What about War?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
ramsayprior's picture
ramsayprior
What about War?

Hi,

I am reasonably new to the crash course - have started going through it now for the second time.

Previously, my attitude had been that humanity was doomed. And that
this was probably no bad thing.I also felt it likely that we would take
most/all of the other creatures with us. That perhaps in a few million
years some new creature might emerge from a tidepool somewhere and the
circle would be unbroken - in that way.

I still feel this is the most likely outcome.

The forces unleashed on societies by shortages of staples will probably leads to wars over water, food and energy sources.

War, famine, barbarism - a probable return to the 14th century in
Europe, a worldwide version, but this time with all of the horrors of
the mass killing and world ending capability of the modern arsenal.

A few years ago Kim Jong-Il blackmailed the world, through Japan to alleviate the famine in North Korea, or else.

I think that he is a useful example. The maintenance of the status quo is a given for political leaders.

As a student of history, I cant find a happy ending to this in anything that has gone before.

After saying all of this, I find in the Crash Course, enough
encouragement to give it a shot. It may be that something can be saved
from the coming wreck. Lets see. You have to try, dont you?

Thanks for this course, I have a feeling it has already changed my life.

cheers

rp

barrt's picture
barrt
Re: What about War?
ramsayprior wrote:

After saying all of this, I find in the Crash Course, enough encouragement to give it a shot. It may be that something can be saved from the coming wreck. Lets see. You have to try, dont you?

Thanks for this course, I have a feeling it has already changed my life.

Hi rp

i sympathise with how you feel, i think a lot of us would. To help you put it into perspective and move forward let me suggest this to you;

You are perhaps (and hopefully) moving from the fear (or depression) stage to the acceptance stage which is a very positive move of course so hang onto that, here's Chris's adaption of the famous 5 stages of grief http://www.peakprosperity.com/page/six-stage-awareness

Another thing to remember is that as you are now aware and awake, you have a large advantage, you have a good chance of making the changes you need to make, you are lucky. Its the ones who wont change or belive that the staus quo will continue that are in trouble, your one of the lucky ones!

One truism i love is that problems are oppoortunities and we have enough problems to go around for sure! I think you will begin to realise changes you need to make, turn those problems into opportunities as you go and become happy and positive as you start to see you future looking bright again

I dont think things will be that bad, at least not everywhere. Sure theres going to be a huge downturn but thats what we need to move forward. In fact i think we would be doomed without a huge downturn, bring it on!

I wish you well amigo. Live long and prosper

barrt

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: What about War?

Unfortunately I think you are correct.

Chances are you would steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving child.  Most good parents would.  Extrapolate that to the international level.  All the behavioral predictive models get tossed out the window when a country's sovereignty is threatened.  Israel's invasion of Gaza is s pretty good example.  (I'm not here to take a side on that one or to try and define the level at which a country's sovereignty is truly threatened and warfare is justified).

It is likely that in your lifetime you will see international conflict over resources - and unfortunately, the bigger countries will feel the pinch first as they rely upon resources more so than they produce the resources they need.  These are also the countries with the most capability to project power and I think they will be quick to do so.  The fact that some of these countries have a nuclear arsenal and capable delivery systems is frightening.

So what will it take?  I think the world community will need to suffer some global cataclysmic event (nuclear exchange, LEE asteroid strike, world wide pandemic/epidemic) in order to come out the other side with any type of cooperative intent. And that completely discounts overcoming the huge cultural rifts that exist with the complete and total intolerance for those who aren't them (whoever 'them' is).

In a very detached sense, I am inclined to think that we get what we deserve.  I do disagree a small bit with the responder above -

"Another thing to remember is that as you are now aware and awake, you have a large advantage, you have a good chance of making the changes you need to make, you are lucky. Its the ones who wont change or belive that the staus quo will continue that are in trouble, your one of the lucky ones!"

The assumption that the changes you make in your life will insulate you from the inaction of others and their refusal to change is flawed.  Their action/inaction usually does have an impact on others.  Just look at the current credit and housing mess in the US.  The inaction of others is now likely having a direct impact on your life.

Perhaps not all is lost - Incorporating the lessons from The Crash Course is a great start....and with a little luck, we just might come out okay.  I think it is going to get much worse before it gets better but then again, that is why you work harden steel.

"Everyone knows something you do not.  Learn from them."      Sifu Bruce Lee

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments