Warning from Muni land

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
rickets's picture
rickets
Warning from Muni land

Just wanted to give a heads up on some market moves not being covered in the media right now.  Municipal bonds are getting absolultely killed right now.  ETFs to look at include MUB and PCK to give you flavor if you like charts.

These moves are huge, and the amounts of money involved massive.  The supply coming to market in the short term is massive and we could see some funding issues finally hitting the states.

machinehead's picture
machinehead
Re: Warning from Muni land

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I just lost my appetite for lunch. MUB is exhibiting the highest volatility since Sep. 2008. This is one monster-ugly chart:

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=mub&sid=0&o_symb=mub&freq=1&time=9

Is this what they used to call 'informed selling'? Surprised

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin

Rickets, Machine, someone else, can you give us a thumbnail of the implications of this?

JAG's picture
JAG

I saw this chart in Hussman's latest commentary, The Cliff....California Dreaming...Ouch!

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Nobody knows for sure. But in Sep. 2008, munis took fright (along with everything else except Treasuries) because of credit fears connected to the Lehman crisis. Vulnerable markets such as commercial paper 'seized up,' and there was a worry that all markets would grind to a halt.

California claims its sale of $10 billion in revenue anticipation notes is going well. But the market acts like something has changed for the worse, quite suddenly. 

For the moment, it's 'sell now, find out the reason later.'

rickets's picture
rickets

The most common reason for the sell off being discussed on muni trading desks is political wrangling over Build America Bonds since the election.  Basicaly, the federal government has been subsidizing munis and that might be coming to an abrupt halt.  AKA - reality is setting in - - that without federal backstops interest rates should be WAY higher.

Looking foward - the cause effect chain here is simple:  austerity and or higher taxes at the state level = higher unemployment, slower velocity of money, contraction.

On a slightly different note - - - I have been thinking of the Feds recent QE2, and while I hate the whole idea behind it and dont support the fed, I must say if they foresaw (or had info about) Europe imploding this past week they just timed the printing (announcement anyway) at the best moment possible.....right before they knew the world would be piling out of the Euro into the Dollar. 

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Oh, and hey, don't forget about the AMBAC bankruptcy...to me that was the trigger for the muni sell-off.  

I guess the reasoning is that insured bonds are worth more than uninsured bonds.  Who could have predicted that?

Now that they are selling off like this, I suppose the "sell now, ask later" reason is as good as any...

Johnson's picture
Johnson

Some of our more sophisticated clients had been shorting many of the Closed-end  Muni funds because they saw a major discrepency in the actual price of thinly traded bonds compared to the index that many of these managers use to price their inventory.   Covered their shorts yesterday.  Interestingly, many CEF showed a market value at 8% or more discounted from NAV.  Our guess is that the tru pricing  probably should even this out.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments