V For Vendetta

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
V For Vendetta

I have absolutely no idea how long this film will stay on You Tube before it is deleted by the powers that be, so I'd get and watch this quickly :-

V for Vendetta is a 2005 cult action-thriller film directed by James McTeigue and produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers, who also wrote the screenplay. The film is an adaptation of the graphic novel V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd. Set in London, United Kingdom in a near-future dystopian society, the film follows the mysterious V a freedom fighter seeking to effect sociopolitical change while simultaneously pursuing his own violent personal vendetta. The film stars Natalie Portman as Evey Hammond, Hugo Weaving as V, Stephen Rea as Inspector Finch and John Hurt as Chancellor Sutler.

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vendetta_(film)

For those without the ability to watch this film because of connectability issues :-

Plot

In the year 2038, Britain has become totalitarian and is ruled by the Far-Right Norsefire regime. The story follows Evey Hammond, a young woman who is rescued from state police by a masked vigilante known as "V". After rescuing her, they witness V's destruction of the Old Bailey. The regime explains the incident to the public as an emergency demolition, but this is shown to be a lie when V takes over the state-run British Television Network (BTN) the same day. He broadcasts a message urging the people of Britain to rise up against the oppressive government on the fifth of November; one year from that day, when V will destroy the Houses of Parliament. Evey helps V escape, but is put in danger. V saves Evey from being captured and interrogated by officials and does this by bringing her to his lair, where she is told that she must stay in hiding with him. Upon learning that V is killing government officials, she escapes to the home of one of her superiors at the BTN, television personality Gordon Deitrich. However, after he broadcasts a comedic show about the country's current regime, the state police raid Gordon's home, capturing Evey. She is incarcerated and tortured for days, which includes the length of her hair being shorn, leaving her with short hair. Finding solace only in notes left by another prisoner, Valerie, Evey is told that she will be executed unless she reveals V's whereabouts. Evey says she would rather die. She is then released. Evey discovers that her imprisonment was staged by V, to free her from fear of the fascist government-"Only when you accept death are you free", V tells her. Later that day Evey leaves V, promising to return before the fifth of November.

Inspector Finch, through his investigation of V's origins, learns how Norsefire came to power. Fourteen years previously, Britain had suffered from war and terrorism. The socially-conservative and openly fascist Norsefire party led a purge to restore order; enemies of the state (Muslims, Jews, blacks, homosexuals, communists) were kidnapped by the secret police during the night. The country was divided over the loss of freedom until a bioterrorist attack occurred, killing about 80,000 people. The fear generated by the attack allowed Norsefire to silence opposition and win the next election by a landslide. A cure for the virus was discovered soon afterwards by the Norsefire company, Viadoxin. With the silent consent of the people, Norsefire turned Britain totalitarian, with their leader Adam Sutler as High Chancellor. The virus had been engineered by Norsefire as a plot to gain power, through deadly experimentation on "social deviants" and political dissidents at Larkhill detention center. V had been one of the prisoners, but instead of being killed by the experiments, he had gained heightened mental and physical abilities. V eventually destroyed the center and escaped, vowing to take revenge on Norsefire's regime.

As the fifth of November nears, V's schemes cause chaos in Britain and the population grows more intolerant and subversive towards government authority. On the fourth of November, Evey again visits V, who shows her a train that he has filled with explosives in order to destroy Parliament through an explosion in the abandoned London Underground. He delegates the destruction of Parliament to Evey, believing that the ultimate decision should not come from him. Evey tries to convince V not to leave and kisses him. He tells her he can't stay and then leaves to meet Party leader Creedy; who, as part of an earlier agreement, has agreed to bring V the Chancellor in exchange for V's surrender. Creedy kills the Chancellor in front of V, but V does not surrender, instead killing Creedy and his men. V, mortally wounded in the fight, returns to Evey. He tells her that he had fallen in love with her, thanks her, and then dies. His body is placed upon the train with the explosives.

Evey is about to send the train down the track, when she is discovered by Inspector Finch. However, Finch, having learned much about the corruption of the Norsefire regime, allows Evey to proceed. Meanwhile, thousands of Londoners, all wearing Guy Fawkes masks, march on Parliament to watch the event. Among these Londoners, we see the faces of those who have died, including a little girl shot by the police for wearing the mask; Evey's parents; Valerie, the lesbian prisoner in the cell next to V's whose words had given him his drive; Ruth, Valerie's partner; and Gordon Dietrich. Because Creedy and the Chancellor are dead, the British Army stands down in the face of a civil rebellion. Parliament is destroyed by the explosion. On a nearby rooftop, Evey and Finch watch the scene together.

If anyone finding this thread can find a better version to link to than this, I would be very appreciative. As anyone writing at CM.com for any length of time will know, I'm based in Hungary, where the ability to buy a film such as this is a serious difficulty!!!

Enjoy!!!

Best,

Paul

becky's picture
becky
Re: V For Vendetta

Paul,

Are you able to use iTunes in Hungary?  It's available on their website for purchase or rental (no idea how the rental works -- I guess it just vanishes from your computer after so many days).  

Take care,

becky 

Crash's picture
Crash
Vanityfox451 wrote:

V for Vendetta

This film rocks. It might even make it into my top 5 movies of all time, right alongside 2001: A Space Oddesy, The Wicker Man (Origional) and The Matrix 

Cheers, Paul

Crash 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Crash wrote:

This film rocks. It might even make it into my top 5 movies of all time, right alongside 2001: A Space Oddesy, The Wicker Man (Origional) and The Matrix

Amazing...  my exact same faves too.....!

Mike

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Damnthematrix wrote:
Crash wrote:

Amazing...  my exact same faves too.....!

Mike

Mike,

Mine too!!!

What blew up my nose recently on this site was when I re-posted a new thread on the 5th of November with a fully working film link, and it was chucked straight down to the basement within an hour, as an undesireable and irrelevant thread to the Crash Course!!!

I mean, how relevant?????????

Not surprisingly, this 'Old Thread' has remained up as a ghost of the past, with you only getting a chance to review it because some spammer made a post, and used it for an advertisement here. That was given the spam treatment an hour ago, and subsequently removed ...

This is a link to the other 'New' thread

Paul

John99's picture
John99

Hi Paul,

I recently re-watched "V for Vendetta", as I try to remember, remember, every 5th of November and the gun power treason and plot. I would narrow my favourite movies down to two, being this one and the Matrix (having honourable mentioned above), yet no one has pointed out the similarities in the two. Besides a common theme in the story line, both were written by the Wachowski Brothers, and I believe Joel Silver was in on the production of both (IMBD.com lists Silver Productions as co-producer on the Matrix, http://www.imdb.com/company/co0019968/), and Hugo Weaving playing a central character in the two films.

I have thought long and hard about the analogy in the Matrix of the machines enslaving humans to produce electricity, essentially converting humans to batteries, and just how that rings true for our situation in today's society. I believe it is an exact match when we look at our monetary systems, which over the last few centuries  have been stolen by private bankers.

When money is created out of nothing and issued as debt, the bankers have captured our labour (often for life), and it has cost him nothing to turn us into a debt slave. Think on this, we walk into the bank for a mortgage, and the instant we sign our promise to pay (repay), the banker creates the money out of thin air and places some numbers in our account, and then we give the banker 30 years of our labour. Now that's a battery that really lasts!

Granted, we get a house to live in, but at what cost - many times the actual cost of construction of the house, and if we can't make the payments the banker gets the house - again because of something he created out of nothing. So the banker gets our labour or the house - a win, win for the banker, and as we give him our energy, our labour, I feel the battery analogy to be a good fit. A false money system is an enslavement system.

Back to "V", every 5th of November I watch the media closely to see if Guy Fox shall be reincarnated in some form or another, for I do believe the Brits are one of the most economically enslaved people on earth. It has been surprising to me that the date comes and goes with little fan-fare. Oh well, there's always hope for next year:-)

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

"What blew up my nose recently on this site was when I re-posted a new thread on the 5th of November with a fully working film link, and it was chucked straight down to the basement within an hour, as an undesireable and irrelevant thread to the Crash Course!!!"

Hi Paul, Thank you for the Thanksgiving good cheer, to you the same.

V would be undesireable here due to the violence used for his ends although anyone who has tried to remove a hog from his trough might think differently.

As far as fanfare on Nov 5th goes, since it's my birthday there usually is a little, ;-)

I've never seen "The Wicker Man" but added it to my Netflix Q, thanks for the rec.

For those who like V you might like Shenandoah, anti war anti govt interference, some wedding advice,

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments