What articles do you recommend for the unaware family and friends?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
sammy's picture
sammy
What articles do you recommend for the unaware family and friends?

I know, the crash course should be the first stop. I have yet to convince a single friend but have made my folks open up to the idea of a crisis. Everyone alive today has enjoyed exponential growth, cheap gas, cheap and plentiful food ect.. This makes it very difficult to convince others their might be problems in the future. Among family I also have several friends I care about deeply that are in a very good position to prepare but they are zombies so to speak. One of my very good friends is starting to listen to me but can't find the time to watch the crash course. Can you please help me and point the way to a good article that lays out our predicament and what could be the result of inaction. I will be the first to say I am not very well spoken so convincing others is not a strong suite of mine but I am asking you to help. Please. Sammy

goldrunner1's picture
goldrunner1
Re: What articles do you recommend for the unaware family ...

Try watching Mike Rupperts "Collapse". Below is the You-Tube Link to part 1. Parts 2 thru 8 are on the side bar.  I believe the DVD has been released and is available also for like 10 bucks or something.

Lots of good info. I think it is a thourough explanation of the "Peak Oil" theory/fact.

Davos's picture
Davos

There is the abbreviated Crash Course. Something doesn't sound right though. This is like telling someone they have cancer and they don't know it. No one is too busy for that. Denial, don't want to face reality, sure.

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Sammy

i am now convinced that there is no one thing that can change a person's mind about the existing financial crisis or peak oil.  it is truly a slow process of learning, processing and integrating information to change one's belief system.  I've found that younger people are much more open to listening about these concepts.  Probably most of us who frequent this website already had a preexisting doubt or skepticism about the current system we live in.  You can at least plant some seeds so that when the next crisis hit, it will get them thinking.   

Having said that, here is what i would recommend:  Mike Ruppert's "Collapse" (as goldinmind recommended), the movie "Crude Awakening" (available on netflix), and the videos put out by the National Inflation Assocation. http://inflation.us/    i'd go to videos and watch the hyperinflation nation videos part I-III  (although many would suggest we're going to have more deflation, the videos nicely display the economic mess we're in)

good luck.  I have to be honest though.  I've been prosyletizing for about two years now, and I don't think I have any converts... +- my wife... so don't beat yourself up.

Brian

Davos's picture
Davos

Oh, by the way: When the market or Uncle Buck go in the tank they'll be ALL ears.

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

Sammy

I think this might be a good article for them to read.

http://www.wealthmoney.org/articles/The-Root-Cause.html

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden

Sammy

I would suggest to them that they read the PeakProsperity.com Daily Digest for a week or two.  They don't even have to read the full articles. If they just read the summaries they will begin to see that things are not right all over the U.S. and all over the world.  Hopefully they will also notice that many of the links are to mainstream media outlets that are finally beginning to catch on.  This may cause them to be more curious about what else is going on and being said out there.

Dean

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn

Thanks, Thomas, for the link to http://www.wealthmoney.org/articles/The-Root-Cause.html

This is the best concise description of the corrupt system that I have seen. 

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68

The Al Bartlett Lecture on the implications of Exponential Growth has been very sucessful in opening the eyes of some of my friends.

http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_vid...

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Zapata's picture
Zapata

Hi,

First check out my Facebook Crash Course Challenge- it's an open event and anyone can invite anyone.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=121654591220253&ref=ts

Second, can I just say that I like Ruppert, the movie Collapse was what got me interested- but then I knew of him from back in the day, when CIA and cocaine was his thing. But I'm not sure he's the best introduction to the subject... he can be a bit over the top- it depends on the personality type of the person you're trying to convince, I guess. But you know that quote on this site that praises Martenson for not being "shrill"? I got the impression it was Ruppert he was being compared to.

But I love Jared Diamond- if you can manage to pay attention to what he's saying while trying to figure out what's going on with his hair:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jared_diamond_on_why_societies_collaps...

Davos's picture
Davos
jturbo68 wrote:

The Al Bartlett Lecture on the implications of Exponential Growth has been very sucessful in opening the eyes of some of my friends.

http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_vid...

+1

sammy's picture
sammy

Thanks everyone for the responses. It has been my mission to get the word out, to warn of impending danger without trying to sound like a mad man. When it all falls apart I want to say i did my best but I don't think it will help me sleep any better.

I sent my buddy this article from zero hedge: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-termite-riddled-house-treasury-bonds

It is the best thing I could find that explains the house of cards that is the treasury market.

How this started is we had an hour long conversation on the state of the economy, possible dollar collapse and the aftermath. Since then I sent him serveral articles but have got no response in the last week. This is not like him so I am taking the hint and am going to back off. Sammy

Davos's picture
Davos

Look at any natural disaster.

• There are those who live in areas where forest fires are common. Some have go-bags, important papers in a safe deposit box with their family negatives, rendezvous points, alternate temporary living arrangements
  • Then there are those who are prepared to stay behind and fight, they have a pool to dive into, and they stay and hose down their roof and their neighbors roof and are filmed in the aftermath with the only 2 standing homes
  • Then there are the weepers who run around like a headless chicken stuffing their cars with whatever fits and crying as the camera crew films them, and the fire which is about to engulf their home. Most of them have no idea where they will go.

Some people face reality before it happens. Some refuse to, they'd rather believe it'll never happen to them. This thing is not something that has happened for 80 some years. So if people live in a quake zone, a mud slide zone, a forest fire zone and see this stuff every 8 years and still don't prepare then how do we deal with something that happens every 80 years? It is what it is.

Jager06's picture
Jager06

Just use logic bro. Don't tell someone that the system is rigged, broken, ending or corrupt. Ask them if they have thought about what happens if we have another earthquake like 1916.

"Man, after I saw what happened in Katrina, I would hate to have that happen to anyone I know. I think it's a good idea to be self sufficient for emergencies. What would YOU do if the electricity and water ran out, and then you weren't allowed to leave cause the roads were ruined?"

Remember what I said about maslow's hierarchy of needs. Pump them into the top slot, recognize their "self actualization" needs, and supplant that with their potential logical self sustainment thought process after a hypothetical emergency. Basically appeal to logic while inflating their ego. Use simplified scenarios, not total collapse, or peak oil (the same thing in my mind).  Ask what they would do if the lights went out for a week due to a natural diaster....it is fire season here right now. By asking them the questions, you empower them to provide answers for themsleves, which will get them moving in the right direction. How far they move will be up to them, but keeping a good supply of factual info headed in their direction at the point of their engaging you, will go a long way to making them see things for what they are.

Another thing would be to invite an outside expert. Remember "The prophet is least welcome in his own village" also goes for his own circle of friends.

Best of luck. Call me if you need anything.

Jager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments