Wilberfoce Award: One million dollars prize for action against "growth"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amanda V's picture
Amanda V
Wilberfoce Award: One million dollars prize for action against "growth"

Well I thought this was interesting.  Here in the anitpodes there is this big chain of electrical stores, called Dick Smith electronics.  The guy is very concerned about population growth - and the need for constant consumer growth, so this multi - millionaire has decided to present this award - oh and a million dollars cash too - to the person who can show the best action against constant growth. 

I think it is kind of a noble cause - but I have a major problem with the fact that you are not eligible if you are over 30.  I think he believes only young people have anything valid to contribute.  Major FUBAR.

http://dicksmithpopulation.com/wilberforce-award/

I also think he is missing the point.  He wants economies to be able to flourish in the face of no growth.  Yet he does not mention ending the economic "system" that we use at present that is dependant on growth.  His writing reads as if he just doesn't quite get that yet.

I thought of emailing the guy, but you know - reaching a multimillionaire by email, personally has its limitations.  The site basically says he is inundated by emails so don't bother sending one.

BUT if you are under 30 and feel motivated - then you have 12 months to make a big song and dance about growth.  Get out there in the media.  You get awarded this by being spotted by him - kind of like the nobel prize.  Not for filling in an application form. 

I hope Chris Martenson wins.  Oops, I think he is over 30.  See what I mean ?  This guy is soooo ageist.

Aussie's picture
Aussie
Re: Wilberfoce Award: One million dollars prize for action ...

I think it's a great idea.  His self funded documentary aired last night; it had a lot of great info, and his stated goal was to get people talking.  I think it's working.   And by offering $1million he gets more publicity, that should at least get a lot more young people engaged in the discussion.  It's hard enough to get people to think and talk about slowing down population/economic growth, if Dick were to declare a need to end the current system, he'd be written off as a lunatic by the MSM and would lose a lot of his influence.  (He sold his chain of electronic stores in 1982. http://www.dicksmithfoods.com.au/?d=main&p=bio )

V's picture
V

This guy must be hiding under a rock. He has the guy with the answer right in his backyard. Or I should say answers.

It is someone here on CM knows very well.  Drum roll please ......................DAMNTHEMATRIX.

1- Quit paying debts.

2- Quit using fossil fuels

and if that won't do it then raise chickens, goats, all your own food, compost, ............practice permaculture.

V

silvervarg's picture
silvervarg

Well, your supposed to come up with something that fixes the system, not to solve things for one person or one family.
I am sure you could find quite a lot of people (1000+) around the planet that are almost 100% self sufficient. 

If we today quit paying att debts or quit using all fossile fuel (lets say during this calendar year) we will really turn the planet into chaos and head for disaster.

To be able to do drastic changes we need to prapare, and that takes time.
Unfortunately it is only a small minority that believes that we even need to make drastic changes today, so it is still not possible to even start major changes. The first step would need to be presenting an action plan and get consensus around that plan.

So far we have not even managed to get full consensus around the Kyoto-agreement, so we have a long road ahead.

CM is taking another approach by suggesting we start at grass root level and build from the bottom up.
This can also work, but we know this is a lengthy process. Just to get more of less fully prepared takes at least 10 years for most people, and that is counting from when they really start to try.
I would say that most people I know would take years to convinve to even get started. 

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V

Hi Silvervarg

I am not so sure you would have to come up with something that fixes the system.  That is impossible, no one person can do that.  Transition in to our non growth future is going to be some kind of (very fast) evolution.  It will just keep turning with the tide until we reach some kind of equilibrium with ourselves and the world again. 

I think what will win the money is taking lots of action to get in the media to get the message about growth out there, so that it is a wee seedling planted in more people's consciousness.  Again, I think CM has done this better than anyone so far.

I suspect CM will ultimately be right.  To get to the end point of equilibrium (peace with a sustainable food supply..) it will be from grass roots.  No doubt about that in my mind.

The people you know who will take years to get started, will get started fast when there are major disruptions to their life as they know it.  But we think as a civilisation that we are too good to fail.  So presenting an action plan is great but who is going to give consensus to it yet ?

I hope this million dollars is going to make some difference.  But I think the problem is too complex to just chuck a million dollars at it.  But bless him for making some kind of an effort to do something.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments