Why would preppers show themselves on tv?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
elsinga's picture
elsinga
Why would preppers show themselves on tv?

Hi!

Yesterday the documentary "Doomsday preppers" was aired here on National Geographic Channel in the Netherlands. You can see the episode on Youtube:

It was very enlighting to see how some preppers do their prepping (although I found the nuclear bunker a bit over the top...), but some of the preppers want to stay "under the radar" and still get their prepping aired on national television. Does that make sense?

elsinga's picture
elsinga
If a mod sees this thread,

If a mod sees this thread, could he/she remove the spelling error in the title ("themselves")?

yracaz's picture
yracaz
I don't get it either

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the show but am also confused as to why the preppers would go on national television. It doesn't make sense. Also, they seemed very rehersed. I'm somewhat suspicious. Good ideas anyway.

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P
 Could it be that the folks

Could it be that the folks on the show were simply actors stepping in to give the show polish while at the same time, keeping the preppers identities concealed?  That mightbe the only way they could get folks to participate.

Tim

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Good link

Thanks for the link Elsinga

I'm impressed that the show did a fairly decent job of presenting the preppers as level headed folks.  They also showed people who really knew what they were doing and had made extensive efforts.  There were visual clues for those with experience that were interesting, like the pistol case and ammo for the first family that weren't talked about. The Mormon food boxes looked familiar too.

The ones in Phoenix are still very vulnerable without city water, and can't resist against large numbers of neighbors.  The chances of a solar flare or nuclear attack are extremely low, but the preps cover a wide range of other threats.  The people in South Carolina impressed me highly.  They are truly ready.

Even if they used false names and locations, it boggles my mind that anyone who had worked so hard to prepare would reveal themselves on national television.  People who know them will sure recognize them.

Travlin

elsinga's picture
elsinga
The first thing on my mind

The first thing on my mind was "could this be CM forum participants?"

The idea of actors instead of real preppers is a good one, but the locations can't be fakes as easily. Take the SC setup: neighbours would certainly recognise the pond plus solar setup, even if they faked the farmhouse for television. Same goes for the pond-made-greenhouse, which would be hard to setup elsewhere just for fooling the viewers.

I also was impressed by the SC setup. They can bug out real fine. The Phoenix families are indeed vulnerable (water, riots) and the nuclear bunker is over the top for me (but they would do fine if another load of SHTF though), I like an outside view...

Poet's picture
Poet
Preppers On National Television

Just watching the video, you can already tell Dennis, Danielle, Caden, and Vedah McClung's house number is 1605 on a suburban street in Mesa, Arizona. Since they run GardenPool.org and allow public/private tours of the pool, everyone who pays a fee and takes the tour will know where they live.

In fact, a Google search with just some of the above information just netted me their home address. I can see their house with Google Maps. The plastic greenhouse covering above the pool can easily be seen. They're on a corner lot with houses on a cul-de-sac behind them.

David and Scott on the other hand... Wow. Don't mess with them, learn from them!

Poet

jasonw's picture
jasonw
David and Scott have their own Youtube Channels

I have been following and learning from David and Scott for a while off of their youtube channels.  Especially Scott - some really great stuff to give you ideas on homestead setup and alternative fuels and resources. Hope this helps everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/engineer775

http://www.youtube.com/user/southernprepper1

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Thanks

Thanks Jasnow

The links help evaluate these guys.  Some of Southernprepper1's videos have entered the realm of bad fiction, and he has lost perspective.  I think he is enjoying the fantasy of being a hero in an unconstrained world.

http://www.youtube.com/user/southernprepper1#p/a/9F254DE5BF76C73B/1/srMe...

Travlin 

MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
It's legit...

A year ago they contacted me though my MrEnergyCzar  youtube channel, had a phone interview with Sharp Entertainment in NY etc..  I told them I didn't want to disclose my real name and town that I lived in, they had to look into it as it was in the early goings and that could have been an issue...    This thread is referring to the original 4 pilot episodes.  They got the green light to do 10 more which I think are already filmed....

MrEnergyCzar

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments