What Else Is Happening as the Flu Hype Rages?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
What Else Is Happening as the Flu Hype Rages?

Hey all --

Several people have have floated the thought that while the MSM is consumed with the Flu (and to a lesser extent things like the Chrysler bankruptcy) all sorts of other things are sliiiding by -- like the approval of the budget and so forth -- without getting proper notice or examination.

Without turning this thread into an overall indictment of governmental nefariousness, I'd love for people to post about things that are happening right now -- things that are either out in the open (like the Chrysler deal and the US budget) but not getting proper attention, or things that are deep on the down low and getting even less coverage/attention than they normally would (which for d/l items is almost no coverage even in 'normal' times).  Again, I don't want to get *too* conspiracy-minded, but I'd agree that during a time like this TPTB will most definitely take advantage of the hysteria and slide things by in the background.

I'll get the ball rolling:

- US Gov budget

- Bank stress tests (now delayed from May 4th to sometime later)

- Rumors of major inside trading on Wall Street (prior to...what?)

- ?????

Viva -- Sager

Alex Szczech's picture
Alex Szczech
Re: What Else Is Happening as the Flu Hype Rages?

The Maine Senate voted to approve gay marriage -- the bill now moves to the House. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20090501-NEWS-905010399

The tide is really starting to change. And It's a good sign that the change (in this instance) is coming from a legislative body rather than the court system.

Twenty years from now folks will be amazed that this was ever an issue.

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen

There was some sort of a screw up (I hope) where someone flew air force 1 low over NYC.  Panic attacks abounded.  If not for the flu, I assume it would have made some serious headlines, but with the flu issues it seems to have barely been a blip.

ETA... oh, and the flu overshadowed the news of the shrinking economy earlier in the week...

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

How about the appointment of the new HHS Director, which was strongly opposed by the Republicans?

And Timothy Geithner's conflicts of interest??

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn

Ed: Deleted for content.

SPM's picture
SPM

Wow. Division in action.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

I haven't been following the stats closely, but isn't Ron Paul's bill to audit the Fed gaining momentum?  And generally speaking, aren't there lots of folks waking up to the economic shenanigans in Washington?  It seems to me, that one possible motive to magnify a viral threat would be to create an it's-for-your-own-good ruse to prohibit public assembly, as in tea parties and anti-fed rallies.  There's nothing like an epidemic of the dreaded creeping crud to get folks minds off of the cruddy creeps in Washington . . . . . Ben Franklin got it right . . . . . . if folks are more interested in avoiding risk [as in disease] than they are in preserving their freedom [as in assembly], then they don't deserve the freedom our ancestors fought so hard to gain.

becky's picture
becky

How about the thread Larry started regarding Senator Durbin's comments on how the bankers own Congress.  I don't know if the press would ever really cover this story, but especially not right now with the flu concerns keeping them busy.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/top-senate-democrat-bankers-own-us-c...

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
hucklejohn wrote:

...This is not good news.  ...

Wow! I suppose we should all just breed and spread the word of God until we overpopulate (oops... already did that) and destroy ourselves through war and famine?

Although hetero myself I fail to understand what could be so destructive about a homosexual lifestyle? I personally think that heterosexual lifestyles (ie breeding) is potentially more destructive at this point of population to be far more destructive. I would prefer to see couples (of any orientation providing they are responsible and loving) to exercise compassion by adopting from the boundless pool of less fortunate children and provide them with the love they need to be a productive part of society. As they say about abandoned pets... for each one adopted by a breeder another one dies in a shelter.

My advise to you is that if you don't like homosexuals, simply don't have sex with them.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Ruhh wrote:
hucklejohn wrote:

...This is not good news.  ...destructive lifestyle...

Wow! I suppose we should all just breed and spread the word of God until we overpopulate (oops... already did that) and destroy ourselves through war and famine?

Although hetero myself I fail to understand what could be so destructive about a homosexual lifestyle? I personally think that heterosexual lifestyles (ie breeding) is potentially more destructive at this point of population to be far more destructive. I would prefer to see couples (of any orientation providing they are responsible and loving) to exercise compassion by adopting from the boundless pool of less fortunate children and provide them with the love they need to be a productive part of society. As they say about abandoned pets... for each one adopted by a breeder another one dies in a shelter.

My advise to you is that if you don't like homosexuals, simply don't have sex with them.

Well said, Ruhh!

I would also add, hucklejohn, that posting on this site with divisive, inflaming comments is not considered good manners at all!

Remember that old saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Other things being overlooked as Flu Hype Rages:

Unemployment, unemployment, unemployment (did I mention unemployment?)

The reported war between Taliban and Pakistan which I have read is basically an attempt by the Taliban to get Pakistan's primitive nukes

Denise

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Thought of another possibility:

- Pretty sure this week will see the release of additional photos from Abu Ghraib/et alia.  They supposedly make the previously-released photos look like a church picnic.  I reckon there's plenty of people that'd just as soon see the media rumpus about them be as tiny as possible.  I'll just say "ugh" in advance.

Viva -- Sager

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

How about natural disasters & weather-related issues:

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Those cynical geeks on the interweb are onto the MSM's gambit:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=problem%20saturation&defi...

SPM's picture
SPM

Yea Plickety, USGS announced they expect the big one to go off on San Andreas within the next 30 years.

In reading their paper, I guess they were able to tell, that fairly regularly, the fault splits every 200 years. It has been 300 years now since the last "Big One" on San Andreas. Around 1700 A.D., or something like that, I can't remember off the top of my head. I wouldn't doubt it. As you so correctly pointed out the frequency and intensity of earthquakes is increasing here. In Southern California, within the last 10 months we have had two magnitude 5 or higher earthquakes. San Jose, and the most recent one a few days back. Can't remember where it was without looking it up. It only would take a magnitude 5 or 6 within close proximity of San Andreas to set it off. They were worried that the aftershocks from San Jose quake would set off the San Andreas, but it never did.

SPM's picture
SPM

I have a feeling when it goes, So Cal will be a very bad place to be. If its is big as they say it could be, all utilities will be wiped out, and depending on the severity, I don't see them coming back on quicky. Marshal Law will definately be implemented here if it happens.

For those interested in So Cal, here is a few articles. Who knows because they have been predicting this since I as far back as I can remember. I know the technology to study these things has improved over time.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Soc/soc.culture.china/2006-06/msg00815.html

http://www.earthmagazine.org/earth/article/174-7d8-b-c

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2008/04/brace_yourself_for_the_big_one.html

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

SPM - I'm just glad that my family lives in TX and not Santa Barbara anymore! Due to the high population density and percentage of food production in SoCal, any major earthquake has the potential to quite literally rock the nation. There's just no way FEMA could handle the crisis and all the fall out.

I think the MSM isn't mentioning the increase in frequency and magnitude of the Pacific Rim quakes (or volcanos, for that matter) because there really isn't anything we or the PTB can do about it. They happen anywhere and anywhen, and we certainly can't predict them well enough to evacuate ahead of time. You can't effectively use that kind of fear to control people as well as some other scare that something could be done about -- like a flu vaccine. When people think there may be a possible savior and solution, they're more likely to head in the direction you want them to; but you can't guage or control what people will do when you don't hold the key to their salvation.

The strongest North American earthquake, mag 9.2, hit Alaska in 1964 (it is the 3rd strongest earthquake ever recorded worldwide). The devastation that occured during the quake, subsequent aftershocks and tsunamis is astounding... just imagine what it would have been like if this occured in a big metropolitan city with lots of tall buildings and people.

The strongest recorded earthquake was 9.5 in Chile (1960). The second strongest was 9.3 in Sumatra (2004) which cause the Indian Ocean Tsunami.  To put that into comparison -- the Fort Tejon quake of 1857 (largest in CA) was 7.9, the Great San Francisco quake of 1906 was 7.8, and the Loma Prieta quake (a.k.a. Candlestick Park - 1989) was 7.1.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
The Next Big MSM Hype

Now that the Flu Hysteria is dying down (to be revived this coming Fall...), no doubt the MSM is casting about for the next story they can use to keep the general populace up at night (or popping Ambien like Good'n'Plentys), and I do believe I have a fine fine candidate for the role -- 

Nuclear Taliban.  

I'm sure if I googled for news stories about Taliban, Pakistan, nukes there will have been a modest ramp-up in the last week, and with Petraus making the statement he did yesterday (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/5257571/US-gener...), and yahoo! making it a homepage link today...well, it ain't trigonometry.

Viva (and sleep tight!) -- Sager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments