US Military Suicides at Record High

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: US Military Suicides at Record High

Not to trivialize either, but at .006% the military suicide rate is roughly half of the National rate of .011%.

What were you trying to say?

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert

Do you think it's a conspiracy?

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo

There is something wrong when more suicides are happening than soldiers being killed in battle, don't you think? The trend is growing alarmingly and the army just seems to sweep it under the rug. That is why stories like this come out. We saw the poor service in army hospitals and that carries over to the troops coming home. I can't imagine living in a situation where your buddies are dying around you, suicide bombers, the lack of a real reason to be there in the first place.

Seems to me, that if there is no escape or way to get out of this nightmare, suicide looks like a way out.  Sooner or later there has to be a draft. How can you ask the national guard to fight wars that never end. Obama is making a huge mistake continuing this endless war. The English and Russians learned the hard way-guess we will to. Instead of calling these wars for freedom and democracy; why not just admit it's the "energy wars".

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. The Army certainly isn't "sweeping it under the rug".

There is no shortage of resources that all the Armed Forces are using - here is a link to a few resource and info sites for the Army. Suicide Prevention and Suicide Awareness training is conducted pre-deployment, while in theater and post deployment.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/dhpw/readiness/suicide.aspx

http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/suicide/

http://www.army.mil/-newsreleases/2009/01/29/16219-us-army-releases-2008...

Is it still going to happen - yes, but to say the Army is sweeping it under the rug is flat out wrong.

Where do you get your info that more soldiers are dying due to suicide than in battle? CNN or Keith Olbermann? Neither of whom really care except to stir the pot and get more viewers.

The facts are this - 128 soldiers committed suicide last year. There are 15 investigations ongoing so it may go up to 143. 30 of those were soldiers who had not deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.

There were 314 in theater deaths in 2008 - so your claim that more soldiers are dying from suicide than combat is again, factually wrong.

Still trying to figure out what your implied connection is between Walter Reed and "troops coming home". Most of them receive care at facilities near their home base and most bases aren't near Walter Reed. The expose on conditions at Walter Reed was great - the problem got fixed and the CO and Army Chief of Staff were fired because of it. Too bad we don't hold the average US citizen, our elected officials and leaders in industry to such a standard of personal accountability.

Your last paragraph sheds the true light on the agenda of your post. Why don't you just say what you said instead of leading off with some sensationalized and factually incorrect assembly of info? Not that it matters, but I'd probably agree more with the subjective issues raised in your final paragraph. Although I don't see it as an "energy war" so much as a "clash of civilzations".

To wrap up - I only spent 24 years on active duty so my experience and perspective probably doesn't match that of the "experts" in the main stream media. How can you believe some glossy lipped bimbo like Katie Couric or Robin Meade who jump from a feature on military suicides into what the 'stars' were wearing on Oscar night or what underwear Britney Spears wasn't wearing with equal exuberance?

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
investorzzo wrote:

There is something wrong when more suicides are happening than soldiers being killed in battle, don't you think? The trend is growing alarmingly and the army just seems to sweep it under the rug. That is why stories like this come out. We saw the poor service in army hospitals and that carries over to the troops coming home. I can't imagine living in a situation where your buddies are dying around you, suicide bombers, the lack of a real reason to be there in the first place.

Seems to me, that if there is no escape or way to get out of this nightmare, suicide looks like a way out.  Sooner or later there has to be a draft. How can you ask the national guard to fight wars that never end. Obama is making a huge mistake continuing this endless war. The English and Russians learned the hard way-guess we will to. Instead of calling these wars for freedom and democracy; why not just admit it's the "energy wars".

investorzzo,

Dogs says it all better than I can. However, as a Vietnam era vet (who was lucky not to have to "visit" Vietnam), I'd like to add a couple of factual points to the discussion:

We saw the poor service in army hospitals...

1.Who is "we"? Where did you see this - on TV? We all know how reliable the MSM is! Undecided

2. It is a known fact that military hospitals (especially front-line units) are saving more lives than ever before. When our wounded are rotated back stateside, they also receive excellent care. Do you really think all the dedicated doctors, nurses, and support staff are going to ignore the troops? Please!

3. From personal experience, I know the VA system has also dramatically improved. Here in the Portland, Oregon metro area, there used to be one central VA hospital for all vets within a large area. The VA has now implemented satellite facilities to make it easier for the vets to find local care (I understand this is going on all over the US). There is one that recently opened just a mile-or-so from my house. I recently visited the facility with a Vietnam Vet buddy of mine who has PTSD. The facility is very nicely appointed and completely computerized and modern. My buddy tells me he has no complaints about the quality of care he has received and continues to receive.

I am dismayed that you think our troops are being used up and thrown away. They may have received lesser care in years past but, I can assure you, they are receiving excellent care today.

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo

My source was posted in the link. The other source is NPR, you know the Bush administration calls them the liberal press and wanted to cut their funding. I notice we still don't see the coffins coming in from the war? Unlike Vietnam. I used to see protest against the war, now you hardly see anyone saying anything? Maybe they believe that Obama will stop the wars?

I find it amazing that anyone who follows this site and knows of the truth about why we go to war is affended by what I'm telling anyone here. War is about resources, not democracy or some other high end moral agenda.  But then I don't drink the cool-aid.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Quote:

There is something wrong when more suicides are happening than soldiers being killed in battle, don't you think? The trend is growing alarmingly and the army just seems to sweep it under the rug.

This was your first sentence in your first post.  I think you need to do better data fusion - 143 suicides in 2008, 314 deaths in Iraq in 2008 - your first sentence was wrong.  Then I provided links to counter your assessment that the trend is growing alarmingly and the Army is doing nothing but sweeping this under the rug.  

Quote:

I find it amazing that anyone who follows this site and knows of the truth about why we go to war is affended(sic) by what I'm telling anyone here.

Not offended in the least - my original question to you was the source of your information.  I used the link you provided and came up with the info to point out the erroneous conclusions you came to and the statements you made. 

I told you in post #4 that we had some level of agreement that wars (to a degree) are about resources so I that we had some common ground to go on.  And then you insult me by telling me I "drink the cool aid".

Mr./Mrs./Ms. Investorzzo - our exchanges are done until you can be more cordial.

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4802249n

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments