What Would You Be Doing Today If You Were Greek?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
What Would You Be Doing Today If You Were Greek?

Let's have a thought experiment.

Translate your circumstances. You are a Greek citizen. You work in Greece, your family is in Greece, most of your contacts are in Greece. What are your thoughts? What are you doing today? Are you one of the people who has taken your money out of the banks? What are your plans - especially if you cannot leave.

Or, come from the point of view of someone giving advice to an ordinary Greek person. Bonus points if you have contacts in Greece and can tell us what they're thinking, what they've been doing, what their plans are.

Quick background:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,802051,00.html

fiorgodx's picture
fiorgodx
1. Take all my money out of

1. Take all my money out of the banks.
2. Buy several goats, chickens, rabbits, and guns. If there's any left over, perrenial fruit & nut trees.
3. Breed the above animals and protect them using the aforementioned guns. Additional security (family, friends) required.
4. Barter eggs, milk, and rabbit meat for the things I need. Make connections with the people that have stuff that I'll need.
5. See what happens.

Getting some renewable energy would be up on the priority list, but as you can see I have a very survivalist slant :D

tictac1's picture
tictac1
Been there

My wife and I traveled to Greece last year.  We talked politics with locals a little, just to get their boots-on-the-ground impressions.  The consensus seemed to be-

Greek politicians are very corrupt (they believed ours in the US were straight, ha!)

They placed little to no responsibility on the people at large, they seemed to believe the crisis was caused almost 100% by the dirty dealings of the banks and government.

Greece was quite different from CA.  Poor people live in ramshackle sheds, with large gardens in many areas, including the open space next to freeways!  Gardening and raising animals is much more widespread than here in CA.  Greeks (as the other Europeans we met) spend a lot less time watching TV  and surfing the internet and a lot more time socializing, both during working hours in the shops and after work in the parks.  There seems to be huge gap between what is technically illegal and what is accepted in practice.  For example, Greece has helmet laws on the books, and yet we saw NO ONE wearing them, even in the busy downtown areas!  One memory I'll never forget-  a woman riding a two-stroke motorcycle through downtown, running a red light, with her DOG running at top speed beside her!  Hilarious!

land2341's picture
land2341
Bugging out

Overheard conversation in co-workers office in US today speaking with his girl in Greece.  They had planned him finishing out a eyar here and then him going there but were in the process of repidly reversing order.  She is bugging out to here taking as much of her assetts as she can to ride out the "storm" here.  HE told me she and he after his being there last month,  expect major disruptions no metter what happens next.  

They thought no matter how bad SHTF was going to get in either country it would go better for them here.   They really did not see major disruptions here as a possibility.

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
Back to the roots

I would do the same as about 40.000 other Greek People (last 2 years) - Back to the land of your Fathers & Grandfathers, making a living there with a lot less money but more quality of life as stated in the video from Deutsche Welle

(sorry, only in German, but some pictures spoke for themselves...).

The Women interviewed in the above mentioned video have had lost their jobs in Athens and no chance to get another. Here in the countryside on the land and in the houses of their fathers and grandfathers they stated, that their life was a lot better than in Athen, even if they earn not much money. There is a lot of help within the neighbourhood and the mood was good. The women with the small hotel (her husband leased the bistro in the small village of 900 on the peleoponnes) said, that they had a baby here - a decision they had never made in Athens, as they see a future here.

Best from Germany
Regina

& Sorry, today seems a day where I have lost my english knowledge, can't find the right words and so on...

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
Back to the roots

I would do the same as about 40.000 other Greek People (last 2 years) - Back to the land of your Fathers & Grandfathers, making a living there with a lot less money but more quality of life as stated in the video from Deutsche Welle

(sorry, only in German, but some pictures spoke for themselves...).

The Women interviewed in the above mentioned video have had lost their jobs in Athens and no chance to get another. Here in the countryside on the land and in the houses of their fathers and grandfathers they stated, that their life was a lot better than in Athen, even if they earn not much money. There is a lot of help within the neighbourhood and the mood was good. The women with the small hotel (her husband leased the bistro in the small village of 900 on the peleoponnes) said, that they had a baby here - a decision they had never made in Athens, as they see a future here.

Best from Germany
Regina

& Sorry, today seems a day where I have lost my english knowledge, can't find the right words and so on...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments