World Made By Hand, Aaron Moyer and synchronicity

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
suesullivan's picture
suesullivan
World Made By Hand, Aaron Moyer and synchronicity

So, I'm reading World Made By Hand, by Kunstler, on DH's recommendation, (only he got to read it last year before we became aware of the unfolding collapse, and I'm reading it the day after the Feds announce they're revving up the printing presses, and I'm *way* too freaked out to enjoy it as a work of fiction), and I come across a minor character in the book named Aaron Moyer! Since the character is hardly dashing enough to take on as a screenname (he's a latter day serf taken captive and suffering from severe diahhrea), I'm thinking it's just a weird synchronicity that there should be a character in a post-peak-oil speculative fiction novel with the same name as a prominent poster here.

DH, who never reads here, was underwhelmed by this eerie coincidence and I just wanted to tell someone who might show a glimmer of interest. So, that's pretty much the entire point of this post. Have you read the book yet, Aaron?  

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Re: World Made By Hand, Aaron Moyer and synchronicity

I don't mean to sound like a jerk because I don't think your intent is malicious.

However, as one of the former adminstrators of a 13,000 member messageboard, our staff always considered it to be highly inappropriate to ever start a thread based on another poster. We referred to them as "call out threads". 

This is an extremely bad precedent and I'd highly advise that policy be enacted to prohibit it in the future. 

Because sooner or later someone will do it out of malice. 

Besides, it's kind of disrespectful anyways. 

BSV's picture
BSV

Agreed, with respect. This is inappropriate.

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

oh really? I had no idea. I certainly didn't mean it as so. Feel free to delete it, powers that be. I don't think that I can delete it myself

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Beats me why....  all sue wants to know is if Aaron read the book...

grl's picture
grl

I agree with DTM (for once). Am I missing something? This is getting too PC (or something) for me.

Septimus's picture
Septimus

I have been on at least hundreds of boards since the early 1990s and have never heard of this rule of proper behavior in a situation like this. It is obvious to me that this was an item of amazing coincidence being brought to the group, not one where Sue was trying to offend Aaron or anyone. Thus, I personally consider it an appropriate post.

I would like for Aaron to weigh in.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Lisa. I am the last from being PC. That's a red herring.

Go ahead and let it happen. 

Then watch what comes out of it. Put it this way. I thought it important enough to mention here.

Sue seemed cool with my comments. But to be honest, your argument that it's "PC" I've seen all over the internet anytime someone objects to a request for messageboard ettiquette. It's a non sequitur in most cases.

Septimus. So have I. And have seen callout threads tear a board apart. This one is quite innocent. Wait until the board gets really big, you have hundreds of people in the forum at once, and I mean posting, not lurking, and someone voices an opinion that's very unpopular. Sooner or later that person's name is going to show up in a thread title. Then the fight is on. But you know what? I am not a moderator. Let them decide. I am just voicing an opinion, that's all. I'm saying from experience as an admin on a really big, very active board, that this starts out innocent, then inevitably becomes a malicious tactic if the board contains contentious topics. 

ceci1ia's picture
ceci1ia

On the WeLL, which is another online community I know about, the
information in the first post would have been sent as private e-mail,
rather than starting another whole topic on it. General housekeeping is
very important in that forum, and that's a different place, so maybe it
doesn't apply here.

I'm not saying anything about your post sue,
I like what you say. Just FYI, I was posting about World Made By Hand
over in the general Kunstler topic, if you'd like to go over there and
talk with me about it. 

Septimus's picture
Septimus

MGhandi and ceci1ia,

Fair points taken. I tend to not use the extremely populated boards for reasons such as MGhanmdi states, the noise level of total absurdelity is crazy. I can believe I have glossed over the innocent comment that started a flame war in the past as I don't pay too much attention to them.

Thanks for the feedback.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

huh?

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Wow,

First and foremost - absolutely no offense taken.
Thanks to those who looked to stop 'flaming' before it started, but I don't get that impression at all...

It's a bizzare coincidence, but I'm neither a serf, nor suffering from severe diarrhea, so beyond that I can't imagine that there are any other similarities. But that's now, and I'm young. Who knows what the future holds? ;)

At any rate, a google search for Aaron Moyer comes up with quite a few of us, it's not real common, but I've run into lots of other Moyers and Aaron is the first name in the baby book... soooo... maybe just a lazy writer?

All that said, I haven't read the book - I'm sure it'd be impossibly distracting seeing my name all the time.

Sue, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think it's really funny, and I've got to admit - my jaw dropped when I saw the title of this thread. Curiosity, big time.
By the way, who is DH?

Cheers!

Aaron

Ready's picture
Ready
Aaron Moyer wrote:

By the way, who is DH?

OK, for once I'm the one who knows the acronym instead of you! What a small victory for me! Cool

I spend most of my time reading your posts with a second google window open so I can look up all your military acronyms!

Dear Husband of course, or were you looking for name, rank and SN so you could post his name in the title of a thread?

hehe, happy Friday everyone!

Best,

Rog

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Rog,

Ahah!

I guess I could start clearing out acronyms like LP/OP, LoD and ORP now that I'm in the Air Force haha.

Who needs that Army jargon? I'll make space for FWIW, IMHO, IIRC and of course, the newest addition, DH.

Cheers, and happy friday!

Aaron

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

I second joe's "huh?"

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

I think I need to make one more comment. But please don't let this post hijack the theme of the thread.

I need to apologize to all of you, particularly Sue, Lisa, Septimus, and Aaron.  And explain why I posted what I did. Not an excuse, but an explanation. When more than a handful of folks shake their heads, it's time to look in the mirror and engage in introspection rather than continue on a line of thinking.

I commented on the thread title because, as an admin on a large board during the Israeli-Jennine crisis several years ago, a normally docile political forum exploded with a thread title along the lines of "Hey so and so, ever been to Israel?" It started out innocent, but by the end of the evening all hell had broken loose and several members ejected. By day three we were talking about shutting down the forum for a cool off period. So when I saw Aaron's name in the title, it put me in a bad place.

But that's my issue, not yours. There are too many differences between that crappy experience and this board. Specifically,

1. We are united in a common cause where we occassionally disagree only on specifics, not principle. The politics board's issue was arabs v israelis. About as contentious as one can get.

2. That board has an average intelligence and average maturity level. Tossing out a number, I'd say this forum ranks in the top 1% in terms of maturity and adult demeanor. And the folks here are highly intelligent.

3. Judging from the immediate response to this, it's pretty apparent that NO flame-throwing call out thread would EVER be tolerated here. Even considering the possibility was incredibly bad judgment on my part.

I felt the need to offer an apology, one rightfully deserved. I hope that you all accept it. I even perhaps engaged in a bit of terseness myself without realizing it.

And in closing I ask that you do not let this post detract and further hijack the thread. The topic is World Made By Hand, Aaron Moyer and synchronicity. Sue took the time and thought to post it. Please respect that and don't let this detract from it.

Again, my apologies.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

MGhandi -

You are the man.  Not sure exactly why you feel the need to apologize - I think most of us have exchanged posts with you enough times that we know you would never look to throw a rock at someone.

I for one took no offense at what to me was clearly an attempt on your part to be cautionary and well intended based on past experiences as a SA.  I just couldn't connect that experience to anything I was reading here - hence my 'Huh?'

So cheer up and have a good weekend.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Aaron can call Kunstler and either ask for royalties or sue for defamation of character, LOL.

SF

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Wow. First I thought that Aaron Moyer was your real name, then I suspected that perhaps it's your pseudonym based on this book, now you're saying that it's your real name.

My head is spinning. :)

ckessel's picture
ckessel

MGhandi -

Good job on the clarification!  At last I can erase the "HUH? that was stuck somewhere in the void between my ears. Now I need to read Kunstlers book. Have a good weekend all.

Coop

Septimus's picture
Septimus

MGhandi-

No apology needed but your quality shines through!  :-)

Excelsior!

- Septimus

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Thanks guys.

The name of this book keeps popping up in different corners of the web. Can  anyone give a heads up without spoiling it? 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Gandhi,

No worries what-so-ever!
Another benefit of this forum is most of us "know" one another, and things are very civil.

I'd venture to say we're more polite to one another than we are to our family members... which may be something worth considering.

So - to clarify - My real name is Aaron Moyer.
I've never read the book, and I hope I don't end up as a indentured laborer with diahhrea.

Cheers!

Aaron

scbissler's picture
scbissler

I actually had my wife read it before watching the CC.  

RussB's picture
RussB
MGhandi wrote:

Thanks guys.

The name of this book keeps popping up in different corners of the web. Can  anyone give a heads up without spoiling it? 

World Made By Hand is a depiction of life after a fast-crash energy descent scenario, set in Vt/upstate NY, in an indeterminate but not-too-distant future. It details how the survivors (of a pandemic concomitant with the Peak Oil crash) now must farm, construct, craft, entertain without oil or electricity and, well, make a new world by hand.

It's actually not far off from what I hope a post-Peak world might be like, though I don't consider it likely to become that way so quickly.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Thanks Russ.

Sounds like more than a few of you recommend it? 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

My real name is Pete, Aaron.

You guys can call me either. 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Hello Either.  Tongue out

Personally, I liked MGhandi better.

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

I'm kinda feeling sheepish about how long this thread has gotten. Hi Aaron, glad you didn't take offense. It truly surprised me to see your name in the book, even though I don't know a thing about you except that you post here. The coincidence was eerie feeling. (And I was pretty sure your name wasn't a handle you chose from the book because the character is laughably minor, but then again, Tom Stoppard wrote a whole play about a couple of throw-away characters from Hamlet, so anything's possible.)

As Ceci1ia suggested, I did think about emailing Aaron about it, but that seemed too intrusive to email someone unsolicited. Much less intrusive to set off a big public debate about privacy and respect instead, lol! Of course, I should have thought to search for an ongoing topic about the book!

As far as the book goes, it's a compelling and at times rough read, at least for me these days (I used to love to read Stephen King back in the day, but now I find his work too upsetting and stressful. Either I've become a wuss in my middle age or my (lapsed) mediation practice has made me more sensitive to what goes into my consciousness.)

There's some pretty disturbing violence in a passage or two, but he's really a very good writer and it's one of those reads that you can't stop thinking about. It would have been much easier for me to read about this six months ago, before I woke up to the crisis, as it feels disturbingly possible now, but there is a hopefulness to it that ultimately redeems the experience of reading it, fwiw.

It's really a quick read as well, i finished it in a day.

eta: I've participated in a couple of other online discussion boards and I appreciate the pitfalls MGhandi was reacting to -- I consider it a mark of the quality of both the folks on this board and our interactions that this whole thread was worked through as civilly as it was.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Most call me MG or Gandi. Whatever you please.

But this book has piqued my interests. I think I am going to buy it now. 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Sue,

If you want a book that will really test your swagger as a reader, look into "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

That book is the most powerful piece of literature I've ever opened.
It's a punishing read, and a true measure of the meaning of "love" and the lengths humans can go to sustain it, and how far we can fall from grace.

I'll have to pick this one up - even if I only play a despotic bit-part ;)

Cheers!

Aaron

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments