Wikipedia articles

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
jrf29's picture
jrf29
Wikipedia articles

It has been suggested elsewhere (in "shipping charged are too high") that a Wikipedia article should be developed about the Crash Course. Does anybody have any suggestions in relation to this?

Since we can expect that a Wikipedia article would be mercilessly reviewed and references for every claim will be demanded (Wiki has gotten much better about doing that), Wikipedia might be a great place to make primary and secondary sources underlying the Crash Course's material more widely known.

Alternatively, CCC members could make an attempt to review pre-existing articles on the economy and the environment, and make certain that well-referenced viewpoints relavent to the crash course topics are mentioned in those artices.

Any ideas?

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: Wikipedia articles

It's almost a certainty that the "Wiki police" would take down the first version posted on Wikipedia. That's ok; it's just their defense mechanism against people trying to use their site as free advertising.

What's essential is to have a few people (who are not Chris or his direct staff) ready to contribute on the talk page and say "Hey wait, this isn't advertising... This is important!". I would suggest citing the articles on Wikipedia about Michael Moore and his film Farenheit 9/11, since they are analagous - they're not there because Mr. Moore was trying to get free advertising. Those pages are on Wikipedia because other people thought they were important. The best thing would be for several people who already have a history of contributing to Wikipedia to be standing by the defend our case. People who write new articles on Wikipedia whose Wikipedia account is 3 hours old are viewed with suspicion there for obvious reasons.

Lucas Altic asked for a volunteer from our Martenson Brigade to organize this effort a couple of weeks ago, but so far nobody has signed up. jrf29, if you want to coordinate this we'd love your help!

Erik

jrf29's picture
jrf29

I do contribute to Wiki occasionally, but I'm afraid that I just don't have the technical Wiki-expertise necessary to write a new article!  Otherwise I'd just do it....

I'd be more than happy to help raise the hue and cry for an article on its talk page, however.  Movies and songs have their own Wiki articles, and that's not considered advertising.  Why shouldn't an objective review of the Crash Course be included as well?

Futuo's picture
Futuo

I'm in the same boat. It would really help if we could find someone out there who has a history of posting new articles...that could avoid much criticism such as "oh, you're only participating in wikipedia to advertise your cause" or whatever. I know there are a few of us willing to take up the fight on talk pages. Hell, I know I'd be willing to work with someone to write the article. I just don't have the technical wikipedia-specific experience, nor an active account with anything more than grammatical corrections attributed to it. If there's anyone out there with such expertise, or at least with a history of wikipedia article contributing, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

I think we need to move forward on this, one way or another.

My own contribution to Wikipedia is limited to pointing out that the article on "ADSL Modem" was a misnomer, because DSL is an inherently digital communication channel and there is nothing to modulate or demodulate. Somehow, I don't think that qualifies me as a world-class wikipedian, but if nobody else will step up, I'm happy to post the articles and see what happens.

IT WOULD BE MUCH BETTER IF SOMEONE WITH WIKIPEDIA AUTHORING EXPERIENCE STEPPED FORWARD, but so far that hasn't happened.

Christopher, do you want to write the article? I could post it from my account and you guys could back me up on the talk page...

Erik

lucasaltic's picture
lucasaltic

Erik et al,

As this evolves into the planning phase for this project, please take it to the Martenson Brigade forums.  A good place would be under my original Wikipedia thread in the Announcements folder.

Why don't you let me give one last push to assemble a team on this?  I will post an official "call to action" thread here as well as email select Martenson Brigade members directly asking for help.  You and Futuo are busy enough and this is something that other volunteers should be able to do.

Thanks.

Lucas Altic

Director of Volunteer Operations

PeakProsperity.com

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Lucas,

Thanks, that's perfect.

In case I gave the wrong impression, I would much prefer that someone else do this. Preferably somoene with wiki authoring experience. But we asked for help with this weeks ago and haven't found any yet. I don't particularly want to do it myself, but we need to get this ball rolling!

Erik

lucasaltic's picture
lucasaltic

No, I definitely understood your intent which is why I would like to avoid you having to do it.  Futuo is busy with several activities like writing up the YouTube descriptions, and you, well, you're the business manager, not the Wikipedia guy!

Since I don't think there are too many Wiki experts lurking on the forums, my plan is to directly ask a few of our best writers to give it a crack.  Once the docs are complete, we should be able to manage the technical aspects.

Luc

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments