Useful Economic Issues/Topics Web Sites?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nichoman's picture
Nichoman
Useful Economic Issues/Topics Web Sites?

Interested in other Web Sites useful in education, learning and understanding more the Economic challenging times were in.

Chris has several links which I agree are useful to monitor and promote better understanding.   There are many, many more...some I've already found quite helpful.

Here's one...

Big Picture Web Site...

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/

What other web sites not listed at Chris Martenson.com do others recommend and a quick reasoning why could be beneficial for many of us?

Thanks,

Nichoman    

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: Useful Economic Issues/Topics Web Sites?

Nichoman,

I have been keeping a list of web sites that have been recommended in various places. I have yet to check most of these out myself yet, but here's what's on my to-browse list at the moment:

DeepCapture.com

NakedCapitalism.com

PrudentBear.com

SeekingAlpha.com

TheSanityCheck.com

TheStreetIQ.com

InformedTrades.com

MarketSkeptics.com

Europac.net

Again, these are just URLs I've jotted down because they were recommended elsewhere. Not sure how useful they are.

Erik

p.s. I rely on Davos and the Daily Digest here as the best one-stop shopping place I know for the best-of-the-day.

WendyT's picture
WendyT

I've found the following to be excellent in explaining economics & finance in ways laypeople like me can understand.

I was really surprised to find 3 analysts I really like on MSN's Money Central. I've been reading them for a year and a half, and for the most part, they really get what's going on.

Jim Jubak (read by over a million people daily)

Jon Markman

and one of my favorite Contrarians: Bill Fleckenstein, who predicted this mess many years ago (saw it coming in the late 90's)

You can look up their articles by date under COMMENTARY INDEX on this page: (in the INVESTING, COMMENTARY section of the website)

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Commentary/ByDate/InvestingThisWeek...

I read a bunch of other money sites every day, some that Erik listed. Will post more later.

Wendy

WendyT's picture
WendyT

Roger Ehrenberg worked for 17 years in Mergers & Acquisitions, Derivatives & Trading, holding executive positions at Deutsche Bank and Citibank, among others. He went into business for himself in 2004.

He analyzes the markets, economy, bailouts, etc. I read him because of his experience and knowledge, and because he's a very good writer and thinker. I've learned a lot reading his work.

He has been a vehement critic of Paulson, the SEC, hedge funds, Citibank, Wall St., etc. He also takes the American public to task for its many years of profligacy. He's proposed a set of changes to the structure and regulation of Wall St. that would greatly increase transparency, accountability, etc. And he's written at some length about what Obama should do.  One of the reasons I respect him a lot is because he doesn't just critique; he also offers specific recommendations for change.  He's very concerned about the future for his kids and all of us.

He still believes that there's a place for derivatives in the market, as a mechanism for managing risk. And he believes in growth. I disagree on both counts. But I think he might be persuaded by Chris' argument that growth does not equal prosperity.

I highly recommend his site,

www.informationarbitrage.com

Wendy

WendyT's picture
WendyT

Martin Hutchinson was an international merchant banker for 25 years in London, New York and Zagreb, "where latterly he established the Croatian debt capital markets...Since 2000 he has been Business and Economics Editor at United Press International." He is a graduate of Harvard and Trinity College Cambridge. He has presented papers widely in Eastern Europe. He is English, and author of the book, "Great Conservatives."

His writing is sometimes rather long, dense and dry, but quite easy to understand (for a relative neophyte such as myself) and he provides a good deal of relevant historical context and current data supporting his arguments. He doesn't seem to be of the Austrian School of economic thought, (of which Mish [Mike Shedlock], Bill Bonner, Peter Schiff are outspoken proponents) which argues against government intervention, e.g. no fiscal stimulus, no monetary manipulations. But he is critical of both these, arguing that the U.S. gov's actions will ultimately make things considerably worse for us than better. He says that fiscal stimulus did not end the Great Depression but in fact deepened and extended it.

I read him because he has experience in the real world (isn't just an academic), is knowledgeable and seems fairly unbiased. Like so many others, I'm sure he can't imagine a world without economic growth, nor would he want to. But I learn more from reading him, so I do!

He believes there will be a rapid recovery in the first half of 2009, but that a second, deeper and longer leg of recession will be triggered by a bond market collapse, brought on by the unsustainability of Treasuries' low yields, and unwillingness or inability of China, Japan, et al., to continue funding U.S. deficits. He expects inflation to be increasing at an annual rate of more than 10% within 18 months.

He hasn't yet considered (in his recent articles anyway) that perhaps the American public, due to its sudden shift to saving instead of spending, will be able and willing to buy U.S. Treasuries to fund a fair amount of the debt the gov will need to borrow in the coming years.  (Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, Business Editor of the UK Telegraph believes that will be the case. He is another analyst I'd recommend reading. ) 

I found a list of Hutchinson's articles by searching on his name at http://www.prudentbear.com

Wendy

scepticus's picture
scepticus

Mike Shedlock at http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/ is the best commentator on current events, bar none. He is one of the very few to have predicted this meltdown with almost perfect timing and accuracy some time ago, and to have continued to get things right in the months since.

He is also #3 in the ranks of most viewed financial blogs (after the Big Picture, mentioned above and one other I can't remember).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments