The world in 2050...

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
plato1965's picture
plato1965
The world in 2050...

HSBC sees China and America leading global mega-boom

The greatest global boom of all time has barely begun. Over the next forty years, economic growth will quicken yet further as the rising powers of Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America reach their full stride

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8239707/HSBC-sees-China-and-America-leading-global-mega-boom.html

Pollyannaish ? Cornucopian ?

I can see the energy deficit being mitigated/solved in the next decade.. but not the land/water issue...

Extrapolating current population growth into the future is an excercise in folly I think... resources come first..

Populations depend upon resources far more than resources depend upon people.

ao's picture
ao
Re: The world in 2050...

Given that almost anyone predicting things this far into the future turns out to be dead wrong, I'll bet on the opposite scenario occurring ... especially when it's HSBC that's espousing this future.  And both the Chinese and the Americans may be in for a little surprise.  Given current reproductive rates, the dominant global group by 2050 will be Muslims.  Wonder how banks like HSBC will fare in that situation, if they're not sharia-compliant.   

plato1965's picture
plato1965
Re: The world in 2050...

HSBC works from the assumption that mankind will avoid the energy crunch and overcome the eco-deficit, a term used to describe the world's depletion rate of non-renewable assets.

...  and here I side with CM.. !  I'm optimistic, but not about BAU... that's going bye byes..

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Teach a man to trawl, oops... you just gave him the capacity to overshoot his resource base.

Game over. Insert dodo.

Come in, come in...  Reverend Malthus will see you now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyGYXjyrvhY

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments