Would you survive? "The Colony" on the Discovery Channel

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
horstfam's picture
horstfam
Would you survive? "The Colony" on the Discovery Channel

I know information about this TV series was posted deep in another thread, but I felt it might deserve mention again- as its own thread. Here's a description:

What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? How would you find food? Water? Shelter?

The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10 weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable society.

With no electricity from the grid, no running water and no communication with the outside world, all the volunteers have to work with are their skills and whatever tools and supplies they can scavenge from their surroundings.

Experts from the fields of homeland security, engineering and psychology have helped design the world of The Colony to reflect elements from both real-life disasters and models of what the future could look like after a global viral outbreak.

And here is the link for the videos of 5 episodes:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony/

The one thing I took away from watching just one episode is that I definitely do not want to be in an "urban" setting when TSHTF.  What are your thoughts, ideas?

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Would you survive? "The Colony" on the Discovery Channel

Thanks Horstfam, sounds like something I would be interested in checking out. I'm downloading the first 10 episodes off of the usenet right now. Once I watch some of it, I'll be back to discuss it here.

Thanks again....Jeff

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I'd seen some of this show before, and it was quite interesting.  One thing that struck me as a little too "ideal" is that almost everyone had occupations and skillsets that were highly useful in such a situation (engineers, nurses, handymen, etc).  I understand that they wanted to show what kind of improvisation is possible and all the things that can be built from junk parts, but in a truly representative sampling of the population you'd have more people from occupations of little or no use in this situation ("an investment banker you say? well I guess you at least know how to clean out a toilet...").  To give an example, I happen to be an engineer but most of the work I've been doing in the 4 years since college would have little relevance to that situation, so aside from some core engineering material remembered from college it would mostly be my skills of personal interest that would be most relevant.  But overall that's a minor quibble and the show did keep me interested.

Yes an urban setting, or at least that one, is not necessarily the best place to stay in a SHTF situation.  I understand the people running the show had planned out a specific series of events to subject the colonists to which is why they stayed in their compound as long as they did, but if that were an actual situation I imagine they'd have left the city much sooner.  In their environment the possibilities for growing or catching food seemed close to nil, and scavenging for canned and storable food is only a short-term solution.  Probably the best thing to do would be to secure the compound and any food, water, and useful supplies and weapons in the immediate area, then formulate a plan and means for getting out of the area ASAP.  Even if there's no two-legged predators to worry about, at some point the canned food will run out so you'll have to move out regardless. 

- Nickbert

JAG's picture
JAG

I've watched the first couple episodes and I think Nickbert is so right about things being a little to "ideal" and scripted. Some of it is so ridiculously contrived that it is laughable. But I really like the idea behind the series, even though it cannot be realistically executed.

It is entertaining if you are interested in the subject matter, which I am, so thanks horstfam for bringing it to my attention.

BungeeBones's picture
BungeeBones

I've done "homesteading" in both a rural area and an inner city area and by far, the urban area was much much easier.

I heated with wood in the city and since most urbanites are clueless about survival there was free fuel all over such as pallets.. Later I started a tree removal business and got paid for gathering my and my neighbors  winters supply of heat.

My neighbor in the city location was an old world Ukranian that had a huge vegetable garde and the most awesome ccherry tree. You had to race the birds though because they would clean that tree in a day.

When the gas situation gets bad the mass transit is always a priority to get theirs.

And the markets are in the cities so even if you are rural you'll still need to get to the markets for some things anyway.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments