What is TSHTF for you? How will you know it's here?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit
What is TSHTF for you? How will you know it's here?

Hi everybody,

I've been using the term TSHTF for at least 2 years.  Now, I'm wondering exactly what we mean by that?  I don't mean the letters.  We all know what they stand for.  I mean when will each of us KNOW when it has exactly happened for us?  For those recently unemployed, or had their homes foreclosed, I imagine TSHTF is already here big time.

For me, it will be when our currency becomes so worthless that I can no longer afford to live conservatively in my paid-for home because of increasing taxes, utilities, food costs, etc.  At that point, I'm not sure what these old retired folks will do.  (We've done everything we can think of....stockpiled food and water...created a garden, created good community of like-minded folks, etc.  But sometimes, we wonder just how long that will carry us.)

What about the rest of you.   What will be your "marker", and how long do you figure it will last?  Or, do you still think TS will actually HIF?

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Re: What is TSHTF for you? How will you know it's here?

Well, Ben A, as Dmitry Orlov has emphasized: collapse is deeply personal. And I think your question here really highlights that most important of points.

For me and my family, we are still in the witnessing phase and not the experiencing one -- though my partner has been unable to find a "real" job in the more than two years since she graduated from school. We've always led a more alternative lifestyle than most, so a lot of the changes many people are making were already part of our MO.

That said, aside from obvious things like, say, losing one's job and/or home, I look to smaller infrastructural issues in my area like the cutting back of public services -- getting rid of police, fire, rescue; roads, bridges in serious disrepair; extensive abandoned commercial real estate (now becoming unavoidable and obvious around where I live); and so on.

Drip. Drip.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Oh it already has.
Have you ever seen a water balloon pop in slow motion?

For a fraction of a second, the water lingers in mid-air, in the shape of the balloon and the popped ballon explodes out of the picture.
If you watch the water in it's first realization - the gravity of the situation - too much unstable mass effected by physical laws encapsulated in two tight of a space. It becomes apparent around the edges first.

They lose their shape, and begin to fall, and as soon as that happens, the center loosens, and the whole things breaks apart and floods the ground beneath. Our society is under enormous pressure.
Encapsulated in aging concepts already showing distension.
It's my opinion that the balloon has already popped, and we're hung in limbo like all that water, just waiting for the gravity to take hold... our fringes are weakened and breaking apart, our center is losing its integrity...

It reminds me of a favorite poem of mine, excripts to follow;

"Things fall apart, the center cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed; and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned; 
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with a passionate intensity."
- William Butler Yeats, "The Second Coming"

I always found this to be a stunningly bitter and honest assessment of the human procession.
It also describes my balloon analogy which was 'absent' of the human element.

The "S" has "HTF". We're standing in the room with the elephant, and the best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with passionate intensity.

Don't be lulled into inaction by losing your convictions.

Cheers friend,

Aaron

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit

Coon and Aaron,

Thanks for participating in my question.  I thought it might provoke some real thought from others, who may have been talking about it a lot, but have not actually gotten down to looking at the hard facts for their own family.   Coon, I like the Dmitry Orlov link.  I have family in W. Texas who think I am absolutely crazy to talk about Peak Oil.  Their work is oil field related, and they love to tell me how great the oil business is right now.  They also delight in telling me how there is more natural gas than we cam use in 1000 years.....like you can do exactly the same things with gas as with oil. 

ejanea's picture
ejanea

I agree with Aaron.  It is already happening.  Originally I expected this in 1990,  then 2000 and now, but  in 2009 it is different for sure.

I am thankful for my house and my garden and my community that is out of the "main game" and always was.  It's just that friends used to think I was mad to live here, but not any more, and that's a big change for me... I'm not "crazy" any more!

Jane

kaman's picture
kaman

I think eveyone will have an answer relative to their own situation, but generally speaking, 2008 signalled the 'S' making contact with the fan blades.  Things around here are getting tougher by the day as more and more people feel the effects of those financial shots heard around the world, we're experiencing the "drip drip" an economic system about to bleed-out.  There will more than likely be some symbolic event that officially signals the collaspe of our mortally wounded system, but for many that event has already happened. 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

In the midwest we are protected some right now  with under 4% unemployment .In fact a company here in the county is doubling in size this summer and many roads being fixed .   But  Many large companies are doing furlough and filing bankruptcy .    Even the Airlines are cutting back on things they feel unnecessary .    We are thankful everyday that all our family has a job .    Praying nothing major breaks down to slow down our preparations...     Just not sure if we should be doubling up on the house payment or  buying more supplies .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments