What I am doing to prep...

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jager06's picture
Jager06
What I am doing to prep...

I have posted this on the Martenson Insider and wanted to put it somehwere where others can get a look and make any comments without hijacking the other information.

We all see the effects of the money printing scheme, and it is not hard to draw conclusions from what is being presented by Chris.

For those of us without access to the Primary Dealer window, our dollars are being printed into oblivion. I wonder how much lag is in the system right now, how much higher can the CCI go if the money printing presses were to stop right now?

I am hearing anecdotally more and more folks trying to get stuff as soon as possible, build a stash of food, buy ahead and spend their money right now. Velocity is increasing from where I am sitting.

More money chasing the same or in some cases less real goods (crop failures for example) driving prices higher and now the average citizen is beginning to wake up to the mess. Not many, but more than I have ever experienced before.

When velocity of money, or speed at which people try to divest themselves of their currency to get real goods in an effort to offset the rapidly increasing prices, increases, we find ourselves in the newly resurrected Weimer Republic.

Using gold as a standardized base for monetary value, we see that the Weimar price per ounce started at around 43 Marks per ounce, and ended a few years later at over 1.8 trillion Marks per ounce. Yes with a "T".

Among other things, current global unrest can be attributed to the man on the street unconsciously repudiating the monetary system, seeing it's effect on his/ her livliehood. As more sovereign poilitcal structures realize the source of the social instability problem is the global reserve currency, I think it is an easy hop, skip and jump to a new currency, or modified form of settlement that does not base it's value on the dollar.

It is this event that I suspect will bring the most economic pain home to the American citizen. When the trillions of dollars held as reserves by other nations find their way back to the good old US of A, our monetary base will explode, and with it the cost of everything. This will immediately impoverish just about everyone and force political and social structural changes that I can only speculate on.

So what to do? I am a middle class guy with several businesses and a full time job in law enforcement. I am probably like most others here trying to make the "transition" while living in the here and now.

Just to give some food for thought, as no one knows if I will be right, I will provide the economic steps I have taken to prepare.

1. Closed all stock and bond holdings (401-k etc) and closed the associated trading accounts.

2. WIthdrawn all cash from banking facilities, except that minimum amount necessary for running my businesses, about $40k.

3. Created "teams" of folks who are like minded and willing to particpate in co-op style purchasing using my own and other members retail licenses to get substantial discounts.

4. Purchased a years worth of supplies, using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and my own military experience to prioritize items.

5. Started gardening and I am quickly converting to aquaponics as a sustainment effort should the problems last longer than year. I think things will never be the same again, so this is really "digging my well before I am thirsty".

6. Purchased precious metals in ratios to my fixed interest debts, with the hope that I will be able to redeem my real estate for PMs if the worst does happen.

7. Purchased additional metals for purchasing a "new" dollar. I noticed that the Weimar transition to the Reich Mark greatly rewarded those who had held their gold and silver, allowing them purchase new marks for a steep discount to the same convertability of the previous currency.

8. I am selling my rental properties, as a short sale if necessary, and considering forming a partnership or LLP to purchase sustainable land. 25 acres per family (partner) with mature fruit trees and at least three acres of pond and a spring per 50 acres is a reasonable goal in my area.

9. Planning on being a gypsy if the absolute worst happens. Having a trailer, an older vehicle to pull it and necessary supplies to move if a terrorist event or natural disaster of such magnitude makes my region uninhabitable or unsafe for a prolonged period. I am planning on using wood gas to power the vehicle as I doubt any liquid fuels will be available during such an event.

Thats about it. I hope this helps someone else. If any of you think I might have missed something, or have any comments please feel free to post them or PM me.

Best Wishes,

Jager06

ehood's picture
ehood
Comment/Reply - What I'm doing to Prepare

Jager06,  what are you doing or your thoughts on the following:

1.  Managing communications.  Senate Bill 3480 (President of US could shut down Internet 30-days).  And, Comcast & NBC Universal look like they  are merging which will create the largest media company in the US & control of majority of Internet connections to households.

2.  Medical needs, sustaining meds, life threatening situations. The recent so-called Recovery Act mandated that medical records be centralized electronicly. Tax dollars have gone into quailifying medical groups for funds to purchase the equipment/services to put medical records into the cloud. If compliance is not met by 2015 fines go into effect.

3. Dealing with those who have weapons & use them to threaten others....desperate people. Where I live, you can go to the local flea market where there is access to a variety of guns, knives and other types of items that could be used as weapons. There is also a lot of military surplus items. No law enforcement agency will be able to help if things turn really serious.

I find for the most part people continue to not pay attention or care about what the shift that is taking place and others who won't talk about it or would rather keep their head in the sand......then there are those like me, to an extent, are powerless over much of what is taking place and can only prepare to the level we can then hope and pray we have enough courage and wisdom to see it through.

God Bless, Sage

earthwise's picture
earthwise
  Jager, Congratulations on

Jager,

Congratulations on your accomplishment in sustainability and preparation. I would think that you would find it quite comforting to know that you have the capability to better endure. I have one question in regards to item #9 the "gypsy" preparations. Obviously being prepared for all contingencies is best, however I was just wondering if the expense of effort and resources was commensurate with what IMHO would be an infinitesimal likelihood. A remote BOL as described in item #8 seems an unlikely target for terrorists, and immune from all but the worst of natural disasters which would also similarly affect the gypsy. The reason I ask is that I'm hunkered down here pretty good also. I've considered the possibility of being driven from my home/BOL, but decided to go 'all in' where I'm at; an Alamo mentality, if you will. Just wanted to know your thinking on this.

BTW, what are the terms of partnership in sustainable land. Just curious.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
ehood...

To answer your questions-

1. Commo- The internet can be maintained with old school dial up LANs, and steps are being taken to set this up here now. No more videos or streaming quotes....but you can still maintain an unsecure network and share info. I also set up classes for HAM operators and licensing, which has been met with a yawn. We have a substantial amount of GMRS radios and regular CB, so we could still communicate very locally with that, but long distance would be almost impossible. We also have some secret squirrel symbology laid on, but only for the most extreme circumstances, where travel and public assembly restrictions might be an issue.

2. Medical needs are being met by physicians, nurses, paramedics, lab techs and veterinarians who are on board. Each family is responsible for stockpiling and maintaining their own necessary medications such as insulin. We have been teaching some basic herbal remedies and basic pharmacology as it relates to antibiotic use and dosing. Trauma is handled individually with traiing on CPR/ FIrst Aid and some advanced paramedic skills. The most important issue in my mind has been the hygiene and sanitation issues that will develop with deteriorating infrastructure. Re-emergence of historical diseases is invetibale under such a circumstance, and priority is given to maintaining sanitary living conditions as an overall preventative.

3. Defense- Increases in criminal activity are to be expected. The prevalence of firearms and other weapons is a two way street. I have used my studies of the Argentine crisis and my own experiences in law emforcement and nearly 20 years as a professional soldier to guide me here. My stance is community defense and community policing as the situation degrades. More contact with neighbors, neighborhood watch style and I have encouraged everyone to get educated, get armed and get training to be a citizen in the most basic sense of the word. Police, even today, rarely stop a criminal act in progress, other than those involving traffic. Police mostly investigate and hand over the investigation (once a suspect has been apprehended) to the local district attorney for prosecution. Protecting one's family and self is still a primarily individual responsibility, and I do not see that changing.

No one can scream fire in the theater until they themselves are consumed. At a certain point you must stop telling those who refuse to prepare or acknowledge the signs around us, just to safeguard your own individual preperations from them when desperation and reality come crashing in.

Thanks for your comments,

Jager06

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Earthwise...

Thank you!

My research into terrorism and my personal experiences in combat lead me to believe that we as a nation are at significantly higher risk than we might care to acknowledge. The recent revelation of Egyptian weapons of mass destruction programs falling into the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood, combined with evidence of Venezuelan passports being given to terrorist infiltrators as early as the mid 90's gives me great concern. The mindset for these groups is substantially different than our own western perceptions. Time is of little consequence, as I learned from an interpreter who sensed my frustration during my negotiations with various tribal leaders in my area of operations in Iraq. He took the time to tell me a story that has stuck with me, and it goes something like this:

Two tribal leaders had a disagreement in which one was deeply disgraced and dishonored. The one who was disgraced plotted his revenge, and laid elaborate plans to accomplish it. He bided his time and when the perfect opportunity arose to take his revenge 40 years later, he took the opportunity and sprung his trap. His revenge was judged to have taken place too soon by the members of his tribe,and he was executed for dishonoring the tribe by moving so hastily.

To the best of my knowledge and research, the first overt meeting of muslim leaders in America to discredit and destroy the United States took place in a San Jose hotel in 1978. I believe that Walid Shoebat was in attendance as a member of the Fatah Brigade and has spoken of it on several occasions.

I know how this must sound to many reading here, and I encourage everyone to get their own information on the subject. I reccommend "Islam: What the West needs to know" ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-871902797772997781# ) , information from Walid Shoebat, David Horowitz (www.frontpagemag.com), Counterterrorismblog.org, and examine the links between drug cartels in Mexico and known terror groups such as Hezbollah and Hamas.

My informed opinion on the likelihood of a significant coordinated terrorist attack using some form of WMD that would affect even my relatively remote location is that it is substantially higher than a 0% chance. My examination of weather patterns and potential for contamination as a result of a major event also gives me significant pause and thus my preperation for that. Equally likely is a major earthquake, and this would fit my planning for that event as well.

I am suspicous that the current middle east conflagration is more than a result of the money printing by the Fed, but also a pre emptive event that has disorganized the normal money and social support centers for global terrorism through the political disruption that we are seeing. The unintended consequence may be the consolidation of power by the muslim brotherhood and other terrorist networks in these now destabilized countries. This also gives the US the ability to openly view the networks in place as they struggle for power and force them into overt activity that will allow us to target them in a more digestable manner for the average citizen. Yes, we are headed for a wider war in my opinion.

As for the LLP real estate purchase, we are tossing the idea around at our meetings and trying to come up with our guidelines, so it is a work in progress.

Best wishes,

Jager06

Poet's picture
Poet
Gypsy Option...

Great preparations! I wish I had even a 10th of your resources.

I'd be careful about the "gypsy" option. Cars and RVs are notoriously vulnerable to bullets. (Most houses are, too, of course.) So my suggestion would be to use it to move to another safe location, rather than depend on it extensively.

Poet

SteveR's picture
SteveR
Gypsy Option...

My general plan, as of right now, is pretty much the opposite of Dr. Martenson.  My life is completely portable (I can work from any decent internet connection), so I plan to go wherever it is safe - and that includes other countries, if it comes to that.

I am open to any constructive criticism that any of you may have.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Travel..

How will you travel?

How will you access your finances in the event of power or banking failure?

How will you secure your internet connection in the event of an outage or longer term disconnect?

If there are food shortages, or if the price increases we currently see continue, how will you modify your budget to accomodate your needs?

Your situation is admirable, but too much reliance on others and systems already proven to be weak or fragile may impede your movement and access to finaces. What if....?

Jager06

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Jager06's prep plan

A hat tip to ya! You've obviously put a lot of thought into your plan, well informed thought at that. I sure wish I had some like-minded people around here. I've got some really good preps happening here, but as far as any sort of community with the same vision, nada-zip-zero. But not for lack of trying. Like I said: Alamo. And we all know how that turned out.

Poet's picture
Poet
Life Portable
SteveR wrote:

My general plan, as of right now, is pretty much the opposite of Dr. Martenson.  My life is completely portable (I can work from any decent internet connection), so I plan to go wherever it is safe - and that includes other countries, if it comes to that.

I am open to any constructive criticism that any of you may have.

Your situation as fine. For now. So long as you don't encounter what the Libyans (currently) or the Vietnamese (at the fall of Saigon) encountered trying to flee.

Poet

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Like minded people...

Earth,

Like minded people have to be created when someone as far along as yourself begins to reach out.

This is a process, and dropping the Crash Course in front of someone who is trying to keep track of the Kardashian girls will result in dismay and denial.

I suggest that you start converting your neighbors into a mutual support network by having a BBQ. Well maybe not just that, maybe setting up a Neighborhood watch will get things started.

I do not know your geographical circumstances with regards to population density and ability to monitor potential trouble makers near your neighbors homes. You may be able to use the neighborhood security as a means to start building the cooperative relationships that will lead to the type of community reliance we are all working towards.

Your invitation does not have to be neighborhood watch, it can be a sewing or quilting group, a friendly BBQ that is done regularly, an herbal remedies workshop that you coordinate, a barn raising....anything is the basis for breaking the ice. Follow up with regular events, whatever you choose, so that the most important thing can be sown, the basis for a relationship.

The basic idea is to do something with your neighbors, engage them, help them and be a good friend and a resource. There is no doubt that you are a great person to befriend and that you have a lot of attributes that will endear you to others. Once you have shown them that you care, that you are doing something for them without regard for reward and that you are not a nut job survivalist, then you can begin to draw their attention to the issues at hand. Help with problem solving by doing something together, be it a chicken coop or a charitable event.

Normal kindness and friendship will remove the barriers and the conversations will naturally turn towards things we regularly discuss here at CM.

Best wishes,

Jager06

SteveR's picture
SteveR
Life Portable

Maybe it's normacy bias, but I can't believe that things would get that bad, that quickly, without warning signs for people like us who have our ears tuned into the best sources of solid information like Dr. M.  It's also hard to believe that it would get so bad, so quickly, that interstate travel would be shut down.

I should have mentioned that part of the gypsy plan is to always have a place set up nearby, stocked with food, water, etc. to get us through a month-long disruption, for example.  That place might be our current house, a friend's house, or a place in another country.

To me, nimbleness and flexibility seem more important than being tied down in one spot , with all of our "security eggs" in one basket.

Take Cairo, for example.  If I had lived in Cairo when the first demonstrations started, I would have gotten the hell out of there - maybe to a small town in Egypt or perhaps in another country.  But in reality, if one is portable, why live in Cairo in the first place in these turbulent times?  Why not stay several steps ahead by not living in potential hot-spots (e.g. political instability, most food imported, religious conflict, etc.)?

I would be glad to debate this, because I'm more interested in having the best information rather than simply being "right."  I don't want to be the bicyclist who had every legal right to ride on the busy highway but got smashed regardless.  He may have been right, but now he's dead.

SimonR4's picture
SimonR4
Internet Operating after Gov. Shutdown

I was reading on another website that it is a good idea to record the IP address of each site you want to maintain contact with, if the internet is specifically shut of to normal civilian traffic.  The idea is that the likely way the "Internet Shut Down" would occur would affect the DNS (the catalogue of where a site name gets directed, for example www.PeakProsperity.com gets directed to 174.120.12.180  If you want to reach this site faster without routers having to look up the site name,  you would use http://174.120.12.180 for this site. In all likelyhood the internet backbone would not be shut as it is used by most agencies of the government and military for communication (that is what it was designed for) and so you would need the IP numbers as the government would direct the routers to only us IP's and not forward the info request to any named site that is not on a government posted exception list.

elsur's picture
elsur
How to find the IP address?

Great idea SimonR4! 

How does one locate the IP address for a website?

Thanks,

Elsur

goes211's picture
goes211
IP address lookup

On a PC, Mac, or Linux box you should be able to get to a command prompt and then type:

nslookup PeakProsperity.com

The results will look something like this on a PC.

C:\>nslookup PeakProsperity.com
Server:  My_Router
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    PeakProsperity.com
Address:  174.120.12.180

C:\>

Just realize that these IP address can change which is why it is convienient to use the name instead of the IP address directly.  Also many busy sites like google.com or yahoo.com will have several address that can be used to reach the site.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
SteveR

I think for living in high density urban areas your plans are spot on.

Having the ability to relocate quickly and with minimal luggage would be my plan of choice. Your weak link is the travel itself and even more so, timing to get ahead of the crowd.

When the word gets out then it will be you and everyone else trying to make a run for it. Normal modes of travel may be unavailable, or deemed unlawful in the interest of national defense, medical quarantine etc.

If movement ot more secure location is your ideal, then I would want to make sure I had every available movement plan laid out with at least a map reconnaisance done. Map recon is when you look at specific routes that will be taken for the particular mode of travel you choose, for example if you are forced to walk to your secondary location. You walking route possibilities should be looked over on the map with several aspects in mind. You might have small children and need to move through less difficult terrain, but still have cover to conceal your movement, and distance to conceal the noise from the children. Maybe you plan on biking. You might need to look at the trail network and it's proximity to potential checkpoints or larger recreational gathering areas that might attract the displaced or be used as an incident command center.

Dont forget to take the affects of weather into your deliberations.

I would be very careful to make sure that the predetermined location you plan to move to is also secure. Events of a magnitude to force you to move, may also restrict communication and your ability to confirm that your safe house is still in fact safe.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for your input!

Jager06

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Like minded people...
Jager06 wrote:

Earth,

Like minded people have to be created when someone as far along as yourself begins to reach out.

This is a process, and dropping the Crash Course in front of someone who is trying to keep track of the Kardashian girls will result in dismay and denial.

I suggest that you start converting your neighbors into a mutual support network by having a BBQ. Well maybe not just that, maybe setting up a Neighborhood watch will get things started.

I do not know your geographical circumstances with regards to population density and ability to monitor potential trouble makers near your neighbors homes. You may be able to use the neighborhood security as a means to start building the cooperative relationships that will lead to the type of community reliance we are all working towards.

Your invitation does not have to be neighborhood watch, it can be a sewing or quilting group, a friendly BBQ that is done regularly, an herbal remedies workshop that you coordinate, a barn raising....anything is the basis for breaking the ice. Follow up with regular events, whatever you choose, so that the most important thing can be sown, the basis for a relationship.

The basic idea is to do something with your neighbors, engage them, help them and be a good friend and a resource. There is no doubt that you are a great person to befriend and that you have a lot of attributes that will endear you to others. Once you have shown them that you care, that you are doing something for them without regard for reward and that you are not a nut job survivalist, then you can begin to draw their attention to the issues at hand. Help with problem solving by doing something together, be it a chicken coop or a charitable event.

Normal kindness and friendship will remove the barriers and the conversations will naturally turn towards things we regularly discuss here at CM.

Best wishes,

Jager06

Jager,

Thanks for the input on community building. The problem I have is that I'm in a rural area (San Diego County, North County area) with few neighbors close by. Those few neighbors are unreceptive for a variety of reasons (old & crotchity, in denial, reclusive, broke and/or cheap and therefore unwilling to invest, or just plain goofy) except for one guy whose efforts are pathetic and half-hearted, perhaps because he's only half convinced (and I kind of think he's counting on riding my coattails if things get rough). But I'm grateful for even that. It's better than nuthin'.  

I do have a lot of friends in my church community, but they are all spread out (geographically, financially and conceptually) and distracted by life. Other friend and acquaintance groups who know my sentiments have all given me the half-laughter line "If anything ever happens we're coming to your house!".   Oh gee thanks guys. That's what I need, a bunch of helpless refugees.

One positive in in regard to the sparse population density is that there's no bad guys around either. They may come, but they would be obvious and would be seen from a distance. The only ray of light is a newcomer who recently started to build a new house 1/4 mile away. He's former military, really gung-ho, well armed and well trained, of sufficient means, and from what I can tell from our limited discussions, is seeing what we see. He's an encouraging sign. We'll definitely be talking more.

The lack of any other participants, however, doesn't stop me from forging ahead on my own. Or from trying again.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Earthwise...

Good luck!

I am glad to hear you have a vet nearby! We PTSD addled neo nutjobs do tend to see things a little differently than most! Hopefully you two can get a solid base of support for each other going.

Best wishes,

Jager06

FAlley's picture
FAlley
As a poor college student, I

As a poor college student, I have :

- Invested a little extra cash into some silver bars

- Bought a 1911 .45 handgun, some magazines, and training DVDs. Still need to purchase holster.

- Own shotgun and .22 rifle, with thousands of .22 rounds and about 40 shotgun slugs

- Have been stockpiling food, little by little, just taking a few items off the top of each wal-mart trip. I now have 1 duffle bag full of food

- Soap, razors, glasses, EXTRA CONTACTS, few bottles of water, several pairs of long wool undergarments and sweaters, rucksacks, sleeping bags, and various knick knacks.

I've accumulated very little (given my circumstance), but the little I have I hold as invaluable. The firearms, silver, and wool undergarments in paticular are precious.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Tin Man

Fire me a PM.
I've got a holster you can have for free.

Cheers,

Aaron

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: TinMan
Aaron Moyer wrote:

I've got a holster you can have for free.

I love this place!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Sagerdude's preps

I've laid out many of my preps on the Community Building thread, but here's a precis:

1.  Laid in some long-term food storage;

2.  Deep larder of canned goods;

3.  PMs;

4.  12-gauge and ~ 400 rounds of various types/purposes;

5.  2 summers of gardening -- expanding the garden this year and will put in a little hoop house by Fall;

6.  Various resilience-related purchases (extra propane, Excalibur food dehydrator, etc.);

7.  Various DIY practices related to food (learning to lacto-ferment veggies [i.e., sauerkraut, kimchee, etc.], and make our own kombucha);

8.  Lots of community-building and consciousness-raising groundwork.  I say groundwork because there is no concrete collaborative plans in place as yet.  There is collaboration on small projects (food storage, chickens) but nothing on the scale that Jager's got going (community patrols, post-Fan medicine, etc.) -- and frankly that sort of forward movement would give me more comfort than just about anything else on my list.

Still oh-so-much to do.  Limited by financial resources to a certain extent, but the greatest challenge right now is in the "people to work with" department.  As the Hawaiians say:  "Just hele on, brah..."

Great thread, Jager -- thanks!  And if you know of any 

Jager6 wrote:

PTSD addled neo nutjobs 

in the area of New Paltz, NY, then send 'em my way.  <wry grin>

Viva -- Sager

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Poor?

Wow, you are doing pretty good by most standards Tin Man! I can't imagine how tough it has to be living in two worlds for you. One foot in the here and now, working for grades and hoping it isn't for nothing. The other foot is planted squarely into trying to get ready for the inevitable. Add dating and a college budget.....jeeeeezus bro, you are working miracles!

I am very glad that you are doing 1000 times ore than most, and congratualte you on your endeavor sir.

Keep up the good work. You will be very glad for it soon enough.

Aaron.....that was awesome of you. I hope we can continue to use this thread as a place to lay it all out for others to critique and in the process, allow for a little good natured, neighborly help.

A flea market of sustainability wrapped in useful critique of each others progress.

I hope that last sentence made you laugh too.

Jager06

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
And if any of you know any

And if any of you know any PYSD (what is that, but it's most likely me?) in SE Michigan, send me their name please.

I was just looking for a past member from MI and found their user privleges suspended, then see VF temporarily suspended and LR gone!  Whats up?  Where else can I find people talking about these things in case I get kicked off?

Thank you Jager for your list...I gave it to my one foot in and one foot out husband.  He brought home a vintage 11 pc Hamm radio he found on craigslist yesterday and has been reading about powering a pick-up with wood gas for three days!

I asked him at lunch "Honey why do you buy all the preps if you really think our world can just go on forever the way it is?"  He said, "Because I know it makes you feel better."  True love.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
PTSD

Romans- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder....you may have it if you have been in combat, prison, life threatening situation or have more than three children....

I know you had to have smiled a little at that one!

You won't have to worry about getting kicked off. You are too kind and considerate of other's opinions and politics, and tolerant enough to allow them to keep their views unmolested.

But....as for your husband and you, what a great example of teamwork! Congratulations!

If you have not looked at the Mother Earth News Stratified Downdraft gasifier, I can tell you it is a worthwhile but daunting task. It will run a big block V-8 no problem, and the plans are pretty cheap. I think Victory Gasworks is another guy who is acutally building production systems that run very well, but are pricey.

Best Wishes,

Jager06

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
 Post your E-mail in a

Post your E-mail in a PM to those you want  before you get the boot .

FM

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Alternatative causes of PTSD
Jager06 wrote:

Romans- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder....you may have it if you have been in combat, prison, life threatening situation or have more than three children....

If you have three or more children, then "combat, prison, life threatening situation" is redundant!Laughing

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Romans and internet shutdown

Romans,

If you're talking about account suspensions, I believe that only applies to being able to post in the forums.  I think private messages are still available in such a case.  And like Jager says I doubt that'd happen to you.  You really have to push it and do so frequently to get suspended from what I've seen, and even then it's usually temporary.

Now if you want to take that a step further and address the potential long-term inability to reach CM.com (the site being down or hacked for example).... having some personal email addresses wouldn't hurt.  Isn't there also a Facebook page too? (at least so I've heard... I'm a little weird in that I don't frequent Facebook like most of my peers Tongue out)  Of course that may be moot if they take the whole internet down, but having phone numbers and a shortwave radio could help.  I myself have a SW receiver, but no HAM radio license (for now...)

Speaking of a potential internet shutdown and SimonR4's post, I'm not so sure they'd stop at just killing the DNS in the event of online attacks.  They might try it at first, but foreign or domestic hackers who intend to do damage would find it easy to work around.  And in the event it's done to silence internal dissent, over time that would prove inadequate as well as our fellow computer geeks and hackers develop workarounds like mirror sites to get around specific site shutdowns and distributing direct IP addresses by email or word of mouth.  I expect it's more likely any internet shutdown bill will be used two ways: either 1) target specific 'problem' sites (of course how they define 'problem' may be left vague) to try to keep internet-reliant commerce flowing smoothly, or 2) implement a near complete shutdown in the event of overwhelming cyber-attacks or major civil unrest.  I'm just thinking out loud here though and I don't have any specialized or insider knowledge other than just being a computer nerd Laughing.

- Nickbert

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Sager...

I wish you lived closer too bro!

I was out walking the property line and planning for the fence repairs, wishing I had someone with fresh eyes to give me another view of the property potential. I am sure I am missing something.

Oh well, just keep plugging!

Best wishes!

Jager06

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
re: Sager
Jager06 wrote:

I wish you lived closer too bro!

I was out walking the property line and planning for the fence repairs, wishing I had someone with fresh eyes to give me another view of the property potential. I am sure I am missing something.

Oh well, just keep plugging!

Second that!  Hele on!

Viva -- Sager

ciscokid's picture
ciscokid
Convincing a spouse

Folks,

I am as deeply concerned about the future and have been awakened so to speak.  I am doing my best to bring my wife into the plan but she is resistant.  I think because she is scared and does not want to see life change.  It could also be that she does not believe these things will come to pass. 

Does anyone have any advice?   I need her to be with me through this journey of preparation.  We have two young children and I want to make sure they have the best chance to succeed.  I know she does as well but seems to think everything will be okay as it is today.  I'd love to hear from anyone else that has had a similar challenge.

Thank you and best of luck.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments