Visual change suggestion to Graphic used in Chapter 3

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
maveri's picture
maveri
Visual change suggestion to Graphic used in Chapter 3

Hi Chris,

Just a suggestion on a change to one of the presentations you use in your Crash Course (Chapter 3 - Exponential growth).

In the 'Population Growth Example' (time reference 4:04) your graph shows speeding up by using a down arrow.

I find this distracting as people normally associate growth with an upwards arrow/trend.

Perhaps you might want to consider reversing the table contents to list the growth occurring the other way so that the growth arrow and smaller numbers starts from the bottom and heads upwards - this way it doesn't cause a momentary distraction while people readjust to thinking about growth being listed downwards instead of upwards.

Yes - logically it doesn't matter but it is a momentary readjustment never-the-less and causes a break in a person's concentration (at least it did me).

My 2c worth...

:-)

maveri's picture
maveri
Re: Visual change suggestion to Graphic used in Chapter 3
maveri wrote:

Hi Chris,

Just a suggestion on a change to one of the presentations you use in your Crash Course (Chapter 3 - Exponential growth).

In the 'Population Growth Example' (time reference 4:04) your graph shows speeding up by using a down arrow. I find this distracting as people normally associate growth with an upwards arrow/trend.

Perhaps you might want to consider reversing the table contents to list the growth occurring the other way so that the growth arrow and smaller numbers starts from the bottom and heads upwards - this way it doesn't cause a momentary distraction while people readjust to thinking about growth being listed downwards instead of upwards.

Yes - logically it doesn't matter but it is a momentary readjustment never-the-less and causes a break in a person's concentration (at least it did me). My 2c worth... :-)

Trying the post again to correct the formatting

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Re: Visual change suggestion to Graphic used in Chapter 3

Good idea.

Thanks.

I've stored it in the 'improvements' file.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments