Will China buy US Real Estate?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
10todd's picture
10todd
Will China buy US Real Estate?

First of all, let me say I'm very grateful to have found this site and will recommend it to friends and family.  Do any of you think it's likely that China will start spending their excess dollars on real estate in the U.S.?  I read an article in the local Atlanta paper yesterday about the "Equitable" building downtown being purchased at 50% of the previous sales price and wondered if China might start snatching up properties.  Any thoughts?

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
Re: Will China buy US Real Estate?

If they haven't, they soon will be. 

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

After Chris's report on food in America I wondered about foreign investors buying farm land and mining property/companies.  With America being the bread basket of the world and being so indebted it would make sense.  Just curious.

sensei's picture
sensei

This happened in Argentina.  Even though they have tons of fertile ag land they don't have enough affordable food for everybody.  All the good land was bought up by the big ag corporations and they can sell it for a better price out of country.  I am becoming more and more concerned that the US may be the first country taken over through leveraged buyout rather than outright war.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Does a Panda poop in the woods?

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

DrKrbyLuv, you won't know if no ones there to smell it.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

rocketgirl1 - LOL!  Maybe we should have our financial gurus sniffing around in the woods?

China is buying more than just real estate - China Corners Over 90% of Market for Rare-Earth Metals 

China has cornered 97% of the world market for rare earth metals, according to Byron King (the Times Online puts the number at 95%, and the Financial Times puts the number at "over 90%"). 

As the Times Online notes:

The weight and magnetic properties of rare-earth metals have made them important for wind turbines, essential to hybrid cars, and indispensable if the world ever hopes to covert to fully electric vehicles...

Don Burbar, the chief executive of Avalon Rare Metals, said: "The crux of the matter is that there are now a lot of technologies that can't work without rare earths, and China is currently in effective control of the global supply. China has positioned itself to retain control, and meanwhile politicians around the world do not appreciate how the supply side of green technology works."

As mining analyst John Kaiser writes:

In the case of rare earth oxides, we're looking at a situation where the Obama Administration would like to see clean energy replace gasoline-based energy in transportation fuel. The Chinese are thinking along similar lines because they don't want to be dependent on foreign oil supplies any more than the United States does. Rare earth oxides go into these super magnets that are a key part of these hybrid and electric cars. The Japanese, the Europeans, and North American carmakers would like to commercialize the production of hybrid cars, but they are afraid to do so because all the rare earths right now come out of China. And China has said "we would like all the manufacturing to be done in China and we'll sell it to the rest of the world." Well, that puts everybody at the mercy of China. So now there's a scramble afoot to look for these deposits outside of China and never mind that China could flood the market with their rare earth oxides. The end users are thinking we need to have security of supply for these rare earth oxides so we're not at the mercy of political machinations by a country like China.

And see this article from the New York Times on China's buying spree in Australia.

jemy1's picture
jemy1
apartaments in playa del ingles

Everyone dreams of having his own house apartaments in playa del ingles . If you too want to have your own house, read this blog where you will find tips to help you find your dream house.

7ombuilders's picture
7ombuilders
Re:to discussin

as the US and china relations Obama will never allow to do that because both are the competetors US government dont like tto allow anyone to penetrate in his area they are the leaders of world same as Cina leading in technologies they will not like to buy properties in US.

builder in bhopal

Jaybee Anne's picture
Jaybee Anne
I share the same idea with

I share the same idea with you buddy! You got my back on that!

buy twitter follower

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments