What Does It Mean When A Country "Goes Under"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The_Black_Death's picture
The_Black_Death
What Does It Mean When A Country "Goes Under"

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site, and enjoyed the Crash Course and all the information and discourse here, but one thing that I keep hearing about in the media that I'm having trouble understanding is what's happening in Iceland and is rumored to be happening in the United States and UK. 

I keep hearing people saying that Iceland has "gone under" and that the U.S., U.K. and Mexico aren't far behind. What does that mean? I mean in real terms? Does that mean that somebody is literally going to "take over" the country in a coup, and change our way of life, language, and change the flag and pledge of allegiance? Or does that just mean that there's no more money and that people are going to have to fend for themselves until we find a new government, and what does that mean for the people?

I know I should be scared, but I don't exactly know what of.

Alex Szczech's picture
Alex Szczech
Re: What Does It Mean When A Country "Goes Under"

In the short term I suspect that we'll see increasing nationalization of our affairs as institutions fail. We could end up with something like China or Russia with a strong central government calling the shots.

In the long term I see central government falling apart as resources become scarce and as climate change takes its toll. 

Ready's picture
Ready

Black death,

Cheery name BTW! Personally I believe that the Argentina collapse of 2001 is potentially the best indicator of how a modern nation of some size would react to an economic meltdown. There are hundreds of videos like this on the web, not just of Argentina either:

You can look at past "Banking Holidays" like in the US during the Great Depression, but so much is different now. I guess the biggest way it is different is twofold: First, this time the meltdown will be felt globally like never before, and Second, we are at peak everything. We don't have 70 years of increasing cheap energy and resources to make it easy to continue to grow. Population is too much for the earth to bear without huge amounts of cheap energy.

It is unclear exactly what or when things will happen, so you need to try your best to be prepared for anything. Spending time on these forums is a great start.

Best,

Roger

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Roger,

You beat me to it brother.

There is a gent in Argentina that has been keeping blogs and information flowing our direction for some years now. He posts on a variety of forums under the handle "FerFAL".

Here is his "Blog", where it looks like he does Q&A:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

And another, that looks to be more "editorial" - these are the articles I recall:
http://deconsumption.typepad.com/deconsumption/2006/04/stories_from_po.html

That second one should provide with days of reading material. His first hand accounts of a country "going under" are absolutely priceless, and are a case study into what to expect here...

However, it is worth noting that even though Argentina defaulted, America is more heavily leaveraged, and if we collapse it will be predictably more severe. Coupled with the "Entitlement" mindset, the lack of social and civic interaction and deep state of social neglect we're in, I think we can expect similar results, with isolated pockets of "a lot worse".

Cheers!

Aaron

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

I found the Argentina videos both scary and I also had a lot of respect for those citizens going up against men on horseback.

I don't know how U.S. citizens would react...

Thanks for the ferfal blog; I didn't know he was still posting.

SG

The_Black_Death's picture
The_Black_Death
R_Eddy wrote:

Black death,

Cheery name BTW! Personally I believe that the Argentina collapse of 2001 is potentially the best indicator of how a modern nation of some size would react to an economic meltdown. There are hundreds of videos like this on the web, not just of Argentina either:

You can look at past "Banking Holidays" like in the US during the Great Depression, but so much is different now. I guess the biggest way it is different is twofold: First, this time the meltdown will be felt globally like never before, and Second, we are at peak everything. We don't have 70 years of increasing cheap energy and resources to make it easy to continue to grow. Population is too much for the earth to bear without huge amounts of cheap energy.

It is unclear exactly what or when things will happen, so you need to try your best to be prepared for anything. Spending time on these forums is a great start.

Best,

Roger

LMAO!! 

I got the name from one of my favorite South Park episodes. 

But the video in itself is very sobering considering that things like the L.A. Riots and Katrina have both shaken the core of this country in the last 20 years. I thought that was as bad as I'd see in my lifetime.  Without a stable government, those events could end up looking like a peace rally!

Thanks for the vid.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments