tomatoes !    I hope you are right .

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
robie robinson wrote:

Being both a poor and reluctant typist, I will post a link that has folks who will wisely advise cures for all your gardening woes. I've not the ability to explain but am concerned for yawls gardening education.

robie,  http://www.thebayougardener.com/ watch videos, join forum,(i hope ive done nothing wrong)

Thanks, Robie!  -And I care WAY more about learning what I can learn from your knowledge, skills and insights as an experieinced, successful farmer (yes?) than I do about typing skills!  If anyone has given you grief about that, they have their priorities serioculy mixed up right now! 

Please, as another novice/struggling gardener, keep your advice coming!!!! 

-pinecarr

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

I love the calender   Is there a place to get one for zone 5 ?    Maybe I am in the wrong spot on the Bayou site .    I really have my doubts that we have time to plant squash again because the locusts have been singing a long time and a frost will be expected by first week in Oct.  Hoping to get more fall crops in tomorrow . OOPs no my calender says weed , prune,  and harvest on the full moon 

Eggplant how do you preserve them ?    I was also given a squash from Philipenes and I would like to try to save the seeds for next year . How about pear tree suckers  will it be time to plant them soon ?   Ok I had better get to looking at the sites more .

It is really a weird year .  The walnuts are dropping early , the peaches are late , the pears, plums, elderberries  are all early . It is so very hot out but the sun is quickly fading .     I think it would be a good thing to journal and keep our own calender ... But that is one more thing to" Honey Do . "    My basement  is over flowing and I need to get  shelves built and root cellar dug .  But yeah... I found a pile of used lumber to build the shelves on Saturday !

We had a great time meeting with other preppers today but I am ahead of the rest and they are all tied down even more  with jobs , community ,and church volunteering . 

What have any of you decided to give up doing  so you have more time to devote to home and prepping  ?   I feel selfish here when others are trying to save the world and worried about gobal things  when it is just all I can do to help in  my little corner of the world . Many things I am not ready to fight for or have hope that it is in my  power to change .  Heck none of us even knows if we have a tomorrow .  I am doing good to , forgive , love, trust for the day ... and as simple as I am I will rejoice and be glad  for every blessing

FM

V's picture
V
Full Moon wrote:

I love the calender   Is there a place to get one for zone 5 ?    Maybe I am in the wrong spot on the Bayou site .    I really have my doubts that we have time to plant squash again because the locusts have been singing a long time and a frost will be expected by first week in Oct.  Hoping to get more fall crops in tomorrow . OOPs no my calender says weed , prune,  and harvest on the full moon 

Eggplant how do you preserve them ?    I was also given a squash from Philipenes and I would like to try to save the seeds for next year . How about pear tree suckers  will it be time to plant them soon ?   Ok I had better get to looking at the sites more .

It is really a weird year .  The walnuts are dropping early , the peaches are late , the pears, plums, elderberries  are all early . It is so very hot out but the sun is quickly fading .     I think it would be a good thing to journal and keep our own calender ... But that is one more thing to" Honey Do . "    My basement  is over flowing and I need to get  shelves built and root cellar dug .  But yeah... I found a pile of used lumber to build the shelves on Saturday !

We had a great time meeting with other preppers today but I am ahead of the rest and they are all tied down even more  with jobs , community ,and church volunteering . 

What have any of you decided to give up doing  so you have more time to devote to home and prepping  ?   I feel selfish here when others are trying to save the world and worried about gobal things  when it is just all I can do to help in  my little corner of the world . Many things I am not ready to fight for or have hope that it is in my  power to change .  Heck none of us even knows if we have a tomorrow .  I am doing good to , forgive , love, trust for the day ... and as simple as I am I will rejoice and be glad  for every blessing

FM

FM

For saving time and energy I suggest an easy way to get rid of weeding.

The high dollar way is to buy a roll of black plastic. Get your ground ready, roll out the plastic put holes in the plastic however far you need for the particular plant. You can punch them or use a propane torch and burn them in. Plant the plants and use drip irrigation. cover it with a thin layer of mulch to keep the plastic from getting too hot and degrading. End of weeds .

The cheapest way is to get the plastic for free from the local lumber yards. The bundles of lumber come wrapped in polyethylene tarps. They are usually white on one side and black on the other. I use them white side up in summer and black side up in winter and when I want to solarize an area. The tarps are great for a lot of things.  Just ask Ben Bernanke.

Hope this helps.

V

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

Its the "Forum" top of Bayou Gardener sight that'llget you advice. There are seasoned gardeners of every persuasion.

What zones are each of yawl?  We're zone 7 and fall cabbage plants(52 of'em) are 4"'s tall.

Advice, concentrate on learning to both like and preserve foods that require little to no energy imputs for preservation, saurkraut

is an example, requiring neither refrigeration nor canning.

robie,gotta feed bottle babies 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

thank you  robie ,      I was having a hard time believing that Cajun  was doing the totally weedless garden without chemicals or helpers.

I do have crocks to put kraut in  but  with thyroid challenges in the family  Cabbage,broccoli , and cauliflower are not something we are suposed to eat much of : (     I even make cucumber Kimchi  instead of cabbage . But you know we would eat it rather than starve ... we like it .  

This is kind of funny .. there was a kraut  crock already buried in the yard when we moved into this place . I had no idea what it was for !    I kept wondering where in the heck the outhouse was and never found evidence one .  The people before us had taken out the fish tank   and my city boy husband freaked that a cat had a litter of kittens in the cistern under the back porch so he filled it in before I told him what it was .    Anyway there are advantages to finding old farmhouses to buy  ... but  the amount of money it takes to rescue them may be as much as starting over .   Best bonus is the  trees already established , fruit , nut, and shade .  The folks we had over yesterday made fun that we have an outside claw foot tub and shower out at the hand pump well  .  I thought everyone has one to clean up before they go in the house !    I told them I did not think *Big Brother Satellite *was checking that close to what was happening on this little farm .  Suppose someday I had better get one of the kids to close it in .  The black barrel is doing a wonderful job heating up the water .

We were not even allowed to up the bid on the farmstead down the road  : (    that place was so set up with above ground  brick water tank , radio tower, wood furnace , and everything ...even a deer stand !    Just needed TLC .  The older couple just needed to move into town  as they could not keep the place up and the kids had taken off to the city .    If the new people  bring hunters in from the city  it will not make for good neighbor relationships .

My bottle babies wait a lot later ,  but it is last years baby that does the hollering  " MOOOOOORE , MOOORE  grain".   I see the chickens out there picking up every little bit of grain she drops out of her mouth .

Thank you too  V.   I am hitting the lumber yard this week !     Going to use up  some gas and crack out the tiller .   I must say that digging the carrots  and beets out of the raised bed was fun for the grand babies ....   like a treasure hunt .  But raised beds  take so much more water !

I too hope the people who are worried about us dragging the site down just stay over in the world /economy events and  let the   diggers and pickers  do what we think we are lead to do to prep.

Off to picking elderberries before it is too hot . Sure wish I  liked wine, the fruits are wonderful this year and it was not very hard to make .   Guess juice will have to do for this family .

FM

PS.  I had my teachers tell me not to waste my time learning to type ...  very  right brained  they said.      Wow even if I had flunked I would have been ahead of the game .   I guess they never dreamed we would be using home computers .

V's picture
V

FM

Sell the tiller. It destroys the soil. Dog planted everything without one. Put lots of organic material down in the fall or whenever you take out the last of any crop, cover with lots of organic matter leaves work well especially when mulched with a mower, wet it down real good and cover with the tarps (black side up. In the spring you will have nice fluffy ground you won't have to till. Just pull the tarps off plant or do it the way iI suggested in the other post. You will have the worms working for you instead of fossil fuel eating machines.

V

ps i suggest a read of Plowman's Folly

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Thank you thank you !       I am excited today ... I picked my first grapes from my vines !    Making juice right now .  Smile

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Full Moon wrote:

Thank you thank you !       I am excited today ... I picked my first grapes from my vines !    Making juice right now .  Smile

Jealous! I've got five grapevines and not a single grape left. Three young boys that constantly graze through my raspberry patch and grapevines equals healthy happy kids, but nuttin' left for dad. The berries hardly have a chance to ripen.  I guess 'sour grapes'  is all I get!

Southerner's picture
Southerner

Robie, many thanks for the link.

It is so helpful because he is in my part of the world!  We have the best food in the US (I know, I'm biased) and the gardens just make it better.

And I need all the help I can get. I have limited experience and I expect a 5-10 yr learning curve.

The best way I have found to avoid weeds is to have raised beds of really good garden soil in 4'x4' and 4'x8' 2x10 boxes.  The only problem is limited production with such a small area compared to lots of long tilled rows.  I think weeds are just the price one pays to have a nonraised bed garden.

Southerner in Cajun land

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments