What Are Your Weekend Plans?

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
What Are Your Weekend Plans?

So what are your plans for the weekend?

Or, if you end up reading this on Monday, what did you do?

Doesn't matter what - might be interesting to see that we "doom-and-gloomers" watch movies or play softball just like everyone else. Extra credit for 3E/Crash Course/prep-related activity, of course.

Poet

Ready's picture
Ready
a few things

Convert waste vegatable oil into fuel for my trucks.

Continue to plant the garden now that the 2 feet of rain and tornadoes have passed by.

train my rottie puppy and full grown german shepard

Putting an add on craigslist for a free hot tub - you come get it

cook some steaks on the grill

watch gold break 1570

head to the range if there is time

Thats about it. You?

Poet's picture
Poet
Weekend Plans

Saturday
Weeding in our little garden. We have a small community garden plot - maybe 20 feet by 20 feet - with a couple of tomatoes, eggplants, some lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet peas. It's $50 for the year (we were on the waiting list for 4 years before we got the plot last month), and we've spent as much on tools, garden hose, seeds and seedlings. We're doing it mainly for the joy and the experience.

We also have two upside-down tomatoes and a few upside-down strawberries hanging from a beam on our patio. They're growing reasonably well and happy to be well-drained and weed free.

Sunday
Plans are to visit the local San Diego Wild Animal Park with wife and babies.

Poet

doorwarrior's picture
doorwarrior
lazy weekend

Long term store some food we just picked up.

Reload 100 .338 Lapua  bullets I just finished a powder ladder for.

Two hours of Kajukenbo training on Sat. and Sun.

Half a day at the range with my eight year old daughter. The other half packing for my wilderness EMT class in Moab next week.

Watch the movie Rio with the family.

Finish planting our corn. We already have everything else in the ground or started.

I think you will find that the prepper weekend is not anywhere near the same as the average american Wink or mabye I should useCry.

Rich

P.S. Hope that the price of silver will drop like a rock on Monday morning so I can load up some more!

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
this weekend...

We are:

1. Making our order list for the Mornon cannery (May 26, need a trailer hitch for the newish Subaru Forester which will be installed next Friday).

2. More work on a chainlink fence. We will connect the sides in the back and roll it toward the street. We need the trailer hitch to pull and tighten the fence. 

3. Weed and water the garden. Plant another few boxes (peanuts, sunflowers, more hot peppers, and more beets). Harvest some lettuce and peas.

4. Order the propane generator we picked out tonight.

5. Take another bid on the pump house for the well.

6. Mow the lawn after potting some naturalized flowers, whcih we will use for community building.

7. Play "Angry Birds" - a lot!

New_Day's picture
New_Day
this weekend

Being thankful that I got turned onto CM.com, ZeroHedge.com and GeraldCelente.com

Being thankful that my son and daughter both dig the idea of prepping.

Being thankful that my wife is slowly starting to understand the concept of prepping, even though she is 

super-distrustful of any advice on the Internet. :o)   

Being thankful that I read the following WSJ article about PSVL and sold my position for a lovely profit.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704889404576277294113826806.html

Being thankful that I finally understanding that storing PMs in a tube in ground is better than storing PMs in a safe deposit box. 

Spending some time reviewing CM Forums and being thankful for the CM community.

Having gratitude for the amazing-ness of Springtime.

NZSailor's picture
NZSailor
This weekend....

Today we just finished hosting a meeting of the local Alternative Energy Association.

Twenty five people turned up and I introduced CM and the crash course followed by a discussion our new solar photovoltaic system, solar hot water system and my electric car conversion (in process).  Another EV car conversion showed up- a Toyota Celica with an AC drive and lithium phosphate batteries.... he had driven 70 miles to the meeting and didn't bother plugging in as he had enough power left to get back home.  Wow!

This is the first of a rotating series of meetings at people's homes to build community and see what others are doing.  Thank you Sager for the "building community forum" to remind me to get this aspect of prepping under way.  It was an interesting group with a lot of skillsets so good to make some connections.

Back to work tommorrow... Monday New Zealand time.

Chip

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Poet wrote:So what are your
Poet wrote:

So what are your plans for the weekend?

Or, if you end up reading this on Monday, what did you do?

Doesn't matter what - might be interesting to see that we "doom-and-gloomers" watch movies or play softball just like everyone else. Extra credit for 3E/Crash Course/prep-related activity, of course.

Poet

I wouldn't call myself a 'doom-and-gloomer'. Was there such a widespread colloquial word 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago. No, I would much prefer being called a realist. But I can suspend my realistic view on the world when I'm with loved ones. We plan on visiting Lego Land next month in California and catching a few rads.

Doug's picture
Doug
busy

Fri -  Baseball game (are boys won against perennial arch rival, yayLaughing), prepper group mtg including visit by coin collector/dealer, two members bought their first silver, submitted cannery orders, figured out how to work jar vacuum sealer, picked up 25# honey.

Sat - Fine tuned portable chicken coop (more work needed), continued cleaning up gardens, yard, got compost bin cooking.

Sun - Little more yard work, cut some wood for 2012-13 winter, roll yard (really needs it), take snowblower off and put mower deck on tractor.

Doug

FAlley's picture
FAlley
Went to a gunshow in Tusa,

Went to a gunshow in Tusa, OK.

Bought a .22 LR revolver and Taurus PT92 9mm pistol.

Continue to watch silver price, wonder when/if to buy/sell.

Getting ready to work a cattle farm over the summer, and take some summer college courses to get 'em outta the way.

Take care.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Poet, great topic.  It's

Poet, great topic.  It's inspiring to read what others have written.

As for me, we finally got a real nice spring weekend in the NE, so:

- Cleaned out garden in preparation for tilling and planting (Safewrite, your longer growing season really strikes a contrast to where we are at here!  It makes me question, once again, the wisdom of living where the winters are so long, even if it is "home");

- Played "catch" with my son (we're trying to get him over his fear of catching pop-flies);

- Sent our son off turkey hunting (1st time ever) with a close friend of my husband's at way-too-early-in-the-morning-on-a-weekend this AM.  Our friend taught him how to make turkey calls on a slate turkey-caller (amazing how well they work!), and taught him 1st lessons on the art of hunting turkeys ("turkeys have great eye-sight, so you have to move veeeery slowly", etc.)  This is one area where I see welcomed evidence that my husband may -deep down- be hearing and coming around to what I've been talking about for the last 3 years, as it concerns the future well-being of our son.

- Contemplated the unexpected death of one of our neighbors this last week.  Once again we re-lived the lesson: you never know when your time is going to be up; cherish life now;

- Trying to wrap up decision on whether to get a new/used car that gets high mpg or not.  Need to clear that off my mental plate (no, not metal plate), as well as do it while it can be done (low rates, availability, etc.), so I can focus on other, higher priority preps.  -The hybrid car  thread was perfectly timed for me!  And VF's comment on another thread re "an electic car being the least of his worries vs being warm and fed in the future" (paraphrased!!) reflects some of my own uncertainty of the wisdom to even go down that path given higher priorities;

- Catch up on CM.com and some others so I don't feel so damned isolated in my beliefs!Wink 

PS I harvested my first batch of spring asparagus ever from my garden...you have to wait 3 years until it is ready to start harvesting annually.  What a great feeling!!

Nate's picture
Nate
Saturday -weed and water the

Saturday

-weed and water the garden (2500 square feet)

-turn compost

-thin the peaches

-listen to Jim Puplava

-jog 3 miles (I really stink at this-so out of shape, but I try)

-church (spoke with a guy that had prostate cancer-took my mind off of the 3 E's for awhile)

Sunday

-irrigated (flood irrigate 10 acres - about 6 hours)

-start Mauldin's new book - got it for my birthday

-red wine and BBQ pork ribs tonight (their great!)

Nate

Wendy S. Delmater
last weekend

Hey Pinecar,

The asparagus sounds wonderful. I ought to plant some of that!

We planted turnips, sunflowers, more cukes, spinach, okra and peanuts. Watering the garden now takes 30 minutes, except for the times we leave a hose on things to soak. We put shade over some fragile plants for the hot weather. It's the same frame we used to make cold frames with clear plastic: that's a "dome tent frame" made of two eight-ft lengths of 1/2-inch PVC pipe crossed and ends jammed into the inside corners of the 4-ft x 4-ft square foot garden box. A piece of an old sheet was attached with clothespins. If insects or critters become a problem we can cover the frames with netting or chicken wire.

Sprayed everything with BT, too. Recommend you use safety glasses and a dust mask with that stuff! It may not be able to hurt you, but it sure can burn and sting a bit.

Fence is now prepped on the north side and up on the south side. We have to pull it tight - getting a trailer hitch for that among other reasons.

Chose a propane emergecy generator. Have to order it.

Researched a chest freezer that can also be used as a bench seat. May have to put a shout-out on CM to find one, as we have space issues and a chest freezer can only go in the dining room.

Got one estimate on the pump house: two more to go.

Thanks to a tip from a fellow CM member we looked online at cold-weather citrus at McKenzie Farms. (I will cross-post the link to the gardening thread.) Some of this citrus is hardy as far north as New England! We chose the Thomasville Citrangequat and the Browns Select Satsuma and possibly the Bloomsweet Grapefruit - great stuff. The farm is seven miles from my husband's family homestead so we will buy them in person the next time we visit there. (Figs seem to need citrus & cinnamon when you can them. They are really bland otherwise.)

I shelled half a 25-lb bag of raw peanuts. Then I roasted & salted them, and packed them in eight half-quart jars. It took hours, my arms hurt, and I am tempted to just roast the rest in the shells. We also harvested our first peas and another cos (romaine) salad., I highly recommend Jehicho cos lettuce  for gardeners in the Carolinas - drought and bolt resistanf, prolific, and very tasty.

Fig and peach cobbler inthe oven! I've been using up last year's canned peaches and figs in anticipation of this year's crop. The tomatoes are gone. Need to can more this year!

And we got three stars on EVERY BOARD on Angry Birds!!! How cool is that???

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Not much out of the ordinary

Saturday -

Transplanted our Beaver Dam pepper seedlings to the SFG.  Finished hardening the Trinidad Scorpion Tail peppers and staged them for transplanting into the raised beds this weekend.  Weeded and thinned the gardens.  Picked a giant bunch of buttercrunch, red sails, pak choy, raap broccoli and sweet lettuce for dinner.  Went preemptive on the cabbage loopers and sprayed the brussells sprouts and lettuce with BT.  Gave our 12 year old Golden Retriever a summer haircut - called a false drape - by shaving her tummy.  It was not unlike shearing a sheep except it took almost 90 minutes - sheep are much more cooperative.  Went to Mass in shorts since the Contemporary choir has the next two weeks off.  Noodled on the guitar for an hour working on "Whiskey Before Breakfast" - almost have the walkup from the Em to A and D to A dialed in at speed, I'm stuck on 80 bpm and need to kick it up closer to 120 bpm.

Sunday -

Planted the dwarf nectarine, apricot and bing cherry trees.  Cat and I started out headed for the antique store, ended up detouring to the nursery were we found a semi-dwarf, self-pollinating peach tree.  That goes in the ground this comming weekend.  Will have to move the plum tree to an up-sun spot.  Finally got to the antique store, were looking for junk silver, found nothing but foofy sterling thing-a-ma-bobs.  Came home with a bakers rack that is now outside in the garden terraced with potted peppers, bush (determinate) tomatoes and some other stuff.  Polished off the appropriate number of bottles of Sam Adams Noble Pils during an impromptu "Two Beers With Steve" Sunday night session until we were cut short by the announcement of OBL's demise.

Pretty much the same plan this weekend except there's a trip to the coin store for more gold and silver, a handful of authentic Philly cheesesteaks (on Amoroso rolls of course) and a shift from Sam Adams to Sierra Nevada Summerfest. 

And whatever else Cat tells me to do.

maceves's picture
maceves
new dehydrator

Well I got a  new Excalibur and kept it busy all weekend.  Very into that.  I was very impressed with the green beans---I stood over the pot and watched them plump back up when I put them together with the pasta for a caserole dish.  I also dehydrated down two big bags of frozen hash browns--they made two quart jars of much smaller dehydrated potato slivers.  And also i got a gallon of strawberries at a roadside stand and they all went into the dehydrator too.

I also received the sample order I had made from Harmony House and have been  working on how to use the dehydrated stuff in my everyday cooking.  I  got their vegetable soup mix too and was pleasantly surprised with that.

Outside,  I added more soil around the potatoes and tomatoes and planted out some nasturtiums and marigolds under the tomatoes.  I didn't see any bugs on my pepper plants, but there have been some there and i need to deter them.  I've found that the squash with aluminum foil collars are doing the best now.  My sweet potatoes are ready to plant, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  Last year I found that they looked really pretty potted with vincas, so i plan to do that again this year.

On a different front, I also have a daughter getting married, so there was some shopping and running around with that.

We have this strangest, irritating noise outside because of some cicadas, 13 year locusts i think. Everywhere you go it sounds like a sqeaky motor.   At least they aren't right up against the house.

Poet's picture
Poet
I Love This Thread!

I love this thread because it's so great to see what everyone's doing.

So Saturday instead of going to our little community garden plot, we went to a local park to have some lunch. We walked around and also looked a the little zoo they had. I had fun petting the goats and feeding them pellets. I consider that "training" in goat-handling. :P

Sunday, instead of going to the San Diego Zoo, we took our baby boys for their first ever dip in a pool (and a very brief) dip in a hot tub. Passing skills on to the next generation? :)

Poet

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
Wow, interesting thread and

Wow, interesting thread and nice change of pace.  I'll give it a go:

Fri:  Sold 3/4 silver holdings (ok, I don't know if that counts as the weekend).  Got delivery of 2 kilos of red worms.

Sat:  Tried to make it to farm, but couldn't due to protests blocking roads. Returned home to care for sick dog.  Went to friends' house for dinner and drinks.

Sunday:  Did make it to farm.  Added Eisenia fetida (red worms) to aquaponics grow beds.  Did a little system maintenance, planted lettuce and more tomatos.  Returned home, went grocery shopping with girlfriend, and returned home to care for dog, cook and eat.  Also set up red-worm composting bins at home and at farm, following general instructions at this very helpful site.

Monday:  My sweet sweet dog of just under 2 years died.  Went to farm to burry her.  Tick desease sucks.  Sad but life goes on.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Oh, Farmer Brown, I am so

Oh, Farmer Brown, I am so sorry about yout dog!  Dogs have always been a part of our family, and it is always heartbreaking to lose one.  My heart goes out to you!

maceves's picture
maceves
worms

Farmer Brown, 

My kids say my worm farm is the strangest of my new hobbies.  I have the "can of worms" and even so I killed them all the first time around and had to start over with new ones,.....I think I gave them half a watermellon---might have drowned them, I don't know,   I was also given to stir them with a long handled pasta spoon....

Now I treat the little fellows with more respect.  I try to keep the moisture level even and even run the scraps throught the blender sometimes,  I use gloves and handle them carefully.  Now I have all kinds of big ones and lots of little baby worms.  

The castings are absolutely fabulous for your plants.  The tea is great for baby seedlings.  

You can get very philosophical when working with worms.  Its very humbling, awe inspiring actually, to meditate on how our world fits together.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Just another day (or two) in paradise.....

Saturday

Youngest son slept in past his normal 5:30 wake-up, till 7:00, which meant Mom and Dad could too! Breakfast and a slow cuppa Joe delayed my chorin' till past 9:30. Critters must have thought it was Sunday. After chores I found a local window and door installer who was selling salvaged windows. Scored a vinyl 3-1/2' x 9' double casement/picture window and two smaller windows, all in mint condition, for $125 to use in converting a horse stall into a tack room/milking parlor. I love Craig's list. By 12:30 we were at the Little League field for my two older sons' (six and four years old) game, the duration of which I spent tryin' to keep my three year old out of the adjacent dry creek bed that his Momma thinks is rattlesnake heaven. In the afternoon my buddy's wife dropped by to pick up some goat milk and ended up staying for a BBQ. He's a fireman who was four days into a five day+ shift and she, with four kids, was in desparate need of some adult conversation. Two bottles of Two-Buck Chuck and a couple of skinned knees later and the day was over. Never did get to work on my tack room.

Sunday

Mass at 9:00 then onto chores. After some irrigation system maintenance and some gardening, went on to do some prep work for the Solar Hot Water crew that was coming in to do an install on Monday morning. An early BBQ dinner dashed any hopes of working on my tack room. Que lastima!  Evening couch time was intermittantly broken up by watching the boys play Angry Birds (what a crack-up!) and watching PM's take a dive. Nothin' but ZZZZZZZZZ's after that.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
worms

maceves,

I'm following the recommendations at RWC to the letter, but I'm sure I'm capable of accidental wormicide.  I put together three separate bin-style systems, plus one barrel system (that one was not "to the letter"!).  Chopping things up seems to be pretty important, as is keeping good and ample bedding material.

Nate's picture
Nate
Farmer Brown wrote: Fri:
Farmer Brown wrote:

Fri:  Sold 3/4 silver holdings (ok, I don't know if that counts as the weekend).  

Congratulations on selling 3/4 of your silver!  Let us know when you buy back what you sold.

Nate

Wendy S. Delmater
use the time well

Hi everyone,

This is just a quick reminder: What are you doing this weekend toward your preps? Friday through Saturday, what are you knocking off your list? No item is too small, and don't forget to do something fun as it is a quailty of life issue.

Last weekend I stocked us up on cooking oil, socks, and underwear--yes I have turned into the kind of mom and grandmother who will give socks and underwear for Christmas--and I set aside a few small things like peanut brittle to brighten Thanksgiving and Christmas. The weekend before that we shelled 20 pounds of fresh peanuts, roasted and canned them. That was a lot of work but worth it!  Shelling takes hours, so we watched a movie, and once they were shelled we put them on cookie sheets, brushed on a little vegetable oil, and sprinkled on a little salt. Bake in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes. Canning is easy, too:  you just put the still-hot roasted peanuts in jars and they make a good seal when they cool. No special equiment needed! 25 pounds of raw nuts made 16 half-quart canning jars of shelled peanuts (each would have cost $3 in the supermarket - do the math) and three gallon-sized bags of roasted whole peanuts. This is a very inexpensive way to preserve nutrients for you preppers on a shoestring. Look for bags of fresh peanuts at your local flea market or farmers market, or on a roadside stand. We got ours at a farm stand for $15 (thought they were local - ironically, ours were grown in Arizona.)

On this Friday evening, we plan on harvesting some produce --peas, mixed salad greens including beet tops from thinning--to take with us to the family homestead, my husband's maternal grandparents' farm. While there we will do some targe practice at the family range (not with my antique pistol, though - it is at the gunsmith's since modern bullet shells get hung up in the ejector). On Saturday we will drive seven miles from the homestead to nearby  McKenzie Farms and buy some cold-weather hardy citrus trees.

Sunday after church we will work on the garden. Early peas are done and we will add green beans instead, and plant the new citrus trees. We hope to start cleaning out the detached shed and restack the firewood. If things go really well we might add top rails to the new chainlink fence, and install the gate.

How about you folks?

Katebois's picture
Katebois
Weekend plans

I am new to this site. A bit overwhelmed by the to dos and the lack of receptiveness to CM's message among supposedly intelligent folks around me. My significant other is not convinced but is going along with the food and some energy efficiencies. We have had a large garden for years - corn, several kinds of peas and beans,okra, peppers, tomatoes,and cucumbers. All these grow wonderfully in No Louisiana as long as it rains (this spring has been very dry so it is good to have a water well besides city water). Last weekend we worked in the garden and after trying to store the extra canned and dried food I bought decided we needed to buy a storage building since we have used up all the in house space. A son-in-law brought a solar battery charger that was discarded from his job site and happily we found it to be in a-1 condition. Now we are looking into maybe building a solar panel for our water well to run on as they are pretty expensive to purchase new - not sure how to proceed. There are some DIY books out there; but not sure which to buy. I just can 't quite get my head around how our country got into this precarious situation. Here we were thinking about retiring in a couple of years and I happened on Chris's book and my focus changed abruptly (after some serious additional reading for corroboration). I am not any sort of stock or economic insider; but once my eyes were opened I decided there was too much at stake not to do something. I need company on this journey so I appreciate your comments.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Katebois wrote: I am new to
Katebois wrote:

I am new to this site. A bit overwhelmed by the to dos and the lack of receptiveness to CM's message among supposedly intelligent folks around me. My significant other is not convinced but is going along with the food and some energy efficiencies. We have had a large garden for years - corn, several kinds of peas and beans,okra, peppers, tomatoes,and cucumbers. All these grow wonderfully in No Louisiana as long as it rains (this spring has been very dry so it is good to have a water well besides city water). Last weekend we worked in the garden and after trying to store the extra canned and dried food I bought decided we needed to buy a storage building since we have used up all the in house space. A son-in-law brought a solar battery charger that was discarded from his job site and happily we found it to be in a-1 condition. Now we are looking into maybe building a solar panel for our water well to run on as they are pretty expensive to purchase new - not sure how to proceed. There are some DIY books out there; but not sure which to buy. I just can 't quite get my head around how our country got into this precarious situation. Here we were thinking about retiring in a couple of years and I happened on Chris's book and my focus changed abruptly (after some serious additional reading for corroboration). I am not any sort of stock or economic insider; but once my eyes were opened I decided there was too much at stake not to do something. I need company on this journey so I appreciate your comments.

Welcome Kate -

There is a lot of great stuff here on CM.com and a lot of really knowledgeable people to turn to for help with any questions you might have.

The "What Should I Do?" section is worth its weight in gold (or silver).  Here's another place to start poking around:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/consolidated-list-links-existing-preparation-threads/27912

Have fun!! 

As the late, great 20th century San Francisco prophet Jerry Garcia once said "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Poet's picture
Poet
Katebois
Katebois wrote:

Here we were thinking about retiring in a couple of years and I happened on Chris's book and my focus changed abruptly (after some serious additional reading for corroboration). I am not any sort of stock or economic insider; but once my eyes were opened I decided there was too much at stake not to do something. I need company on this journey so I appreciate your comments.

Katebois

Hi and welcome! Would love to know your story of how you came across this site, or how you came across this book if that was how you first got introduced.

Poet

Wendy S. Delmater
Hello and welcome

Hi Kate,

Welcome to CM. Trying to make yourself and your family resillient during the coming difficulties can be overwhelming at first, but there are only so many hours in a day and you'll just do the best you can. None of us is completely ready, but every little bit helps. Just keep chipping away at things and drop by here often. I find this community helps me keep my sanity and perspective; may it do the same for you.

Dogs-in-a-Plie is right - the "What Should I Do?" (WSID) series is a great place to start. And often your specific questions can be anwered by searching the site for previous forum topics. There were a couple of threads on solar energy, and there are huge threads on agriculture, permaculture, square-foot gardening and other farming tips. Everything from seed saving, root cellaring and canning is covered.

I'm close to retirement age myself (just turned 56) but there are older and younger folks here. This place has a reputation of being the most positve, results-oriented community of the "prepper" sites. We're not about doom and gloom here, but rather we are sharing solutions and working toward a better future despite peak oil and governments up to their eyeballs in debt.

As for "those who will not see" the coming crisis, as Simon and Garfunkle once said, "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." Your energy is best spent dealing with your own prepardness. I say this as someone who has a son his family that will not listen, plus all but two members of my husband's family are in deep denial. If others will not listen, there is not much you can do. Be a good example and they might come around like my other two sons did.

Glad to have  another friend, Katebois.

Safewrite

mackswife35's picture
mackswife35
Like Kate, I am also new

Well, I am not actually new to the site, as I watched the Crash Course over a year ago and I read the Daily Digest every morning. I informed my husband, didn't get him to watch the Crash Course, but each chapter we have discussed in depth. He is now on board with  prepping as much as we can. We have 6 children from ages 15 to 4, and they are also very involed as well. We try and make this part of our schooling on a daily basis. So hello to everyone and I plan to stick around for a long time.

This weekend we plan on picking up some meat from our local farmers market. We will also be adding our last garden bed for chard, beets,and radishes. Sunday we will be constructng a rain barrel and try and stock up on a few grocery store sales. Lately, stocking up on sales has been a task, as it seems no matter what time or day that I go, the items that I need that are on sale, are gone. I mean, shelves are empty in that particular spot, and I am always told by the person doing the stocking, that the item has sold out. 

Wendy S. Delmater
your weekend reminder

Better a year early than a minute late - what are we doing to prep this weekend?

Husband and son started decluttering the atached shed - feeing space needed to store gardenig supplies, etc. Many trips to the dump happned. We've weeded the garden, harvested more veggies (have not had to buy lettuce since April), did a pantry inventory, and stocked up on a few things.  We pickled some beets and eggs, and visited the huge flea market near us for veggies (half-sour garlic dills coming up!) and to scout it for post-crash business oppotunities.

Next up - saleable items from the shed go on eBay. We will can beets in the pressuer canner, using it for the first time.

Poet's picture
Poet
Lazying Around

On Friday, I watered the vegetable plants in our little community garden plot.

Saturday, I admired the second crop of 3 or 4 budding little strawberries growing from our hanging upside-down plants.

Today, I'm looking up plans for making a homemade solar oven and homemade haybox for my June project. Gonna get some cardboard and aluminum foil for both, maybe something insulating like styrofoam for the haybox. Then it'll be a matter of trying to boil water (or at least see how hot I can get it on a sunny day) and cooking a vegetable stew.

Poet

maceves's picture
maceves
peaches

I bought a big box of peaches at the market yesterday and will find something to do with them in the next few days.  i'll probably run the dehydrator tonight and then think about canning some.  I dehydrated some hash browns yesterday and got blueberries into the freezer.  Now the freezer is full.

We'll have some family time tomorrow.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments