Why not NPR?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
zenmornings's picture
zenmornings
Why not NPR?

I'm new here. I only took Chris's Crash Course day before yesterday. I might add that since then, I have alerted around 5,000 people around the globe who apparently have not seen or heard of Chris Martenson. Somehow it amazes me that so many people knew nothing of Chris.

Much of what is in the Crash Course, I already knew. But I was absolutely amazed at the concise integration of ideas and the forthrightness of the presentation. I have other good things to say aboout Chris and the course but, you likely already know them.

Early this morning I decided to see if NPR had intereveiwed Chris. I mean, NPR is by no means perfect but they have a knack for talknig with a lot of people who have out-the-ordinary or extraordinary ideas. I could find nothing in the search that indicated that they had ever given Chris any attention. Well, as I said, I'm new here. I'm sure there is much I don't know. Maybe Chris doesn't want their attention.

Or maybe . . . since there are over 28,000 members here we might let NPR know they are missing something important.

Z

r's picture
r
Re: Why not NPR?

In the evenings going home from work I listen to American Marketplace from American Public Media on wnyc.org - which also hosts NPR shows.  I think it would be great if the MarketPlaces host Kai Ryssdal interviewed CM.  It's also the most appropriate public radio show.

darbikrash's picture
darbikrash

I think that is a great idea. I'm sure this could be arranged if there was interest from the CM side.

V's picture
V

AHHH The syrupy sweet, lilting tones of National Propaganda Radio

That is just what the sheeple need. " Oh honey you should listen to this Bob Simon says we are going to crash"  " That's nice hon send them a check for their fund raiser"

Does anyone listen to that junk anymore?

And now Michael Feldman " whadaya know"

V

PS wanna get co-opted go on NPR. Obama will pick it up next

r's picture
r

I'm amazed when I read posts in different threads where for example Mike Pilat makes the point:

Mike Pilat wrote:

In today's environment, the broad public is not yet at the point to question these events, should they come to pass.

And here someone states there is no point in even trying to reach them.  This reminds me that "if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Here's a link to an American Marketplace short article, Greece, Germany, and Goldman:

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/scratchpad/2010/02/greece...

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Hi zenmornings!

Welcome to CM

zenmornings's picture
zenmornings

Look, I'm not trying to sell or promote NPR (or Market Place). Chris Ferrell's little homilies on MoneyMarket usually make me ill. I notice now he's pushing saving. Well, were the hell was he 5 or even 10 years ago? Certainly not talking about savings.

Chris Martenson's approach is very reasonable, holistic, non threatening and, for the most part, non political. And, there seems to be a rather interesting story behind him. Bully! There is no one on this planet who is not ready to hear him. People are nervous, if not frightened. Whether or not the NPR listeners are a cut above or below the average JQPublic or the participants here, is not the issue. In my view, they all need to hear the message.

Will an interview with Chris Martenson on Morning Edition, All things Considered, Market Place or Fresh Air save the world. No. But a steady Chorus of the 3 Es from as many sources as possible (including you) will help. Will they all accept or even understand it immediately? No, not a chance. But, if they hear it, it becomes some part of their psyche. If Al Jazeera will give Chris an interview, then great!

My own view is that all real change comes about very much like the 100th money phenomenon. However arrogant we here may be in trying to cleanse the great unwashed, it's not likely a conscious process at tall. The problem is not political, systemic, not even structural at its base. It is cultural. And culture is not much more than a collective set of  unexamined, unquestioned and, often, self-concealed assumptions. Questioning or, more difficult, changing those assumptions is rarely a very conscious process. We all want others to change their assumptions. Why else would we be here? But, when was the last time you set down and consciously questioned your own, most basic assumptions?  Do you even know that assumptions are a part of every single thought you have? Well, none of us is perfic.

To change these cultural assumptions, it takes time and a chipping away at them. Then, if assumptions do change, it suddenly seems. "Was it not always thus?"

Today, I will contact the CM organization about a email campaign to get Chris heard on NPR (or any other outlet they would like). Will any of you join me?

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P

Anything that gets the message out to more folks is a good thing.  I'm not a fan of NPR politics, but the current situation is not political and will impact both the left and right.  Chris's message is not based on party lines and should be heard by everyone, so I say this is a good idea.

Tim

jpitre's picture
jpitre

zenmornings -- First class idea -- I think NPR is a good venue for getting the CC word out. NPR may not be perfect, but I think it presents a more even handed approach to the news than any of the other major news services.

Jim

docmims's picture
docmims

Welcome zenmornings.

Good idea.  Just remember. we have a spirited discussion here at times and don't take it personally.

darbikrash's picture
darbikrash
Tim_P wrote:

Anything that gets the message out to more folks is a good thing.  I'm not a fan of NPR politics, but the current situation is not political and will impact both the left and right.  Chris's message is not based on party lines and should be heard by everyone, so I say this is a good idea.

Tim

What exactly is NPR "politics"? Just curious.

Woodman's picture
Woodman

NPR isn't perfect, but at least there's a heck of a lot fewer commercials and they seem a bit ahead of other major mainstream media sources.  I've heard the actual words "peak oil" mentioned more than once in the past year on NPR.  Marketplace sometimes sugarcoats how bad things really might be, but  there have been some fairly accurate and indepth discussions of the financial crisis on programs ike the Diane Reimes show, Fresh Air, and This American Life even.  NPR broadcasts the Commonwealth club sometimes, where CM recently spoke, though I'm not sure if they specifically aired his session. 

Getting CM on a program like Fresh Air, where he would have more than a soundbit to talk, has been brought up previously in this forum  and would be something I'd help petition.

Here's an excerpt from the regular Monday morning interview with Allen Sloan from Fortune Magazine that gives me glimmers hope sometimes because he is saying it like it is...

Sloan: Because we and are children have to pay the bill for this, and one day if we are not careful we're going to end up like Greece, whose problem is it owes a lot of money and in a currency it can't print. One day, if we are not careful, people in the rest of the world will not take dollars, they'll make us borrow euros or yuan or something that looks like a real currency, and it's going to be really, really ugly.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/02/22/am-sloan/

Tom

zenmornings's picture
zenmornings

I recieved this from Chris:

. . . I would be open to a campaign to get me on NPR, but also the Daily Show and any other venue where serious ideas can get a fair hearing.  Oddly, I suspect that NPR might not yet be ready for the ideas I present, but I stand ready to be pleasantly surprised.

I’m in the middle of a UK trip and cannot fully attend to your ideas below but will focus on next steps upon my return. . .

So, it seems he agrees but maybe we need a little more guidance so as to coordinate any efforst he may already have. When he returns from the UK, I'll follow up and report back. And, I agree (in my all-knowing munificence) that any place he can get a "fair hearing" is where we want him.

I do rattle NPR's cage on pretty regular basis (better than screaming at the radio . . . I think) -- occasionally they even respond. Not sure I ever got them to do anything. But I never did anything in a coordinated fashion with anyone else. Does any one here have experience with getting NPR or anyone else off the dime?

Somehow I had this picture of a room full of staff that would answer this -- silly me. As I said, I'm new here, but excited never-the-less.

Z

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum
Re: Why not NPR or Pacifica/Democracy Now?

Hi All,

How about campaigning for CM to be interviewed on Amy Goodman's Democracy Now or on one of Pacifica's stations, like KPFK in Los Angeles or KPFA in Berkeley or all of the above?  Anyone listen to those stations?  I favor the content on KPFK 90.7 FM than NPR anyday of the week.

Broadspectrum

drbubb's picture
drbubb

It will be hard for NPR's public to embrace CM's ideas (until it is too late.)

I suspect that JHK has it right:

Most people are angry, but not yet ready to confront the truth, that their own unsustainable spending habits, and wasteful living arrangements lie at the root of the current crisis.

/see: http://kunstler.com/blog/2010/02/rehearsals-for-a-civil-war.html#more

Having said this - It is worth an attempt - Why not try?

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
zenmornings wrote:

I recieved this from Chris:

. . . I would be open to a campaign to get me on NPR, but also the Daily Show and any other venue where serious ideas can get a fair hearing.  Oddly, I suspect that NPR might not yet be ready for the ideas I present, but I stand ready to be pleasantly surprised.

I’m in the middle of a UK trip and cannot fully attend to your ideas below but will focus on next steps upon my return. . .

Somehow I had this picture of a room full of staff that would answer this -- silly me. As I said, I'm new here, but excited never-the-less.

NPR, unlike many other radio outlets, will actually take 5 WHOLE MINUTES and spend them discussing a single topic.  The 3E's ain't no soundbite.  Methinks an NPR push is a good idea.  Not to mention it has the potential to be broadcast nationwide (not every NPR affiliate will air it, but...) and that's a fine fine thing.

Welcome, Zenmorn, by the way!

Viva -- Sager

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum
Re: Why not Democracy or Pacifica?

Amy Goodman of Democracy Now gives some guests 50 minutes, after her 10 min headline news.  Others get at least 10.  But MOST get 20 minutes.

Guests on several of the hour long drive time shows on Pacifica station KPFK 90.7 FM in So. Cal get about 20 minutes.  Do any of you know about Pacifica...in existence for over 50 years?  How long was Air America around?

Broadspectrum 

drbubb's picture
drbubb
Re: Why not Democracy or Pacifica?

Amy is fine.  Open-minded and intelligent.

If she did the interview, I think it could be very worthwhile

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

I listen to NPR regularly, and have several shows that I download as podcasts every week. I've posted several links to CM on various NPR shows' websites, but no response thus far. I've greatly enjoyed NPR's Planet Money; its not a polished, professional program that has an obvious agenda, but seems to be comprised of intelligent, well-intentioned people trying to make sense of economic issues. They have done a series of programs on healthcare, for example, which I think are very good. Also, in conjunction with NPR's This American Life, they did several great shows on some of the roots of our current economic crisis (check out "The Giant Pool of Money", "Another Frightening Show About the Economy", among others).

I included several of the NPR podcasts I found most useful on the last page of my now dormant healthcare blog:

http://web.me.com/cpetersj/Christophers_Site/Blog/Entries/2010/1/4_Conclusion_(for_now%2C_at_least).html

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
V wrote:

That is just what the sheeple need. " Oh honey you should listen to this Bob Simon says we are going to crash"  " That's nice hon send them a check for their fund raiser"

V

Wait, wait....don't tell me! NPR stands for National Puppet Radio, right?  It's odd that people consider both NPR and Canada's CBC, open and relatively unconflicted.  CBC, a left leaning librarian type if ever there was one, is now tottering around on spike heels whoring for dates. It's now quite obvious that she was never as impartial as she seemed.  NPR and PBS still keep up appearances by retaining butt ugly commentators, though. Have to give credit where it's due.

It is quite unlikely any govt or corporate backed institution would invite Chris to speak, unless they are in their death throes and willing to try something really novel, like letting someone tell the unfettered truthabout our present situation, to the best of his or her ability.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
agitating prop wrote:
V wrote:

V

Wait, wait....don't tell me! NPR stands for National Puppet Radio, right?  It's odd that people consider both NPR and Canada's CBC, open and relatively unconflicted.  CBC, a left leaning librarian type if ever there was one, is now tottering around on spike heels whoring for dates. It's now quite obvious that she was never as impartial as she seemed. PBS still keeps up appearances by retaining butt ugly commentators, though. Have to give credit where it's due.

It is quite unlikely any govt or corporate backed institution would invite Chris to speak, unless they are in their death throes and willing to try something really novel, like letting someone tell the unfettered truthabout our present situation, to the best of his or her ability.

Read below and ask yourself if an organization like NPR would ask Chris to speak. It's worth a shot, but is highly unlikely and is a measure of Chris's ability to connect the dots that need to be connected. NPR and PBS, never mention war and oil in the same sentence, for starters.

From PR watch:

One of the over 75 pundits revealed by the New York Times as being part of the Pentagon military analyst program was Robert H. Scales Jr. In 2003, Scales founded a defense consulting firm, Colgen, which lists both National Public Radio (NPR) and and Fox News as clients. NPR's Ombudsman, Alicia C. Shepard, wrote on her blog that since February 2003 Scales "has been on NPR 67 times, most often (28 appearances) on All Things Considered (ATC). The latest was March 28, when he gave ATC listeners an assessment of the fifth anniversary of the war. ... Only once in December 2006 was Scales' relationship to Colgen mentioned." While 40 NPR listeners protested against any further use of Scales, Shepard disagreed. "Rather than toss Scales off the air and lose his practical and scholarly knowledge of the Army, in the future NPR should always be transparent and identify him as a defense consultant with Colgen,"....

http://www.prwatch.org/node/7277

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Woodman wrote:

Getting CM on a program like Fresh Air, where he would have more than a soundbit to talk, has been brought up previously in this forum  and would be something I'd help petition.

Fresh Air, should be renamed "Not Quite as Stale Air" and "All Things Considered", "Some Things Considered".

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

redundant

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments