Would you buy a new car from this President -- PLEASE?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
machinehead's picture
machinehead
Would you buy a new car from this President -- PLEASE?

This morning, a CNBC panel was discussing the woeful news -- because the Big Three have closed a lot of production during January, the parts makers will have no receivables in February. So they need a bailout too. As do the Big Three themselves, having already chewed through most of their initial $17 billion dole.

Finally, one analyst got down to the nub of the matter. Autos are only selling at a 10 million unit annualized rate -- too low. "Obama has got to get car sales back up to 12 million," he announced.

I burst out laughing. Welcome to the Soviet Union, comrades. Our president is now a car salesman. He is concerned not with meeting the grain and tractor production quotas, but rather with raising the auto production quota in our wheezing centrally-planned economy.

Any resemblance between this macabre freak show and a mythical "free market" is purely coincidental. I don't know whether to laugh, cry or take a dump.

Money mouth GOT CRACK? Money mouth 

Kathy Nestell's picture
Kathy Nestell
Re: Would you buy a new car from this President -- PLEASE?

Machinehead

If I ever could host a Chris Martenson party supprt party You woild be the first I would invite. what a hoot you would be. We could laugh and cry together, but I think we should pass on the dumpSmile

Arthur Vibert's picture
Arthur Vibert

That's hysterical.

I want to live in their world, where a president can wave a magic wand and make people buy cars.

<sheesh>

Arthur 

bearing01's picture
bearing01

We already have too many cars here in the US.  I have three, one more than I really need.  I'm sure I have three more than most people in the world.   We need to export our cars.  If we can't compete in that market then maybe we should produce something else.

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Well, Kathy, if that day comes to pass, I'm going to glue on a pair of pointy-topped Vulcan ears and impersonate US TreasSec Timmy Geithner.

"Folks, I'm here either to FIX this economy ... [dramatic pause] ... or FIX IT WHERE IT CAN'T BE FIXED!"

"Ah ha ha ha  ... now if you'll excuse me, I've got an intergalactic flight to catch at the Spaceport."

"HAVE YOU FLOWN A FORD LATELY?"

* picks the leaves off Kathy's avatar and stumbles into the street mumbling to hisself * 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Sorry....  but you can keep your cars!  We too have too many, and besides, American cars are rubbish.

In any case, cars are finished.  When the big three go belly up some time in the next three or four months, they should be told to go away, and the factories re-tooled to manufacture worthwhile things like wind turbines and solar panels. 

All the cars we now own should last until the oil totally runs out.

The tax on my car, you might like to know, ran out June 2007.  I parked the car, with the keys in it at the side of our property, and that's where it's been ever since.  I now get around on my $6500 carbon fiber bicycle, because everything I do is LOCAL.

My wife still has a car, a 20 year old 1.6L compact that does 35MPG.  We've only kept it because she's a nurse, and usually comes home when bus drivers are neatly tucked up in bed.  She only works five days a fortnight too.

I fully expect we will have fuel shortages this year, the beginning of the end is nigh.  The fascination with cars leaves me.... befuddled.

Mike 

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Mike,

Don't be too befuddled. Obama is trying to get people back into those abandoned Detroit houses and paying taxes again so he can gift them back to the manufacturers. It's the new America!

I think Chrysler and GM will be gone by June.

Coop

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments