What Do You Value About This Site?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
What Do You Value About This Site?

Alright folks, its time to take another community polling. But this time, its not about what is going on out there in the "real" world, its about introspection into our community here, at Dr. Martenson's site.

What is it that you value about this site?

What keeps you coming back here?

I'll begin by sharing my thoughts on these questions:

• The Crash Course: I have a tendency to overlook this in my day to day life here at CM.com, but Dr. M's Crash Course had a huge effect on me. I remember when I first learned of the Crash Course via a podcast that I was listening to while driving, I actually turned my truck around and went home to check it out. I recall watching about half of it that evening, but when I couldn't fall sleep that night, I ended up staying up all night taking screen captures of the chapters that I had already watched. The next day I blew off work (self-employed) and watched (and captured) the remaining 10 chapters. I immediately re-encoded the entire 20 chapters and combined them to make one video that I could watch on my TV. Needless to say I stayed up most of that night as well, watching the entire course from beginning to end for a second time.
  • The Community: This is the first online forum that I have ever deemed worth participating in. While it took me several months to actually post, I was very impressed by the diversity of the conversations that took place here. Nearly every topic that I had a natural interest in was being discussed, from macro-economics, to permaculture, to alternative energy, to baking bread "old school" style. To this day, nearly a year later, I can't tell you how much I value the regular contributions from the members of this community. Each member seems to have his/her own area of expertise(s), and this creates a valuable synergism for the community.
  • The In Session Thread: I truly value being able to ask questions to Dr. Martenson. As busy as he is, I really appreciate him taking the time to answer my questions. But the real value of this thread is to watch Dr. M respond to events and news in real time. I find great value in this unique service.

Looking forward to some input on this thread. Thanks.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
What I value about this site . . .
JAG wrote:

This is the first online forum that I have ever deemed worth participating in. . . Each member seems to have his/her own area of expertise(s), and this creates a valuable synergism for the community.

Ditto that . . . And though it has [insert appropriate descriptor] moments, all-in-all, it's a diverse, intelligent, eloquently-inclined population.  Even the folks who aren't my cup o' tea usually have something worthwhile to contribute.  Secondly, I've developed some relationships that are back-lines only that are a great source of strength and inspiration. 

The amount of information I've gathered on this site that is directly applicable to thriving in an uncertain future is inestimable . . . My ROI (return on investment) on the enrollment fee has got to be in four-figure-percentages, easily. 

JAG wrote:

The Crash Course: I have a tendency to overlook this in my day to day life here at CM.com . . . The In Session Thread: I truly value being able to ask questions to Dr. Martenson.

Because the CC is pretty well integrated into how I see the world and the future, I, too, tend to forget that this is the nexus around which we have gathered.  As for the In Session Thread, I'm mostly an enthusiastic spectator there, using the commentary to check my thinking on current news and events.  I don't usually watch economic news as closely as the denizens there, but every so often (today's posts particularly) there are some gems that are well worth the enrollment fee, on their own. 

strabes's picture
strabes
Re: What Do You Value About This Site?

For me it's simple:

1. Coming across good nuggets about how to prep for the coming collapse.

...but the most rewarding for me is...

2. Observing and participating in an e-version of what true US citizens used to participate in...townhall meetings, local community, self-governance, original thinking, profound debate, etc.  Seriously.  I've thirsted for that for years (and I still thirst for the in-person version of it).  This is a haven from the dominant culture of TV-bound, thoughtless subjects of the empire.  EVERYONE on this site is to be commended for that.  Disagreements happen...wonderful!  It means original thought and convictions are being shared...something that's completely absent "out there."

what's "in session threads?"  part of the paid service? 

SteveS's picture
SteveS

It makes me think and it's apolitical.

Ready's picture
Ready
strabes wrote:

Yup. Perhaps the best part of the site, along with the Martenson Reports.

If you don't subscribe and have the wherewithal to do so, you are doing yourself a dis-service.

Rog

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
Quote:

strabes wrote:

Yup. Perhaps the best part of the site, along with the Martenson Reports.

If you don't subscribe and have the wherewithal to do so, you are doing yourself a dis-service.

Rog

Strabes,

Based on your PM the other day, I know you're at least as cautious about financial-info subscriptions as I am.  I fully agree with Rog - if you're not subscribing, you're missing out big time.

Harvey's picture
Harvey

Well as for me ,although I'm some what new to the site and do not post allot , I find the daily digest to be better than my morning paper !

I enjoy reading posts and ideas from like minded people and I found out how much I missed the in session threads when I let my subscription lag . It is worth the price in my opinion and I have it set for auto renewal now.

Harvey

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Jag,

I concur with all your points.

As per Patrick and Rog, the subscription is very worth the fee.

And the data that is put up by posters alone is incredible. As C1oudfire mentioned...."they are gems"! Sorting through it all is a bit daunting but at least I know it is there!

I use this site as my source of daily news!  You can find apparently cheaper sources (such as MSM) but if it's truth your are paying for, the competition (newspapers, etc.) should be free .... that would be there actual net present worth!

Coop

hightor's picture
hightor

About a year ago, I began foraging around the internet for some kind of understanding of what was going on with this country's economy. I am 62 and had spent my life so far, baffled and alienated by money and the world of economics. But last summer, even I had to find out exactly what the hell was going on. It was my luck and good fortune after 3 or 4 hours to stumble upon the Crash Course, which I was then glued to for the next few hours and next day. It was and is truly an eye opener, and such a valuable lesson for me. 

Since becoming a member, checking in here has been at least a once-daily necessity. It is a vital news source, which then leads me to other sources every day, the info and opinions from members are always interesting, and of course, Chris' take on events is priceless.

If I've learned nothing else so far, I fully grasp the severity of the S---Storm that is upon us, and am so grateful for whatever help I find here in getting through it, and educating my own children about it. Lord knows the worst is yet to come.

How do we create a successful economy that doesn't have as its first rule that it should devour itself. The important idea of the Crash Course and this site is how to proceed to survive this crisis and emerge from it with a system that acknowledges the mistakes made before. That, more than anything, is why I stay glued to this station!

Bill MacGregor's picture
Bill MacGregor

The following should give you an answer to your well posed question, Jeff.

It is, to some extent or other, clear, concise, open, informative, challenging, correct, entertaining, sensible, wise, helpful, inspiring, instructive, satisfying, American, worldwide, welcoming and fun.

Cheers, me dears!

Bill

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

This site is well-worth the buck a day (give or take) that I spend on it.  I kind of look at this site as the university where I'm getting my BA in economics and finance and prep for the great unraveling.  12 months ago I was as clueless as any other average American.  At this point, apart from what I consider a good layman's understanding of how the economy works, at least I know how much I don't know.  And of course, understanding one's ignorance is the first step towards alleviating same.  

I knew I was making good progress when, during a conversation with a friend about What The Heck Is Going On with the economy, his eyes began to glaze over as I talked about fiat currency and the Fed and bond auctions and so forth.    And I was able to teach *him* something.  Yeehaw!

The CC is a fantastic resource, as are the Daily Digests (shout out to Davos!!) and the In Session threads.  And the community of posters here -- intelligent, curious, willing to share/teach/learn/give -- is a shining oasis in what can often be a vast gulag known as the 'Net.  Being able to discuss all the issues and so forth with smarties like alla youse helps keep me sane.  Because most folks out there in the world are deep in denial about where we are and where we're headed.

I feel lucky to be a part of it.

Viva -- Sager

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

At first it was the fellowship of finding people that understood the concepts .  ( yea , not the only crazy person out there!)  I wandered  around for years trying to find  such people . 

The crash course , and daily digests to explain the complexities, and facts  in terms we can understand and trust  !!!  Saves so much time having to dig up the  truthful news on our own ...  thus giving us more time to prepare .

Then the forums .... knowledge of those that share what they are already accomplishing  .Giving us ideas on what works and does not on  just about every topic you could think of .   Possibly saving us time and money from making mistakes  on our own .  

The kick in the pants we need to stay focused on preparations and the guidance not to  fall into the temptations to follow those in the world ... New house ,new car , new boat etc.

Lastly the confidence that we are on the right path  .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments