wind stalks, not turbines

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
wind stalks, not turbines

Just thought I would post a link and a pic of a new, design-award winning alternative energy idea: wind stalks.

Ready's picture
Ready
wow

interesting. I have some reading to do!

plato1965's picture
plato1965
One problem

Cool idea.. just one problem..

what happens when the giant Gillette(tm) razor comes.. ?

Wind stubbles  ?

Sorry !

More seriously..

Apparently there's a graphene enhanced breakthrough in Lithium batteries.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/sectors/electronics/news/technology-could-increase-lithium-ion-batteries-charge/1010902.article

The university said in a statement that the research team has created an electrode for lithium-ion batteries that allows them to hold a charge up to 10 times greater than current technology.

Batteries with the electrode are also reported to be able to charge 10 times faster than current batteries.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Not sure what's more interesting

The concept, or the city that it belongs to.
I can't imagine that the city is going to be successful, as their central plan has absolutely no mention of agriculture.
Sustainability doesn't ever seem to factor in food, which is interesting. Are we seriously more concerned about protracting our ability to live at a higher standard than we are about modernising our food supply?

Very weird.

At any rate, I met and had lunch with some Emirates, and was treated to a verbal history of their nation, and some of their projects.
That country is pretty visionary. Whether that will prove a practical vision, or otherwise, I am fascinated by their committment to modernization and acceptance of other cultures.

The UAE may emerge as a very strong force in the Middle East within the next few decades...

Thanks for sharing Safewrite, I've been pondering this one for a few days now!

Cheers,

Aaron

ao's picture
ao
fascinating concept
Ready wrote:

Wow is right!  Thanks for this fascinating information Safewrite.  I have to admit, although I'm planning on using wind power in a future homestead, I've never been enamored with its visual or acoustic aesthetics.  If these windstalks turn out to be practical, they're definitely something I will consider in the future.

My concerns with the inconstant nature of solar and wind power (especially solar in our area of heavy winter cloud cover) have caused me to look more into micro-hydro power as an additional power source. 

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/catalog/hydropower.htm

As I've stated hear before, I've been looking for property for some time but have still not found what I want.  I'm looking for a property with not only a level area but also a significant elevation change where I can dig two ponds, one higher and one lower, and use wind and/or solar power to pump the water uphill when wind and sun are abundant and use water as a kinetic energy storage medium that I can tap into using a micro-hydro powerplant.  I recent found a nice 37 acre property with a lovely 2 acre trout pond and a running stream with a series of waterfalls (and low flood risk to boot) but the elevation drop is insufficient to meet my needs.  The search continues and meanwhile, property values seem to be dropping further which is only working to my benefit.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
ao: Water tower?
ao wrote:
Ready wrote:

Wow is right!  Thanks for this fascinating information Safewrite.  I have to admit, although I'm planning on using wind power in a future homestead, I've never been enamored with its visual or acoustic aesthetics.  If these windstalks turn out to be practical, they're definitely something I will consider in the future.

My concerns with the inconstant nature of solar and wind power (especially solar in our area of heavy winter cloud cover) have caused me to look more into micro-hydro power as an additional power source. 

As I've stated hear before, I've been looking for property for some time but have still not found what I want.  I'm looking for a property with not only a level area but also a significant elevation change where I can dig two ponds, one higher and one lower, and use wind and/or solar power to pump the water uphill when wind and sun are abundant and use water as a kinetic energy storage medium that I can tap into using a micro-hydro powerplant.  I recent found a nice 37 acre property with a lovely 2 acre trout pond and a running stream with a series of waterfalls (and low flood risk to boot) but the elevation drop is insufficient to meet my needs.  The search continues and meanwhile, property values seem to be dropping further which is only working to my benefit.

ao,

Perhaps a water tower would sufficiently increase the elevation change to make that property you mentioned more viable? Just a thought.

ao's picture
ao
earthwise wrote: ao
earthwise wrote:
ao wrote:
Ready wrote:

ao,

Perhaps a water tower would sufficiently increase the elevation change to make that property you mentioned more viable? Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought earthwise.  The problem with a water tower is that it would freeze.  The ponds will only freeze to a maximum depth of 3 feet or less and the pipeline between them would be buried for the same reason. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments