Will They Ever Get It?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson
Will They Ever Get It?

This is sort of a free thought post.  I am watching CNN right now and they are talking about what Anthony Weiner is going to do with his political Warchest and a fight by people wanting to get into the Orlando trial.  Greece is falling apart and could start a domino affect unless that post about our Fed giving most of QE2 to European Banks to prop them up is correct.  Here's the fight on there again.  Gee.  Does anyone in power talk about the serious problems we have or do we wait until it all slaps us in the face?  Sometimes I have a hard time believing that I am among the VERY small group who really is close to knowing what is happening.  I guess the news really is entertainment and not in depth thought.  You can get that from the Economist I suppose.  Oh well.  We'll pay in the end.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Couldn't agree more

E,

I was sitting in the DFAC watching the news early this afternoon thinking the same exact thing.
What's worse, is it was Bill O'Reilly, who IMHO is one of the most insidious news anchors ever. Between Weiner's weiner and Kaylee Anthony, you'd think everything on TV was simply made to piss people off just enough to keep them inactionable.

Meanwhile, Greece is up the spout, Iceland is giving the finger, and a the signs of a global economic catastrophe are starting to become painfully clear. But we still have to listen to talking heads debate ad nauseum about things which have no relevance beyond pissing people off until some new fiasco breaks ground.

Pathetic.
Cheers,

Aaron

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson
Challenge Them

Aaron,

I've only been on the site for six months or so I guess, but I had seen a piece by Matt Simmons that opened my eyes.  This may be a crazy idea or people may have gotten discouraged about writing letters to the news papers, but I tried a month ago.

It actually was printed and their were responses.  Some were not so with it like one guy thought it was the responsibility of his elected officials to make sure he had cheap gas.  The thing is, though, I got at least some people thinking.

I was simple in my approach and talked about the low hanging fruit bit and when all the big oil was found, etc.  A lot of people understood that part, but taking the leap to, "Oh my God the world is going to change drastically didn't really hit most people.  It might be the time if we could get enough people off the site to write a letter we could get some talking. 

With the economy staying bad so long and oil prices not retreating much people might listen.  What do you think?

E

Josey's picture
Josey
I think people will

I think people will only get it when all of the distractions are taken away. And here in the big plastic, fantastic USA, there are plenty of distractions. When they are taken away and reality sets in, it ain't gonna be pretty.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
It'll take...

Great leadership for us to pull our heads out of the sand.
Basically, until the media is disassembled from corporate organizations and decentralized, we won't see any progress.
I'm not anti-corporate, but it's hard to explain how our political party system and news media has done the exact same thing:
Gone from representing local interestss with local perspectives of great variety to concentrated, myopic organizations that serve larger interests by selling ignorance.

I don't do the conspiracy thing - this is just a matter of what's marketable.
"Grab some Buds" is more poingient than "Educate yourself", and sadly I don't see how that can change - the types who read newspapers and sites like this aren't the ones who you have to worry about.

Even if their reasoning is incomplete, or flawed - at least it is reasoning. There's a large contingent of folks in this world who want nothing to do with addressing problems. Unfortunately, this is something that our social elites bank on... which significantly limits the types of productive responses we can generate.

Without a majority there is no "success" in our system.
Our majority is a sad one.

Cheers,

Aaron

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson
Heads in the Sky

It seems people are more interested in reality shows than the future of the country.  If you sit at a cafe in Paris, you will always find people who want to talk about world politics, but here forget it.  Besides, too many are brain washed.  Our new governor in SC wants to cut taxes and take it from education.  Sometimes i just want to cry....LOL

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Sometimes i just want to cry....LOL

Your comment got me writing ... cause I did cry today. 

Have We No Shame?

Today I cried.

My son apologized for a careless remark and kissed me on the top of the head. He’s that much taller than me, but that’s not why I cried.

Neither was the remark, but it was hard to tell him so I joked about not being able to get into our travel plans - the first ever without him as he has a job and cannot join us. The ol’ mom having a hard time letting her 19-year-old grow up and be on his own.

But I lied. That’s not why I cried.

His 16 year old brother would have liked a job this summer too. Applied at all the usual teenage spots, to no avail. Plenty of news articles explain the situation: in today’s market, teens are competing with adults for even those low-paying jobs. 

Adults with and without jobs are struggling: food and gas prices have increased significantly and weather problems threatening or destroying crops mean there is no end in sight yet. I won’t even mention Peak Oil. Too many haven’t heard of it and that many more don’t think it’ll affect them, so it’s a moot point as of yet. 

But it doesn’t end there­ ... how many aren’t paying their mortgages? I could google to get a number, but it makes no difference ... there are lots. What does it mean when all those payments aren’t being made? Somebody, somewhere is losing money. Tons of it! Nobody seems too concerned. There are no fingers directly in anyone’s pocket, so nobody complains. But somebody, somewhere is being taken for a ride. 

Still, that’s not why I cried.

Our government is on an economic joy ride ... when things get tough we don’t balance, we print. Hey, why didn’t past governments think of this? They could have had it so easy! But the foolishness of the past need not hinder us today, so we careen down that slippery slope whooping and hollering that this will solve all our nation’s ills. When it didn’t the first time, we just pushed a repeat button because nobody cares to hear (or heed) Einstein’s definition of insanity:  doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I’ve got another definition, maybe not as eloquent, but perhaps more direct: insanity is watching someone take hard-earned money out of your hands and agreeing with them that it is in your best interest. Because that is what happens when we print: the dollar you hold in your hand, now competing with that many more, is worth that much less. 

It’s not really a hard concept to grasp, but so few seem to understand the implications. Nor care. 

That’s almost why I cried.

This country is vast. Sometimes problems don’t manifest or become evident for years. The weakening of the dollar, the fallout of the mortgage mess, the skyrocketing prices for basic needs affect us so slowly that it’s easy to believe we’ll come through minorly scathed. If we stopped to think of it, we’d have to admit that someone, somewhere will have to pay for it all eventually. But we don’t, so we continue to ride, enjoy the view and take an antacid to ignore that gnawing in our gut. The gnawing that says wait, something’s not quite right. The numbers aren’t adding, the smokescreen’s fading and Bernanke looks an awful lot like Oz except not as well-meaning.

Someone, somewhere will be paying for the mess we have gotten ourselves in and if we continue to do what we are doing ... pushing it down the road ... the undeniable someones are our children. 

The someones who will be paying for our screwups are our children.

We are setting up our children for a lifetime of debt because we refuse to bite the bullet and deal with our economic problems ourselves.

Did anybody hear that?

Does anybody care?

I didn’t think so.

That’s why I cried.

Not sure my local paper will print it, but it felt good to get it off my chest.

~ s

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Poignant

Saffron,

A very thoughtful post, definitely worthy of publication. If it doesn't, just another reason for the tears. If it does, then probably still no one will hear. Either way a sad state of affairs.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Josey wrote: ... I'm sorry,
Josey wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that Josey.  I had "Dancing With the Stars" turned up really loud.  Laughing

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Saffron wrote: Your comment
Saffron wrote:

Your comment got me writing ... cause I did cry today. 

Have We No Shame?

Today I cried.

Bravo, Saffron!

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
me too

...... and this momma cries too .   But  never can I give up the fight .

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
ditto

The cards are stacked against us. The situation looks grim with little chance of success. Yet - we march on.

EGP

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments