water well question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
MarkM's picture
MarkM
water well question

There is an old water well on my property with an old rusted motor and pump sitting on top.

Is there anyone here that can give insight on removing the pump from the top of the casing if I can post some pictures? I would like to evaluate the well to see if  it can be placed back in use.

radishcake's picture
radishcake
Re: water well question
MarkM wrote:

There is an old water well on my property with an old rusted motor and pump sitting on top.

Is there anyone here that can give insight on removing the pump from the top of the casing if I can post some pictures? I would like to evaluate the well to see if  it can be placed back in use.

go ahead and post the pictures - lots of us know a little about wells - personally, I have a 35 foot shallow well under my back porch and a hand pump mounted to the deck - it once had a jet pump in the basement when I moved here 30 years ago, but I took it out because it ran dry trying to keep up - the hand pump still works great but it needs to be primed whenever you use it.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
MarkM wrote:

Your best bet is to have a professional look at it. It might cost a little (not to much, I would presume, for just a small amount of work and an evaluation) but would be worth IMHO to gain a good understanding of what you're dealing with. 'Cause once you got the motor off how would you know if the rest of the underground components aren't also rusted out and if there is signifcant water available?

Where are you located? I'm in southern California, and around here if a well is in disuse it's most likely because it's water production has dropped to a point lower than what it's worth to maintain. A parallel to EROEI of sorts.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
radishcake wrote:
MarkM wrote:

go ahead and post the pictures - lots of us know a little about wells - personally, I have a 35 foot shallow well under my back porch and a hand pump mounted to the deck - it once had a jet pump in the basement when I moved here 30 years ago, but I took it out because it ran dry trying to keep up - the hand pump still works great but it needs to be primed whenever you use it.

Holy Smokes! Thirty five feet! That is shallow! Around here one must count on drilling 500' to start, and then decide whether or not to gamble on going down farther from there. Many wells go down a thousand feet or more and still don't hit a good fracture that provides water. I guess that's what we get for living in a desert.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

This is in SE Oklahoma and I can't get anyone to come out. The good ones are all "too busy" and the ones that are available don't give me a good feeling on the phone. So, I am diving in on my own. I will try and post the pics. The well is at an old homesite that burned about 20 years ago. I would think that it was working at the time. The new homesite has a working well, it is that this site would serve my livestock purposes better as it is on higher ground and gravity will be working for me. The fallback plan is to use the existing well.

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68

I would expect that the well is shallow if the motor is on the surface, probably < 50 feet.

For deep wells, submersible pumps are used and there would not be much except a pipe and wire at the wellhead.

If you remove the equipment, just lower a rope and you can measure the water level and get some idea about what you are dealing with.

I have recently been turned on to The Simple Pump thru CM, which seems quite nice for hand or motor pumping.

John

MarkM's picture
MarkM
jturbo68 wrote:

I would expect that the well is shallow if the motor is on the surface, probably < 50 feet.

John

Good point, John.  It looks like the motor operates a plunger much as a hand pump might.  The bolts are rusted so that they have become one with the base of the pump as it sits on the cap. I guess I will cut them off with a torch and see what I have underneath.

doorwarrior's picture
doorwarrior

Try these guys. They have been helpful in the past

http://www.simplepump.com/

Rich

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

I'ld be more than happy to help, not comfortable with typed "dialogue". Am fluent in wells etc. esp as beeves are conserned and their water needs.

robie

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments