What is your POSITIVE vision for the future?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
What is your POSITIVE vision for the future?

"In every challenge lies the seed of opportunity."

Most of us who've been around this site for a while are well aware of the reasons to be concerned about our future.  Peak oil, climate change, resource depletion and economic instability collectively present perhaps the greatest threat ever faced by human civilization.

I think we can all agree that change is necessary.  Yet as anyone who has worked for change can attest, it is frustratingly elusive. This is certainly true on a personal level.  How many people who make New Year's resolutions actually follow through with them?  But it's equally true on a larger scale.  Enabling change has always been the "holy grail" of environmentalists.  Undoubtedly there have been some successes, but overall the environmental movement has failed to engage people in the process of change on a large scale.

Why?  I would argue that change has been elusive because we have a poor understanding of how change works and what it entails. The environmental movement, to continue with the previous example, is so accustomed to campaigning against things that it has lost sight of where it wants to go.  One could use the analogy of inviting a partner to join you in a business endeavor.  If you can paint an inspiring vision of the business when it is successful in five years, as it serves the community and provides a livelihood for you and your partner, they'll be far more likely to join you than if you merely spend all of your time talking about the long hours, inevitable obstacles and financial obstacles involved in starting a business.

Both scientific research and common sense tell us that most people shut down and become paralyzed when faced with too much negativity.  This is especially true when they aren't in control of the forces acting on them.  That's why psychologists and people working in the field of addiction emphasize that a positive vision is the key to promoting change.  The clinical term for this approach is "enhancement of client self-efficacy".  "Self-efficacy" refers to an individual's estimate or personal judgment of his or her own ability to succeed in reaching a specific goal, such as giving up alcohol or reducing their degree of oil dependency.  

Supporting this sense of "can do" is essential in catalyzing change, whether on a personal or collective level.  The Transition movement, which has been discussed on this site, has embraced this approach wholeheartedly.  They believe that creating a vision of an abundant future - one which is energy-lean, time-rich, less stressful, healthier and happier - is the key to engaging people in working towards a powered-down world.

A primary goal of the Transition movement is to build resilience.  In this context, resilience refers to the ability of a person or community to respond appropriately to challenges and changes as they occur.  And what scientific research (from Dr. Barbara Fredrickson and many others) tells us time and time again is that positivity - not negativity - is the key to building resilience.  When I say "positivity", I'm not talking about sugar-coated, head-in-the-sand fantasy.  Nor am I talking about ignoring negative thoughts or emotions, or avoiding pain.  I am referring to the capacity of a positive vision to "broaden and build" our experience.  Positivity broadens our mindset, opening us to new possibilities, and builds our resources, giving us new tools to succeed.  

According to Dr. Barbara Fredrickson, "Positivity transformed early humans for the better, leaving them with extra measures of physical, social, intellectual and psychological resources."  Those who cultivated positivity became better prepared to survive future threats, and those who didn't fared less well.

It is one thing to campaign against the challenges we face and quite another to paint a compelling and engaging vision of a post-carbon world in such a way as to enthuse others to embark on a journey towards it.  I believe this now our most vital task - and one that has been sorely missing from most discussions about how to respond to the Three Es.

So let this be the definitive thread where we all share our positive visions of the future.  Let's use this thread to create what Tom Atlee calls an "alternative story field".  Let's begin to formulate new myths and stories about what a desirable sustainable world might look like.  How might your community, your work, your relationships with others, your connection to food and to the land, and your way of being in the world change in positive ways as a result of the challenges we're facing? 

I've shared mine elsewhere on the site, and I'll share it again in this thread.  But I'd like to hear from you first!

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat
Re: What is your POSITIVE vision for the future?

Nice Phase change, good idea!!!

This is the opportunity to:

1) Get back to community and personal relationships

2) Go back to the earth, whether it is working on gardens or taking walks in market areas or just being more in touch with your surroundings.

3) Make true innovations ((that are not squashed by what was an oil dominate political landscape)) with respect to energy sources

4) Step back and re-evaluate what are priorities should be and enact them.

Generally,  We have this opportunity to remake our society at least at a local level and move forward with fresh hope.  To make a society we can be proud of and our children can work to maintain will take great change.  We can not take the same old path anymore, we must take the right path even if it is a path we have never traveled and must face many new challenges.  However, we can face these challenges with knowledge and courage.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Thank you Chris.

Great framing and absolutely true.  I would not be here spending all these hours on this site if I did not have a positive vision of the future.

At Lowesville we did an exercise where named both our hopes and our fears.   People shouted out their hopes & fears and we wrote them down.

Here is the unedited list of hopes for the future that came up:

Hopes

Build community
Sustainability
Keep freedoms
Repair the earth
Find out what’s really important
More free time
Less complexity
More fulfillment
Stronger families
Stronger connection to nature
Greater respect for others/nature
Awakening/evolution
Constitutional government
Extinction of pop culture
No TV
Stronger connection to faith
Important issues focused on
New friends, deeper connections
Simple life
Personal responsibility
Self-reliance
Healthier lifestyle
SWF
Systems in alignment with values
Decreased anxiety
Living more in the moment
Environmental responsibility
Lies revealed – more open to the truth

These things are all possible and they can form the basis for our vision.  It is up to us to see that vision clearly and hold it until it arrives.  We can make it happen.  Or not.  That's the choice we now face.  I know which way I lean....

Best,
Chris

switters's picture
switters

Chris,

Thanks for posting that list.  Very inspiring.  One of the things I appreciated about the Crash Course is that, in spite of the seriousness of the message, it was apparent from the way you framed it and from the tone of your voice that you are actually excited - as I am - about the opportunities inherent in the challenges of peak oil and economic instability.

We've spoken about this personally, but it bears repeating here.  I think that a positive vision naturally evolves once we fully accept the reality of our situation.  Denial, anger, bargaining, fear and depression are all symptoms of resistance to what is.  Acceptance is what clears the ground for new possibilities to emerge.  It allows us to respond skillfully and appropriately to create a better life for ourselves and those around us.

With hope!

Chris

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Chris Kresser wrote:

I think that a positive vision naturally evolves once we fully accept the reality of our situation.  Denial, anger, bargaining, fear and depression are all symptoms of resistance to what is.  Acceptance is what clears the ground for new possibilities to emerge.  It allows us to respond skillfully and appropriately to create a better life for ourselves and those around us.

Chris -

Well stated.  That is the kind of frank statement that can help a lot of people struggling to tackle what is coming.

Cat and I came away from Lowesville reenergized and focused.  I had a discussion with Becca at one point and half jokingly commented that Cat and I were at what I called Step 7 or "Bring It On".  Thinking back it was probably a true observation - we had long ago come to accept that major changes were coming.  Thanks to Chris and Becca and the other people at Lowesville, our game plan crystallized and we have a clear path in front of us.  Not clear from the standpoint of no challenges or rough patches, but clear from the standpoint that we have a goal, a plan to get there and a tremendous community of supporters - locally and from the seminar and this site.

We are ready - and if we get thrown a curve ball, we'll change the plan and press on.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
cmartenson wrote:

Thank you Chris.

Great framing and absolutely true.  I would not be here spending all tehse hours on this site if I did not have a positive vision of the future.

At Lowesville we did an exercise where named both our hopes and our fears.   People shouted out their hopes & fears and we wrote them down.

Here is the unedited list of hopes for the future that came up:

Hopes

Build community
Sustainability
Keep freedoms
Repair the earth
Find out what’s really important
More free time
Less complexity
More fulfillment
Stronger families
Stronger connection to nature
Greater respect for others/nature
Awakening/evolution
Constitutional government
Extinction of pop culture
No TV
Stronger connection to faith
Important issues focused on
New friends, deeper connections
Simple life
Personal responsibility
Self-reliance
Healthier lifestyle
SWF
Systems in alignment with values
Decreased anxiety
Living more in the moment
Environmental responsibility
Lies revealed – more open to the truth

These things are all possible and they can form the basis for our vision.  It is up to us to see that vision clearly and hold it until it arrives.  We can make it happen.  Or not.  That's the choice we now face.  I know which way I lean....

Best,
Chris

Great list, Chris. But, is SWF single white females, or what?

cat233's picture
cat233
ccpetersmd wrote:

Peter,

In my seminar notes at that point, I have... Families staying together (less divorce).

Cat

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
cat233 wrote:
ccpetersmd wrote:

Peter,

In my seminar notes at that point, I have... Families staying together (less divorce).

Cat

Seems to me that more single females would increase the divorce rate!

What does SWF stand for?

Ready's picture
Ready

Edited out to not hijack topic.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

We (as in our Transition Town movement) ran the Crash Course in Cooran last weekend.  Some 30 locals (and not so locals) turned up, a good turnout consideraing it was ANZAC Day and preparations and promotion were hampered by two floods in ten days!

At the end, the outrage was palpable, and everyone there wanted to know what to do about it all.  So May will be the month we will start action workshops.  I think involving the community to raise a list like Chris M's is the way to go, empower the people, involve them in the solutions etc...  Thanks for this thread Chris K, I might even publish a version of your post in the next Newsletter to push the positive workshops..  I have a suggestion for SWF:  Shit Wrecks Fan?

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

A return to "good news".

We're so numbed by the constant bad news floating over the media channels that it's really hard to stay positive.
This demoralization has got to go. I know it's not as exciting the pandamonium out there, but I'm looking forward to the days where people mind their own business again, and "news" is "Oh! So and so had her baby" or "Summer Festival in two weeks".

In short, I'm hoping the world slows down some, big government retracts to it's proper proportions (that's to say, becomes small government) and people cast off this morbid fascination with bad news.

Cheers!

Aaron

PS - this is in addition to all the other suggestions already made.
The great thing is, this isn't "idealism" - it's the once and future standard of life.

davidm's picture
davidm

Great topic, Chris. Thanks.

It's been only 2 weeks since I listened to the CC. But I've known since high school in the 70s that the world was doomed. I think the Population Bomb gave me on that insight. I also realized that people (in masse) will not give up their comfort and convenience (and pillaging of the planet) until forced. In fact, I've been so disillusioned by the state of the world, I mostly gave up. My wife had to talk me into making the weekly run to the dump with the recyclables (I doubted they were even being recycled). 

Well, the time has come when we will all soon be forced to change. At first I was shaken to realize that our world isn't built on human ingenuity but rather on the one time gift of cheap energy. I admit that I have enjoyed this gift. I do very specialized work that I love. I've got lots of high tech gadgets and gear. I love the convenience and comfort of our oil world. 

BUT I also see a VERY flawed world around me. And I am now realizing that the same oil that gave us the wonderful gift of it's magnificent power, has also spurred a load of troubles. I really only know US culture, so I'll speak to that. I think the world is terribly alienating. I think most people do not enjoy their work. I can barely name a job I would want to have. I find corporations stifling and inhuman. They are built on the model of people as replaceable modules. I don't think most people get a sense of being needed and valued from work. It's impersonal and political and back stabbing by design. 

I think the playing field is badly uneven. The people who know how to manipulate and exploit the power of oil make way too much money while other hard workers report day in and out to meaningless jobs just to scrape by. Despite progress, minorities are still exploited. 

Individuality has gone too far. While we have enjoyed great innovation from this, there is a general spirt if competition and mistrust. A general lack of community and basic loss of humor and friendliness. 

Also, the world is too complex. It's too confusing and lends itself to anxiety. Watching the news is upsetting. Depending on systems we do not understand for our very survival is unconsciously unsettling.

And none of this is to mention the strife and starvation and oppression in other counties.

There is also the continuous and frightening consolidation of wealth and power. The destruction of the earth itself. The out of control credit based hollow consumerism.

Oh yeah, and then there is war.

I don't know that a post oil world will be free of all this, but I can't help think a lot of it will be better. There won't be much to fight over. I don't know how power and wealth can be consolidated when most things are being done locally. We won't need to wage war in the middle east. We may not need to wage war at all. There won't that much for which nations will compete and fight. You can't hoard the wind and sun.

Our work will all be meaningful. No more jobs making cheap plastic toys for carnivals in other countries. No more factory assembly lines. Much less pressure to speed the lines of production to maximize profits. Much less pressure and leverage to exploit workers for profit. Goodbye climate controlled profit driven corporate offices and the bizarre and mechanized culture they breed.

People will produce stuff we need and will be appreciated for it. When your windmill stops working, you will want to have the guy who fixes it over for dinner when he is done. You will pick wildflowers for the gal who can show you how to fix your roof or raise a cow or dig a well. Our work will matter, and we will feel valued. And that is more important to the spirit than money. In fact, I will go so far as to suggest that the whole reason we want to make a lot of money in the first place is that it makes us feel valued. There is no actual need for money in that equation, just appreciation.

We will appreciate what we have. A piece of fresh bread and butter will taste better than a big mac once we really know what it takes to make. We won't take things for granted and that will make us grateful. We will be forced out of our shells and into relationship with our neighbors. We will again know community. We will be known. We will be seen and depended upon. And that will make us fulfilled. And the scale will be much smaller. Many scientists believed we evolved in, and are best suited for, communities of 200/250 people. There is an anxiety in coexisting in cites surrounded by millions of people. It will be mayberryesque.

The playing field will be leveled. Being born into the right family won't be as important. What you can do, and what you know will be the determining factor. Blue collar workers will be as valuable as management. Race won't be as important. There won't be that much to hoard and defend. We'll be in it together and everyone will be needed.

The very pace and rhythm of life for slow down. Gone will be the constant march to grow, to have more, to keep up, to stay fashionable, to compete, to be better. Most of that is consumer based behavior. There won't be much of a top. And life at whatever top there is will not be blasted in our faces constantly by the salesmen of a product driven society.

The earth will purify. It will again be allowed to breathe. It will be given a chance to heal. We will live guilt free and without causing harm. We will not by drowning in opulence while others starve. We will eat an appropriate amount of food and get plenty of exercise. We will be healthier. We won't have to try to stay thin. The news will be much better. The media circus and celebrity culture will be gone. There will be no benefit to frighten or entertain us with the news. There will be no heap of products to advertise and sell.

I could go on, but these are some of the thoughts I have and why I am actually looking forward to a change and have been my whole life. I realize there was lots of strife before fossil fuel, and mankind can be power hungry and brutal. But we never knew what we know now. We struggled for everything. Life was hard. People couldn't read. There was no body of knowledge stored in books. AND the only energy slaves were animals, and some mechanical hydro and wind. I envision a post oil world that is full of renewable energy. Not anywhere near the amount of energy we have now, but enough for the essentials. There will be enough for medicine and heat and literacy and some transportation and musical instruments and enough specialization to allow for some arts and for new technology.

Running out of oil is actually necessary. We are rapidly destroying the planet and it's many creatures in what is largely an misguided quest to feel fulfilled. With some luck (along with a lot of deep planning and hard work), I think human life could be better than it ever has been. The trick is the transition. We have to build an infrastructure to build renewable energy. And we have to be ready. Once oil prices start to go up, we will all be anxious to make the switch--even the doubters and politicians. It will be the only thing that makes sense. And hopefully, the population can decline naturally, in the same way it has boomed. 

David

switters's picture
switters

DTM: By all means, please feel free to use the post in your newsletter!

Aaron: You're exactly right.  Transition isn't a pipe dream.  It's the way we've lived for most of history, and the way we'll have to live again when the oil runs out.  What we do have some control over is how we get from here to there.  That's what the Transition movement is about.

David: Thank you for sharing your heartfelt vision of the future.  That is a world worth living in!  I found myself nodding my head and saying "yes" repeatedly throughout your post.   

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I think change is my positive vision.... or to be more specific, the passing of some of the existing political and economic idealogies that have dominated the world for at least the past few decades, and bringing in new possibilities/opportunities that the existing status quo has made difficult or impossible. This nation, and arguably the world, has been in a state of stagnation in many ways.  And while there's no guarantees regarding how the future state of affairs will turn out, at least with the old status quo gone we all get the CHANCE to make it a better one. 

And I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but on the more down-to-earth level I see the largest corporations eventually dying or diminishing in power (the gov't can't support them indefinitely... though it certainly now seems as though they'll try), creating a void for entrepreneurs and local business owners to fill in the long term future.  In the short term it certainly seems like the cards are stacked against the small business owner (and getting worse daily), but for those that CAN survive the next couple years and readily adapt to new conditions there will likely be abundant opportunities.  I'm currently saving everything I can (most of it away from the dollar and other fiat currencies) in anticipation for such an opportunity. 

I really like this discussion of the positive visions for the future... along with just keeping spirits up, it also helps keep us from universally being branded "doomers" and being dismissed out of hand. 

- Nickbert

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

SWF = "Strong [something] Families"  (If Cat has 'families staying together [less divorce]')??

Great thread.  Have to mull my + vision and get back...

Viva -- Sager

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
ccpetersmd wrote:
cat233 wrote:
ccpetersmd wrote:

Peter,

Cat

Seems to me that more single females would increase the divorce rate!

What does SWF stand for?

Hello Doc -

My notes say "staying with family"

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
SagerXX wrote:

SWF = "Strong [something] Families"  (If Cat has 'families staying together [less divorce]')??

Great thread.  Have to mull my + vision and get back...

Viva -- Sager

Dude, thanks for trying! I'm stumped by SWF. Shockwave flash, single white female...

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Great topic!

1) I do NOT see hordes of radioactive cannibalistic mutants running around, non radioactive is another question.

2) I will get lots of target practice as long as my ammo holds up.

3) Fewer reality TV shows.

Those are the top three things I see so far. :)

Ed

(Sorry about the hijack but I felt like making a joke!)

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

I've been thinking a lot lately about the difference between "religious" and "living the spiritual life"

My hope for this crisis is that, somehow, we (That is to say, all of us; The whole Human Race) can learn more about living a spiritual life, and begin to walk away from "being religious". Of all the things that Jesus said, I think.....Well, wait........Never mind. I just think that we need to get away from this thinking of "us" and "them" - I had a supervisor one time who always said whenever somebody started to point fingers, "They is we." Wouldn't that be great if we lived that way as humanity? "They" is "We"

I am so fed up with "The Church" (The whole institution, not just a particular building or body of worshippers) that I'm very nearly to the point of walking away entirely. I think The Church is missing one of the greatest opportunities of all time right now. Surely, someone in my church knows how to grow a garden. I daresay I'm an expert at composting. Someone else there is experimenting with solar technology, or something. There's a little old lady down the street, somewhere, that's going to need some homegrown tomatoes, and another would love a little compost pile in her backyard. Another needs a vehicle repaired. Right now, CM has put together this really neat community on the internet, but it's unlikely that I'm going to go from Texas to Australia to learn about Permaculture. What if the church pulled its collective head out, stopped worrying about numbers of heads that walk through the door, and started preparing people now?

(Now to answer to the obvious point the critics are thinking: Why don't YOU do something instead of just complaining?) I am currently germinating an idea for a men's ministry. I hope to be able to speak to men who are trapped in internet porn, and are dying inside. We recently had a small setback in our plan, and I need to re-visit the idea with my pastor to get a new direction.

Mercy is more important than sacrifice; Forgiveness is important enough to do times without number; Showing grace to someone who doesn't deseve it is more important that being at church 52 Sundays a year; Love your neighbor as you love yourself; Do unto others....

OK, OK; I've gotten a little preachy here. Let me climb down from the soapbox and summarize: 

In a nutshell - More spiritual, less religious.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I guess my positive vision boils down to authenticity --

We'll all be very busy procuring the essentials of life that there'll be pretty much no time/effort for the meaningless [email protected] that gobbles up so much of peoples' time in this era.  Being devoted to the essentials will bring an immediacy and meaning to day-to-day life.  We won't hear this half of a cell-phone convo anymore:  [ring]  "Hey dude." ... "Nothin'...you?" ... "Yeah." ... "Allright...call you later."

We'll have to interact meaningfully all day long, about things that matter.  A lot of neurosis will go bye-bye.  People will bond more deeply.  Instead of chasing some "American Dream" handed down from on high, folks will dream their own dreams, and pursue them instead.  

Not terribly eloquent...but I've not had any coffee and the braim...I mean:  brain, has yet to boot up properly.

Viva -- Sager

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Damnthematrix wrote:

We (as in our Transition Town movement) ran the Crash Course in Cooran last weekend.  

DTM, youdaman.  Keep us posted on how your organizing goes.  I'm quite interested as this is something I'm working on in my community, although I'm about 8-1/2 steps behind where you are.  

VIVA -- Sager

davidm's picture
davidm

Works for me, Sager, even before the coffee. Thanks.

And I tend to agree, but have had this question about the notion of free time. To me, there will be less free time, but many many people seem to feel there will be more free time. Why do they think this? Life is about how you spend time, not how you spend money. I have a lot of choice now. But in the post oil world, won't I be breaking butt just to eat and stay warm and have some oil and vinegar on my salad? How is that free time?

David

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

tx

here is a link to the discourses of meher baba. the very first discourse is called the new humanity. it is an absolutely beautiful description of what we will be experiencing. this is spirituality not a religion and it is an important distinction.

http://ambppct.org/meherbaba/Book_Files/7th_Part_1.pdf

if you wish to read any further you can go to www.avatarmeherbaba.org.

there will ba a period of destruction and out of that will emerge the new humanity.

personally i was hoping to avoid the destruction part and just come back for the new humanity part..........oh well.

as far as a positive view of the future i see a wearing away of greed and self interest a developing sense of "we are all in this together"

i see decisions being made with 7 generations in mind ie. science looking at the long term effects of what is produced and how it is used.

and the communication of love from heart to heart.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
SagerXX wrote:

I guess my positive vision boils down to authenticity --

<edit>

Viva -- Sager

Dude I'm so with you, I have those types of conversations all the time, at work at home while posting on cm.com or watching a movie.

I'd so much prefer, and there's no time like the present to start, to say "hey dude, don't want to talk right now" and hang up. Although I do use the phone as a convenience device anyway, if it's not convenient I don't answer, if its important someone will leave a message.

Here's a good example of what is not authenticity, buying a Porsche Boxster (because it's a Porsche) and sinking $15,000 in upgrades and tuning to get the performance that matches a $30,000 Subaru STi. At this time I was trading my Sports-Coupe for an off road truck (because I need it for transporting myself to my new location, and hauling a 12x14 trailer).

Getting back to "natural stress" too, I mentioned in another thread this fact, why is it that having a meeting with a guy who spouts so much BS you'd like to punch him in the throat, but can't, effects me more than the 3-4 near death experiences I've had (motorcycle accidents etc.) after those I checked extremities, poked and prodded my abdomen looked at my bumps and bruises, and breathed a sigh of relief, then felt alive. In the prior case it sits on me like a lead weight for at least the rest of the day, and I keep revisiting it. 

Simpilicity too, there's nothing more fun than flying a kite on a windy day, or roasting marshmallows on a stick over a camp fire on a cold night.

joe2baba wrote:

here is a link to the discourses of meher baba. the very first discourse is called the new humanity. it is an absolutely beautiful description of what we will be experiencing. this is spirituality not a religion and it is an important distinction.

I like the distinction you draw, I'll check out those links. I do think that spirituality will play a large part in the things I'm looking forward to as well. I'm spiritual myself, but have lost my connection (could it be stress, and meaningless junk) with the world around me, I do get flashes every now and again, looking at the perfect imperfections of a spider spinning its web, or visiting some of my special places, and meditating.

Anyway here's to the future post crash may we all live to see it, and all make our dreams come true.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
switters wrote:

So let this be the definitive thread where we all share our positive visions of the future.  Let's use this thread to create what Tom Atlee calls an "alternative story field".  Let's begin to formulate new myths and stories about what a desirable sustainable world might look like.  How might your community, your work, your relationships with others, your connection to food and to the land, and your way of being in the world change in positive ways as a result of the challenges we're facing?

I found this somewhere past page 20.  Trouble is, the title of this thread does not include definitive thread, which could have helped it remain in the first few pages -- and lively.  Can that be remedied?

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

The value of time.

Its all you really have and you can't buy anymore of it.

The other night the kids were in our bedroom and we were all just laying around and chatting about our day. I'd like to spend most of my time doing that.

StrangeFoliage's picture
StrangeFoliage

While I'm not sure I'm far enough along to have an overall positive vision of the future, I appreciate reading this topic very much.  I'm still stuck deep in the fear stage, I think...

However, I will say that surprising bursts of happiness have come out of the changes I've started making in my life in response to this fear.  For example, as part of my push to increase my self-sufficiency, I bought a hand-powered grain mill and started learning about the different kinds of wheat, etc.  I was feeling a little strange about it, worried that my wife and kids would think that I had really gone into the deep end.  To my surprise, they all enjoy the home-made bread we've made, but even better my younger son just loves to do the grinding.  In fact, he insists on doing it himself and then later proclaims proudly as we eat the fresh bread, "I made this bread!"  (And I kind of feel like Tom Sawyer and his white-washed fence when I say "Oh, okay, I guess you can do do the grinding, as long as you clean your room up first.")

Anyway, I was excited to see how proud he was of it.  How invested he was in the product of his own sweat.  There is something magic there that we as a family hadn't tasted (pun intended) before.  I hope our future will have more of that...

jneo's picture
jneo

I HOPE there will be a universal acknowledgment of how our society has our problems BUILT in it, and that passing new laws or enforcing old ones will never ever solve our social problems.  

"You shall not steal"  this kind of behavior(stealing) is built into the system, Writing such ridiculous laws will not do anything.  Laws are just acknowledgment of the flaws in society and they will not work when we have built in corruption.  Only way to solve a so called "problem" is to design society without those social problems.  So design out the flaws is the point. 

SO I hope society eventually will wake up to the notion that Politics and Government will have to go, and we move toward a intelligent decentralized society as opposed to our centralized power structure, which we reinforce every 2 and 4 years. 

Cool ~joe

rickets's picture
rickets

StrangeFoliage - I have had a similar experience with my family.  Last summer, we built a pretty big garden.  In August, we had a BBQ and maybe 6 kids under 10 were there.  I cant remember any event or game ever getting kids more excited than they were picking our veggies and then eating them.  They were amazed, proud to pick them and make dinner with them.  It was very very cool.

Nothing...nothing can compete with nature when it comes to kids happiness.....I hope for a move back toward knowing nature where we grow more of our own food, play in openspace away from TV, and connect and feel healthier as a result.

deggleton's picture
deggleton

Whole places AND whole people as mutually reinforcing, local systems.  Absence of overextended human abilities and wants.

Davos's picture
Davos

Sustainable, supportive of natural resources, supportive of people not supportive of *psychopathic corporations. 

*Movie, The Corporation

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments