Why is the West Sacrificing Lives in Afghanistan to Protect Chinese Investments?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Why is the West Sacrificing Lives in Afghanistan to Protect Chinese Investments?

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article25251.html

Afghans know why invaders throughout history sought control of Afghan real estate. Not only does Afghanistan contain some of the richest mineral deposits in the world, but it also sits astride the shortest trade routes between China and Europe as well as between Russia and India. In this age of globalizing free trade and an accelerating scramble for natural resources, Afghanistan sits at the epicentre of Eurasia.

Regional Ambitions

American military and economic strategists recognize Afghanistan is a necessary bridgehead to engage America's competitors China, Russia, and India on their home field as well as to contain and pacify potential spoilers to the expansion of free trade in Iran, Pakistan, and the volatile Central Asian states. Plans to develop Afghanistan's abundant natural resources and reopen the ancient Silk Road as a modern transportation, communications, and energy transmission network are well underway.

The first two industrial-scale development projects have proceeded beyond planning to implementation. In 2008, the Afghan government sold the concession to mine Aynak, one of the largest copper deposits in the world. On 11 December 2010, the presidents of Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India signed a deal to proceed with the 1,700 kilometre TAPI pipeline, which will transport natural gas from Turkmenistan across Afghanistan and Pakistan to energy-hungry India. Many more mega-projects currently in the planning stages will soon be implemented.

In the specific case of the Aynak copper mine, no private company was prepared to invest the massive amount of capital needed not only to develop the mine itself, but also to develop the necessary transportation, communications, and energy infrastructure. Developing Aynak requires a huge long-term investment, which will likely far exceed 10-billion U.S. dollars with no return for at least a decade – all this to produce a commodity prone to price volatility in the global markets as well as high risk from the ongoing insurgency and political uncertainty in Afghanistan.

The Canadian, American, and British mining corporations that bid on Aynak can rely on state-financed insurance schemes to insure their foreign investments, but not to insure anywhere near the capital needed for this risky project. The Chinese state-enterprise, on the other hand, could rely both on the deep reserves of the Chinese state and China's need to satisfy its own insatiable demand for copper. While it might seem ludicrous that the U.S./NATO forces are protecting a Chinese investment, it makes strategic sense for a state – the United States – whose primary explicit interest is globalizing free trade.

Rojelio's picture
Rojelio
Re: Why is the West Sacrificing Lives in Afghanistan to ...

Thank you for that lucid description of why we're  in Afghanistan. What would it hurt the mainstream media to come out and explain this in simple terms? One thing though, I feel like you stopped short at the last sentence. It is not immediately clear to me why we spend billions and billions in globalizing free trade and others don't. Why are we (Americans) such an order of magnitude so much more motivated that everyone else appears to be on this issue? Shouldn't the Chinese, the Indians, everybody for that matter be crawling all over the middle east and Afghanistan with equal fervor? Is part of China's motivation to keep purchasing our debt because keeping our war machine running benefits them also?

ranch's picture
ranch

The Merhav Group of Israel controls Turkmenistan's gas. 9/11 brought the U.S. military into Afghanistan on a long-term mission to secure it.

Christopher Bollyn has solved 9/11 and his conclusion falls along these lines.  Connecting the dots is not very complicated.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/kabul-in-pledge-to-secure-key...

kennyq's picture
kennyq

The answer is very simple. You Americans just voted the wrong people in the offices, from cities, states and all the way to Washington D.C.

maceves's picture
maceves

Do we really want Afghanistan as a colony?  Should we keep Chinese interests out?  It may be of stragegic importance, but it is on the other side of the world and impossible to maintain.  No matter how hard we push our way of life on these people, they will revert to their traditional values as soon as we leave.  It is a black hole for all the money we can throw at it.  It does remind me of  Rome and Britain at the end of their empires...

Rojelio's picture
Rojelio

Kenny, I think that a large percentage of Americans naively assumed that Obama would reverse our military presence in Afghanistan. McCain would have been handed the same script as Obama, so I don't see that there is much democracy anymore in presidential elections.

inga's picture
inga

I am wondering if Afghanistan relates in any way to the issue of rare earth elements.  Afghanistan is the 'Saudi Arabia' of lithium, not to mention a lot of other rare earth elements.  Given China is decreasing their export by up to 11%-35%, I imagine that securing REE in Afghanistan is relavent.  I just started following the REE issue, and it is rather disturbing.

maceves's picture
maceves

ohhhhh.........

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments