What is your Strategy for Dealing with Post Peak Oil?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
PastTense's picture
PastTense
What is your Strategy for Dealing with Post Peak Oil?

Chris has posted the following article, but in the comment section virtually no one is stating exactly what they are doing to deal with this.

Anyone? (I am mostly paralyzed with indecision).

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/past-peak-oil-why-time-now-short/5836...

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
PastTense:  To write what

PastTense: 

To write what exactly I am doing with the information in that article would take hours of laptop time and pages of contribution.  If you are preparing for a past peak oil scenerio urgently and comprehensively, then you dont have time to sit around and chat about it either electronically or socially. 

I think this statement is really at the heart of your question:  "(I am mostly paralyzed with indecision)"

You need to do something - anything.   If you want to know what to do then take the self assessment to determine your weakest areas, read the "What Should I Do" guide to strengthen those areas, read the "What Should I Do" series to get more ideas and get out of your comfort zone and do something - anything.

The cure for anger, depression, anxiety, fear, indecision and paralysis by analysis is ACTION.  Even little actions will get you further ahead than the rest of herd so you will have options to be comfortable.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Second

What Mooselick said.

Travlin 

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
converting row crop land to

converting row crop land to pasture

robie

PastTense's picture
PastTense
So why are you converting

So why are you converting row crop land to pasture, instead of  crop rotation, low-tillage, using manure for fertilizer... to reduce petroleum inputs?

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
Let me help you out,

Let me help you out, Robie....

Because seeding, tillage (even low tillage) and spreading manure on a large scale takes significantly more petrol inputs than converting to pasture. 

When you convert to pasture, the land is manured, seeded, weeded and rotated by grazing animals rather than machines.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
I intend to cry and then

I intend to cry and then sleep and then cry some more.

Then go all Jerimiah Johnson

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
Im with you, Johnny O. 

Im with you, Johnny O.  except I was thinking of goin all Josey Wales instead...

Nate's picture
Nate
PastTense wrote: Chris has
PastTense wrote:

Chris has posted the following article, but in the comment section virtually no one is stating exactly what they are doing to deal with this.

Anyone? (I am mostly paralyzed with indecision).

I read PastTense's question different.  Many preps on this site deal with the 2 week to 2 year time period after times become very difficult.  With enough food and drink secured for a long time, ample precious metals like gold, silver and lead, key farming materials like ammonium nitrate and diesel (just kidding), what"s next?  My preps are now focused on sustainable businesses beyond the public post-PO realization.  This is what I struggle with.  This becomes very personal - where you live, what is needed by others, skill set, etc. 

After completing "What I should do," then "What should I do?"  Opportunities are seldom labeled but will present themselves.  Plugging into the CM braintrust will help each of us carve out a future consistent with our individual situations.

Nate

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Mooselick, you

Mooselick, you understand.

PastTense, I'm retiring and opening gates and moving electric are much less risky than the commodity row crops. It uses WAY less dino fuel, to farm grass/mycorhizae than GMO anything. a big garden or two, fruit trees we est. 20yrs ago, 150mamacows, 50ewes,12goats,inumerable chickens.several ponds with native fish. 

robie, retiring at 51yrs(farming for a living actually,not seeing pts) 

Nate, there are no believers in my immediate sphere of influence. My partner and i have for 20+ years been considered a bit odd, so was Noah 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Doug's picture
Doug
Johny O
Quote:

Hope you keep your hair, pilgrim.  Wink

Doug

Poet's picture
Poet
In the Stadium Seats

There is nothing like being aware of what needs to get done, and lacking the financial or time resources to do most of it. I think the majority of Americans know something bad is happening, but are afraid to think much about looking behind the curtain.

I can continue to work, continue to earn money to support my young family on a tight budget, and watch as the Titanic slowly sinks.

Hopefully it will be a some years yet, such that as our twin babies get older, my wife can go back to school to study nursing, and we can get more of an income stream after she graduates several years after that.

I can only hope that time is not short.

Poet

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Tweren't Mormons
Doug wrote:
Quote:

Doug

Doug's picture
Doug
Johnny Oxygen wrote: Doug
Johnny Oxygen wrote:
Doug wrote:
Quote:

Doug

Thanks, love the movie and that scene.

Doug

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Survive and Thrive

PastTense,

A very good question.  The type and amount of preparations one does depends on what they think the future will be like.  For me, I view it as a two phase process. The first phase is the turmoil time.  It’s when people start to panic because they realize that life can’t go on like it has been and they have to do something drastic to survive.  There will probably be a lot of shortages and civil unrest.  It’s the time we don’t want to go out much and should be prepared to stay at home for a while to avoid the dangers.  Everywhere won’t be the same but since no one knows where the hot spots will be it would be best for everyone to consider their town/city to be one of the hot spots.

The second phase, the one of long-term sustainability, is what you’re asking about.  I think things will settle down and life will be more like the great depression or post-war Europe, except that people aren’t as polite as they were a few generations ago!  And (at least in the USA) people are use to demanding and getting what they want, when they want it. This will bring a lot of conflict and hopefully be an opportunity for those of us who have prepared mentally (i.e. further down the road with the 5 stages of loss/grieving) to be leaders and build communities.  I’d love to build a community of like minded people in my neighborhood before the first phase but I don’t think it will happen until people get shocked into reality. 

I don’t have the resources to buy a farm and live off the grid.  Even if i did, I’m not convinced that would be a good idea because of the isolation of the countryside when the first phase hits.  Also, I still have a good job and if I bought a farm I’d want to do it a little further north from where I live now.   

I really don’t have a strong “action plan” for post-peak oil.  My main reason is that no one knows what life will be like then. Will major cities be destroyed like a war zone?  Will flash mobs ransack every home in my neighborhood? (Not much I can do to prepare for that.)  Will my city still have basic utilities like water and sewer?  Will Texas (where we live) succeed from the US?  (It's the only state which legally can succeed so it is a possibility.)  What other major changes will be in effect? Marshal law?  Gas and food rationing?  No one knows so I see it hard to prepare for anything specific other than having a garden, some chickens and possibly solar panels to reduce the high cost of food and energy.  When that time comes I will put my faith in: (1) God to provide strength, a support network and opportunities, (2) the possibility to be a leader and bring others in the neighborhood together, (3) my ability to think “out of the box” and come up with ideas for new business opportunities, (4) my knowledge of how things work so I can repair and build needed items.   

I think a correct mindset is a VERY important part of anyone’s preparation for the future.  Thinking about the future and coming to terms with what will happen puts you way ahead of others.   Deal with the denial, anger, bargaining and depression now so you'll accept the future, whatever it is.

One thing I keep reminding myself.  Even in the great depression when there was 30% unemployment, there were still 70% who were employed.  Accept our new future, be a leader and build a community wherever you live.  Together we will survive and thrive. 

Nate's picture
Nate
Survive and Thrive

Mr. Fri,

Outstanding post!!!    IMHO you have got it together and connected the dots.  God bless you!

Nate

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments