Water Shortage

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
kcol's picture
kcol
Water Shortage

Where can I find info on areas that have plentiful water.  Here in Colorado water will be an issue at some point.

thanks

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Re: Water Shortage

Well here in Southern California we have plenty of water - at least for the next 15 minutes.

After that well who knows We may have to learn how to drink salt water.

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

Uhm....

Just grab your nearest globe, and look at it......2/3rds water.

Stop falling for this lie that there is a ''water shortage''.  If there is every a water shortage it's because somebody is trying to artificially create one.

Davos's picture
Davos

Try: Grab your globe, and look at it.....6.5 billion people all concentrated, mostly where water isN'T. I don't think it is so much about how much but about where and what it is used for. Last I heard Arizona was willing to build a pipeline from the Mississippi or Canada into their state so they can water lawns in deserts. 

Makes sense to me.

horstfam's picture
horstfam

In my opinion, I think harvesting rain may be the most "secure" (why do we use that word any longer?) way to assure you have enough water. With this in mind, check annual rainfall maps for different areas of the country. If harvesting provides enough water for your needs, then you eliminate the necessity of wells, pumps, electricity, etc., etc. Harvesting does create its own unique set of issues, though; storage, for one. And you would certainly want to plan for the "100-year drought" that seems to show up every couple of years. There are a few excellent books on the topic. Start by checking with your local library.

Ready's picture
Ready
Thomas Hedin wrote:

Stop falling for this lie that there is a ''water shortage''.  If there is every a water shortage it's because somebody is trying to artificially create one.

OK, you have GOT to be kidding, right? It's hard to say from your post, that may have been tongue in cheek.

De-salinization is a highly energy hungry process, so I am sure the OP meant freshwater.

I guess the answer to the OP depends on if your scope is limited to the US, and if you believe Global Warming will melt the polar icecaps and the mountian ice. Best bets are where rain is virtually guaranteed (i.e. PNW) or where large bodies of freshwater exist (i.e. Great Lakes region).

And yes, water is already an issue in the SW US, and is only getting worse. You are wise to consider this in your planning.

earthwise's picture
earthwise

Find areas that have abundant rainfall. Free water that falls from the sky. That's pretty much the entire country except where you (Colorado) and I  (Southern California) live i.e. the whole Southwest.

We considered relocating at one point and looked for areas with abundant rain. The South was attractive with 48+/-  inches per year and a climate a little milder than than North. Tennessee was atop our list; in addition to rain, it's beautiful there and has no state income tax. Of course here in San Diego, it's a balmy 70 degrees today on Feb 1, where it's freezing almost everywhere else. Tradeoffs.

Luc's picture
Luc

Have you considered the province of Quebec with 3% of the earth potable water.

Prices are cheap.  Lots of farms for 4000 $ an acre ( produces 10 tonnes of grain per hectare,  2800 units of energy during the summer)

Not taxed when you sell the farm.  Among the best land in the world  (along the St-Laurent seaway), lots of hydro energy as well. 

No need for health care insurance.  The country (currency) is financially sound.  The banks did not need to be saved.

Quebec city is among the oldest city in north america and being in Quebec city is like being in Europe, which is usefull when the energy will become scarce. 

All this 5.5  hours driving north of New York

Luc

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Luc wrote:

Prices are cheap.  Lots of farms for 4000 $ an acre ( produces 10 tonnes of grain per hectare,  2800 units of energy during the summer)

Not taxed when you sell the farm.  Among the best land in the world  (along the St-Laurent seaway), lots of hydro energy as well. 

No need for health care insurance.  The country (currency) is financially sound.  The banks did not need to be saved.

Quebec city is among the oldest city in north america and being in Quebec city is like being in Europe, which is usefull when the energy will become scarce. 

Luc

Not far enough. 

Ready's picture
Ready

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Luc

Hi Luc.

Could the same be said for Ontario?

Thanks.

-Brandon

V's picture
V

If you want to know where the REALLY smart money  is turn on your tap.

Water is the most valuable commodity on the planet. This is why the largest corporations are buying up the water rights all over the world. Coke and Pepsi for example in Kerala India, Bechtel in Bolivia and it took rioting and a great deal of civil unrest to get rid of them.

The water supply of Pittsburg is privatized and Chicago is on the block I understand.

Not happy about corporations controlling your oil and gas? Think about your water.

Corporations currently supply a little over ten percent of the worlds water in twenty years-there is that number again- it will be 90%. Got guns? you are gonna need them.

Check out the book and vid " Blue Gold" Also the vid ' Flow " So for you traders out there who wish to profit off the corporatization of life on Earth invest in water corps.

I'll drink to that

V

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

I honestly would not want to be within a few hundred miles of NY or LA in a worst-case scenario. There, you're talking about millions of very hungry and thirsty folks that could potentially be in search of food and fresh water. 

Luc's picture
Luc

Helo Brandon,

I can not speek for Ontario with certainty; however, they certainly have a lot of the above. 

Maybe without the electrical power generation capability.

I think it may be a bit more expensive.

The agriculture may be a little better as the southern border is more to the south than Quebec's is. 

Have a good day

Luc

DaytonMegan's picture
DaytonMegan

I doubt Canadians will be happy to accept a economic (or water) migrants from the south any more than the US is ready to welcome a bunch of Mexican migrants.  How does an American go about getting the Canadian equivalent of a green card?  If you buy land in Canada are you guaranteed residency and work rights?

Just wondering how it would work.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
horstfam wrote:

In my opinion, I think harvesting rain may be the most "secure" (why do we use that word any longer?) way to assure you have enough water. With this in mind, check annual rainfall maps for different areas of the country. If harvesting provides enough water for your needs, then you eliminate the necessity of wells, pumps, electricity, etc., etc. Harvesting does create its own unique set of issues, though; storage, for one. And you would certainly want to plan for the "100-year drought" that seems to show up every couple of years.

Another piece of the water security puzzle is restoring lands where mismanagement of animals degraded/destroyed plant communities.  There effective rainfall does not correlate with rainfall because much water fails to penetrate, racing away instead.  Learn how such restoration is done.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments