Where/How to buy Gold in Europe?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
ronetnivek's picture
ronetnivek
Where/How to buy Gold in Europe?

Chris offers some suggestions on where to get started with buying gold bullion in the United States, does anyone have any suggestion on where one would be able to buy gold coins in Europe?

Fogle's picture
Fogle
Re: Where/How to buy Gold in Europe?

Depends alot on where you are in Europe. But my local coin shops still sell, albeit with a big premium, gold coins.

What is on offer (here in Holland) are pre war 10 guilder coins (6 grams gold). They used to sell also krugerrands, eagles and mapleleafs, but these are all long gone. But now they sell more exotic coins, like 100 rubel (1/2 ounce) and golden Franks and Peso's. 

Maybe not your first choice, but gold non the less.

For silver, they most are one kilogram silver bars on sale. And, cheaper, junk silver in the form of pre 1967 guilders, 2,5 guilders and 10 guilders coins. They have 72% silver and weigh 6,5 15 and 25 grams per coin.

There are also several coin dealers online. Prakkenedelmetaal.nl and kevelam.nl come to mind.

This is the Dutch situation, but I guess it will be the same in other parts of the EU.

If and when you find some, please let us know as it can help others locate some real money.

Ps. My country hase some laws inplace that outlaws the personal posession of gold in a -goverment declared- financial emergency. So buying in person and paying cash is preferable. This way you don't leave a paper trail to the gold. Also keep you stach of precious metals hidden and don't show or tell to anyone. Maybe even in a bankvault for the time being. But get it out before any bank closures.

wilderness's picture
wilderness

I have bought physical bullion using Bullionvault (http://www.bullionvault.com/).  The gold is held in secure vaults in Zurich, London and New York, and physical delivery can be taken if preferred but not recommended as the bars would have to be assayed again as pure before being sold on the open market.  They have a very comprehensive help page which discusses issues such as safety, privacy, access, commission prices etc.  Gold can be bought in increments so a large outlay of cash at once is not necessary - which is helpful for the average salary earner.

Best wishes

Wilderness

FiedMoney's picture
FiedMoney

Hello Fogle,

Thanks for the pointers!

It seems that HBU.nl is also selling, well thats what they said this morning on the telephone. (I wonder why you didn't name "HBU" because my bank directed me to HBU).

As of the two other references, do you have experience with them? (While following these references, I saw that "prakkenedelmetaal" cannot deliver. What do you think, will this be something we will see more when golddemand increases?)

BTW, I assume that we (NL) do not have a 'government declared financial emergency' at this moment. Correct? Can the government make such a declaration without approval of the (1e & 2e) chamber? And would it be independenly from the ECB?

Regards and thanks again.

Jantjedeman's picture
Jantjedeman

I am also from the netherlands.

If the government would ask me: "where did you leave your gold, because you are not allowed to keep it"

Then i would say: sorry i lost it!

Anyway it is better to change money for gold. Also because then the tax office thinks that i have less money, and i dont have to pay taxes until a certain amount. They dont know about any of my gold.

Anyway it is possible to get physical gold in bars. In coins it is more difficult because the popular coins like Krugerand, mapleaf seem to have vanished.

and i am trying bullionvault.com  because it spreads risks. I dont want to keep many gold in my home of course. And with bullionvault one could sell the gold quite quickly with some keystrokes.  In real life selling of physical gold is more difficult to achieve in situations.

Then with bullionvault i would quickly get the money on my account if i need it.

My theory is that if i hold 1000 euro gold on my account and the euro would tank heavily (paper money!) to one tenth of its value, i would get 10000 euro on my account and it would like my personal situation would not have changed! Figure the Iceland people would liked have done before they got bankrupt! Now they cant buy gold anymore. I dont even mention Zimbabwe of course.

Feanor's picture
Feanor

In Vienna, there's Ogussa:

http://www.oegussa.at/neu/englisch_version/metallhandel_englisch/preise_...

ampers's picture
ampers

The first thing to do is to check your countries laws.

In Britain, making a huge profit when selling gold attracts Capital Gains Tax unless you are selling gold coins which are legal tender somewhere in the world.

I know that sovereigns are legal tender still in Britain and Krugerrands are legal tender in South Africa - or at least the one oz ones are.

Then google something like: Buy krugerrands in Britain - put your country here.

hillbilly's picture
hillbilly

Does anyone know if the Bullionvault site is 100% safe.

I have bought gold here, but with so many stories on the web about buying Gold and then having the possibility in the future of it being either confiscated, or having the ownership of said Gold becoming doubtful, I am concerned that perhaps the ONLY way to hold Gold is under your own matress (figuratively speaking).

Anyway, I would appreciate if someone with some experience in this matter could comment. 

By the way Chris, your site is exceptional, and it is very helpful to see so many different points of view on the forums. Thank you.

Alan.

MarkTurner's picture
MarkTurner

In the UK at the moment there is no CGT on Sovereigns or Britannias, but probably bacause of that they are very hard to get hold of and/or command large premiums over spot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether 10% premium on 2008 Sovereigns (the best I can get) is reasonable, or whether I'd be better off buying non-UK coins and risking CGT at some point in the scary future?

My other concern in the UK is that our Government has a history of retrospective changes to taxation, so I could pay the extra for Sovereigns then get hit on the CGT.

I've pondered this all for a couple of weeks and the price is going up all the time!

Fogle's picture
Fogle

FiedMoney,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have good experience with a local coin shop in  Ede. Although I think I have cleared him of all silver guilders and 2.5 guilders (pre 1966). But he should have some 10 guilder gold coins left (ca 6 grams of gold, 6.5 at 92%).

The other, Kevelam, is much more commercial. But they have allways had stock. Just call them and ask what they have at the moment.

Are you active on a Dutch forum? Maybe the peak-oil forum of Willem Middelkoop? We are trying to find local people to exchange idea's. And I have writen preparredness instructions in Dutch if you are interested. It is about 50 pages and covers what kinds of stuff to keep in the cellar. I have written it for friends and family. But I will share it with all who can use it. It is in pdf format. So let me know.

barrt's picture
barrt

Hi hyspec

I have bought gold at bullionvault.com - one thing i like about them is that they bank with Lloyds Bank which is largely owned by the UK goverment now, so its a pretty safe bet that they wont be going down - either the bank or bullionvault.

The security question is another matter though (i.E confiscation etc) we should be ok unless the S really hits the F, but if it does, you have the ability to sell and re-buy in one of the other 2 countries, I have mine in Switzerland which is just about the safest place i can think of, but should that begin to look bad I can sell it and either hold the cash, in 2 other currencies which is also good, or re buy gold elsewhere.

What does everyone think? I really dont like the idea of having large (ish) amounts of gold in the house so im sticking with this for now while trying to buy coins in silver and gold for local matters

To research further, do a search for Paul Tustain, the ceo of bullionvault, you'll find lots of info, he looks and sounds like a good guy, but hey what do I know! at least he isnt a banker and seems to show a healthy level of disdain for them, heres one link i liked http://cryptogon.com/?p=525

Anyway, the best of luck to you and of anyone has any other opinions, i'd love to hear them

All the best

barrt

Fivemileshigh's picture
Fivemileshigh

But Mark, how could they charge you anything after the sale? They'd have to know you have the gold, so unless you leave a paper trail you're safe!

In Belgium you can try www.eurogold.be. Nearby there are a number of small gold shops that sometimes have coins in stock at fair prices.

fujisan's picture
fujisan

Hi Fivemileshigh,

Are you belgian, like me?

AFAIK, the seller SHOULD have asked your ID card. OK you may claim you've been stolen, but Big brother is watching you...

I bought gold coins at Gold & 4EX (former Munters). It's located at rue du Midi / Zuidstraat in Brussels where you'll find several other smaller shops.

Do you know any place where to buy silver coins/bars in Belgium? I've been told silver, whichever the form, is subject to VAT / BTW.

Fivemileshigh's picture
Fivemileshigh

Hi Fujisan, I am not Belgian, I just happen to travel to Brussels frequently on business. I use www.eurogold.be mainly to check prices, but I have on occasion bought physical gold (coins) from them. They never asked for ID, but I always bought in small quantities, ie well below the 10,000 euro mark. Thanks for the link to Munters, I will look at them as well. As far as silver, I don't know any places that handle it in bullion form, other than various internet retailers already linked here. Silver is FAR easier to find and seemingly more popular in North America.

Cheers!

Fogle's picture
Fogle

Hi here is my 0.02 on the last subjects.

The most we bought (a pool) was around 6000 euro's in old (pre 1933) gold coins. No ID needed.

Here (Netherlands), gold is free of VAT (BTW). But silver has a 19% tax. Although if you can buy junk-silver, ie old guilder coins for me, they are considered collecters items, so no taxes.

But even with 19% tax, a 1 kg bar for 319 (8-jan-09) euro, comes under 400 euro's. I think it is still a good deal.

One reason we want metals is that they are real money. To be used in rough future times. But what can you buy for one whole kilo of silver? So smaller unit can be better. That is why we like the old guilders (about 4,5 grams of pure Ag), rijksdaalders (about 10 grams) and tientjes (18 grams). All these could be used for smaller exchanges. This is also the reason we like golden 10 guilders (6 grams of gold) better than the 1 oz coins.

Here is a link of a coin shop / metal dealer in Holland. The prices are inflated, but they have enough on stock to be interesting.

If someone here want to buy soon, we could combine the order and get a better deal. Just a though. 

Fogle's picture
Fogle

The link: 

http://www.mijnwinkel.nl/shop8146/

elsinga's picture
elsinga

Kevelam is quite expensive. I can buy quite locally for 2 to 5 percent less. No Krugerrands or Maple Leafs, but some other coins are there (Gouden Tientjes and Sovereigns). But still, I think of going to Brussels: even cheaper and less risk that the gold is traced to me. Munters seems to ask no ID, which is fine with me ;), and accept cash. So: no trails.

philv's picture
philv

In Brussels I know 2 address to buy gold :

http://www.gold4ex.be/

and

http://www.numagold.be/

Both sites give you the current price of coins and bullion both have a conter in the center of Brussels.

I know that numagold accept max 15.000 euro in cash per day per person no known limit for gold4ex.

OuroValor's picture
OuroValor
Where/How to Sell Gold in Europe?

Any information would be great.

Hanky's picture
Hanky

Hi everybody, Im new here from The Netherlands

To buy precious metals in our country I can recommend:

http://www.echtgeld.nl/ 

(mainly bullion coins)

http://www.prakkenedelmetaal.nl/index.php?op=viewpage&page=7 

(mainly bullion bars)

I did business with both and both are highly reliable in my experience. 

Gold is free of BTW (VAT) here but for silver you pay 6% for coins and 19% for bars.

An alternative way to accumulate some silver is to try to buy old (60's) silver 1 gulden and  2.5 gulden coins, which are minted from a 72% silver alloy, thus containing resp. 4.7 and 10.8 grams of the white metal.

General disclaimer: beware for the fact that there may be a serious bubble in current metal prices !

It would not surprise me when gold would fall back to ~$500 after world markets seem to have settled.

Just like Chris Martenson states in Chapter 15 : Anything that rises faster than average income is a bubble, by definition. Gold did.

edit: Since I'm new her, I did not read the whole forum yet, essentially this topic tells the same story:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/400-gold/14784

britinbe's picture
britinbe

you could try:

bullionbypost.co.uk

I've used them (amongst others) without issue

elboertjie's picture
elboertjie
wilderness wrote:

The gold is held in secure vaults in Zurich, London and New York, and physical delivery can be taken if preferred but not recommended as the bars would have to be assayed again as pure before being sold on the open market. 

The only way to buy gold is to have it in your own hands.  Anything aside from this, it is merely paper gold and will go the same route paper goes when there is a run on it... into the ether.

elboertjie's picture
elboertjie
Hanky wrote:

Just like Chris Martenson states in Chapter 15 : Anything that rises faster than average income is a bubble, by definition. Gold did.

Gold is different, as it is not a commodity, it is money itself.  Think of it is another currency.  The US Dollar doubled in money supply in the last two years and thus all fixed assets that are difficult to manipulate in quantity needs to rise in accordance.

This means that people are getting poorer, not that gold is in a bubble.

elboertjie's picture
elboertjie

One can also look at http://westgold.de/html/prizeList.php

Their prices are quite good.

perthtam's picture
perthtam

Re UK sovereigns at 10% above spot.

Buy them.  10% will be nothing in the future if the predictions about the fiat currencies happen.

teresap989's picture
teresap989
mpairet wrote:

Hi,

this: http://bullionpage.de/ would be a good starting point.

Yours,

Martin

Such a very amazing!
Thanks you for the post.

B.S.O's picture
B.S.O

I just want to make a short post on the guys from gold4ex.be. I just bought some gold from them and they treated everything very professionally. I had to wire the $$ ( I set up the price with them by phone tho), then  hand picked the coins (5 days later). And I have to mention that they were OK with changing the scratched or hit  coins twice. So, I'd rate them a big A. 

parischic's picture
parischic

I live in Paris, so it's easy enough to find pm exchanges here, although I've found that most prefer gold to silver. I think it goes without saying to make sure that you know what spot's current trading range is (roughly given the increasing daily volatility) because there are dealers that will try to rip you off until they see you know what you're doing.

Seeing how the French have a preference for gold and "name brands", I think it's wise for people living in France to hold coins rather than bars (which happen to incur higher VAT), and preferably French 20 Franc Gold Roosters (because it's their own coinage) and Philharmonics because they're the only European mint coin that I know of that have a Euro face value on them. This will allow for easier emergency travel because, while they obviously have a higher value than face, it will enable individuals to travel with more yet still within the allowed limits of physical cash (I think we're allowed to travel with up to 7000 EUR in France without having it confiscated as suspect).

Forgive me if someone mentioned it already and I missed it in the threads but Gold Money is based in the UK Channel Islands and have vaults in London, Zurich, and I believe in Hong Kong. I don't think it's such a bad idea to keep a portion of your physical metal with them, because they are positioned to act as digital pm currency should we find ourselves in a period between fiat currencies or hyperinflation. The Channel Islands have financial laws different from that of mainland UK. Also, Kitco payments can be made with your Gold Money account, so you can cash out for physical. Having said that, I've discovered that Kitco is limiting delivery on certain coins to US only, which screws out non-US residents.

SPAM_alexander01's picture
SPAM_alexander01
Buying Gold/Silver

I just want to share my two cents!

Buy a gold coin or silver bar that you can hold in the palm of your hand as it ignites a deep-seated gold lust that has lain dormant in most of humanity for almost 80 years. As you decide on how to buy gold, buy silver or buy platinum I hope these suggestions are valuable.

For you to learn how and where to buy gold or how to buy silver I recommend keeping it simple.  Engage in buying silver coins, buying silver bars, buying gold coins or buying gold bars and taking physical delivery. 

Avoid shady characters, like the GLD or SLV ETFs, NYMEX, TOCOM, etc. where the contracts are complex and difficult to understand and may result in your gold or silver actually being paper silver or paper gold and may be impregnated with counter-party risk.

SPAM_IEX's picture
SPAM_IEX
 Hi,   i just bought

Hi,

i just bought silver and gold at http://www.hollandgold.nl

this is to me a good dutch company who also sells in Belgium.

give it a try.

yours,

Marco.

craig_slater_nl's picture
craig_slater_nl
vaults in netherlands

does anyone know of any vaults in netherlands that one can store gold but that are not part of a bank.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments