Visualisation of a trillion dollars

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stephen Lark's picture
Stephen Lark
Visualisation of a trillion dollars

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
Re: Visualisation of a trillion dollars

nice link! and just keep in mind those are all fresh, crisp, neatly packaged bills, not the larger volume used ones...Now if only they could show us how many barges it would take to haul the $11.6 we've guaranteed...

Stephen Lark's picture
Stephen Lark

The MegaPenny Project

Stephen Lark's picture
Stephen Lark

One Trillion Dollars visualized

Caribou11's picture
Caribou11

This is exactly the kind of visualization people need. I read a lot about it ( downloaded from shared shares http://www.sharedshares.com ) You guys are really good at providing poignant infographics. Thanks!:-) The point is, who is receiving the money? Where did the last lot go? The only way out for the US is effectively to devalue the dollar by 30%. The problem being of course that the dollar will soon stop being the currency of choice for Global transactions. The market isn’t falling, it's just getting back to what its real value is.

Ozone's picture
Ozone

A trillion is a difficult number to imagine.  Here was my attempt.

Sitting here, I am 1 person. I like to think that I know myself.

At dinner on the weekend, my wife and our 2 kids had dinner with my parents, my brother, his wife and their 2 kids. That's 10 people, all of whom I know well.

There were 100 guys in my first year of high school, and whilst I did not know all of them, I did recognise them, and if given a list of faces and list of names, would have matched them up correctly.

The whole school had 1000 kids, thats 300 in primary school and 700 in secondary. I knew a lot of them, including the friends in my brothers' classes and the brothers of my friends, some of the seniors and the sports and academic heroes, but not everyone. I may have known a third of the school if I was lucky.

The city I live in has just iver 1,000,000 people. One million is everyone in this city, all their jobs, houses, the food they eat, the things they do. I know a lot of people in the city, but I can still wander downtown some nights and not recognise a single soul.

My wife is Chinese, and her country has a billion people living in it. Last October we travelled to Beijing with my parents to visit my wife's family and to show my folks around my wife's home town. There were people everywhere you looked. You had to try hard to get even a moment's privacy, just a few seconds without another person walking past, and don't even think about the trains during rush hour - even sardines have more space. We only stayed in one city and a billion, represents every single man woman and child in the whole of China.

Now try to think about the whole world. I have travelled to the USA, through Europe, the Middle East, India and all over South East Asia and have seen millions and millions of people and I probably have only shaken hands with a few thousand of them ... but that's nothing. In percentage terms I don't know anybody, and there is not even 10 Billion people that inhabit the entire planet.

Lets round up and say that there is 10 billion people in the world. There is actually around 6.8 billion now, but one estimate of the total capacity of life on this planet, for humans, is around 10 billion. So everyone, all of their worldy possions, their jobs, their houses, their cars, the cash in their wallet, all of their their facebook, youtube and twitter pages ... everyone that anyone knows and all of the things that make them who thay are - that's about 10 billion lives.

One trillion is the number of lives that inhabit 100 planets.

I have not visited 100 different countries yet, and even if I planned to visit 100 countires this year I'd only get about 2 days each, allowing for 1 days travel between them. Now consider visiting 100 planets. Thats all of the 100 countries I'd visit this year, I would have to plan again, every year for 100 years - more than my entire life from birth till I die - and thats not counting travel time.

Scientists have idetified remote planets, lots of them, but we don't even know if bacteria live there yet, let alone another 10 billion intelligent life forms on any one of them.

Not one other planet and we need 100 of them to get to a trillion.

pbp1955's picture
pbp1955
Trillion dollors visulisation error

Inches          
 £                                                                   1,000,000 4 1/3 foot        
 £                                                           1,000,000,000 4000 333.3333 Feet      
 £                                                   1,000,000,000,000 4000000 63.13131 Miles ie 4000000/63360 inches to a mile

OK I must be making a mistake but the measurements in the video seem wrong to me - a million is a 4inch stack so a billion in 1000 time greater ie 4000 inches divided by 12  which is 333.33 feet and  trillion is four million inches which is 63.13 miles - ignoring any compression due to the excessive weight of our neat stack.

Please tell me where I am going wrong  in my calculations. .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments