U.S. financial conditions just collapsed back To crisis levels

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
U.S. financial conditions just collapsed back To crisis levels

Deutsche Bank has a new and improved index of U.S. financial conditions, and this index just slumped back towards the lows of our recent crisis.

http://www.businessinsider.com/deutsche-bank-financial-conditions-just-d...

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Re: U.S. financial conditions just collapsed back To crisis ...

There is no economic recovery: Gerald Celente 6-24-10

http://geraldcelentechannel.blogspot.com/

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Investorzzo,

I agree that these are both excellent reads. But what I don't understand is why you insist on creating new threads for such things when we have a Daily Digest thread just for this purpose.

IMHO, by creating a new thread for something that belongs in the Digest thread, you detract from the overall quality of the site in several ways:

• Some people don't read the forums but do read the DIgest every day specifically because they are looking for good reads like these. By putting them in separate threads, you deny those readers the opportunity to benefit from your finds.
  • More threads makes the site harder to navigate in general. A smaller number of substantive threads (meaning those likely to generate an ongoing discussion) makes the site easier to follow and higher quality
  • Consolidating links to outside articles into a single place (the Daily Digest thread which exists for that purpose) makes it much easier to handle after-the-fact "I remember seeing a great link on CM.com a week or so ago... Now where was that?" scenarios. In other words, this stuff all belongs in one place where it's easy to find.

I certainly can see where in some cases it makes sense to create a separate thread. If something is likely to lead to an ongoing discussion, that would warrant a separate thread. But even then I think the link should ALSO be posted to the Digest. For example, if someone published a paper questioning the validity of the CC, that would obviously be a subject that would cause a lengthy discussion, so a separate thread would be warranted in that case. But frankly, Investorzzo, you personally have a long history of posting stuff that belongs in the Digest thread in separate new threads. I don't understand why you insist on doing this rather than "playing ball" with the system that's in place and which (mostly) everyone else follows.

Investorzzo, these are just my opinions about "how things should be in a perfect world". I concede that I'm not the moderator and that I have no authority to tell you what to do. My intention is only to ask you to reconsider your ways, since I know you are a long-time contributor to the site, and I'm sure you want to contribute in a positive way. I am going to flag my own post (this one) to call this matter to the attention of the moderators, in hopes that they might be clearer about guidelines for what belongs in new threads vs. the digest in the future. I'm flagging my own post rather than yours in recognition of the fact that you haven't violated the posting guidelines, and that my comments here are really my own opinions as opposed to an established site policy.

Thanks for your frequent contributions to the site, and for your consideration of my suggestion, Investorzzo. Jason, if I'm out of line here and you want me to refrain from making suggestions of this nature about how to keep the site better organized in the future, just say the word and I'll butt out.

Thanks,

Erik

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

"The continued absence of private securitization of mortgages and subdued activity in ABS markets persists in weighing on broad conditions."

This underscores a recent article U.S. Role in Mortgage Market Grows Even Larger

The U.S. government's massive share of the nation's mortgage market grew even larger during the first quarter.

Government-related entities backed 96.5% of all home loans during the first quarter, up from 90% in 2009, according to Inside Mortgage Finance. The increase was driven by a jump in the share of loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-owned housing-finance giants.

We the People are guaranteeing almost all mortgages while the banks collect interest.  We take the risk and they profit by the reward.

The U.S. government should directly issue the money to buy all of these mortgages for free just like the bankers do when they create money since we are providing all of the collateral.  The government could profit by collecting interest fees on the open mortgages.  Interested banks could be paid to collect the money as a service.

Let's say for example, there is $10 trillion outstanding in guaranteed mortgages.  We could lower the interest rate to 3% and still make just over $5 trillion in interest alone over the life of these loans.  Part of the money would be spent managing the program but the lion's share could be used in lieu of Federal income and employment taxes to help rejuvenate the economy.

If someone defaults on a mortgage, instead of paying banks that created the money for free, government could simply resell the property without paying extra money in phony insurance.

Larry

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Keep up the good work Investorzzo!

I personally like to see them in separate threads, as individual discussions don't normally take place in the DD.  And unfortunately, sometimes when people do comment on a story in the DD, some members take it upon themselves to become "site police" and bitch that the DD isn't the place for such discussions.Tongue outSealed

ron45's picture
ron45

Sorry, I guess I just don't get it. Sounds like I Ching stuff. 1Didn't do enough homework maybe to better understand this guy's purpose and the utility of his info gathering but where was he the day before it blew? Hind sight? Who Cares? 

These are totally off the top of my head reactions to listhening to about 5 minutes of this stuff. If I am missing something vital please let me know. This was a pretty confusing, jumbled, web sight to try finding the pertinent information on. By the time I found it I was already getting impatient with the whole idea. 

This kind of nebulus, it could mean anything language fragments is the kind of stuff they built the world's religions out of.

Ron

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Huh?

Ron Becker wrote:

Sorry, I guess I just don't get it. Sounds like I Ching stuff. 1Didn't do enough homework maybe to better understand this guy's purpose and the utility of his info gathering but where was he the day before it blew? Hind sight? Who Cares? 

These are totally off the top of my head reactions to listhening to about 5 minutes of this stuff. If I am missing something vital please let me know. This was a pretty confusing, jumbled, web sight to try finding the pertinent information on. By the time I found it I was already getting impatient with the whole idea. 

This kind of nebulus, it could mean anything language fragments is the kind of stuff they built the world's religions out of.

Ron

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Ron Becker wrote:

Ron

People who are holding on to the belief that  the major financial crisis or crises are behind us, actually do need the information that Investorzorro provided, through his link. It looks like the Duetsch bank ideas were backed with a couple of graphs that told a story, on their own,  without much interpretation required.

ron45's picture
ron45

Sorry, I was unclear about what I was referring to. It was the link to the blog where someone's software was making observations of data on the internet and making predictions. The ones quoted were vague biblical type stuff i.e. the ocean is in turmoil, not a direct quote but close enough, after about six or eight more vague phrases like dockin will be difficult or something like that, which were taken to mean the rig was going to explode, I hastily wrote what is quoted. I figured people who read the msg I quoted would have looked at the link to the blog.  I'm in the worst is yet to come camp.

Ron

soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph

Erik, pardon me for butting in here, but I think you need to chill out. I am new here, and so far my most negative impression of these boards comes from two very lengthy posts from you trying to police what other people say here. (The other being the Gerald Celente thread.) I would not have thought TWICE about these posts except for your heavy-handed reaction to them. I also don't read the daily digest nor do I really care whether there's a "competing" thread about it.

Discussion forums should be organic. Too much moderation and they become stifling, joyless places to participate in. If people are contributing and having a good discussion on a particular subject brought up, why do you need to come in and be a kill joy about it? You are making the forums less enticing for newbies like me, not wayward threads that don't fit into your desire for an orderly world.

Relax...it's just the Internet! Go outside and enjoy the sunshine for a little while. :-)

Erik T. wrote:

Investorzzo,

I agree that these are both excellent reads. But what I don't understand is why you insist on creating new threads for such things when we have a Daily Digest thread just for this purpose.

IMHO, by creating a new thread for something that belongs in the Digest thread, you detract from the overall quality of the site in several ways:

• Some people don't read the forums but do read the DIgest every day specifically because they are looking for good reads like these. By putting them in separate threads, you deny those readers the opportunity to benefit from your finds.
  • More threads makes the site harder to navigate in general. A smaller number of substantive threads (meaning those likely to generate an ongoing discussion) makes the site easier to follow and higher quality
  • Consolidating links to outside articles into a single place (the Daily Digest thread which exists for that purpose) makes it much easier to handle after-the-fact "I remember seeing a great link on CM.com a week or so ago... Now where was that?" scenarios. In other words, this stuff all belongs in one place where it's easy to find.

I certainly can see where in some cases it makes sense to create a separate thread. If something is likely to lead to an ongoing discussion, that would warrant a separate thread. But even then I think the link should ALSO be posted to the Digest. For example, if someone published a paper questioning the validity of the CC, that would obviously be a subject that would cause a lengthy discussion, so a separate thread would be warranted in that case. But frankly, Investorzzo, you personally have a long history of posting stuff that belongs in the Digest thread in separate new threads. I don't understand why you insist on doing this rather than "playing ball" with the system that's in place and which (mostly) everyone else follows.

Investorzzo, these are just my opinions about "how things should be in a perfect world". I concede that I'm not the moderator and that I have no authority to tell you what to do. My intention is only to ask you to reconsider your ways, since I know you are a long-time contributor to the site, and I'm sure you want to contribute in a positive way. I am going to flag my own post (this one) to call this matter to the attention of the moderators, in hopes that they might be clearer about guidelines for what belongs in new threads vs. the digest in the future. I'm flagging my own post rather than yours in recognition of the fact that you haven't violated the posting guidelines, and that my comments here are really my own opinions as opposed to an established site policy.

Thanks for your frequent contributions to the site, and for your consideration of my suggestion, Investorzzo. Jason, if I'm out of line here and you want me to refrain from making suggestions of this nature about how to keep the site better organized in the future, just say the word and I'll butt out.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
soulsurfersteph wrote:

Erik, pardon me for butting in here, but I think you need to chill out. I am new here, and so far my most negative impression of these boards comes from two very lengthy posts from you trying to police what other people say here. (The other being the Gerald Celente thread.) I would not have thought TWICE about these posts except for your heavy-handed reaction to them. I also don't read the daily digest nor do I really care whether there's a "competing" thread about it.

Discussion forums should be organic. Too much moderation and they become stifling, joyless places to participate in. If people are contributing and having a good discussion on a particular subject brought up, why do you need to come in and be a kill joy about it? You are making the forums less enticing for newbies like me, not wayward threads that don't fit into your desire for an orderly world.

Relax...it's just the Internet! Go outside and enjoy the sunshine for a little while. :-)

No, it's not "just the Internet". It's PeakProsperity.com, and for the last couple of years we've enjoyed a discussion forum that has stood head and antlers above anything else on the net. The discussions were always polite, respectful, and a bunch of very smart people made very well-reasoned arguments to support their opinions.

In answer to your question "why do you need to come and be a kill-joy about it?", the answer is precisely because the site is rapidly devolving to become "just the Internet", with the same quality standards that exist elsewhere on the net. It's great to see so many newcomers on the site, and I welcome you and encourage your participation. But I make no apology for wanting to uphold the "better than just the Internet" quality standards this site has come to represent.

As I said in my earlier post, those were just my opinions and I don't claim to have any authority to tell anyone else what to do. But I will continue to do my part to try to keep the quality of this site higher than the norm that exists elsewhere on the net. I would respectfully request that you loose the "it's just the Internet" attitude, and consider the idea that as a newcomer you might strive to improve the site rather than posit a thesis for why you don't think keeping the quality level high is worthwhile.

I'll "chill out" when newcomers stop showing up with your "it's just the Internet" attitude.

Erik

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Erik T. wrote:
soulsurfersteph wrote:

No, it's not "just the Internet". It's PeakProsperity.com, and for the last couple of years we've enjoyed a discussion forum that has stood head and antlers above anything else on the net. The discussions were always polite, respectful, and a bunch of very smart people made very well-reasoned arguments to support their opinions.

In answer to your question "why do you need to come and be a kill-joy about it?", the answer is precisely because the site is rapidly devolving to become "just the Internet", with the same quality standards that exist elsewhere on the net. It's great to see so many newcomers on the site, and I welcome you and encourage your participation. But I make no apology for wanting to uphold the "better than just the Internet" quality standards this site has come to represent.

As I said in my earlier post, those were just my opinions and I don't claim to have any authority to tell anyone else what to do. But I will continue to do my part to try to keep the quality of this site higher than the norm that exists elsewhere on the net. I would respectfully request that you loose the "it's just the Internet" attitude, and consider the idea that as a newcomer you might strive to improve the site rather than posit a thesis for why you don't think keeping the quality level high is worthwhile.

I'll "chill out" when newcomers stop showing up with your "it's just the Internet" attitude.

Erik

Erik, I understand you are a professional and this is your vocation. I do not know what you really want. Either my posts are not up to your standards? When I do post certain things, I get deleted. Not sure which posts go where. I don't have the time to dedicate that you do. People know where I post, when I post here. Perhaps you just want me gone? I just don't meet your standards. Jon

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
soulsurfersteph wrote:

Erik T. wrote:

Investorzzo,

Thanks,

Erik

Soul Surfer, I'd be interested in your impressions of the Celente thread, aside from Erik T's contribution. Did it engage you, as a reader? Did you learn anything from it?

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Jon,

I think your posts are excellent and the last thing I ever meant to imply was that you should be "gone" or stop posting. All I meant was to suggest that we have a place specificially designated for such things, and you could make your posts even better if you posted them in the Digest thread where more people could benefit from them.

My intent was just to suggest an imporvement, but I seem to have come across the wrong way. I apologize if you took offense, and I hope you'll consider my suggestion of posting articles appropriate to the Digest thread in the Digest thread. That's all.

Erik

Moderator John's picture
Moderator John

I would like to clarify that there is nothing wrong with posting a thread about anything so long as it does not violate the Forum Guidelines and Rules (which can be found on the top of each individual forum with some additional clarifications here), and so long as it is placed in the correct folder. That includes posting links to recent news articles in the "Current News & Events" folder.

I would also like to clarify that we expect the utmost exercise of civility in terms of respectful dialogue in order to foster an inviting, comfortable, and fruitful dialectic environment. 

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about current policy, feel free to PM or e-mail one of the Moderators, or to send a message through the site's contact form.

Thank you,

John

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Thank you for clarifying that, Moderator John. It is still my personal opinion that we can all help improve the quality of the site by submitting articles of this sort to the Daily Digest or posting them as replies to the Daily Digest thread. But I stand corrected on the matter of policy.

Best,

Erik

johnf's picture
johnf

As a semi-regular reader I, too, have noticed that the proportion of all posts here that are of notably high standards of information and intellect has been declining in recent months. That's not to say there's not a lot of great information here, there's just an increasing amount of not-so-useful (to me) comment and reprisal. I personally value the insightful comments here, but especially those from the regular and knowledgeable contributors..

IMO, one thing that can help ensure CM.com remains distinguished among other sites is if the more regular and knowledgeable contributors lead the way by adhering to an unmistakably clear tone of respect even when they think others might use the site in a manner they don't approve of.

Best regards.

ronmeisels's picture
ronmeisels

To Erik

Please refrain from critiquing other's who post on this site unless you have an actual and substantive critique as to their content!

Posters can decide where to post topics and discussions where they choose to and if there are any posts that make this site more ordinary it is yours.

What's next are you going to correct typos and complain if all caps are used?

Please get a life and try to understand that diversity is the spice of life and no one should have to be pidgeon holed by another poster and told to post their discussion where ever.

This site has always been great and we don't need opinionated posters unless they are responding to others opinions with their own opinions.

Please leave the moderating to the moderator and enjoy the site as much as possible without trying to make it into something which YOU think is better but is only a subjective critique.

I'm sure readers can browse the forums and Daily Digest and locate discussions which interest them without any simplification because it is not in any way over complicated to begin with unless you have some type of obsessive compulsive disorder that everything be perfect.

We live in an imperfect world and their are so many other things that you can devote your time and energy towards.

remember everything does not have to be to your liking.

I am not going to waste any more of my time and energy except to end this comment with the reiteration that your post is the first one I've read that gives this site any resemblance to other ordinary sites with the whining and site policing by posters who think they are self appointed cyber sheriffs.

Goodnight

Ron Meisels

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments