Wife just got stopped!

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Wife just got stopped!

Just got a call from my wife saying she just got stuck in line for another check!  They asked for her license again!  She asked what they were doing and why.  The answer was "We're going to be doing these alot from here on, looking to make sure you have your seatbelts on and have your license".  She told him she didn't feel this was proper and unnecessary and he said "Get used to it!" and told her to "MOVE ON!".  

Needless to say, SHE'S MAD AS HELL!!!!  Being as she has been listening to me and allowing me to get prepared and casually educating herself on CM.com and the likes, but her comment to me was "we need to get out of here!".  I told her "I've been telling you this was coming for a while".  And she said "why are they doing this?".  My comment:  "They're getting you used to being stopped and checked.  It's called PROGRAMMING".  She said "I see what you mean"........."We need to get a plan together right away and get out of here".  

SteveS, this was on Evergreen Mill Rd. going north before the Highschool/Middle School/Elementary if you're interested.  I'm grabbing my video and heading up to take pics.

Absolutely Disgusted!  And for those that think this is an overreaction......you're wrong.

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: Wife just got stopped!

It's definitely not an overreaction.  From what your wife said, it's pretty clear what is going on.  They're obviously not looking for a particular perpetrator, fugitive, abducted child, or whatever.  At the very least, it's "panning for gold" ala cop but it certain sounds like getting the masses prepared and programmed for what's to come.  I feel for you and your wife.  Hope you can rally the local citizens and put a stop to this nonsense.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 5 2008
Posts: 1234
Re: Wife just got stopped!

LR,

I have no idea what your exetended family and business/work situation is, but FWIW, "getting out of here" made a world of difference for me. I made the decision for logical reasons, but I unexpectedly got a lot happier about life in general after I was out. If your personal circumstances permit, I recommend considering it seriously.

FYI, on my recommendation Jim Puplava has agreed to do an entire show about leaving the USA for greener pastures. Be sure to tune in at FinancialSense.com.

Erik

 

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 18 2008
Posts: 740
Re: Wife just got stopped!

When I see this I assume it is an indirect form of taxation (through the violations fees) among other things.  Seatbelt fines in this area are pretty steep.  I've been told they're over 100 bucks.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 8 2008
Posts: 929
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Logan:

Is this a Loudon County thing? A NOVA thing, a WMA thing? I live in Lorton, near Springfield, and I haven't seen any of this yet, but I personally have noticed a LOT more cops on the road the past few weeks. Tons of speed traps where there used to be none. Like Davos, I've read the stories of Virginia attempting to close budget gaps with ticket blitz weekends where all cops are put on overtime....I think they are getting prepared for dealing with the public for when wave 2 hits or war with Iran starts or $10 gas hits...Sad to see.

Mike

JAG's picture
JAG
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 26 2008
Posts: 2492
Re: Wife just got stopped!

This has nothing to do with Spring Break?

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2008
Posts: 1995
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Maybe this has something to do with the stops:

Virginia State Police Help With Budget Crunch -  A federally funded ticketing blitz in the state of Virginia landed a total of 6996 traffic tickets this weekend. The blitz, dubbed “Operation Air, Land & Speed” coincided with frantic efforts by state officials to close a$2.2 billion budget deficit. Supervisors ordered state troopers to saturate Interstates 81 and 95 to issue as many tickets as humanly possible over the space of two days.

“All officers making arrests incident to the enforcement of this title shall be paid fixed salaries for their services and shall have no interest in, nor be permitted by law to accept the benefit of, any fine or fee resulting from the arrest or conviction of an offender against any provision of this title,” Virginia Code Section 46.2-102 states.

Under the federal grant application process, state officials explained that they would pay officers overtime — at least one-and-a-half times their normal salary — to participate. This special reward for ticketing operation participants appears to violate the spirit of state law.

As Dovos mentioned earlier, local and state governments are hurting financially.  Not far from where I live there was a very small police force that was running out of money.  The amount of tickets given out were incredible given that they only had 3 police cars.  They didn't raise enough money though they tried hard at the chagrin of many motorists.

Larry

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 13 2008
Posts: 2244
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Hey Logan-

   It definitely stinks that both you AND your wige got stopped!  But I suspect Vegan and Larry may have hit in the simplest and most likely (in my mind) explanation: they have a severe budget deficit and are frantic to plug it up. 

   The state and local levels are starting to experience TSH-ingTF.

   -pinecarr

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: Wife just got stopped!
Erik T. wrote:

LR,

I have no idea what your exetended family and business/work situation is, but FWIW, "getting out of here" made a world of difference for me. I made the decision for logical reasons, but I unexpectedly got a lot happier about life in general after I was out. If your personal circumstances permit, I recommend considering it seriously.

FYI, on my recommendation Jim Puplava has agreed to do an entire show about leaving the USA for greener pastures. Be sure to tune in at FinancialSense.com.

Erik

 

All well and good but for cripes sakes maybe we should just form a band of gypsies so when the next paradise rots of cancer we can just roll on and run away.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Well,

I got there and found that there was no place to park other than on the side of the road, which doesn't work.

I did go through it twice and asked the first time, "What's the purpose of this?"  First officers answer was:  "Just a routine stop to check license and seatbelts".  I asked:  "Is it working?"  He stated:  "We've found a few people, why do you ask?"  I said:  "Well, personally I feel this is an intrusion on my rights as a citizen".  He said:  "You're the first person that's complained.  Is there something you're afraid of?"  I said:  "My constitutional rights, that's what I'm afraid of".  Of course his response:  "Enough, move on!"

Coming back I asked:  "Why are you stopping us?"  His response:  "Just checking licenses".  My Q:  "Why?"  Cop:  "We want to make sure everyone's in compliance".  I asked:  "Do you personally feel good about stopping people for no reason?  I mean, doesn't this strike you as what they did in the Soviet Union or China?  You know, "papers please"?"  At this point, he shook his head and said "Where's your Don't Tread on Me sticker?  Get over it!"  With a shake of the head and a bullsht laugh.  "It's time for you to move on!"  Waving his arms forward.

Anyway, I was in line both times for over 5 minutes and there were 3 vehicles pulled over after the roadblock getting written up going north.  On the south side there were 2 cars pulled over and an argument ensuing with a female police officer and an older woman in a Buick.  One person on the north side was out of his vehicle and opening his trunk.  Dumb.

Welcome to Amerika!

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: Wife just got stopped!
LogansRun wrote:

 "You're the first person that's complained.  Is there something you're afraid of?"

 

I hate the arrogance of those statements.  The "You're the first (or the only) person to complain" statement is almost always pure BS.  I would have said, "Well, that's good to hear.  I always like to be on the cutting edge of identifying a problem.  But is there something I should be afraid of?". 

I'd start out with an e-mail blitz.

http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=813

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: Wife just got stopped!
DrKrbyLuv wrote:

Maybe this has something to do with the stops:

Virginia State Police Help With Budget Crunch -  A federally funded ticketing blitz in the state of Virginia landed a total of 6996 traffic tickets this weekend. The blitz, dubbed “Operation Air, Land & Speed” coincided with frantic efforts by state officials to close a$2.2 billion budget deficit. Supervisors ordered state troopers to saturate Interstates 81 and 95 to issue as many tickets as humanly possible over the space of two days.

“All officers making arrests incident to the enforcement of this title shall be paid fixed salaries for their services and shall have no interest in, nor be permitted by law to accept the benefit of, any fine or fee resulting from the arrest or conviction of an offender against any provision of this title,” Virginia Code Section 46.2-102 states.

Under the federal grant application process, state officials explained that they would pay officers overtime — at least one-and-a-half times their normal salary — to participate. This special reward for ticketing operation participants appears to violate the spirit of state law.

As Dovos mentioned earlier, local and state governments are hurting financially.  Not far from where I live there was a very small police force that was running out of money.  The amount of tickets given out were incredible given that they only had 3 police cars.  They didn't raise enough money though they tried hard at the chagrin of many motorists.

Larry

Quite frankly it goes to show you the utter stupidity of the situation. LEO's are getting turned into meter maids. They are squeezing the middle and lower class for cash - of which this class is becoming increasingly short of. Just means less money for Wal-Mart for most, fact is the people who are really strapped are the ones running around with dead tags and dead inspections and no real estate tags.

If they wanted or needed money the states most insolvent - of which NY is one - could go after the real bad guys and fine them 98% of their net worth - which they stole and or take their illegal corporations. 

This is primarily why stuff like this is sooooo upsetting! We got robbed and to pay for what the criminals did we pay in taxes and then we get robbed as the politicians turn the cops into keystone extortionists with their shakedown checkpoints. Makes me think of the Stones I went to see in concert at UVA.

Sympathy for the Devil 

Just as every cop is a criminal 
And all the sinners saints 
As heads is tails 
Just call me Lucifer 
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint 
(who who, who who)

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 17 2009
Posts: 562
Re: Wife just got stopped!

When will americans do this:

 

Skip to 1:40

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: Wife just got stopped!
bearmarkettrader wrote:

When will americans do this:

 

Skip to 1:40

I hope never. I truly hope all this insanity we support - all of which we can not afford - just economically crumbles and we quickly move on with nothing more than the usual Katrina looting [email protected] that we always see when the social fiber gets torn.

My life is probably about 50% spent - if I'm lucky I have another 40 years, and I'd like to enjoy as many of them as possible. Going through that h*ll because we've had 535 morons on the hill for God knows how many decades and a few greedy oligarchs isn't fair to 300 million people.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 17 2009
Posts: 562
Re: Wife just got stopped!

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are notwarned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 22 2008
Posts: 845
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Theft by other means.  Just one more of the tools of the state.

"That was when he spotted a shabbily dressed, middle-aged man wearing glasses that seemed too big for his face. The man, who turned out to be Maplewood cop Paul Bartz, was holding up a sign — "Will work for food" — as he approached and looked inside the line of waiting vehicles."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14466682?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

As local governments feel the pinch more, look for this type of activity to increase.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 8 2008
Posts: 929
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Logan:

I certainly support your upfront challenge to the officers. You are a rare breed that does simply follow blindly.

I would, however, submit that a more viable longer term strategy for these sorts of things would be more civil disobedience. If not directly taking their anger to the police headquarters itself, why not have your old clunker mysteriously crap out at the exact moment they want you to move on. Act bewildered, confused, and scared that your car is broken. Waste 20 minutes of 5 cops' time at the expense of wasting 20 minutes of yours. A pain for you? Sure. But what will they do when there is a line 100 cars long that can't get through because of some bullsh*t police block? Do you think those other 100 drivers will be pissed? Maybe while they're waiting they'll wonder why there's even a police stop in the first place.

FWIW if I were a criminal, I'd be salivating to know how many cops are tied up checking papers instead of remaining available to stop crime. This entire situation disgusts. And Logan, I don't know about you, but I've been feeling particularly antsy in NOVA lately...this is perhaps the most hated city worldwide. There's a lot of anger focused here, from the US and abroad, and I think it's only a matter of time before the angry ones break through the defenses. Unfortunately, that will result in more of these stupid stops, subsidized by the Fed gov, of course.

 

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: Wife just got stopped!
Mike Pilat wrote:

 

FWIW if I were a criminal, I'd be salivating to know how many cops are tied up checking papers instead of remaining available to stop crime. 

 

+1 and California had to let thousands out because they couldn't afford the prison or it's staff. 

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 13 2009
Posts: 753
Re: Wife just got stopped!
Davos wrote:
Mike Pilat wrote:

 

FWIW if I were a criminal, I'd be salivating to know how many cops are tied up checking papers instead of remaining available to stop crime. 

 

+1 and California had to let thousands out because they couldn't afford the prison or it's staff. 

 

HA-  thats what you think. We are just making room for the bankers.Money mouth

 

 

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: Wife just got stopped!
kenc wrote:
Davos wrote:
Mike Pilat wrote:

 

FWIW if I were a criminal, I'd be salivating to know how many cops are tied up checking papers instead of remaining available to stop crime. 

 

+1 and California had to let thousands out because they couldn't afford the prison or it's staff. 

 

HA-  thats what you think. We are just making room for the bankers.Money mouth

 

 

I was referring to California - not the Riviera  - lol

wildjo's picture
wildjo
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 27 2009
Posts: 44
Re: Wife just got stopped!

At least you can see the checkpoints when you drive up to them.

I live in rural county in the midwest that just started equiping the police cruisers with cameras that automatically read license plates.  The image is fed through an onboard computer.  All the info on the title owner is displayed at the click of a button.  When the first system was installed, a local newspaper reporter road along.  Apparently, the cop was so happy when they had a "hit" and pulled over a "stolen" vehicle.  Of course, the information was months old and the vehicle's owner was pulled over and treated like a criminal for an hour while the bad information got sorted out.

Besides eliminating the Constitutional requirement of probable cause in order to initiate even a cursory search of a motorist, the cameras can also be used (albeit, theoretically) to map vehicle movement over time.

Anyone else have these appearing in their areas?

Scarlet's picture
Scarlet
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 23 2010
Posts: 1
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Hmm, I live in Queensland Australia and it is common knowledge that the police are around more at the end of the month than at the beginning... They have to fill their quota for the month to help with revenue... Queensland is spiralling into massive problems...

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Re: Wife just got stopped!

So do you find this proper behavior on the part of the authorities?  Being stopped for no reason (other than they can/the authorities I mean) is IMO wrong.  And to be stopped and checked out for the purposes of catching up on funds is disgusting IMO.  It's the cowards way of doing things as it mean that our politicians don't have the balls to either cut services or raise taxes.  But bottom line is, I just don't think it's right to be stopped by the police for any other reason than they think you've done something wrong.  Period!

Scarlet wrote:

Hmm, I live in Queensland Australia and it is common knowledge that the police are around more at the end of the month than at the beginning... They have to fill their quota for the month to help with revenue... Queensland is spiralling into massive problems...

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 28 2008
Posts: 1636
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Logan  Bro',

You know my advice to you is to get out of the US don't you? On a list of places I was least likely to travel to over the last 10 years, the US was bottom of the list for the many reasons you've written about both in the previous thread, where you were stopped, and this one, where your wife has now been stopped.

Do you concur that your liberties have been eroding for a great number of years now?

Do you trust the judgement in the majority of the populous?

Do you see personal gain in your spirituality( not religious), and happiness by up sticks and leaving?

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again - IMHO, New Zealand is a beautiful and walkable retreat, for example ... I know, because it'll be my next stop from the UK and most likely my last ...

... I'd follow Eric and my line of thinking if I were you ...

Just my thoughts ...

As Ever,

Paul

[edit] For the life of me, the main and only reason you're being stopped is because you're a cash cow for the cops, so what else is going to be taxed next ... ???

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Re: Wife just got stopped!

Paul,

I agree!  This would be the last place I'd like to visit if I didn't live here as well.  My wife and I were discussing this issue last evening and came to the conclusion that either the lower mountains of Idaho, where civilization is fairly non existent and there's a good supply of everything to live off of or to the southern parts of Canada.  Again, where there's a small amount of persons living.  I'm actually traveling to Chile next month to take a look at a couple of pieces of property, in foothills overlooking the Pacific Ocean.  Should be interesting.  As I've stated before, I'd like to keep as many firearms as possible and with some of my past clearances and acquaintances I may be able to do just that....keep a few.  We'll see.

Thanks for the advice!  The more I'm pushed in that direction, the better!

Take care,

lr

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments