The world does not owe you a living

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
mpelchat's picture
mpelchat
The world does not owe you a living
Weather Bulletin
This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan after a severe snow storm last winter.
The Mining Journal,
Marquette, MI

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern part of Michigan we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.
FYI:
George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.
No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor's did not blame Bush or anyone else..

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else either.
 CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or even report on this category 5 snow storm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.
 Nobody expected the government to do anything either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Sean Penn, No Barbra Streisand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.
Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food, and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snow bound families..
Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.
We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

I hope this gets passed on.

Maybe ....
SOME people will get the message ....
The world does Not owe you a living.

Interesting.
MarkM's picture
MarkM
Re: The world does not owe you a living

As in North Dakota, preparing for the floods, the people pull together and get things done.  Nice to see.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Anecdotally, I like the story, and I hate to be the turd thrower here.......but,

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/soapbox/dakota.asp

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Dogs,

I enjoy the occasional flying turd.  However, regarding North Dakota, I was talking about the current challenge.  I have friends there and have been hearing their stories about college students sandbagging, firemen working longer shifts to sandbag, business keeping employees on the clock and letting them go to sandbag.  It seems like a community coming together to confront a crisis.  I am sure the Feds will be involved sooner or later, for now it is a state and local affair.

Maybe I am being "old fashioned".  However, I enjoy seeing people work together like that.  It seems to be missing in many stories from our country today.

The_Black_Death's picture
The_Black_Death

This type of cynicism and arrogance makes me sick. Man, this is how the bankers got to steal the world. People like this with their psuedo-racist/classist spiels about an "entitilement society", meanwhile cynical college grads got to bilk us out of everything we have, by convincing you you had more in common with the Bernard Madoffs, than with poor people in the inner cities. 

The bottom line is, the largest city in Upper Michigan has 19,000 people in it. When you can sustain 8 million like New York or 5 million like Los Angeles or 3 million like Chicago, then you've done something. It's easy not to have crime in places WHERE THERE ARE NO PEOPLE. These places don't have urban areas that were built on manufacturing, or large economies or bustling downtown areas, where you have busses, trains, and people literally living on top of each other and life itself is built around these realities. It is how the cities are built, that determines which places will do well during a crisis and which ones won't. It has nothing to do with "affirmative action" or "welfare"(both code words for Black people in conservative speech, inspite of the fact that most of the people on welfare and using affirmative action are White women). It has everything to do with most of the stores and financial sectors BEING IN THE CITY. Therefore if something's going to get looted, they're not going to "cow town" to do it. They're gonna go where the money is. 

Chances are if you live in Upper Peninsula Michigan, you have CHOSEN to live far away from the city. Chances are you OWN your land and aren't forced to live on top of other people. Towns are smaller and the people know each other better than they do in big cities where the are literally hundreds of thousands of people walking down the same places everyday. 

This is all about human nature.Society is more likely to break down in a city with a large population. This is not about an "entitlement" society. Find me one major city in the entire world where there hasn't been rioting or looting? And where there wouldn't be if you cut off electricity, water, food, shelter for a prolonged amount of time(say a week)? There isn't one. Not in America or Europe or Africa or Latin America or anywhere else. 

People loot when hockey/basketball/baseball teams win championships.

People looted when Axl Rose refused to go on stage. . . . . IN CANADA

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

This is a hot button issue for a lot of reason but I am going to say something anyway :). I have lived in suburbs, rural and city regions.  I like to say (to my city friends) that the one thing about living in the country is that you know exactly where the criminals live and you can't do anything about it, you're stuck with them.  Who ever thinks there is no crime in the country hasn't lived there.  e.g., per capita maybe maybe crime rate in less populated regions is lower or maybe it just doesn't get reported because the crooks are cousins to the local police for example.  Similar to some inner cities, in less populated areas the police (or any witness) aren't around to help out if a crime occurs. No one to hear you scream so to speak.  Sorry to be so negative but this point gets overlooked when we think about living away from the cities.  That's why community is so important no matter where you live I suppose. 

Everyone knows there was an enormous outpouring of community spirit in New York post 9/11, as well as some looting along the way.  People made huge sacrifices to help each other as everyone knows.  So maybe there is hope that we can do it again. We shall see. 

One White Woman

Denise

sensei's picture
sensei

I was just talking with my wife about this last night.  We want to be where there is a stable, self-supporting community. 

We live in a medium size town (8,000 people) right now but there is a very high percentage of welfare dependent people in our town.  These are the kind of people who are going to turn violent when the government teat runs dry.  There are a lot of Americans who have never been taught to support themselves and won't know what to do when that is suddenly thrust upon them. I think the best areas are small towns with agriculture, good access to water, a good community work ethic, and very little government dependency. 

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Local community does work
MarkM wrote:

....  I have friends there and have been hearing their stories about college students sandbagging, firemen working longer shifts to sandbag, business keeping employees on the clock and letting them go to sandbag.  It seems like a community coming together to confront a crisis.  I am sure the Feds will be involved sooner or later, for now it is a state and local affair.

Maybe I am being "old fashioned".  However, I enjoy seeing people work together like that.  It seems to be missing in many stories from our country today.

Fargo resists FEMA help.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gdunxiJSFFO9YMqCH6IBA_lqNqsgD979U9I00

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments