Where to go? (Willing Volunteer)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Croatoan's picture
Croatoan
Where to go? (Willing Volunteer)

I do not think that "going it alone" will be a viable way to live into the change that is coming. As a result I have been coming out to Hawaii for the last few years thinking it might be a good place to focus on living with a group of people who are interested in sustainability and permaculture. Well, I was wrong. Most communities are either spiritually based but still ultimately bow to the petrol gods or filled with delusional or drugged members who think they can make computers out of crystals. I have been lucky enough to work and live on an off grid retreat center and I have an indefinite stay here but, again, they are not focused on sustainability. 

As a result I have decided to leave the Islands in a few weeks but I am stuck when it comes to direction. I am looking at flying into Seattle and taking it from there. 

So, if anyone knows any credible sustainable or permaculture farms that could use a hard working person who has worked as a high school teacher, a computer and network technician, day laborer, factory worker, grocery worker, a farm hand and various other trades please contact me. Also, I have a monthly stipend that I live off of o I am ok with money. Basically, I am a willing volunteer with a diverse knowledge set.

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Re: Where to go? (Willing Volunteer)

Have you hear of or considered WWOOFing? (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms)

Volunteer your labour for room and board and invaluable learning experience on farms or all sorts. A friend recently did this for their March break holiday (both teachers as well) and totally loved the experience.

check out http://www.wwoof.org/

please share your experience if you do so.

Best of luck

Croatoan's picture
Croatoan

Yes, been thinking of doing that again just to connect with people, but they are mostly farmers who are trying to make a buck in an oil world. I am currently helping out on an organic ginger farm here. I have some farming experience but I want to learn more permaculture and not sales based farming. Thanks though.

Nice photography btw, here is some of mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisb483/sets/72157615327025495/ 

Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims

Croatoan, come to Louisiana.  We are not exactly by the book in the bureaucratic or yuppy sense (we have germs), but it is a fine place to live above the hurricane surge line, and even below that, is a most mesmerizing place to live.  Here is a link to my fave local organic farm:  www.gofamilyfarms.com

Contact them and I am sure they may know what you are looking for.

Rosemary

Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims

I forgot to mention that I thought that maybe it is time for you to teach rather than to follow as you have been doing.  To me that means that you would come to a place that felt right for you and then live your life in the way you felt was "right" regardless of what anyone thought.  You teach that way, don't you see?  You don't have to change the world or even "fit in", you only have to live in the world with some joy and satisfaction.  It is I think the greatest mission.

Rosemary

Gadfly's picture
Gadfly

Check out California.  I hear the Manson Family compound is currently vacant.

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

Great Black and White work. I especially like the surfer and the bag of leaves.

I
have to admit that since watching the Crash Course I've been a little
too obsessed with the 3Es and this website and it's really made a
negative impact on my creativity and inspiration for photography.
Priorities have changed but I'll be back at it now that this hard
winter here in Ottawa is nearly over. But then again I might end up
channelling my creative energies into other venues such as farming and
sustainable living. It's funny thinking of how I used to obsess about
new glass and now I'm obsessing about a new shovel or how the seedlings are
doing.

I still think the WWOOFing is a good option especially for travelling and making connections (the one thing I really don't want to give up in a post peak world is travel). 
I guess it largely depends on the areas you're looking at. I remember
looking at options last year around Canada's east coast and about 1/4
of them were really interesting places that mentioned sustainable
living types of lifestyles (that didn't seem tooflaky). I don't think many of them really know what the term " Permaculture" means but still practice many of the principles through organic farming methods (at least that's my take from what I actually know about either).

I try my best to never underestimate what first-hand/hands-on experiences can do for one's life... or as Rosemary put it, perhaps you could be of a greater value to them?

strabes's picture
strabes

Croatoan, my situation is I'm moving out of the city of Seattle but I have reason to stay in the area for a while (at least a few years) probably moving nearby out to the peninsula (safely separated from the city by puget sound).  There are lots of little farming types out there, good people, good community.  I was going to try digging into sustainable farming on my own or joining up with some people on the peninsula.  I'd be open to dialogue with you about teaming up.  Totally understand if you're only looking at farms that are already up and running.  

DavidLachman's picture
DavidLachman

Hi Croatoan,

Have you looked into the federation of egalitarian communites?  Some of these talk about being sustainable and I'm sure they could use your help.

http://www.thefec.org/

Also the intentional communites website list communes, some of which are ecovillages.

http://www.ic.org/

A long time ago I knew one of the people who started dancing rabbit ecovillage:

http://directory.ic.org/2026/Dancing_Rabbit_Ecovillage

They seem to be taking the future seriously....

Croatoan's picture
Croatoan

strabes, I was actually looking into Port Townsend so I think we are on the same wavelength. I iwill drop you a line when my plans get settled and maybe we can meet up.

Everyone else,

Thanks for the links. The ic.org site is mostly junk, "forming or re-forming" groups and the ones I have already contacted are not taking anyone. I am kind of limiting myself because I do not want to live when the winters get too cold. Although climate change might make that irrelevant. :^)

<rant>I just want to know what the deal is with these communities and their videos. They always have a shot of people standing in a circle holding hands and singing. It just seems so contrived, forced, and unnatural. When I was working as a day laborer clearing rocks from a field there was such a spontaneity of either song or laughter that usually erupted. I think they are trying to imitate that. </rant>

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments