The Warped American Dream

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph
The Warped American Dream

While I certainly don't discount the possibility of a massive, quick societal collapse, I am more of the mind that we'll go though a slow decline, with some economic and environmental crises along the way.

Could there be a silver lining? Maybe some tough times might actually mold us into better people.

I've observed, especially in the past 10-15 years, an increasing amount of American "entitlement." And I'm not talking about poor people on welfare. I'm talking about people who would rather flip houses than actually contribute something of value to earn their first million. People who want to gamble the stock market rather than creating and innovating. A shallow culture where we know more about the state of Brad Pitt's marriages than what's really going on with our government.

Seems to me that during the times of prosperity, far too many people who were short on ethics and not even that bright ended up making money because things were easy and they were in the right place at the right time and exploited the people around them.

In the "new" American Dream, it wasn't just a chicken in every pot or a modest home for a family. It was a McMansion, a pimped out car, and a reality show.

The self-help field got really out of control with stuff like The Secret, which basically tells you that if you think positively enough, not only can you be rich, but you can eat as many cheeseburgers as you want and NEVER gain weight. (Seriously, Rhonda Byrne said that.)

"If you dream it and believe it, you can have it." OK...look, not everyone is meant to be a superstar, and that's OK!!

But in the new American Dream, everyone is entitled, everyone deserves a million dollars, everyone should be famous and no-one gives a crap about anyone else but themselves.

It's no wonder we're in such a mess.

I know not all people are bad but it seems like those with few ethics or positive vision have been running the show for a while.

When things get tough, these people won't have it easy. Maybe that's a good thing.

They say challenges develop character. I for one would like to see a return to character and maybe we have an opportunity here to grow up and learn how to value the real things in life.

My 2 cents. Thanks for reading. :-)

livsez's picture
livsez
Re: The Warped American Dream

Great Post Soulsurfersteph!  I'm right there with you.  I think the majority of the people you speak of, or as CM calls them the "Pain Changers," will gradually adjust themselves to the new normal of less is more.  I'm already seeing it amongst many friends who have acquired a taste for 2 buck chuck wine from Trader Joe's.  ;)

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your two cents.

soulsurfersteph wrote:

When things get tough, these people won't have it easy. Maybe that's a good thing.

You have no idea how much my heart bleeds for these people.  They are going be in so much shock I don't know how they will cope.  I think about these people all the time.  If the SHTF I am going to be suffering just thinking about them.

I have to say again in this thread what has been said many times, but I feel very strongly:

We need an hour or 1.5 hour version of the CC ..... then Steph you and I and everyone here can get out there and show it and show it and show it.  Then, we have atleast done all we can.  I showed the 45 minute version here in NZ.  Being in NZ it didn't quite hit the nail on the head how I wanted it to for my audience - but it had the basic information. 

I know you are talking more about the basic philosophy of life of the masses.  But I am convinced that nothing is going to bring them back to down to earth than proving to them that their life cannot go on forever like this.

I read in another thread somewhere and it made an impression on me:  if you want people to change you have to give them the motivation to change but you also need to empower them that it is possible and they can do something.  So I think keeping a positive frame of mind and gently pushing people to take that first step.

I think in a lot of ways, life will eventually be better in the next 20 years.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Amanda V wrote:

I am convinced that nothing is going to bring them back to down to earth than proving to them that their life cannot go on forever like this.

I read in another thread somewhere and it made an impression on me:  if you want people to change you have to give them the motivation to change but you also need to empower them that it is possible and they can do something.  So I think keeping a positive frame of mind and gently pushing people to take that first step.

It may be better not to dwell on bad news, at least at first.  There is the option of attracting (pulling), so try showing people that better ways are feasible and possible.  It's empowering and is aligned with prepping you want to do anyway.

Poet's picture
Poet

Excellent post, Soulsurfersteph.

However, I want to say, please don't feel sorry for these people. I think that as things continue to decline and collapse, their sense of entitlement will only grow as they experience cognitive dissonance. They will want more and more from the rest of us. Their selfish actions will hasten the collapse, rather than be of help in engineering a soft landing. When they realize the truth, they will scramble to take from others as they've done all their lives - whether by political or personal force.

Feel for instead those of us without the financial or familial/friend resources to truly prepare as we wish we could. As the collapse occurs, we will still be scrambling to prepare, assuming we even have jobs or money or resources to continue to scramble to fund our preparations and defend against theft.

Poet

soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph
Poet wrote:

Feel for instead those of us without the financial or familial/friend resources to truly prepare as we wish we could. As the collapse occurs, we will still be scrambling to prepare, assuming we even have jobs or money or resources to continue to scramble to fund our preparations and defend against theft.

And that would be...me. To a certain extent, though I do have family that I can be with. But my preparation right now is to just get in top physical shape...and get in touch with my intuition and learn how to follow it effectively as I navigate lightly through the world.

I already know how to fly without a net. I don't need security like other people do. It's those people who need security who will be freaking out the most. So I guess I still feel sorry for them. :-)

deggleton's picture
deggleton
soulsurfersteph wrote:

While I certainly don't discount the possibility of a massive, quick societal collapse, I am more of the mind that we'll go though a slow decline, with some economic and environmental crises along the way.

Could there be a silver lining? Maybe some tough times might actually mold us into better people.

The slow decline began some time ago and we could debate that instant forever, I suspect.  Without a lot of thought, I'd nominate the late1950s, after the central decision to install consumerism was made and the project had commenced.  Regardless, quite a few people have been knocked around by economic and environmental crises, and know tough times well.

It seems most writers here, like you and me, have our appointments in the future.  Does that mean we're already better people?  Can we get even better via tough times?  I don't mean to suggest you have the answers.

Since people get picked off in order of X, Y and Z, which roughly add up to invisible-to-us, we, like the frog in the water that's getting hotter, won't know when our own crisis is imminent.  Especially where the exponential function is in play.

One way to go against the current is to bring the invisible into view and start building a new way with them.  Now that might actually mold us into better people!

David

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments