Winsonsin Protests... Rachel Maddow Backstory...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
mainebob's picture
mainebob
Winsonsin Protests... Rachel Maddow Backstory...

Rachel Maddow has a great backstory about the "engineered budget crisis" in Wisconsin....

As good as Rachel's commentary is,
Is there an even bigger picture here?
How does this fit with CM's 3 E's ?....

What would really be best for this country?

Yes, change and transition are afoot...

What is the BEST change we can hope for, for our future?
What is possible for the future?
Can you image a clear bright future?
What could it look like?

Thanks,-Bob O
<!--break-->

mainebob's picture
mainebob
Link to Rachel's Commentary

Hmmm... Video link didn't appear... trying again

patrickhenry's picture
patrickhenry
Is Maddow still reporting

Is Maddow still reporting "news" from satire websites?

mainebob - once again, Maddow is being untruthful and sensationistic, just like those on Fox

From politifact.com
When stating the claim that Walker created the current budget deficit, liberals cite the following line in the memo prepared by Robert Lang, the director of the Legislative Fiscal Bureau: “Our analysis indicates a general fund gross balance of $121.4 million and a net balance of $56.4 million.” This would be true, but there are more lines to the memo, which have been left out by liberals. Here are the real facts:
-
While Walker did get $140 million in tax breaks passed in January, these won’t take effect until the budget for the next biennium, so it is not calculated into this year’s budget deficit. Additionally, what they fail to mention is the later part of the memo outlines $258 million in unpaid bills or expected shortfalls in programs such as Medicaid services for the needy ($174 million alone), the public defender’s office and, corrections. Additionally, the state owes Minnesota $58.7 million and the patient compensation fund (raided by Governor Doyle to plug a previous budget gap) $200 million. The court is currently deciding when the $200 million needs to be paid back so it will most likely not come due before June. So assuming that Walker uses the $121.4 million surplus to pay only the bills that come due before June ($258 million) we find that there is a $136.6 million shortfall in this year’s budget and can therefore come to the conclusion that Governor Walker did not create the budget deficit.
-
Source: www.politifact.com

mainebob's picture
mainebob
Thanks patrickhenry you are

Thanks patrickhenry you are right, Rachel did not dig deep enough.  heres the politifact summary:

Here’s the bottom line:

There is fierce debate over the approach Walker took to address the short-term budget deficit. But there should be no debate on whether or not there is a shortfall. While not historically large, the shortfall in the current budget needed to be addressed in some fashion. Walker’s tax cuts will boost the size of the projected deficit in the next budget, but they’re not part of this problem and did not create it.

So, what is the truth... there are ~60,000 people in wisconsin protesting...

What is the truth?  And is there truth to the rest of her story?

AND if not Rachel,  what is the best unbiased news source?

Patrickhenry,  what would be the best outcome for the majority of the people in wisconsin.

What would happen if Wisconsin didn't have to pay its part for the stupid Afghanistan War...

Is this an example of how messy it will become for us as the many systems continue to fail?

Doug's picture
Doug
So, bottom line

So, bottom line is Walker gave out tax breaks to businesses while he knew or should have known the state is facing deficits.  And now he's trying to bust the state employees' union.  Well, that evil Rachel Maddow, trying to tar a fine fellow like the Gov.Cry

Doug

patrickhenry's picture
patrickhenry
We rate Maddow’s take

We rate Maddow’s take False.

Mainebob  - That's the last line from Politifact.com.  So no truth there.

Unbiased news source ?  As a CM reader, you probably know not much truth exists in mainstream news.  One reason I took my TV and "threw it out the window" years ago.

Don't know any unbiased regular news sources.  Personally, for what I feel is closest to the truth,  I read CM, Zero Hedge, Ron Paul, Thomas Jefferson, Jim Rogers, Marc Faber  others..  I listen to The Bernank and other masters of the Plutocracy, and believe exactly the opposite.

Not sure what Afghanistan  war has to do with Wisconsin, specifically.  Unless you are trying to make a point we shouldn't be in Afghanistan, with which I would agree. Nor Iraq.

How are WI events related to 3E's ?   I was in Madison yesterday. I saw the union protestors trying to hang onto the status quo.  The status quo will work no where.  WI does have a $3.6B deficit, and union concessions will help about $300M of that.  Many more hard cuts to make.

Personally, I believe regardless of what WI or any specific state does in the name of fiscal austerity, we are polishing the brass on the U.S. Titanic.   We won't stop the "Criminal" Reserve from reducing most of us to serfs and destroying this country.

patrickhenry

In Wisconsin

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Food for thought from

Food for thought from Denninger.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=180433

osb272646's picture
osb272646
Rachel Maddow on Wisconsin

Well put Patrick Henry.

To others who would like to believe one side of the story or the other -  Please do not forget that this a battle for public sentiment.  It is huge, lots of vested interests involved.   The facts of the story are parsed and cherry picked to support the teller's point of view.  The truth lies somewhere in between.    The process is inflammatory and divisive.   I believe that the direction for the next 20 years is pretty well in place and the outcome of this issue really doesn't matter in the context of the next 20 years.   You can waste stomach acid on this particular fight if that's your game, or you can use this event as a reminder to keep working toward community and self-sufficiency.

Also in Wisconsin

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments