WWOOF

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ruethewhirl's picture
ruethewhirl
WWOOF

I'm a citified person and my job is winding up soon. In light of the lessons provided by the Crash Course (better to be prepared for a situation that doesn't arise rather than not be prepared for a situation that does), I have been considering using WWOOF as a way of helping to transition from where I am at now, to something more akin to what I've been reading about through this website - less reliance on conventional models, community, self-reliance, etc.

Anyone here have any experience with WWOOF? Are there any Martenson Brigade people who run a WWOOF setup at their place or even just recommend good people they know of who do?

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit
Re: WWOOF

What is WWOOF ?

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit

Nevermind.  We just realized what it is.  Sounds like a. great opportunity to learn and grow (pun intended)  We did start a community garden in our neighborhood this year and have 50 families growing veggies in 4' x 16' raised beds.  We also have a regular service of receiving a big box of fresh home grown organic veggies from small local farmers every two weeks.  This should come in handy if food becomes unavailable at the local supermarkets.  Good luck with your adventure.

ckessel's picture
ckessel

I'm a brigade member but I don't recognize wwoof. Can you elaborate. The best I could do is:

"Where in the World are you Organizing Others to grow Food"

My gut tells me this is not even close!

Coop

ruethewhirl's picture
ruethewhirl

I'm really sorry I didn't explain the acronym, didn't think I'd have to - It's Willing Workers On Organic Farms. It's a worldwide program whereby people can come stay on a farm for 2 weeks or longer with free accommodation and food in exchange for work on the farm.

Some people treat it as a working holiday type of arrangement where you can actually travel across a country, farm-hopping, or so to speak.

I thought it would be a good way to get a taste of the life.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments