Which State Is The First To Go?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
Which State Is The First To Go?

Alright, so I admit that this is pure speculation and of no real value to this community, but I thought I should pose it to the community anyways. In the event of a US collapse, which State do you think would be the first to withdraw from the Federal Union?

My pick would have to be either Montana or Texas, though California might be forced to do so out of necessity.

As a native Texan, I think the state's mindset favors independence, and there have been rumblings of such a declaration as of late. Dmitry Orlov's recent speech in Dublin got me thinking about this possibility.

Thanks for your input.

ivoryjackal's picture
ivoryjackal
Re: Which State Is The First To Go?

I'd have to put New Hampshire right up there.  I'm officially a resident though I only reside there part time.  With "Live Free or Die" as your state motto you don't have to stretch too far.  No sales tax, no income tax, some of the most liberal firearm ownership laws in the country (outdone by their neighbor Vermont, tho) and many small communities that already exist with no love of federal restrictions.  They were the first to submit a state bill to offer payment in specie as an alternate currency (though it didn't pass, the referendum is used as basis for other states pursuing the same) and they have recently reiterated their 10th amendment obligations.

Only drawback is their lack of strong industry.  While an amicable breakup of the union would be perfectly fine for them economically (in fact an amicable break up would change little for the entire union, not counting the federal authority), I don't see the powers that be allowing anything but a messy break up.  That said, I'd prefer a solution to our woes that not only kept the union intact but returned most of our constitutional rights, including those of state sovereignty.

becky's picture
becky

Instead of letting them (states) get away for free, perhaps we should consider the modest proposal of selling a few of them.

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Instead of letting them (states) get away for free, perhaps we should consider the modest proposal of selling a few of them.

Becky that is hilarious...I bet they are already studying this in detail.

Really My bet would be Texas because they are one of the few States that are still solvent. They have Oil & Nat. Gas to boot not to mention access to shipping ports. They will get tired of being strapped by the liberals to bailout the likes of California of all their grandiose ideas..

JAG's picture
JAG
becky wrote:

I think there is a bear market in States, so we probably wouldn't get much.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
idoctor wrote:

Becky that is hilarious...I bet they are already studying this in detail.

Really My bet would be Texas because they are one of the few States that are still solvent. They have Oil & Nat. Gas to boot not to mention access to shipping ports. They will get tired of being strapped by the liberals to bailout the likes of California of all their grandiose ideas..

Of all the states I've been to -- and I've maybe been to 45 of them -- Texas is the one that seemed most like a foreign country.  

Viva -- Sager

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

I suspect this may have been posted previously on this site, but it is interesting, and relevant to this discussion:

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

From what I have seen, any of the southern states would love to be the first to start the "2nd confederacy".

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments