US Passes Strong Sanctions Against Iran

95 posts / 0 new
Last post
machinehead's picture
machinehead
US Passes Strong Sanctions Against Iran

For some reason, this news is being soft-pedaled domestically, although it's getting big play overseas, as well it should. These sanctions remind me of Frank Roosevelt's attempt to blockade Japanese energy imports, six months before the Pearl Harbor attack. Make no mistake -- this legislation is a de facto declaration of war on Iran:

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration welcomed Congressional approval of sweeping Iran sanctions Friday, after months of reservations and negotiations over the legislation. The sanctions were approved by a 99-0 Senate vote and 408-8 tally in the House of Representatives.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton pledged complete implementation of the measure, which was passed overwhelming [sic] by both chambers Thursday and now awaits only the president’s signature to become law.

As American enterprises are already forbidden from doing business with Iran, the bill sanctions those foreign companies that sell Iran gasoline or help develop its energy sector, and forces financial institutions to chose between using American banks or ones connected to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps.

The White House did not receive the wide exemptions it sought for “cooperating countries,” but did get waiver authority it could apply to specific companies from cooperating countries once they have been named and investigated.

Despite the waivers, the legislation still “by far the most comprehensive sanctions related to Iran” imposed by the Congress, according to co-author Howard Berman, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Entertainment/Article.aspx?id=179558

It's interesting to note the backdrop in which this bill was passed on Friday, June 25th:

It came the same day as the House passed a resolution calling for the immediate release of kidnapped IDF soldier Gilad Shalit, on the four-year anniversary of his abduction.

“We continue to offer our support to the family of Gilad Shalit and to the people of Israel,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement issued after the resolution was approved. “Congress stands united behind a future of peace and security for the Jewish state.”

All well and good, no doubt. But what about the peace and security of the American state? In my humble opinion, this provocative, overreaching piece of special-interest legislation pushes the U.S. dangerously closer to a war that it doesn't need, can't afford, and can't win. A hopelessly energy import-dependent country like the U.S., kicking an Islamic oil producer in the teeth?

You'd think we might have learned something from Oil Shock II in 1979. Frown

machinehead's picture
machinehead
Re: US Passes Strong Sanctions Against Iran

Here is the roll call vote in the House on Iran sanctions:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll394.xml

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

Extension of unemployment benefits were denied, in a more than wink and nudge synchronized fashion by congress, too.  Was it on the same day, or just a day apart?   Hallmark moments for war profiteers,recruiters, AND Bengaminnetan- Yahoo, all at the same time!

Davos's picture
Davos

I'm sure the 12 (or how many ever it was) warships that went through the Panama Canal are headed to Iran for one reason and one reason only.

I suppose that 2 wars, one being longer than Vietnam from Bay of Tonkin to end and declaring a 3rd war will let our Moron -n- Chief win another Nobel Peace award.

Nobel Laureates are utter and absolute morons. Krugman especially. This world is an insane asylum.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

machinehead wrote:

All well and good, no doubt. But what about the peace and security of the American state? In my humble opinion, this provocative, overreaching piece of special-interest legislation pushes the U.S. dangerously closer to a war that it doesn't need, can't afford, and can't win. A hopelessly energy import-dependent country like the U.S., kicking an Islamic oil producer in the teeth?

Well said sir!  The government and the people are being overwhelmed in chaos.  Does anyone in Washington know we're broke and the economy is collapsing already?  How can it help our national security to bankrupt the nation while inciting WW3?

Rahm Emanuel is taking full advantage of every crisis that can be created.  "He served for Israel defence against a possible Iraqi attack.  Accused afterwards of being a Tsahal officer and of being subjected to a double allegiance, Mr Emanuel pointed out that he had not served in the uniform. In fact, according to our information, he would be a member of Amal, Tsahal’s military intelligence service."

It is entirely inappropriate for president Barry Soetoro's (a.k.a. Barack Hussein Obama) chief of staff to have dual loyalties.  Would anyone notice if the chief of staff served in the Iranian military?

Report: Israel, US preparing for war with Iran

A flurry of news reports over the past week indicate that Israel and the US are readying for an imminent military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

On Wednesday, Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency reported that about a week ago a squad of Israeli military aircraft landed at a military airstrip in Saudi Arabia, of all places. It was reported earlier this month that Saudi Arabia had agreed to let Israel pass through its airspace in order to strike Iran.

The Israeli aircraft reportedly landed at the airport in Tabuk in northwest Saudi Arabia, which according to the report will act as the central base of operations for the Israeli air campaign against Iran.

At the same time, Iran's Press TV reported that a very large contingent of US ground forces had massed in neighboring Azerbaijan. The independent Azerbaijani news website Trend confirmed the report.

Those reports came just days after the Pentagon confirmed that an unusually large fleet of US warships had indeed passed through Egypt's Suez Canal en route to the Persian Gulf. At least one Israeli warship reportedly joined the American armada.

If we attack, it will be for the benefit of Israel at a huge price to the already reeling American people.  Our leadership seems intent on committing national suicide.

Larry

machinehead's picture
machinehead

What's very odd is the silence in the US mainstream press. The New York Times features perfunctory summaries of the House and Senate roll calls, but there is no corresponding news article:

http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/111/house/2/394

http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/111/senate/2/199

The Guardian in the UK has an article about the sanctions, but I didn't notice anything in the other British dailies or the Canadian Globe 'n Mail:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/25/us-imposes-tough-sanctions-iran

Partly this is explained by the news cycle -- Friday afternoon is the ideal time to bury events, since reporters like to leave for the weekend just as everyone else does.

And of course, passing these sanctions on Friday gave the US another stick to bring to the negotiating table in Toronto.

My sense is that the new Iran sanctions are a very big deal. European companies which supply technology, materials or financial services to Iran could be banned from access to US correspondent banks and US dollar transactions. This is an amazingly aggressive, perhaps unprecedented, exercise in unilateral extraterritoriality of U.S. law.

If that were ALL it was, I suspect the media jungle would have come alive with the cries of press pundits, swinging excitedly from tree to tree. The eerie silence tells me that something else is going on. Perhaps a secret ultimatum to Iran, or a mission countdown ticking secretly.

It's the dogs that didn't bark which worry me. And that gold closed just below a record high on Friday. Something just don't seem right. Surprised

machinehead's picture
machinehead
DrKrbyLuv wrote:

Report: Israel, US preparing for war with Iran

On Wednesday, Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency reported that about a week ago a squad of Israeli military aircraft landed at a military airstrip in Saudi Arabia, of all places. It was reported earlier this month that Saudi Arabia had agreed to let Israel pass through its airspace in order to strike Iran.

The Israeli aircraft reportedly landed at the airport in Tabuk in northwest Saudi Arabia, which according to the report will act as the central base of operations for the Israeli air campaign against Iran.

At the same time, Iran's Press TV reported that a very large contingent of US ground forces had massed in neighboring Azerbaijan. The independent Azerbaijani news website Trend confirmed the report.

Those reports came just days after the Pentagon confirmed that an unusually large fleet of US warships had indeed passed through Egypt's Suez Canal en route to the Persian Gulf. At least one Israeli warship reportedly joined the American armada.

Although it's difficult to see on this map, Tabuk in Saudi Arabia is directly south of Jordan, colored in green. Tabuk is not much closer to Iran than Israel is.

The only advantage I could imagine from pre-positioning aircraft in Tabuk is the ability to strike Iran without crossing any other national airspace, other than Saudi Arabia's.

Azerbaijan is colored brown, just above northwest Iran on the west shore of the Caspian Sea.

Saudi Arabia is no friend of Iran, viewing it as a potential source of revolutionary foment among the restive Saudi people. But, allowing Saudi Arabia to be used as the base for an Israeli attack on a fellow Muslim country could well provoke a revolution itself.

If Saudi Arabia's senile rulers agreed to such a demented plan, they're as crazy as our deluded overlords. Surprised

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Quote:

The penalties on providing gasoline or refining equipment and services to Iran might hurt suppliers such as China Petroleum & Chemical Corp....The gasoline supply gap may shrink. Iran aims to be self- sufficient in gasoline production within two years as upgrades to refineries are completed, Deputy Petroleum Minister Shahnazi Zadeh said last month.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-24/iran-gasoline-banking-sanctions-approved-by-congress.html

Quote:

Oil traders and oil industry analysts say Iran will have little trouble finding other gasoline supplies in the Persian Gulf, where a black market in fuel-products thrives, even if Washington passes measures that would penalize firms or individuals with business in the U.S. that supply gasoline to Iran.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704198004575310982786011098.html?mod=fox_australian

Generally one can find this kind of news in the business, if not mainline US press. Although as machinehead points out this is tantamount to a declaration of war I don't expect anything to happen unless Iran is attacked or the US fleet in the Gulf starts interdicting refined gasoline supplies, but that would involve China which would be to neither country's advantage.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Russia now says Iran sanctions ban S-300 missiles

(AP) – Jun 11, 2010

MOSCOW — The new U.N. sanctions prevent Russia from delivering S-300 air-defense missiles to Iran, a Kremlin official said Friday, in a reversal of the position announced by Russia's Foreign Ministry the day before

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jwgjCj_5_J7wBULdtaiWmK...

China-Iran--- June 25, Asia Times Online:

Given China's stance, it seems previously good China-Iran relations have been challenged, as Iran's top nuclear official Ali Akbar Salehi, head of the Atomic Energy Organization and the country's vice president, lashed out at Beijing. He said, "It's [China] showing a behavior that will certainly influence the Islamic world and the minds of Muslims ... It will slowly lose its respectable position in the Muslim world and will wake up when it's too late."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/LF25Ad02.html

It's interesting what is happening here. Under the phony pretext of international security, Iran is being isolated. Through an arms embargo it's citizens are left vulnerable, open to attack. Without the Russian S-33 defence missiles, can they retaliate against Israel in a meaningful way? I don't think so. They likely won't have the ability to hit Israelis where they live. The war zone will be confined to the air, ground and sea in the immediate vicinity of Iran. Saudi Arabia could be vulnerable, but they're pretty well defended, so not likely.   It's profoundly ironic that Israel, a non-disclosing nuclear power is not being condemned for lying about it's own nuclear weapons, not forced to disclose.  You have to wonder what's in it for Russia and China; why the compliance with UN?  They seem to be allowing themselves to be coerced into going along with the UN charade against Iran, a country with no nuclear weapons. So far Obomba has won a Nobel prize, seemingly for beating war drums and increasing military spending. What does he get if he gets the U.S. involved in this expansion of the wars in the Middle East? How is he any different than Bush 1 or 2? The sell-out is  Bush 3 with slicker propanda machinery.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Is there a text of the sanctions somewhere?  I think the devil may be in the details here.  If gasoline exporters are forced to choose between Iran and the US, war is certain.  I'd like to see a copy of the text though.  If the sanctions are as they seem, I cannot understand why this isn't front-page news all over the world.  

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Farmer Brown wrote:

Is there a text of the sanctions somewhere?

Hey Farmer Brown, use the google.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2194:

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, is in Israel today on his way home from a visit to the Af/Pak front:

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States Military, Admiral Michael G. Mullen, arrived in Israel today (June 27th, 2010) for a brief work-related visit in Israel as a guest of the IDF Chief of the General Staff, Lieutenant General Gabi Ashkenazi.

Adm. Mullen will also meet with the Head of Israeli Military Intelligence, Major General Amos Yadlin, and will receive up-to-date briefings.

http://idfspokesperson.com/2010/06/27/photos-of-u-s-jcs-chairman-admiral-mullens-visit-to-idf-headquarters-27-june-2010/

Maybe it's just a routine visit. Or maybe not. It sure makes me nervous.

machinehead's picture
machinehead

News articles about 'Iran sanctions' (from Google)

:

The MSM 'radio silence' strikes me as strange, in lieu of the standard chest thumping, high fiving, saber rattling, and male grooming behaviors.

What in the Sam Hill is goin' on here? Undecided

The Evolutionary Ape's picture
The Evolutionary Ape
agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

The mainstream media sabre rattling stage is over. Viewers have become habituated to the noise and just ignore it anyway. Those who have been following the Iranian issue closely, understand what the past impediments to bombing the cra* out of Iran were, and can see that the most difficult stumbling blocks have been removed. Being able to fly through Saudi air space, while somehow coercing Russia and China to distance themselves from Iran has been very helpful for the chicken hawks.

Obomba signed a treaty with Medvedev, agreeing to reduce nuclear stock piles by 30%, on April 8, of this year.  He probably procured an agreement with Medvedev to back away from supporting Iran as a pre-condition for signing it. In the following few months, Israel/U.S. recieved clearance  from Saudi Arabia to fly through their air space. Bingo...war seems assured, to this reader. And who better to push for a greatly expanded war, than the compromised man currently occupying the white house, a Nobel prize winner, no less? It's an almost cosmic absurdity, seemingly sponsored by trickster forces, or the Lords of Irony,  for the Orwellian times we live in; permanent war for permanent peace.

machinehead's picture
machinehead
agitating prop wrote:

And who better to push for a greatly expanded war, than the compromised man currently occupying the white house, a Nobel prize winner, no less? It's an almost cosmic absurdity, seemingly sponsored by trickster forces, or the Lords of Irony,  for the Orwellian times we live in; permanent war for permanent peace.

Some day, no doubt, the Nobel numbskulls will have to publish an apologia for O'Bomba like the one they've posted for 1949 prizewinner Egaz Moniz, inventor of prefrontal lobotomy.

This humane visionary would insert an ice pick through the eye socket into the brain, swirl it round like a swizzle stick to turn the brain to grey mush, and voila! A new person ... well, part of a person ... emerged from the cerebral calamity.

But as a Swedish doctor named Bengt Janssen writes with aggrieved amazement,

I see no reason for indignation at what was done in the 1940s as at that time there were no other alternatives!

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/articles/moniz/

And there you have it. Likewise poor O'Bomber, the eminent Nobelist, only did what he had to do. No alternatives, ya know!Cry

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

The rhetoric will ramp up soon (MSM will pick it up hardcore), and then it should go silent again for a  week or two.  When that happens we'll know Russia has given the go ahead, and the game is on.  Then, that next rush of aggressive press coverage will coincide with UN, NATO and US propaganda to show cause for the conflict that will transpire IMO, before October of this year.  

This is all speculation.   But it's speculation that I've pieced together from my conversations with people in the know.   

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

BTW:  I hope I'm absolutely wrong on this "speculation".  If I am, don't crucify me.Innocent  If I'm right, don't crucify me.Cry

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
LogansRun wrote:

The rhetoric will ramp up soon (MSM will pick it up hardcore), and then it should go silent again for a  week or two.  When that happens we'll know Russia has given the go ahead, and the game is on.  Then, that next rush of aggressive press coverage will coincide with UN, NATO and US propaganda to show cause for the conflict that will transpire IMO, before October of this year.  

This is all speculation.   But it's speculation that I've pieced together from my conversations with people in the know.   

The Guardian--Monday, June 28,2010

"Russia has in the past been reluctant to impose hard-hitting sanctions but backed the latest UN resolution following Tehran's repeated defiance and clashed publicly with Iran over its change of tack. Israel's president, Shimon Peres, today expressed "appreciation" of Medvedev's statement."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/28/iran-postpones-nuclear-talks

There  you go, Logan. Iran being skillfully maneuvered into place.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

G-8 'fully believes' Israel will attack Iran, says Italy PM

World leaders "believe absolutely" that Israel may decide to take military action against Iran to prevent the latter from acquiring nuclear weapons, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said Saturday.

“Iran is not guaranteeing a peaceful production of nuclear power [so] the members of the G-8 are worried and believe absolutely that Israel will probably react preemptively,” Berlusconi told reporters following talks with other Group of Eight leaders north of Toronto.

Israel must have the equivalent of AIPAC in all G8 countries.  Berlusconi mentions that "Israel may decide to take military action against Iran" but so far, almost all of the military hardware appears to be from the U.S.  Or is the U.S. military now considered to be under the control of Israel by the G8?

Larry

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

I hadn't read that.  Interesting read and it makes more and more sense as things progress.  

I don't think the "go ahead" has been given yet though.  My guess is that this is a warning to Iran from Russia saying:  "We're giving you some time to get prepared".  I don't think time to change course for Iran is in the cards.  No matter what they do or say, it will be spun to the US/European citizens as negative.  

An attack is imminent no matter what happens.  The real wildcard will be how China reacts to it as well as Pakistani Citizens.  

Thanks for the link AP.

machinehead's picture
machinehead

H.R. 2194, although passed by both houses of Congress and forwarded to the president, has not yet been signed. Last Monday the WSJ quoted a 'major policy organization' [guess who, wink wink] as saying that the president would have no choice but to sign it, even though some flexibility for country waivers desired by the administration was not provided.

I will be extremely interested to see whether the presidential signing is highly publicized or covert. The latter scenario actually would be more troubling, as it might invoke the secrecy which typically surrounds a pending military action.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Due to the article in the UK and Medvidev's comments, I would be very surprised if this is publicized.  The MSM will start to ratchet things up soon, but not inform the public of this particular bill.  What I mean by ratchet things up, is a constant vilification of Iran and their nuke program.  

The whole cycle that I mentioned earlier could have already passed though.  That's fairly disconcerting to me, in that the info I have/had is not conducive to that scenario.  That means (more than likely) that the Israeli (shadow gov't) has decided that things need to move forward much faster than thought.  This could mean that an economic crash or another "black swan event" is imminent (or in the case of the spill, going to publicly get much worse).

Either way, I KNOW this attack is going to happen soon.  My feeling from prior conversations is that it will happen before Oct. of this year.  

What a messed up world we live in! 

machinehead wrote:

H.R. 2194, although passed by both houses of Congress and forwarded to the president, has not yet been signed. Last Monday the WSJ quoted a 'major policy organization' [guess who, wink wink] as saying that the president would have no choice but to sign it, even though some flexibility for country waivers desired by the administration was not provided.

I will be extremely interested to see whether the presidential signing is highly publicized or covert. The latter scenario actually would be more troubling, as it might invoke the secrecy which typically surrounds a pending military action.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

Thanks Logan. It's really helpful to have an insider's point of view.  The latest UN sanctions against Iran certainly seems to be Iraq all over again, this time on steroids.  H.R.2194 seems to be part of an overall muscular initiative, marshalling international support to kick sand in the face of a 98 lb weakling. Meanwhile Israel actually has nukes. It's the ultimate sick joke. About 25 years ago, Robert Anton Wilson wrote a series of books called the Illuminatus trilogy. The books described similar ridiculous international situations, where everyone is forced to dance to the agenda of an insane international leader.  It was only funny because one had the feeling that the political realm couldn't possibly become so detached from reality that it would ever resemble Wilson's work. It's gotten to the point that the ultimate horror of unjustified wars, presents itself to us wearing clown shoes and a big red rubber nose, clutching a squirting daisy in one hand, and a missile in the other. It's a circus of lies, beyond satire.

John99's picture
John99

In The Evolutionary Ape's earlier ZH post (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/thunder-road-report-moving-closer-war-f...) the article says the US military in on 'Defcon 2' alert. Can anyone confirm this?

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

We've been at DEFCON 4 for quite a while.  I don't think we've been down to 3 since 9/11 and before that, Yom Kippur if my history is correct.  

The DEFCON system is mostly for attacks on US soil or installations from my understanding.  DIAP would probably be able to help on this one.

Thanks Machinehead for keeping us up on this situation.  

John99's picture
John99

Thanks, LR!

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

I just went to collapse net for the first time in about a week and found this article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100628-702199.html

It's unclear when Total decided to halt the sales and if it has outstanding delivery commitments.

The U.S. Congress Thursday approved the toughest sanctions yet against Iran, ramping up consequences for foreign energy firms that do business with the Islamic republic ...

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Sorry, hit the post button prematurely, when I was trying to take the article back as the info has been mentioned.  I'm an idiot!

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Video of Ron Paul on the House floor, commenting on H.R. 2194:

Sanctions are very serious. Sanctions are literally an act of war. When you prevent certain goods and services from going in to a country, it's like a blockade. There's no advantage to us to do this.

The sanctions bill literally says that any country that trades or sends oil into Iran, we wil no longer trade with them. So if Russia sends in oil or gasoline or refined products, or China does, we are theoretically under this bill not to trade with them.

Can you think of anything more chaotic than having a trade war with China at this particular time?

So often well-intended foreign policy procedures backfire, and there's too often blowback.

http://spiderlegsworld.blogspot.com/2010/06/iran-sanctions-preemptive-war-on-iran.html

Nope -- I can't think of anything more chaotic than trade war with China triggered by controversy over Iran. 

But since Iran is no threat to the U.S., the best interests of the United States were never the point of this bill in the first place.

'Blowback' is the key word of Paul's speech. There's plenty in the pipeline already, thanks to O'Bomba's lawless Predator Drone mayhem in Pakistan. 

Pick another fight with an oil power of 72 million people? So you think you're Shah O'Bomba!

That don't impress me much ... Frown

machinehead's picture
machinehead

From Stratfor via zerohedge -- as of June 23rd, the US carrier Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) is near the carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) in the Indian Ocean south of Iran, at far right on the map below:

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/uss-carrier-harry-truman-now-officially-just-iran-israel-allegedly-plotting-imminent-tehran-

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments