While we were watching the gulf oil debacle...did Hillary sign a U.N. Confiscatory Gun Treaty?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
While we were watching the gulf oil debacle...did Hillary sign a U.N. Confiscatory Gun Treaty?

Hopefully someone can verify or discount this story:

"Bet you hadn’t heard how the Obama administration had sidestepped the 2nd Amendment this past Wednesday by having Hillary Clinton sign the U.N. small arms treaty . All I’ve heard was how BP’s oil was going to destroy the Florida Keys as it meandered its way out of the Gulf of Mexico, a steady assault on Arizona’s border legislation, Elena Kagan’s nomination to the Supreme Court or how a Suni Muslim won the Miss America pageant. All these stories are newsworthy and deserve a nod; but why wasn’t Hillary’s signing off on a treaty with the U.N. mentioned, a treaty that will eventually lead to total disarmament of civilians?

“Once the US Government signs these international treaties, all US citizens will be subject to those gun laws created by foreign governments.”

It has been determined by the Obama administration that the citizenry might be better off not knowing about the U.N. treaty signing. It might be more than our little minds can take; show them some more pictures of water foul covered with slime or plumes of oil spewing from 5,000 feet below the surface of the Gulf; but for heaven’s sake don’t mention anything about taking away guns; American’s take offense to the very thought."

Larry

daswafo's picture
daswafo
Re: While we were watching the gulf oil debacle...did ...

Fortunately for us, all international treaties must be ratified by the Senate before they become law.  I doubt that even Harry Reid is stupid enough to try to send this to the floor in the current political environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratification

n the US, the treaty power is a coordinated effort between the Executive branch and the Senate. The President may form and negotiate a treaty, but the treaty must be advised and consented to by a two-thirds vote in the Senate. Only after the Senate approves the treaty can the President ratify it. Once a treaty is ratified, it becomes binding on all the states under the Supremacy Clause. While the United States House of Representatives does not vote on it at all, the requirement for Senate advice and consent to ratification makes it considerably more difficult in the US than in other democracies to rally enough political support for international treaties. In the US, the President usually submits a treaty to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (SFRC) along with an accompanying resolution of ratification or accession. If the treaty and resolution receive favorable committee consideration (a committee vote in favor of ratification or accession) the treaty is then forwarded to the floor of the full U.S. Senate for such a vote. The treaty or legislation does not apply until it has been ratified. A multilateral agreement may provide that it will take effect upon its ratification by less than all of the signatories.[1] Even though such a treaty takes effect, it does not apply to signatories that have not ratified it. Accession has the same legal effect as ratification. Accession is a synonym for ratification for treaties already negotiated and signed by other states.[2]

vilanodavis's picture
vilanodavis

Plus, I did some searching and I couldn't find a "reference" to the actual signing anywhere.  When did she sign it? Where?

There is no shortage of info saying she would and will, but as the other commenter pointed out, even if she did, its not binding without a senate vote.

daswafo's picture
daswafo

It looks like she simply signed up to eventually sign a future agreement once everyone has agreed to what the agreement should be that they might one day agree to if they can all agree about what they think the agreement should be...Wink

Hopefully, it is at least that convoluted so that it never actually happens.

go here

V's picture
V

Larry 

I seriously doubt anyone will be taking my neighbors guns any time soon. As far as the Gulf oil spill we lost the freedom of the press when BP ordered the Coast Guard to stop CBS from filming oil on OUR beaches. I think it is time to start a move to impeach Obama as he is the commandr in chief and he is responsible.

HT to Greg Roberts  for the link on the Gulf oil spill thread it is on Info wars.

I am starting to get po'd

daswafo's picture
daswafo

Additionally, there is the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which most Western countries have already ratified.  It is basically emancipation for children from their parents but it also has some strong anti-gun language.  Once ratified it puts the nation that ratifies it under the authority of International Courts that can actually trump national laws.  For most countries this is no big deal as they have just ignored the court but for the US it could be devastating since our constitution requires that ratified International Treaties trump state laws. 

It is essential to understand the interplay between treaties and state laws. Article VI of the United States Constitution provides:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

Go here for a good article from HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association).  BTW, if you home school or simply want the state to keep their mitts off your kids, this is a good organization to support.

daswafo's picture
daswafo

V

Speaking of guns and the gulf coast, you might want to have your neighbor talk to the citizens of New Orleans about how long it took all of the government troops who were there “helping” them to take their guns. 

I don’t think they will ever come for our guns out right.  It will all be under the guise of some emergency and under conditions in which it is almost impossible for communities to fight back.  They have all the time in the world to either wait for the right conditions or create them themselves.  Maybe we have to think the same way.

docmims's picture
docmims

Sorry officer,  I sold my guns.

daswafo's picture
daswafo

Well Mr. Citizen, the 4th amendment has been suspended and we have been ordered to search every house.

If we find any guns we will not only confiscate them but also charge you with some trumped up charge that you will never be able to defend against.

The New Orleans residents did not have charges brought against them but they did have their homes searched against their wills.  Only those with good stashes kept any guns.

maaa's picture
maaa

For the details about the Katrina gun confiscations, the American Rifleman a publication of the NRA has been covering this story and published many articles about it. The NRA went to bat in court to get folks guns returned. They were pretty much rust though.

There are currently a limited quantity of articles that you can search for www.americanrifleman.org. Questions about past magazine articles can be emailed to [email protected] and I think you can get copies if you would like to study them.

For an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rifle_Association

Mary Kay at PersonalSecurityZone.com

http://PersonalSecurityZone.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments