Washington Covered in Inaugural Trash

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rritter2000's picture
rritter2000
Washington Covered in Inaugural Trash

I was deeply concerned about the amount of trash left behind by the inaugural crowd in Washington. The mall was absolutely littered with tons of trash and refuse. It’s my opinion that this total disregard by the visitors speaks volumes about the country’s citizenry. Just toss your trash on the ground; someone else will clean up the mess. I witnessed the same phenomena during the Katrina New Orleans debacle. On its surface, this observation might seem trivial in nature, but I find it disturbing and representative of a growing social decline in our country.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Re: Washington Covered in Inaugural Trash
rritter2000 wrote:

I was deeply concerned about the amount of trash left behind by the inaugural crowd in Washington. The mall was absolutely littered with tons of trash and refuse. It’s my opinion that this total disregard by the visitors speaks volumes about the country’s citizenry. Just toss your trash on the ground; someone else will clean up the mess. I witnessed the same phenomena during the Katrina New Orleans debacle. On its surface, this observation might seem trivial in nature, but I find it disturbing and representative of a growing social decline in our country.

I second your concern. As I've wandered through life (almost 65 years), I've often wondered about the thought processes that prompt people to litter no matter where they are (parks, national monuments, parades, etc.) I've always been quite dismayed by this thoughtlessness.

SteveS's picture
SteveS
Re: Washington Covered in Inaugural Trash

It happens on the Mall every 4th of July.

I asked my wife about it (she went with my daughter). She said there was a lot of trash, but there were not many trash cans/dumpsters and they were all overflowing. She thought a lot of the trash was being blown out of the dumpsters and from piles of newspaper that had been left around.

Given that, after hearing a speech that spoke of how we as a nation can work though our problems, wouldn't it have been nice if someone at the end said, " Hey, everyone, please pick up some trash around you and put in (or near) a trash can". When in a crowd people tend to give up personal responsibility - we need to be called on that.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments