What do you think about Australia as an immigration destination?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
sensei's picture
sensei
What do you think about Australia as an immigration destination?

I have been thinking for a while that the US may not be the best place to be in the next 5-10 years.  Even though it has problems of it's own, Australia seems to have a little more fiscal/diplomatic sanity than the US.  Queensland is nice and warm with a good economic foundation (agriculture and mining). From what I understand there is also a shortage of dentists (my profession) who are willing to live in the rural areas.  That seems right up my alley. 

Just  wondering what you guys think about Australia for setting up a place to settle in for the long haul?

ao's picture
ao
Re: What do you think about Australia as an immigration ...
sensei wrote:

I have been thinking for a while that the US may not be the best place to be in the next 5-10 years.  Even though it has problems of it's own, Australia seems to have a little more fiscal/diplomatic sanity than the US.  Queensland is nice and warm with a good economic foundation (agriculture and mining). From what I understand there is also a shortage of dentists (my profession) who are willing to live in the rural areas.  That seems right up my alley. 

Just  wondering what you guys think about Australia for setting up a place to settle in for the long haul?

A nation of ex-cons (just have to tease the Ozzies), more poisonous land animals and marine creatures than any other place on earth, disappearing fresh water, rivers with crocodiles, oceans with great whites, no guns, and abundant natural resources that the Chinese will covet as a readily available nearby source when they start running low, etc..  What's not to like?

j/k

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

"A nation of ex-cons (just have to tease the Ozzies), more poisonous land animals and marine creatures than any other place on earth, disappearing fresh water, rivers with crocodiles, oceans with great whites, no guns, and abundant natural resources that the Chinese will covet as a readily available nearby source when they start running low, etc..  What's not to like?"

C'mon ao.....  all the great whites have eaten our crocs!

BTW, crocs only live in rivers maybe from 250 miles N of here.....  and we're 100 miles N of Brisbane...

No guns is a PLUS!

Australia is already overpopulated, and could be, for all intents and purposes, totally out of oil within two or three years.....  and we already pay $4.50/gallon for gas!  Water is only a problem if you use too much, we've just come out of a 6 month drought without buying any water (in fact still had 1/3 of our capacity, all rain water tanks) and our tanks are all full now after 10 days of rainy weather......

After advertising an empty block of land next door to us here http://damnthematrix.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/desperately-seeking-new-ne... it came out in conversation that our real estate is over priced (and who am I to argue!).  The housing bubble has not yet burst here.......  but give it time.

If it was me, I'd be heading for NZ.  Serious.

Mike

etsan's picture
etsan

i dont know much about australia, but if its worth anything, I have a brother in law who mentioned about going there for the same reasons that you have. He also doesn't see the US too well in the future.

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose

A couple of previous threads....

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/what-do-you-think-about-australia-im...

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/best-country-be-during-next-20-years...

Cheers Hamish ( in NZ...... )

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Dmitry Orlov likes to joke that predictions of doom are always too optimistic, but only by about 5 years! So, yes, it appears, given the impending effects of peak oil, combined with topsoil erosion, lack of potable water, gross biodiversity destruction and the macro clanger - climate change, that the European experiment in Australia is almost over.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Presently in Perth, AUS. My wifes family is from here. Nice place, great seafood.

The good: lots of mining taking place, with, bauxite, gold, copper, nickel being huge exports.

The bad: high inflation, strongly dependent on China and the west.

The ugly: severely overheated housing market. Home prices hit record high in dec 2009 of $475,000 median home price. Banks pushing out home loans at LTV's of 95, 100 and even 110%. Debt to Income ratios of 40% are standard with 50% being provided by shadier lenders. Hardcore MBS issuance with gov mandated superannuation funds providing the liquidity for future loans. Expect correction up to 30-40% in home values within the next 3 years.

Ive spent the last few days trying to convince my wifes loved ones to sell their investment homes NOW. Most of them are convinced that home values will continue to rise and that if they dont get in now it will be too late. Im hearing lots of bubble loaded arguments such as "mining is booming so prices will keep rising" and "population growth justifies these prices". Too bad that incomes to home value ratios are 7-1 in perth. Nasty crash coming soon.

npwebb's picture
npwebb

Does the Perth Mint have a retail store front?

"Good Mornign, I'd like to redeem my Perth Certificate."

"Sure thing, sir."

npwebb's picture
npwebb

Does the Perth Mint have a retail store front?

"Good Morning, I'd like to redeem my Perth Certificate."

"Sure thing, sir."

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Sensei

I thought about both NZ and Australia for a while too.  I am a physician and there are positions available.    If you are considering going there, I would go now so you have time to establish yourself  within your community and build up the trust and acceptance of others.  If you go there, you will always be a foreigner and in bad times you may find yourself without many friends.  Americans may even be demonized, especially as we continue on the warpath and the consequences of peak oil become more and more apparent.

I ultimately backed off on the idea because I received a tremendous amount of protest from my family and my wife's family.  I could not resist the pull from them.  I am established in my community and know lots of people.  Even if things end up being worse in the US as compared to Australia, I still may be better off staying put.

tough decision and probably no right or wrong answer.

Brian.   

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Just go where it rains +25 inches of rain a year.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments