Who Do You Trust?

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
cat233's picture
cat233
Who Do You Trust?

I received an email this morning from BJ Lawson's campaign. 
http://www.lawsonforcongress.com/  I have in the past posted several of
BJ's articles on this site.  If you go back to day one of BJ's blog,
you will learn a thing or two. 

Below he talks of Chris.... Who do you trust?

Cat

Whom do you trust?
It's an open question that I've been pondering for the past several weeks.
The markets have been asking this question, as well -- despite billions of
additional borrowed money to bail out Citibank and protect
AIG's trading partners
, we keep sliding to new lows as debt deflation
continues.
Our Treasury Secretary, Turbo Tax Tim Geithner, sat in front of the Ways
and Means Committee yesterday to assure our representatives that his actions,
and Obama's budget proposal, are absolutely necessary to restore our economy.
His favorite quote when confronted by pointed questions or painful anecdotes
from our current crisis was, "That's exactly why we need to..." [bail
out AIG/increase the TARP/create the TALF/embrace a budget that forecasts a
$1.75 trillion deficit].
Oh, really?
Keep in mind that just last week Geithner gave a massive gift, at our
expense, to
Citibank
.  He exchanged the Treasury's preferred stock for common stock
valued at $3.25 per share.
Yesterday, that Citibank common stock closed at $1.22. We, as taxpayers,
have given Citibank far more than its market capitalization, yet watch a
minority stake dwindle towards worthlessness.
Why should we believe any words that come out of Geithner's mouth? Does
anyone believe he has the interest of American citizens in mind?
Here's my take -- it's up to all of us to move quickly through the stages
of grief. Many still labor in stubborn denial. Anger doesn't help.
Rationalization -- particularly prevalent among Obama supporters desperately
looking for "change" -- also interferes with preparing for what's
next.

It's time to accept that we are approaching an economic dislocation
that has been decades in the making. It is the mathematically-inevitable
consequence of an system that tends towards instability -- it's not a bug, it's
a feature. It's the system working as designed.

Once we can accept that our politicians and bureaucrats intent on
consolidating power, and corporate interests committed to the status quo, will
neither admit nor address the root causes of this crisis, we can prepare
ourselves and our communities for what comes next.
What comes next requires a government that rejects oligarchy, embraces
individual liberty and responsibility, and empowers us to rebuild our
communities by restoring trust.
I've mentioned Chris Martenson's Crash Course before,
and I want to publicize the fantastic educational (and refreshingly apolitical)
forum Chris has grown over the past several years to discuss our current
challenges and rationally prepare for the future. I'm also excited to report
that a good friend from Virginia Beach is helping Chris host a Crash
Course Seminar
in Lowesville, Virginia on April 24th.
It will be an excellent opportunity for people ready to embrace and create
change to think, plan, and connect. I hope you'll consider attending --
especially if you prefer being part of the solution instead of waiting for Turbo
Tim to figure out that he's actually making things worse.

In
liberty,

BJ

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
Re: Who Do You Trust?

Cat,

This is absolutely spectacular! I skimmed over his stances and it's great to see that he 'gets it' for the most part. No doubt you had a hand in that as the "friend from the beach"...

In particular, he already shows an understanding of money and a commitment to justice that most bankers and politicians lack:

Quote:

Even though the problem is complicated, our United
States Constitution has a solution. Constitutional money is not a
debt-based paper currency. There’s no need to
disrupt the current system, however, and we don’t need to “fix” our
existing paper dollars to some amount of gold or silver. We just need
to give those paper dollars some honest competition
by again allowing alternative currencies such as gold, silver, and
other barter currencies in addition to Federal Reserve Notes.

As your Congressman, I will support the Honest Money Act (HR 2756) and Free Competition in Currency Act (HR 4683), which provide that needed alternative.

Having this choice doesn’t mean you'll need to carry around gold
or silver to go shopping. We can still have all of the electronic
conveniences we enjoy today. You’ll just have the option to use
whatever type of money you desire in transactions. It’s also important
to note that there can be no capital gains or sales tax on gold or
silver. You don’t expect to pay sales tax when you get change for a
ten-dollar bill – why should you pay tax when you exchange other forms
of money? Read more here.

taken from: http://www.lawsonforcongress.com/issues/rising-prices/

Great to see!

Mike

mktqwn's picture
mktqwn

What a wonderful endorsement for Chris and the upcoming seminar in Virginia!  Now that we have Chris coming to Virginia, if only BJ Lawson could represent us!  The Martenson seminar can't arrive soon enough!  Teresa

cat233's picture
cat233

Hey Mike,

Yes, BJ does get it!  He is a man of action and not just words! 

It was thrilling to see so many from different sides of the aisle support his efforts.

Cat

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

Hey,

Trust is an interesting issue.   The Dollar bill still says "In God We Trust", but the actions of the government as of late are "In Bankers We Trust".  Can you trust the media?  Can you trust bankers?  Can you trust our government? Can you trust your neighbor?  Can you trust your friends? Can you trust your family? 

It is hard to know who or what to trust, but one this is true you need to trust in the facts, trust in reason, and trust in what makes sense.  In my opinion, a few rules (or laws) that stay factual, reasonable and make sense are:

1) gravity acts on all objects (stuff that goes up will come down, at least on earth)

2) supply and demand:  If you have more stuff than people want, need or can afford price goes down, if you have less stuff than people want, need or can afford price goes up

3) basic needs are: food, clothing, shelter and protection ((maybe transportation)). 

4) If it smells like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, than it is a duck!

I do advise to find out which neighbors, friends and family you can trust.  Could help in case things get bad.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Reading some of that blog on the page just highlights how biased and institutionalized all of our mainstream media is. Freedom of the press and freedom of speech are now really only found on the net, and only found after making an effort. This level of effort seems to be a high enough bar for most people that they are content to remain ignorant.

Lawson is running as a Republican, and yet the blog discusses how he "might be" more progressive than a lot the Democrats. Unfortunately, the buzz words that we use to define political leanings have become so corrupted to have sacrificed denotation to connotation almost entirely. Whether you want to call him progressive, reactionary, conservative, liberal, Republican, etc, the point is clear to me: the man stands for personal liberty and freedom. These happen to be the values that well informed and generally moral leaders founded our country upon and they are the only values that will allow our country to succeed in the long term. 

As I've always felt, the leadership can stimulate education and awareness on the issues, but the real change must be a change of heart from the people of America. Just as I feel that the market will always win in the end (even if we must wait a while), I feel strongly that laws, politicians, and institutionalized programs in this country are ultimately at the mercy of the people that allow the system to disintegrate. We are at an absolutely critical juncture in the political history of the world; a huge tipping point in which the People will choose individual liberty or will instead demand hand outs. As we have evidence to suggest, non-Republic governments based on pure democracy and not anchored by firm and moral laws (and a moral public) usually degenerate in a few phases, as suggested by Frederic Bastiat's concept of 'legal plunder':

1) People feel happy that they have "democracy" and have some control over their future. No one plunders anyone.

2) Some wolves begin to game the system and exploit weak laws. A complacent and ignorant public enables this as they enjoy the initial spoils of freedom. The few begin to plunder the many.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." --- Thomas Jefferson

Woman: Sir, What have you given us? (as officials exited the Constitutional Convention)

Benjamin Franklin: A republic, ma'am, if you can keep it.

Can we try to imagine how long this has been going on in America and just how deeply institutionalized it has become?

3) Eventually, the public is no longer ignorant and begins to understand "the way things really work." But the wolves have already worked out ways to avoid getting caught and the legal and moral foundation of the nation has weakened to the point that it is difficult to stop the wolves that have already increased their power significantly. The public gives up on changing the system and instead adapts around it. Here everyone begins to plunder everyone else.

Can we think about where this is going on in America? As Ron Paul has repeatedly stated: "People tend to emulate their elected leaders." If this is the case, then I fear for what's coming next to the culture of the People of this nation.

The Crossroads we're at should not be taken lightly, the implications of the outcome could last for Centuries. Only an educated and moral public is capable of making the changes necessary to get our country back on track.

Mike

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

mpelchat:

Trust your instincts. You know what makes sense for you better than Uncle Sam does. It was Uncle Sam that obligated you (and every other living American in this nation) to over $180,000 of future obligations for debt and entitlement payouts. You know better than to do that to yourself personally (I hope).

As for the language on a dollar, the goverbanksters are particularly unscrupulous. They will do whatever it takes to keep the debt-based fiat con game going as long as possible. The unfortunately reality is that too many people trust the rhetoric that comes from politicians and bankers because it sounds good. Unfortunately few of the People actually judge leaders based on their actions.

coolhandluke's picture
coolhandluke

If only we had an army of politicians like this

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

Thanks Mike,

You are just reiterating what I just said.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Thanks for the great post.  Lawson is right, we shouldn't trust the government as the politicians are bought and sold by the small group of international criminals that run the country.  I've heard Lawson speak and think he is right on many issues but he has chosen to be a part of our two party tyranny - both the republican and democratic parties are hopelessly corrupted.  If there is ever to be any real change, I'm beginning to think that it must come from the outside - a new third party.

Unfortunately, I think we must begin to ask ourselves should we trust the people; our fellow citizens?  While I remain an optimist that the people will wake up and understand what is being done to them - I also think that many people fear real change and are content to live a comfortable lie rather than risking uncomfortable change.  I hear many people, here and elsewhere, discussing "safe havens" where they might take refuge from the insanity of of our society.

To use what is probably an over-used analogy - it is like we are sinking on the Titanic.  The captains voice blares through the ships intercom - "please, stay below deck, everything is fine, go back to sleep or better yet, go shopping at the ship's mall where we are running a special 50% off sale."  Meanwhile, the water is rising half way up your port-hole and you have a queasy feeling that something is terribly awry.

Like many of you, I know the ship is sinking fast.  My decision, made some time ago, has been to wake up the other passengers and to help form orderly emergency teams so that we might, as a group, have the best possible chances for survival.  But I'm also a realist and can see that in absence of a popular movement of unprecedented proportions, it will be every man for himself.

Larry

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
DrKrbyLuv wrote:

I've heard Lawson speak and think he is right on many issues but he has chosen to be a part of our two party tyranny - both the republican and democratic parties are hopelessly corrupted.  If there is ever to be any real change, I'm beginning to think that it must come from the outside - a new third party.

Doc -

Not quite right.  BJ did not "choose" to become part of the "two party tyranny".  He had no choice but to run as a Republican because that was the only party affiliation with a contested primary.

Unfortunately, running as a Third Party was not a good option for BJ - right, wrong or otherwise, we have those oddballs and eccentrics that have run to thank for marginalizing the credibility of Third Party candidates.  Hopefully, as things deteriorate in this country, people will wake up and start sending pink slips to our current Idiocracy in DC.  I think then you will see an emergence of legitimate third party candidates - I have a feeling there is going to be a  lot of upheaval in the coming mid-term.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

personally i trust everyone

i trust that everyone will act in their own self interests. this leaves me to look after my own self interests

in the book " winning thru intimidation" robert rimmer talks about the three professors you will meet in the jungle of the business world.

prof #1--------he sees you have a hand full of marbles. he tells you he wants your marbles and will do whatever it takes to get them even to the point of cutting off your hand to get them.

prof.#2--------he sees your marbles but he buddies up to you in an effrot to get them by stealth

prof #3 ----------- he sees your marbles and damn somehow they end up in his hand but hey they are his now.

which prof would you enter into a deal with? this is your law of the jungle quiz

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Joe -

I would tell professor #1 that I will trade my marbles for his cows.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

well shoot, I'd first get myself ready for a fight and then tackle professor #1 head on. I trust what I can see with my own eyes.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

as far as the two party system, Ron Paul has chimed in on this. He doesn't agree with the Republican party as it currently exists, but he believes that the most effective way to change things is to work from the inside out within that party. I can't criticize him because I don't see everything he does from the inside.

But I do agree with Dogs, we're going to see a LOT of upheaval in the mid term elections. Ron Paul, and a few other conservative / libertarians coupled with the far left assault of Pelosi, Obama, & co. are forcing the Republican party to make a choice. They either stand by conservative principles, or they knuckle under. Right now, they are not really doing either, and that doesn't bode well for the future of the party. In some ways, it's a good thing that they are questioning their beliefs. But at the same time, I hope to maintain some sense of opposition and grid lock in D.C. The worst thing we could have, in my opinion, is a government that agrees with itself blindly.

cat233's picture
cat233
Mike Pilat wrote:

as far as the two party system, Ron Paul has chimed in on this. He doesn't agree with the Republican party as it currently exists, but he believes that the most effective way to change things is to work from the inside out within that party. I can't criticize him because I don't see everything he does from the inside.

But I do agree with Dogs, we're going to see a LOT of upheaval in the mid term elections. Ron Paul, and a few other conservative / libertarians coupled with the far left assault of Pelosi, Obama, & co. are forcing the Republican party to make a choice. They either stand by conservative principles, or they knuckle under. Right now, they are not really doing either, and that doesn't bode well for the future of the party. In some ways, it's a good thing that they are questioning their beliefs. But at the same time, I hope to maintain some sense of opposition and grid lock in D.C. The worst thing we could have, in my opinion, is a government that agrees with itself blindly.

I don't think we will have any major changes in a two party system until we go through something that affects the entire country... Such as a depression.... Then I think you will see the emergence of viable third, fourth and fifth parties.

Cat

castlewp's picture
castlewp

Sorry it wouldn't post the correct link

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
joe2baba wrote:

i trust that everyone will act in their own self interests. this leaves me to look after my own self interests

So, where does that leave me?  I just gave $2500 to a family whose jobs are in jeopardy, with a child at home on life support.  I guess I just can't be trusted to act in my own interest.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

your self interest might include the feeling of doing something worthwhile outweighing the feeling of acting in a greedy fashion.

i am not a facile person and am open to different motivations for different people. but any action is essentially coming from the ego. there is a certain sense of satisfaction one gets from doing a good deed.

if it were a truly selfless action you would not have mentioned that you even did it.

btw i am glad you did it i love to hear about people helping each other .............that is my self interest.

cat233's picture
cat233
c1oudfire wrote:
joe2baba wrote:

So, where does that leave me?  I just gave $2500 to a family whose jobs are in jeopardy, with a child at home on life support.  I guess I just can't be trusted to act in my own interest.

I often wonder about when times
are tough for all, how much helping there will really be.  While stock
piling food for the future, my thoughts go to, how do I share what I
have and keep enough for my own family.  I know I will be sharing, just wondering how this will all go down when there will be so many with needs.  Wondering what I will need and don't have.  I know Chris is right when he says it is all about community.  I have a lot of work to do around here in helping making a strong one.

Cat

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
cat233 wrote:

I know Chris is right when he says it is all about community.  I have a
lot of work to do around here in helping making a strong one.

If I understand his actions correctly, Chris decided that he wanted to get to an area where there already was a sense of community in place. I think it makes sense. Of course everything you can do to build a community in suburbia would be helpful, but I'm somewhat discouraged at the prospects...

cat233's picture
cat233
Mike Pilat wrote:
cat233 wrote:

I know Chris is right when he says it is all about community.  I have a
lot of work to do around here in helping making a strong one.

If I understand his actions correctly, Chris decided that he wanted to get to an area where there already was a sense of community in place. I think it makes sense. Of course everything you can do to build a community in suburbia would be helpful, but I'm somewhat discouraged at the prospects...

Mike,

You know I agree with you there, not sure what to do about that, especially when I feel Dogs and I might be "trapped" here.  In the current moment we are doing what we can to make our situation a better one.

Cat

coolhandluke's picture
coolhandluke

Cat233,

You have summed up what I have been thinking lately.  At what point do I cut others off?  I mean I would hate to turn someone in need away, but I also have to take care of my own.  I went to my city council and asked them what if anything they were doing to prepare at the local level and got a bunch of empty promises.  Ive sent them info on the crash course and made myself available to talk to them.  I got one email requesting a meeting, which I promptly replied to....several times with no response and still no meeting.  Ive met a couple people in my apartment complex, but not to the point of being able to start talking about crash course concepts.  Need to start coming up with good ways to meet the neighbors and not scare them away.

Lucas

cat233's picture
cat233
coolhandluke wrote:

Cat233,

You have summed up what I have been thinking lately.  At what point do I cut others off?  I mean I would hate to turn someone in need away, but I also have to take care of my own.  I went to my city council and asked them what if anything they were doing to prepare at the local level and got a bunch of empty promises.  Ive sent them info on the crash course and made myself available to talk to them.  I got one email requesting a meeting, which I promptly replied to....several times with no response and still no meeting.  Ive met a couple people in my apartment complex, but not to the point of being able to start talking about crash course concepts.  Need to start coming up with good ways to meet the neighbors and not scare them away.

Lucas

Lucas,

The house(s) across the street, down the street, around the corner... here, there and everywhere are for sale around me.  Best one yet, the one next door.  I will gladly tear down my fence if you are my neighbor!  I bet you can get a really good deal right now... HINT.

Dogs and I will talk with you about this when we see you on Saturday... Smile

Cat

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Lucas,

That would be a big garden.

And I think Joe is going to leave his hot tub.......

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
cat233 wrote:

I know I will be sharing....

Cat

I don't have to share my scotch do I?

cat233's picture
cat233
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
cat233 wrote:

I know I will be sharing....

Cat

I don't have to share my scotch do I?

Dear husband,

You won't have to worry about sharing your scotch... I will be confiscating all of it for bartering purposes.

Love,

Your wife

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Sam, Aaron, Mike -

Help!!!!!

coolhandluke's picture
coolhandluke

Cat,

If we were your neighbors we would gladly store Dogs scotch for you  Smile!

nickbert's picture
nickbert
joe2baba wrote:

prof #1--------he sees you have a hand full of marbles. he tells you he wants your marbles and will do whatever it takes to get them even to the point of cutting off your hand to get them.

prof.#2--------he sees your marbles but he buddies up to you in an effrot to get them by stealth

prof #3 ----------- he sees your marbles and damn somehow they end up in his hand but hey they are his now.

which prof would you enter into a deal with? this is your law of the jungle quiz

First, plant a large bag full of small rocks just out of sight on a windowsill outside of prof #3's office. Then in secret show prof #2 the marbles and "confide" in him that prof #3 not only stole most of my large sack of marbles ("these are all I have left") and is hiding them in his office, but you also overheard him talking with prof #1 about taking something valuable from prof #2 as well.  As he starts to get both greedy and worried, suggest that maybe his best chance to not have his stuff taken is to convince prof #1 that he can get a lot of marbles if we all act together and bum rush prof #3, because we all know prof #1 is good at this sort of thing and that prof #3 is a tricky ba$tard who won't stop until he takes everything we have ("I'll even share some of my marbles with you all when we recover them..."). Then during the inevitable confrontation and fight, immediately club prof #1 in the head while he's occupied beating the pulp out of prof #3. Justify the action to prof #2 saying that you just know he couldn't be trusted to keep the deal (unlike dear prof #2 who "I know I can trust to have my back"), and as a bonus he can have prof #1's share of the marbles.  Then ask prof #2 to grab the sack of marbles outside the windowsill while you stand watch at the door, knowing that he'll jump at the opportunity to pocket some extra marbles without you knowing.  As he leans out to grab the sack, kick him out the window and watch him go splat.  Set fire to the office, destroy the evidence, and keep my marbles  :^)

- Nickbert

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I must be either really bored or really twisted to have taken the time to dream up the above post Tongue out

- Nickbert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments